J. C. Penney Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Aug 27, 2015

1.9

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview

Group interview, personal questions and scenarios, with all of the managers, ten to twelve people being interviewed, you'll know if your hired.. you'll be the last to be called in

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for J. C. Penney

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Colorado Springs, CO) in August 2015.

Interview

Building blocks. We were given a photo for 10 seconds then required to explain to the other 6 people how to build it without touching it. The building process was a lot more difficult then I expected, the photo was hard to see the different colors, and 6 people made it very difficult to get your hands into the blocks. We were then called up one at a time for a one on one interview with an HR associate and the General Manager, they were both very nice. So far the company seems great.

Interview Questions

• After mentioning that he studied work psychology and that he was more interested in how I found my answer then the answer itself he asked me "Are you more of a logical or mathematical thinker" and "If you have 2 regular 6-sided dice what is the chance of you getting a 7?"   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Lansing, MI) in July 2015.

Interview

This was my first job interview. I applied online and got a call about 2 weeks later. The woman asked if I would be willing to come in for a group interview later that week. There was supposed to be one other applicant but he did not end up showing so it was just me. It was very laid back. The whole interview took 10-15 minutes tops. The interviewer asked me about myself and a couple other questions. I was told I would hear back within the next week, haven't heard anything yet but the week is not up.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question
    • Tell about a time you received excellent customer service and explain what made that experience so special.   Answer Question
    • Tell about a time you received poor customer service and explain what made the experience poor.   Answer Question
    • Tell about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer or coworker.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Dodge, IA

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Fort Dodge, IA) in July 2015.

Interview

First there was a phone interview with a few simple questions. Then a few days later, there was the in-person interview. It was supposed to be a group interview, but not enough people showed up, so it turned into individual interviews. They asked me more questions over the phone than they did in-person. Everyone was super friendly, too.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Pittsburgh, PA).

Interview

I was interviewed by the manager of women's wear and then the store manager. Each interview took approximately 15 minutes. Once the first manager approved, she needed to seek the approval of the manager of the store. I imagine that if the first interview doesn't go well, you will not speak with the second manager. This could help you to gauge how the interview went.

Interview Questions

• They asked me about my volunteer experience and what causes i stood for.   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview

Very simple process, they act very serious and professional when you enter the interview but unless you're interviewing for a manager position you pretty much have it locked up - easy questions about your background.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you saw a customer stealing an item?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westland, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Westland, MI) in May 2015.

Interview

Got called in for a group interview within a week and a half of applying. There was 5 of us and we had to work together to build a block structure based on the picture we saw. (We individually had 10 seconds to view the picture and instruct the others on how to build it) That's literally it. There was no formal interview or anything. We all got hired on the spot except for one person.

Interview Questions

• Which department are you interested in working in?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview

Asked a few basic questions, asked about schooling, availability, pay, and experience, very simple questions, not at all challenging, asked about availability and if I was willing to work weekends on a rotating basis, and nights, got offered the job on the spot.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I negotiated pay, he offered $9 but I wanted $10, and I got 10.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview

The woman conducting the interview made two other candidates and I build a picture she showed us out of blocks. She then made us pitch a possible idea to drive sales in a certain department of the store, like women's or kids. Once everyone was done pitching their idea, we had to vote on which idea we wanted to implement in the store and why.

Interview Questions

• Tell me something I can't tell from your resume.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (San Diego, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied Online, it took 2 weeks to for them to give me an over-the-phone interview then was called in for a group interview a week later. The group interview was easy and took 2 hours total, the first hour we were shown a picture of a structure we were supposed to build out of blocks they provided for us, I suppose this was to showcase our teamwork and communication skills. The next hour, we were all given different sheets of paper with four different business propositions on each paper, were to select one idea from our sheets and pitch our ideas to the rest of the group. The day after I was called and was told I got the job and that the final step was the background check... that took 3 weeks...

Interview Questions

• How did you hear about the opportunity atJC Penney ?   1 Answer