J. C. Penney

Updated Jun 30, 2014

2.7

7 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. C. Penney.

It was a group interview which is something I never experienced. Everyone was given a chance to speak and based on the group interview, the hiring managers picked the best fit candidates.

Interview Questions
  • The most difficult part was making yourself stand out above the rest without being overbearing.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for J. C. Penney

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hickory, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hickory, NC

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at J. C. Penney in November 2013.

Called on the phone and asked to come in for interview. Group interview with about 10 or so other people. Two or three managers and HR conducted the interview. They handed out papers with ideas and asked us to sell the ideas to the group. They chose two people to go on with the interview: the one whose idea everyone liked the best and the one who talked the most.

Interview Questions
    • There was really only one task I got to, the one that involved the selling the idea scenario. The group interview was unexpected, I expected a one on one interview process.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orland Park, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orland Park, IL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at J. C. Penney in November 2010.

When I first applied online, I had to sit through about a 5 minute video followed by the basic information about you and your previous jobs etc. Then I had to answer a ton of questions about what I would do in scenarios and after that I got a call literally 30 minutes later asking me about my availability and then when I could come in for the interview. Came in, interview took about 10 minutes and I was hired on the spot. I was offered minimum wage and the position I got was what I wanted. Orientation had to be the worst part of the whole job because everyone that got hired had to come in three or four days in a row two watch some 90's videos about good customer service and do group discussions and reflections. After that I was sent to my area where I was assigned and all I had to do was fold and talk to customers. Eventually, they trained me on the register. Overall I loved that job. Great coworkers, great customers just a really good environment. Unfortunately, it was only seasonal and they were only keeping about 10% of the seasonal employees.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation. I got offered minimum wage.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at J. C. Penney in October 2010.

Initial communications were succinct and to the point. The interview was clear, concise and asked the right kinds of questions for the job. After references were checked, the job was offered right away.

Interview Questions
    • Will you stay with us after you get a "real job?"   View Answer
    There was none. It was a retail job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wellington, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wellington, FL

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at J. C. Penney in August 2010.

When getting hired, you get call for interview where they schedule a date for it, when you come in, you then find out that its group interview. it doesn't last long but its only for one time. You then come back after three or days when background check is complete and finally you start training realizing then that you got the job.

Interview Questions
    I was ok with it because of my lack of experience at the time

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at J. C. Penney in May 2010.

The interview was conducted by three separate people in order to get a thorough feel for the type of worker I was. They asked a series of questions regarding my experience with customer service and employment history. They also gave me a set of scenarios that I might come across on the job at JCP. Depending on how well we answered our questions, we were considered for employment.

Interview Questions
    • They asked a question regarding how we would handle a difficult situation if we were pressured to do something dishonest by a customer or employee.   Answer Question

Retail Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at J. C. Penney in May 2010.

Personally, my interview was quite simple. More about availability and telling me about the job and asking if I thought I could handle such tasks. Didn't last more than few minutes. Started off with about 10 of us, store manager told us about JC Penny as a company, their goals, and how they value their company. Then broke off into 1 on 1 interviews with the store manager, sales manager, and a department manager.

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel about interacting with customers and putting them first?   Answer Question
    Non negotiable