J. C. Penney Interview Questions

Updated Oct 22, 2014
Updated Oct 22, 2014

2.1

Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Very easy group interview and questions. There was no individual interview and most of the time was just working together to build a structure out of wooden blocks! A few questions were asked and the process probably only took about an hour.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you received service that was "above and beyond"   Answer Question
    Negotiation was offered but 9.00 seemed very fair at the time.

Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Downey, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Downey, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at J. C. Penney in August 2014.

I applied at the end of July and got a callback for Support Specialist five days later. The lady on the end of the phone was really friendly let me know that she liked what she saw on my resume and proceeded to ask me a few questions. Since I have worked retail experience, she asked me about my job duties, pros and cons, do I easily get frustrated, and what I have to offer as a support specialist, and other basic questions about school and career choices since I graduated college recently. She then stated that she liked what she heard and would like to invite me to interview for some "Talent Tryouts" for the following week at 8am. She then just went over the job description and I accepted to interview.
         I did my research and prepared myself for the interview by reading other questions posted on here and based on my prior experience interviewing. The interview I arrived half hour early was told we were expecting 7 other people, however, they did not show up until past 8am. Which I thought to myself where's the professionalism in that, but whatever none of my business I am here early and that's what counts. So, as soon as everyone was in the room, two ladies came in and introduced themselves and their job title and what they do. One was lead support and other lead pricing, I believe. Proceeding that, we went around the room introducing ourselves and any experience we may have in support. They took notes, then asked "what can we offer to the support team?". After that, she stated the important qualities they seek then walked us out to the floor, split us in teams of two, and as a team had us put clothes in the racks and organize a table (*they want to see communication between you and your partner*). After that they told us what we did good, and what it should look like. Afterwards they led us back to the room and told us that usually they would call us in a few days or so to let us know if we got the job or not, however, that for today they would let us know right there and then.
           So one by one they called us into another room. They called my name and walked me over to the other room, sat me down, and she told me you got the job. She let me know what I would be doing, talked salary, and that in 5 days they would call me for training. I was super excited and thanked her.

Interview Questions
    Considering that the minimum wage in Cali went up to $9, I didn't negotiate because I was making less before. So I agreed to $9.

Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Freehold, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Freehold, NJ

I applied online – interviewed at J. C. Penney in August 2014.

I was called 8/6/2014, after having applied three or four days prior, by a manager of the J.C. Penney store I applied to so as to setup an interview. The interview was held 5 days after, and was conducted primarily by a department supervisor of the support specialists. The interview consisted primarily of simple questions, like "why did you choose to apply at J.C. Penney?" and also included information regarding the position for which I had applied. Overall, the interview process was fairly simple and lasted about 20 minutes.

Interview Questions
    Offered minimum wage and accepted.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. C. Penney in August 2014.

The first step was an HR phone interview. The second step was a phone interview with 4 Managers, 2 half an hour interviews. The third step was an office interview with 4 Directors, 2 half an hour interviews and a group case study.

Interview Questions
    • How did you prepare for this interview?
      What is your salary expectation for this job?
      Tell me about a time when you had to plan and coordinate a project from start to finish?
        Answer Question
    if you are offered this role I would suggest to take it

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at J. C. Penney in August 2014.

Applied online and received a call about three weeks later to come in for a "Talent Audition." They say they don't "do interviews." They have you sit in a room without other people (there were 5 of us total) and have you introduce yourself. Then they give you pieces of paper with an assigned department and pre-created ideas to increase sales in that area. We had 10 minutes to read over everything and pick an idea that we thought would be best. Then we each had one minute to pitch our (assigned) idea to each other, followed by 10 minutes to pick which department idea was best for the store.
    After that we were given an iPad and had 10 seconds to look/describe at a 3d model. On the table was building blocks. Without touching them, we had to describe what we saw and begin building the model/tower. After our 10 second look we had 1 minute to describe and instruct. Once the next person went and did the same thing, you could touch the blocks again. We had 10 minutes to build the whole thing. It's basically a test about your patience and communication skills.
    At the end of the day it's a sales associate position, but the interview process requires you to think and act as though you're a higher-up position. They hired everyone in the interview.

Interview Questions
    • None, they didn't ask any questions- just gave us tasks and instructions.   Answer Question
    They tell you which department they want you in and what your hourly rate is. Non-negotiable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tiffin, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tiffin, OH

I applied online – interviewed at J. C. Penney in August 2014.

Was called for an interview, was in a group interview, did well, was called back for orientation. worked more hours during training. learned a number of the jobs during the training period and then were placed in our position.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were really pretty normal for an interview, like passed work history, how you would handle different situations. We were each asked some of the same questions and some were directed at us as individuals.   Answer Question
    no they pretty much have their pay scale set.

Hair Stylist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview was very quick . We went over my resume quickly . Asked if I was confident in my abilities . Not a lot about myself. more about how the salon at jc penney was operated. Toured the salon. The salon was modern and well kept. Discussed pay scale and discounts. It felt more like a orientation than an interview.

Stockroom Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wellington, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wellington, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. C. Penney.

Job posting did not specify hours of work. Group interview format. About 25 people were asked the same 5 questions. Took about 45 min. Don't know how they can pick quality employees.

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel about soliciting JC Penny credit cards.   Answer Question

part-time job changed to seasonal.

Customer Service Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at J. C. Penney.

I applied online got a call about 3 days later. I was invited to an interview that following Wednesday. It was group interview as expected with 6 other people. He asked us each about 4 questions asked what department we would like to be in. Brought in his boss who asked us 1 questiob. Each. They went out and talked. He came back in said he was gonna bring us out individually. The first 4 people were indeed brought out individually (I'm assuming they didn't get the job). When he came back in and sat down with the the 4 of us who were left and offered us the job. Was told to expect a call in about a week and a half for onboarding. Overall really good experience.

Fine Jewelry Expert Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at J. C. Penney.

Very basic. Tell me about yourself and situational questions. Interviewer was very excited and polite. She informed on the company and all the changes that were occurring along with future changes. She gave me her history with the company and then asked if i had any questions for her regarding the company or about the position.

I was able to negotiate my schedule being that I needed Fridays off. It was approved.