J. C. Penney Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jun 28, 2015

1.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. C. Penney (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

I was interviewed by the manager of women's wear and then the store manager. Each interview took approximately 15 minutes. Once the first manager approved, she needed to seek the approval of the manager of the store. I imagine that if the first interview doesn't go well, you will not speak with the second manager. This could help you to gauge how the interview went.

Interview Questions

• They asked me about my volunteer experience and what causes i stood for.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for J. C. Penney

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview

Very simple process, they act very serious and professional when you enter the interview but unless you're interviewing for a manager position you pretty much have it locked up - easy questions about your background.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you saw a customer stealing an item?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westland, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at J. C. Penney (Westland, MI) in May 2015.

Interview

Got called in for a group interview within a week and a half of applying. There was 5 of us and we had to work together to build a block structure based on the picture we saw. (We individually had 10 seconds to view the picture and instruct the others on how to build it) That's literally it. There was no formal interview or anything. We all got hired on the spot except for one person.

Interview Questions

• Which department are you interested in working in?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview

Asked a few basic questions, asked about schooling, availability, pay, and experience, very simple questions, not at all challenging, asked about availability and if I was willing to work weekends on a rotating basis, and nights, got offered the job on the spot.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I negotiated pay, he offered $9 but I wanted $10, and I got 10.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview

The woman conducting the interview made two other candidates and I build a picture she showed us out of blocks. She then made us pitch a possible idea to drive sales in a certain department of the store, like women's or kids. Once everyone was done pitching their idea, we had to vote on which idea we wanted to implement in the store and why.

Interview Questions

• Tell me something I can't tell from your resume.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at J. C. Penney (San Diego, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied Online, it took 2 weeks to for them to give me an over-the-phone interview then was called in for a group interview a week later.
    The group interview was easy and took 2 hours total, the first hour we were shown a picture of a structure we were supposed to build out of blocks they provided for us, I suppose this was to showcase our teamwork and communication skills. The next hour, we were all given different sheets of paper with four different business propositions on each paper, were to select one idea from our sheets and pitch our ideas to the rest of the group.
    The day after I was called and was told I got the job and that the final step was the background check... that took 3 weeks...

Interview Questions

• How did you hear about the opportunity atJC Penney ?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview

Interview was in 2013 and was a group interview that lasted five hours long that consisted of different trials. First trial was using building blocks to demonstrate how well you work in a team. Second trial was a debate almost, third trial was role playing on the floor, fourth trial was a rack challenge where we were asked to put clothing on a rack and explain why we arranged it the way that we did.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview

The interview was very brief and easy. I first was contacted for a job I had not applied for but took the interview anyway. After that I was told I did not get the job because I was better suited for the original position I appled for, a second interview was set up. I received an offer on the spot and accepted.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They would not negotiate.

Sales Associate Interview

Interview

I was called back quickly for an interview. Was scheduled fast and went in to find friendly manager interviewing me. They laid out the job description well and asked why i thought i would be right for the job. Lots of questions about scenarios and how i would handle that.

Sales Associate Interview

Interview

Group interview that involved teamwork. All interviewees built a house of blocks. Was strange, but everyone in my interview group was hired so we must have done well. I believe they were looking for teamwork skills and general personality traits.

Negotiation

No negotiation but they accepted the salary I requested on my application.