J. C. Penney

Getting the Interview

150 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at J. C. Penney

Interview Details – Be up front about your goals and don't let them promise you things and get your hopes up. Go into the interview with knowledge that they may not care about your needs at all but just want you to work hard and be dedicated no matter what.

Interview Question – Explain a time when you gave excellent customer service and went above expectations.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I got a higher hourly pay but they promised that I would get a chance at management which is why I took the job, and have been 3 years with no promotion.

Very Easy Interview

Pembroke Pines, FL

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney in June 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online. Was called a few days later by the store manager who asked me to come in that day. Asked a few questions about me and my previous job and hired me on the spot.

Interview Question – What is your greatest weakness?   Answer Question

Nashua, NH

I applied online and interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview Details – I applied online, I heard back fairly quickly with a phone call from a really friendly woman in management who does the hiring there. She asked me about previous retail experience, what department I would want to work in and if I was applying for a part time or seasonal position. She told me she was interested in an interview. I went in for the interview and dressed professionally. It was a group interview with two other people which I was not aware of until I arrived there. It took place in a tiny office. The store has mens and womens departments and there were men and women in the interview. We were each given a sheet of paper with different sales tactics scenarios that were hypothetical. We each had to choose which one was the best in our opinion for the stores' sales and the customers. The man in the interview chose an awful scenario which was a virtual golf game in the mens department and he said he chose it because it was a good idea for men to have something to do while the women were shopping. The other woman in the interview and myself both chose the same scenario but had different and unique explanations which was great because it showed our individuality and what we could bring to the sales force. We chose a scenario where there was a booth or some sort of computer program that customers could go to that would measure their exact size for shoes, pants, tops, dresses, etc and it would allow them to choose the type of clothes they wanted to buy that were available in the store. I said that it was great because people could be measured privately and were shown actual items they could order and buy in store and would encourage them to come back again to shop. After this scenario activity the manager dumped out a box of blocks on her desk and pulled out an ipad with a photo of what the blocks should look like put together. Each of us being interviewed had to take a turn telling the other two interviewees how to assemble the blocks to make the blocks look like the photo on the ipad. Only the person directing the other interviewees could look at the photo and we would switch every few minutes until the blocks were built into whatever the photo showed. This illustrated our leadership capabilities and our ability to take direction. There wasn't much talk in the interview about our experience and why we should have the job. It was like a big test. After the block activity the manager explained the basic departments we could work in and what the duties are. Asked if we had questions, etc. It was a 45+ minute long experience. We all left not knowing if we got the job. A few days after the interview I got a phone call saying they would love to hire me and they offered me a number for my hourly pay over the phone and asked if i would accept it. After I agreed they told me when to come in for computer training. I showed up for training a week later and the other people i interviewed with were also hired. It was a typical day of training where we put all of our employee info into the system, got our store discount card and had to watch a few hours of videos on what happens when a child goes missing and how to work the registers. After a few days of computer training they send you to the department you will be working with and they paired me with someone who could show me the ropes. They even asked the person they paired me with to take their break at the same time as me so I would have someone to sit with at lunch. The break room is like a mini cafeteria.

Interview Question – I believe they asked me about past stressful experiences and how I handled them.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They called me over the phone to offer me the job and offered me my hourly rate because of how much past retail experience I had.

Atlanta, GA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview Details – It was a group tryout. We were given scenarios to brainstorm from and come up with possible solutions.

Interview Question – The total tryout was a unique scenario in itself because it required you to work with the other candidates to complete the tasks. We had to work as a team. I thought it was great.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was pretty simple. I received a phone call and was given an offer.

Bourbonnais, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview Details – My sister worked at this company, so I was called to set up an interview shortly after applying online. After the interview, I was told I would be hired pending back ground check, and I was asked which department I would prefer to work in out of Women's Apparel, Children's Apparel, or Sales Support.

Interview Question – Tell me about yourself? (I was in high school, so I wasn't sure who I was at the time)   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney in February 2014.

Interview Details – there were 3 interviews that i had. i had done a lot of research on the company and thought that the first interview would have been the group interview, then the phone interview then the 1:1 interview. I had the phone interview first. when they called me back for a second interview, i did more research and thought i was going in for the 1:1 interview, but it turned out to be the group interview. this didnt really surprise me, because i knew it might be a possibility.

Interview Question – the most difficult part was during the group interview when the other candidates and i were told to build a structure. we had 10 seconds to view the complete structure, then a minute to direct the others to build it. we could not touch it during that minute. it fell apart when we started to add to it, build it higher. Look at the completed picture carefully and build it slowly, you have 10 minutes in total.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation. took 8.25 an hour

Bloomington, IL

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney in November 2013.

Interview Details – Group interview with 4 others, it was a team building, using skills type of interview.

Negotiation Details – N/A

Washington, IL

I interviewed at J. C. Penney in January 2012.

Interview Details – They asked simple questions, not very many though.

Interview Question – What industries have you worked in before?   Answer Question

Niles, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J. C. Penney in March 2011.

Interview Details – My mom worked there and got me an opportunity to interview with the store manager.

Interview Question – Name a time were you played a leadership role? how do you feel about approaching customer? How is your time management?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied online and interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview Details – The group interview took about 40 minutes, and the one on one interview was about 20. They will ask questions of your resume, and you might be asked to perform in pretend/mock sales.

Interview Question – Do you think competition between coworkers is healthy?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at J. C. Penney

Worked for J. C. Penney? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at J. C. Penney Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 150 interview reviews posted anonymously by J. C. Penney employees and interview candidates.