J. C. Penney Sales Associate Interview Questions

1.9

181 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Savannah, GA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Savannah, GA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at J. C. Penney.

I saw a advertisement on a hallway billboard for a seasonal help position. I applied at the store and latter received a call for an interview. The interview was easy and i got the job on the spot. After the holiday season was over I was offered a Sales Associate position.

Other Interview Reviews for J. C. Penney

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. C. Penney in September 2014.

Filled out application at store on computer including assesment test (what would you do scenerios). Got a call a few days later for interview, easy, usual questions..."why do you want to work here?" Started training few days later, part in a group, part on "register" program on computer. Better to show up in person, I think they decide what dept they want to put you in based on what you look like...young stylish go to junior dept... Dress business casual for interview and if hired.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. C. Penney in July 2014.

I applied online and received a call about 2 days later asking if I could come in for an interview. The manager also told me that the interview would be a group interview and there would be other people with me trying to get the position as well. I went to the interview and it was super simple. They asked no questions at all. We worked as a team to build these blocks and then had to pitch our ideas that we picked and the interview was over. She announced she would call us back telling us if we got the job or not. I got a call about 2 hours later saying I received the job. I got a background check and started training in 3 days and actually started working a week after the interview.

There was no negotiation at all. She never asked what I would like to be paid. I went in to fill out paperwork and it was already a set amount that everyone started with.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at J. C. Penney in July 2014.

I applied online and within days i was called by the manager for an interview. When i went inside, surprisingly there were 3 other people waiting inside. (Southland Mall in Miami Florida) The manger put us in a room and gave us a sheet of paper and we had to pick 1 out of 4 new business ideas for the company. After that the managers walked out to talk about us i guess. When they came back they gave us a scenario. I had to act like i worked in the footwear department and i had to sell the product to the manager. We were all told to come back tomorrow and meet th manager so im guessing we all got the job.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if your department didnt have the correct shoe size?   View Answer
    I was open to any pay. Thats the best way to go

Sales Associate Interview

Questions was not that difficult. Know about the company values. Know what is on your resume. Hiring manager was nice. I had two in person interviews. Overall it seems like a great place to work.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation. Offer given and I accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at J. C. Penney.

Be prepared for group interviews. Tons of example questions, customer service questions, scenario questions. They ask which department you would like to work in and they really do take that into consideration because you might get stuck recovering in it until 12 at night. They will not let you leave until its cleaned

8.00

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. C. Penney.

First interview with direct supervisor, very relaxed, asked about experience, aspirations....then interviewed with Assistant Store Manager, very quick, greet and meet, how are you..I was told the hourly rate and I accepted pending my background check. All very easy.

Interview Questions
    no negotiations, take it or leave it

Sales Associate Interview

Called for interview within week which was in person and not over the phone. Applying was like part of process because it was in front of human resources department

Sales Associate Interview

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at J. C. Penney.

After applying online, I was called a couple days later to come in for an interview. There were three other applicants present. We were told that the interview would consist of exercises instead of the traditional question/answer format. For the first exercise, we were shone an image of a structure consisting of wooden blocks. Then we were instructed to take turns giving the other applicants direction to build the image using the same wooden blocks spread out on the table before us. For the second exercise, we were each given a set of four unique marketing ideas then told to pick one and pitch it to the other applicants. We then had to decide which one idea we could all support. The entire interview process took about an hour and a half. I was told they were conducting more interviews but that if I was selected to be hired, I would get a call and an offer letter within the next few days. I received a call the next day offering me the position.

Interview Questions
    • Interview format was a bit of a surprise but I think it was less stressful than a traditional one.   Answer Question
    Offered a rate I thought was acceptable for my level of experience. Did not negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Joplin, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Joplin, MO

I applied online – interviewed at J. C. Penney.

I had two interviews in one day and was asked to train the following week. There was really no training involved. they took me on a tour, then had me watch a video and take a test on my first day of training. On my second day, I was asked to work on the floor.

Interview Questions
    • When I started, everything was unexpected because I never got a chance to learn anything. To me the most difficult was having to ask everyone the same question 100 times.   Answer Question