J. C. Penney

Average Difficulty
173 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J. C. Penney in February 2010.

Interview Details – this would like the most toughest part of your day. the interview was so nice. i could not believe my ears when i heard i got the job. i survive the day.

Joliet, IL

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at J. C. Penney in April 2014.

Interview Details – They call you and tell you that they've received your application, ask you a few questions such as: why do you want to work at JCP? Or what department you'd like to work in. After that they'll decide if they want you to come in for an interview. Once your there, the head of that JCP will interview you. :) If you get the job, they'll give you your start date and train you.

Interview Questions

Roseville, CA

I applied online - interviewed at J. C. Penney in August 2010.

Interview Details – same as all other interview processes for entry level sales. what you did before and what you can bring, your personality and to measure how outgoing and friendly you are. Interviewer hardly looked like she was listening.

Interview Question – situational question and how to handle it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Schaumburg, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney in February 2013.

Interview Details – Applied for the job in store computer, received a call from a manager couple days later, then had a group interview where I got hired on the spot. The interview was a group interview.

Interview Question – "describe a time where you inspired someone"   Answer Question

Miami, FL

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney in July 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and within days i was called by the manager for an interview. When i went inside, surprisingly there were 3 other people waiting inside. (Southland Mall in Miami Florida) The manger put us in a room and gave us a sheet of paper and we had to pick 1 out of 4 new business ideas for the company. After that the managers walked out to talk about us i guess. When they came back they gave us a scenario. I had to act like i worked in the footwear department and i had to sell the product to the manager. We were all told to come back tomorrow and meet th manager so im guessing we all got the job.

Interview Question – What would you do if your department didnt have the correct shoe size?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was open to any pay. Thats the best way to go

Sacramento, CA

I applied in-person - interviewed at J. C. Penney in July 2013.

Interview Details – Short interviewing at the job fair. I was looking for informational interview so it was very easy and the interview was very open and willing to give all the details about the position and what someone could expect

Reason for Declining – only personal reasons

Paramus, NJ

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney in June 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online, and the next day I called them for a follow up. I asked for a application status update and an interview. The HR replied by asking me the questions "tell me about yourself and why J.C. Penney?"

Interview Question – 1. If you could change one thing about your previous job, what would it be?
2. Why do you want to work here?
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was offered $9.00/hr and took it without negotiation since it was more than what I wanted.

Concord, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney in November 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewed with manager. The interview consisted of 30 minutes of conversation. Was hired immediately. I was given a quick tour and was told the department I was assigned to work in. I then had to sit at a computer and input personal information for HR. Once that was completed I was given hours and told they changed weekly there were no set schedules.

Interview Question – I was't given difficult questions. They were all pretty basic.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. They pay low and don't give you room to move in.

Farmington, MO

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney in March 2012.

Interview Details – I really wanted this job, I called many times asking for an interview. I finally got it. It was quick and painless. Looking back I would have thought more inquiry would have been necessary.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you overcame a difficult decision.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Take it or leave it.

Woodbridge, VA

I interviewed at J. C. Penney in May 2014.

Interview Details – There are group interviews every Tuesday followed up by an individual interview. It is fairly simple and easy to get hired if you have the right attitude. The HR is very nice, and I actually enjoyed the process.

Interview Question – Trying to make a sales pitch to other people   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Worked for J. C. Penney? Contribute to the Community!