J. C. Penney Interview Questions

Updated Aug 28, 2015

2.1

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mount Pleasant, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Mount Pleasant, MI) in July 2015.

Interview

I had a group interview with 3 other girls there's about 4 parts to it. The first part is just giving your availability and telling everyone about yourself. The second part is the block exercise. We had 15 minutes total each of us had to look at the block picture on an iPad for 10 secs then explain it to the group for about 1-2 minutes. And we kept doing that til our 15 minutes were up. The third part each of us got a set of options to choose that'll help JCP the most. Those are split up by section, one girl got fashion, another kids, another kids, and mine was home. And then we had to discuss which idea was the best. The fourth and last part was going out on the sales floor and selling/helping a "customer" (a JCP employee). We each got a different section and a different thing we need to help/sell. After that I was offered the job. Now just waiting for background check. Be outgoing, come out on top as a leader, pay attention to detail, smile and always react.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Modesto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Modesto, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

Really easy. the process took 2 weeks and they call you back after the interview to tell you if you got the job or not! I would recommend to dress nicely because they want their employees to represent the company and look for those who have a business casual look.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Dodge, IA

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Fort Dodge, IA) in July 2015.

Interview

First there was a phone interview with a few simple questions. Then a few days later, there was the in-person interview. It was supposed to be a group interview, but not enough people showed up, so it turned into individual interviews. They asked me more questions over the phone than they did in-person. Everyone was super friendly, too.

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied online within a day or two I got a phone call for a interview . It was easy the interviewer was very. Nice easy to talk to. Was short maybe 20 minutes max .

Interview Questions

• Asked about my retail experience, and we spoke about that and what I'd be doing mainly . I wasn't asked Amy questions really because the location I applied for they were hiring many new people anyway.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I didn't have to I was given the pay I initially chose and as far as work hours I work when I set up my availability

Customer Service Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J. C. Penney in July 2015.

Interview

The interview consisted on 4 other people besides myself and one interviewer. MAKE SURE YOU ARE ON TIME. One person tried coming in 5 minutes late and the interviewer told them to leave. Besides that, the interviewer was very nice and everyone who was applying was very nice and outspoken. I was the youngest one in the group (18) and i was surprised because it seems like an out of high school job. The interviewer asked very easy questions to which required about a minute of talking each. After the group interview, we each went back and had one on one conversations letting you know if you got the job or not.

Customer Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Springfield, MO) in July 2015.

Interview

What a joke this was....nobody was over 20 in our group of ten people but me. Opening question was tell us what evil villain you would be and why?? Got the impression the girl hiring manager that that could not be over 28 was not,no way let someone older or with college obtained get a foot in the door. Said she would be honest with us then refused to tell us anything about pay, played a stupid and I mean stupid block test. What I got out of this?? Was her and the manager over the entire women's department loved tattoos ( he was covered in them) and they said if you have body piecing or tats you have to own them... they were not looking for any higher intelligence besides that it was a click I think with us being told we would only work 30 days on trail. This meant 30 days to make it easier on the click for back to school and I guess they thought it was good work experience if you was 18. I had help from the inside getting this interview but she was the only one gonna be able to go to the bar let's put it like that.

Interview Questions

• Do you have anyone you know work here   1 Answer

Customer Service Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Temecula, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Temecula, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received a call about a week later. I was called at 9 am and was told there would be a group interview going on that same day at 3 pm. I showed up at 3 pm and was taken to a room with eight other candidates. We introduced ourselves then where given pamphlets for the JCPenney credit card. We were given a few minutes to study it and then to stand in groups of two and convince the other person about the benefits of applying for the credit card. We were told about the positions available and hourly information. After we were taken to a separate room individually and told if we qualified or not.

Interview Questions

• What was the best customer service you ever had and what was the worst?   Answer Question

Sephora Product Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J. C. Penney in July 2015.

Interview

The most relaxed interview I've had. I had a group interview with 3 other girls.I applied for the Sephora Product Consultant, as did the other 3 girls. They only had 1 opening for Sephora, but we were all asked if we were interested in other positions they had available. We were instructed to build a small tower using wooden blocks. Each of us had 10 second to look at the picture of the tower and then for about 20 seconds we would instruct the rest of the group. There were about 5 individuals in the room watching us build the tower. The key is to try your best and have fun with your group. You don't have to build the tower right, what they want to see is that you can work in a team and have fun. I recommend talking with the other interviewees before the interview, if you get the chance. They also emphasized in wanting open availability. They wanted individuals who were available to work weekends, particularly on Sundays. They mentioned not hiring you if you wanted Sundays off; I live in a Mormon community and people have been know not to work on Sunday due to this. It was also stated that if you could not show up to training, they would offer the position to someone else. My interview was on a Wednesday and I was called on Saturday and offered a position in the children's department.

Interview Questions

• Introduce yourself and tell us why J.C. Penney?   1 Answer

Sales Support/Replenishment Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Orlando, FL) in July 2015.

Interview

Horrible, the manager called me a liar because I didnt saw him and he told me that I looked at him a couple of times and that wasnt true. Even if they hire me I wouldnt work for them having that horrible boss. I'll guess it will be different in another jc penney store.

Interview Questions

• Why J.C. Penney and not other retailer?   1 Answer

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Walton Beach, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Fort Walton Beach, FL) in July 2015.

Interview

The interview process was relaxed. The HR associate was on vacation. I had no ideal of the title of the person conducting the interview. The interview lasted 20 minutes. I was informed of the causal business dress code. The hourly wage wage and the credit card sale policy was a deal breaker for me. The hourly wage was 8.75 and the policy on credit was stated to me as "if you don't sale at least 2 approved credit cards in one week you will be fired". It doesn't matter how many hours you work a week.

Interview Questions

• 1. How many years of experience do you have in retail? 2. Can you tell me a little about yourself?   Answer Question