J. C. Penney

2.1

Photographer/Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at J. C. Penney in September 2014.

The manager called me within a few days of application. I started training a few days after. Training was fast paced and crammed in. I would have like to have a little more time to learn everything rather than getting thrown in right away. The interview process was basically everything I already had on my resume. It wasn't very formal but I suppose it was a good thing considering most employees are high school or college students. Manager offered the position on the spot and called me as soon as my background test came back. It was a fairly simple and quick process.

Interview Questions
    • I have been in the workforce since I was 17 so the questions were basic. I was comfortable as was the manager. I suppose if I were younger, some of the questions might have been harder to answer since the work experience might not have been there.   View Answer
    The position was offered and I accepted. This is a seasonal position so there was no room for negotiation.

Sephora Product Consultant, Home and Window Department Interview

I applied online – interviewed at J. C. Penney in September 2014.

I've had two interviews with JCP. I originally applied to be in Sephora but they consider that a "promotion" within the store. My first interview was one on one and they asked questions about me and my work history. They also asked questions relating to sales and customer service (which they are huge on). Overall it was a pretty typical interview and I was offered the job in commission sales in the Window department. I declined because I knew I wouldn't show my best self in that department and I already had a sales job, so if I was going to leave that job it would have to be something worth leaving for. Fast forward to my next interview, they were hiring seasonal for Sephora and it was a group interview. This is JCP's typical interview process and it is HORRIBLE. First off, they don't ask you much if anything about your credentials or about yourself. You have to get into your group and pick between two scenarios that you think will drive business to the store and present it to the leadership. After that they bring you out onto the floor and have you pick something inside Sephora to sell. It's awkward and uncomfortable, not something everyone will be good at. They want to see you work in a team I guess, but role playing and brainstorming in an interview with people you don't know and being put on the spot when you're already nervous to make a good impression is a recipe for disaster.

Interview Questions
    • Pick between two scenarios with your group and choose which one will help bring business to the store.   Answer Question

I declined because I wanted a different position in the store that was unavailable.

Planning and Merchandising Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. C. Penney in September 2014.

I applied online though a campus job site. From there I was selected to interview in person. The interview in person was casual and they were gauging interest in the position and industry. From then I had two 30 minute phone interviews which were your typical behavioral interview questions as well as specific questions about the JCPenny store itself and the brands they carry

Loss Prevention Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at J. C. Penney in September 2014.

Received a call a few weeks after putting in the application. Interviewed the next day, received an email a week later asking to come back for a second interview with the Store Manager. The interview was a week later, the Manager was very nice and seemed happy to be there. He told me to expect a call in a week. Got an email 3 weeks later saying I did not get the job.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. C. Penney in September 2014.

Filled out application at store on computer including assesment test (what would you do scenerios). Got a call a few days later for interview, easy, usual questions..."why do you want to work here?" Started training few days later, part in a group, part on "register" program on computer. Better to show up in person, I think they decide what dept they want to put you in based on what you look like...young stylish go to junior dept... Dress business casual for interview and if hired.

Customer Service Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at J. C. Penney.

Applied online through the JCP career website which involves filling out personal information, work experience, and taking one of those compatibility tests. Received a phone call about a week later from one of the store's managers. Spoke a bit on the phone about my availability and to set up and in-person interview. The interview was really easy and fast. A lot of the interview consisted of the manager telling me about the position and their expectations for an ideal candidate. Had a one on one interview with the manager of my department and then another one on one with the store manager. All followed by a tour of the store and filling out paperwork.

Interview Questions
    • None, really. The questions were all very basic and general (i.e. easy).   Answer Question
    They have set pay scales based on your amount of work experience, etc. I started out at minimum wage, since the position was my first job.

Human Resource Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at J. C. Penney.

First you get a phone interview from HQ

You meet with a store leader at the closest store location

You meet with your possible store leader at the location you would most likely be hire at

Your last interview would be with the district leader

Interview Questions
    • Everything is behavior based. For example time me about a time were you assumed a leadership role, what was the situation, outcome, time line, and what was your specific role.   Answer Question
    They didn't negotiated. They just gave me a number and said that was the best that they could do.

Sales Manager Trainee Interview

Contacted by a College Recruiter. Asked different questions to determine leadership skills and work ethic. After phone interview with recruiter, a face to face interview with a store manager is scheduled. If he/she likes you then the recruiter sets up a phone or in-person interview (depending on location) with a District Manager. Pretty standard interviewing through the whole process.

No negotiation.

Customer Service Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. C. Penney.

I was called in to do a Talent Tryout, which is the first step in the interview process. There was a total of 6 people in the interview, with the HR Specialist and the JCP Salon Manager watching us. We first had to introduce ourselves, and then we did an activity dealing with building a tower out of wooden blocks, in which we had to instruct our team mates. Then, we did an activity where we were each given a different department and two ideas that could help benefit that department in the store. We had to pick one and say why to our team mates. After, we all had to decide which idea would benefit JC Penney and why. After we were done, the HR Specialist told us that we would be getting a call in a few days if you were chosen to move on to the next step. I did not get the job, but it's ok because it was only a temporary job for back to school.

Interview Questions
    • The building blocks activity was the most intimidating for me because I accidentally messed up, and instructing others is just not really my thing. It just depends on your personality. I guess it was a way for them to see how well you are able to lead a group and how you interact with others. Just be prepared to do that if you do get called in for an interview.   Answer Question

Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Downey, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Downey, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at J. C. Penney in August 2014.

I applied at the end of July and got a callback for Support Specialist five days later. The lady on the end of the phone was really friendly let me know that she liked what she saw on my resume and proceeded to ask me a few questions. Since I have worked retail experience, she asked me about my job duties, pros and cons, do I easily get frustrated, and what I have to offer as a support specialist, and other basic questions about school and career choices since I graduated college recently. She then stated that she liked what she heard and would like to invite me to interview for some "Talent Tryouts" for the following week at 8am. She then just went over the job description and I accepted to interview.
         I did my research and prepared myself for the interview by reading other questions posted on here and based on my prior experience interviewing. The interview I arrived half hour early was told we were expecting 7 other people, however, they did not show up until past 8am. Which I thought to myself where's the professionalism in that, but whatever none of my business I am here early and that's what counts. So, as soon as everyone was in the room, two ladies came in and introduced themselves and their job title and what they do. One was lead support and other lead pricing, I believe. Proceeding that, we went around the room introducing ourselves and any experience we may have in support. They took notes, then asked "what can we offer to the support team?". After that, she stated the important qualities they seek then walked us out to the floor, split us in teams of two, and as a team had us put clothes in the racks and organize a table (*they want to see communication between you and your partner*). After that they told us what we did good, and what it should look like. Afterwards they led us back to the room and told us that usually they would call us in a few days or so to let us know if we got the job or not, however, that for today they would let us know right there and then.
           So one by one they called us into another room. They called my name and walked me over to the other room, sat me down, and she told me you got the job. She let me know what I would be doing, talked salary, and that in 5 days they would call me for training. I was super excited and thanked her.

Interview Questions
    Considering that the minimum wage in Cali went up to $9, I didn't negotiate because I was making less before. So I agreed to $9.