J. C. Penney

Updated Jan 21, 2015

1.9

197 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at J. C. Penney in October 2014.

First interview done over the phone. Second interview was done as group of six people. During the interview we had five minutes to create a sales pitch to present to the rest of the group. Once every one made their pitch the group had to pick the pitch they believed would be the best for the company, there is no right answer. Once this is over they ask if there is any questions, and let you know they will call if you will get the job.

Interview Questions
  • The most difficult thing for myself was pitching to the class but over all it was a simple interview.   Answer Question
No negotiate

Other Interview Reviews for J. C. Penney

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. C. Penney in October 2014.

Just an easy interview where they asked why i want to work in J.C Penney and about my experience and stuff.. A easy one and very nice and friendly store manager.

Interview Questions
    • A situation where I had dealt with an angry customer.. and how did I solve the issue   Answer Question
    Reasonable

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC

I applied online – interviewed at J. C. Penney in October 2014.

I applied online and I recieved a call for an interview within 2 days. My interview was on a tuesday and that thursday I recieved a call with my start date. The interview was very short and mainly was the HR person talking about the store. We did have to do an activity where we had to sell her an item.

Interview Questions
    • What's your availability?   Answer Question
    • Which department would you like to work in?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for us?   Answer Question
    • A lady come in with no idea on what to purchase and has no clue on who she is shopping for. What do you tell or ask her to help?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. C. Penney in September 2014.

Filled out application at store on computer including assesment test (what would you do scenerios). Got a call a few days later for interview, easy, usual questions..."why do you want to work here?" Started training few days later, part in a group, part on "register" program on computer. Better to show up in person, I think they decide what dept they want to put you in based on what you look like...young stylish go to junior dept... Dress business casual for interview and if hired.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at J. C. Penney in August 2014.

The interview was easy. They asked about me and my retail experience. Offered to make me a lead. And hired me on the spot. I was interviewed by the two HR people that the store has.

Interview Questions
    • How do I handle conflict with co-workers   View Answer
    not much less than 5 minuets

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. C. Penney in July 2014.

I applied online and received a call about 2 days later asking if I could come in for an interview. The manager also told me that the interview would be a group interview and there would be other people with me trying to get the position as well. I went to the interview and it was super simple. They asked no questions at all. We worked as a team to build these blocks and then had to pitch our ideas that we picked and the interview was over. She announced she would call us back telling us if we got the job or not. I got a call about 2 hours later saying I received the job. I got a background check and started training in 3 days and actually started working a week after the interview.

There was no negotiation at all. She never asked what I would like to be paid. I went in to fill out paperwork and it was already a set amount that everyone started with.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at J. C. Penney in July 2014.

I applied online and within days i was called by the manager for an interview. When i went inside, surprisingly there were 3 other people waiting inside. (Southland Mall in Miami Florida) The manger put us in a room and gave us a sheet of paper and we had to pick 1 out of 4 new business ideas for the company. After that the managers walked out to talk about us i guess. When they came back they gave us a scenario. I had to act like i worked in the footwear department and i had to sell the product to the manager. We were all told to come back tomorrow and meet th manager so im guessing we all got the job.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if your department didnt have the correct shoe size?   View Answer
    I was open to any pay. Thats the best way to go

Sales Associate Interview

Questions was not that difficult. Know about the company values. Know what is on your resume. Hiring manager was nice. I had two in person interviews. Overall it seems like a great place to work.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation. Offer given and I accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at J. C. Penney.

Be prepared for group interviews. Tons of example questions, customer service questions, scenario questions. They ask which department you would like to work in and they really do take that into consideration because you might get stuck recovering in it until 12 at night. They will not let you leave until its cleaned

8.00

Sale Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at J. C. Penney in June 2014.

Great experience, the first interview was very different unique and fun. But the second one with the store manager was just a standard interview. The first interview was in a group setting which we did team exercises to see how well we worked together. Then they called me a couple days later and asked if I could come in for an interview with the store manager, I accepted. The interview with the store manager was just your average interview not too hard and good experience I was offered the job on the spot at the end of the interview.