J. C. Penney Retail Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jul 27, 2015

2.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at J. C. Penney (New York, NY) in July 2015.

Interview

I applied online within a day or two I got a phone call for a interview . It was easy the interviewer was very. Nice easy to talk to. Was short maybe 20 minutes max .

Interview Questions

• Asked about my retail experience, and we spoke about that and what I'd be doing mainly . I wasn't asked Amy questions really because the location I applied for they were hiring many new people anyway.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I didn't have to I was given the pay I initially chose and as far as work hours I work when I set up my availability

Other Interview Reviews for J. C. Penney

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at J. C. Penney in June 2015.

Interview

Went in for a group interview called a talent tryout with four other applicants. First we were given 10 minutes to come up with a one minute pitch for new ideas for the store. After that we were given the task of building a structure together, we each had two 10 second turns to look at the example of the structure we were supposed to build, then given one minute to explain to the other group members how to put it together.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aurora, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. C. Penney (Aurora, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

I submitted an online application and about a week later I got a call from the store manager, who wanted a mini-phone interview. She asked about my experience in retail and if I was applying for seasonal or part-time. She then asked if I was interested in participating in a group interview, which was 2 days later (today). I got to JCP about 10 minutes early, and waited in the reception area for the other interviewees (2 other people). Once everyone arrived, 2 managers (Sheila and Eddie) moved us to a big meeting room. We started by introducing ourselves to the other interviewees. After introduction, we began our first activity. It was the building block one. We were shown a picture of a building for 10 seconds and then had 1 minute to instruct the other interviewees on how to build the building without touching the blocks. After 15 minutes, we were stopped and then we compared what we built to the actual picture. Eddie said that although we didn't get the building 100% correct, we were the first group to actually finish the structure. Sheila and Eddie then went back to their office to discuss, while we waited. Sheila came back about 5 minutes later and said we were all wonderful and that she wanted to offer us all positions at JCP if we were interested. She then took each of us individually, to discuss wages and departments we were interested in. My orientation is on Monday and I could not be more excited. I am a frequent customer at JCPenney and I am very happy to be apart of their family. NOTE: The activity was to see how well we could communicate with each other and how well we worked in a team. The only way I believe you could not get this job is if you are an absolute witch to everybody, or if you just refuse to speak.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There wasn't any negotIation. She said "You will be starting at $8.25/hour, is that acceptable?" I said yes.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Christiansburg, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at J. C. Penney (Christiansburg, VA) in June 2015.

Interview

The interview process was rather uncomfortable. The phone-interview was fine, but they had me do a second interview that they called "a Talent Tryout," they had me role play selling a customer an item they were looking for in a store I didn't know very well. They were very concerned about my past work places even though I was not with them anymore, and they seemed to talk over me a lot during the phone interview. They had me practice debating other employees when it came to ideas of new departments to add to the store. It wasn't entirely unpleasant, just very strange and uncomfortable.

Interview Questions

• Can you help me find (certain brand of necklace)?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Redlands, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at J. C. Penney (Redlands, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Group interview. We built a tower of blocks as a team(6 ppl). Each person Took turns leading the group. It was only an hour and a half long. The manager conducting the interview explain things very well. After the blocks game, he told us what positions were open and what JCPenney was looking for in an employee. He answered all our questions. It was by far one of the best interview experiences I've ever had. It was fun & Low stress.

Interview Questions

• We were asked to introduce ourselves and describe a little about our background work experience.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pleasant Prairie, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. C. Penney (Pleasant Prairie, WI) in April 2015.

Interview

First there was a basic phone screen with HR. After that there was a group interview which consisted of five applicants and one HR Leader. Everyone was asked different questions and we all answered two. It was a very upbeat, friendly atmosphere. It lasted slightly over an hour.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

none

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bronx, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at J. C. Penney (Bronx, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

I had the interview today it was an group interview you had to show act out a role that they gave you then you had to choose a topic from a paper they gave everybody had to agree on one topic that you think will benefit the company and the last thing was you had to tell her why should she hire you. And we all was hired on the spot

Interview Questions

• Only One question was asked which was why should we hire you ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Silverdale, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. C. Penney (Silverdale, WA) in October 2014.

Interview

Overall, the process took about 2-3 weeks. They called me one week after I applied. Then the manager ask a few question on the phone and scheduled me for a group interview. There was about 6 of us. During the group interview, we had to do this activity where all of us will get a chance to talk/lead. I'm not going to tell much detail about it because it might not be the same in other places. Its a fun game though! Then the manager gave us a sheet of paper and a 4 scenarios, where we had to choose one and explain it to everyone. About 3 days after, they called back and told me that i'm hired!

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview

It was a group interview which is something I never experienced. Everyone was given a chance to speak and based on the group interview, the hiring managers picked the best fit candidates.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult part was making yourself stand out above the rest without being overbearing.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in College Station, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at J. C. Penney (College Station, TX) in May 2014.

Interview

You submit the online application and you have to pass this test they give you. It is super easy to tell what answers they want so don't worry about that. If they like you, they'll call you in for an interview. I don't know if this is common, but in my interview they didn't ask me very many questions. Instead they just told me what the job was going to be like.