J. C. Penney Interview Questions

Updated Jul 5, 2015

2.1

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redlands, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at J. C. Penney (Redlands, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Group interview. We built a tower of blocks as a team(6 ppl). Each person Took turns leading the group. It was only an hour and a half long. The manager conducting the interview explain things very well. After the blocks game, he told us what positions were open and what JCPenney was looking for in an employee. He answered all our questions. It was by far one of the best interview experiences I've ever had. It was fun & Low stress.

Interview Questions

• We were asked to introduce ourselves and describe a little about our background work experience.   1 Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Marcos, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at J. C. Penney (San Marcos, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

I waited forever to hear back from the, when I finally called 2 weeks after showing up, they said there had been an error with the system and they'd just lost my application. I asked if I should reapply, and he said "Yes, and call me when you've finished so we know it's been received. I re-applied, called him, and was immediately given an impromptu phone interview. I was then asked to come in for a face-to-face interview.
    When I met the hiring manager, he was nice, asked me questions like "What was a time you received great customer service?" and "What was a time you received poor customer service?" and then "How important do you think customer service is to a company?"
    He was also willing to negotiate with me about pay. Interview + my questions and extra rapport about the job lasted a little over an hour.

Interview Questions

• "What was a time you received great customer service?" "What was a time you received poor customer service?" "How important do you think customer service is to a company?"   Answer Question

Sephora Product Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lone Tree, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. C. Penney (Lone Tree, CO) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online on a Friday and was called in for an interview the next Monday, to be interviewed on Tuesday. The interview was a group, and since there was only one Sephora position available, there were other managers watching the interview to see if they'd like to hire any of the others. They were very straightforward about it, which was nice since I might otherwise think it was a bait and switch.
    There were supposed to be 4 people, but we ended up having only 3. We met in the offices and were immediately introduced to the blocks when we sat down.
    They pass around an iPad with an image of a block structure (which you can spin to get different views) that you look at for 10 seconds. During the ten seconds you can view and instruct the group on how to build it. Then you have another 50 seconds for instructions only - no viewing and no touching the blocks. Then it's the next person's turn. You have a total of 15 minutes to complete it, and it must be accurate to be considered complete.
    Next, we were each given a paper with 4 ideas on how to improve sales in a certain department. Everyone got a different department. For example, mine was the children's department. The ideas were - a small Disney theater with 36 seats for adults and children, a series of 6 xbox consoles with 4 controllers each, a carousel that seats 12 at a time, and an area for a 'fashion show' with costumes for the children.
    We were also given a sheet of paper to take notes on. You decide which idea is most likely to increase sales and take notes on why, because it's presented to you like you'll be doing a presentation to EVERYONE in the room on what you chose. However, the notes will be taken after the 10 minutes is up and you will only have to discuss with the other applicants. Between you and the other applicants, you decide which idea is the best for the store, then that's it.
    The -only- questions we were asked was to repeat our names and fill out a paper with our availability.

They promised to call us the next week and followed through. I was not offered the Sephora position, but they wanted to move forward with hiring me for elsewhere in JCPenney. They're currently running the background check, and will then call to schedule orientation. It may vary by location, but I was told that I will not be drug tested.

Sephora Product Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Ana, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. C. Penney (Santa Ana, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I had a phone interview that was about 15 minutes long. She then said she wanted to meet me so she scheduled for a one on one interview the following day. The interview went really fast and she did she wanted me to meet with the HR lady of JCPenney so luckily the lady had time. I probably talked to her for like 5 minutes and she told me not to make any plans for two weeks. I got a call back from the Sephora manager a week later telling me I got the job! :)

Interview Questions

• Describe a time a customer was angry and what did you do to make the customer happy.   Answer Question
    • What was your favorite part of your job? Least favorite?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you made a customer feel really happy.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time you had a bad experience at a store or restaurant.   Answer Question
    • How would you make a customer come back to Sephora?   1 Answer
    • What's your favorite brand at Sephora and why   Answer Question
    • Why Sephora?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. She told me what I was going to get paid and I accepted it.

Customer Service Chat Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lenexa, KS

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at J. C. Penney (Lenexa, KS) in May 2015.

Interview

Easy. Lay back. Applied online got called the same day. Interview next day, did drug screening on spot & was told they wanted to proceed with me moving to the next step.

Interview Questions

• Tell a story of a time you over came a problem with a solution? ( not exact wording but of that sort)   Answer Question

Was offer another job somewhere else that benefit more & was more in my field.

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milledgeville, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at J. C. Penney (Milledgeville, GA) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview was very pleasant. Of course you're going to be nervous as soon as you walk through the door but, Mrs. Tammie makes sure that you are completely comfortable!! She will ask you simple questions about yourself and also talk about things going on in the world today. The interview will be smooth and really quick.

Human Resources Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, MS

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. C. Penney (Greenville, MS) in May 2015.

Interview

The first interview was a group interview of 5 people. The second was a one on one interview with the Store Manager or Store Leader. A very easy interview process.

Salon Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online – interviewed at J. C. Penney (Phoenix, AZ) in May 2015.

Interview

The interview process was fairly easy. the manager just asked if i had experience and what my availabily was. i applied saturday night and i was hired by monday morning.

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at J. C. Penney in May 2015.

Interview

The entire interview was really easy and laid back. I was in a group interview with one other guy who had experience while This is my first job. The interviewer just asked questions to get to know us, why we applied, future goals, and situational questions as well. When it was almost over he said he would do separate interviews and I was offered the job right there. But I was told normally there are more people and they play games but not the time.

We did have to pitch an idea to three other employees and it was incredibly easy.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was available to negotiate and get higher than his offering price. The only exception was I don't start training for another week because they were undergoing an inspection the following week.

Customer Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Merrillville, IN

Application

I applied online – interviewed at J. C. Penney (Merrillville, IN) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online and got a call for an interview a week later. It was a group interview, we played a block game and after that she told me and one other person to stay and talk to the HR. I think it went well it was only ten minutes just asked a few questions, now I'm just waiting to see if I got the job. It's been two days since.