J. C. Penney

Average Difficulty
169 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at J. C. Penney

Interview Details – Called for interview within week which was in person and not over the phone. Applying was like part of process because it was in front of human resources department

Interview Question – Which department will you like to work in   Answer Question

Sale Associate Interview

Sale Associate
Port Arthur, TX

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at J. C. Penney in December 2011.

Interview Details – The process during an interview was easy because the interviewer did not necessarily show a serious face when asking a question. He was willing to listen to my answers so everything went smoothly. He seemed attentive and respectful. The interviewer was able to make contact eye with me and the experience was great for me.

Interview Question – The most difficult questions: How do you deliver a good customer service while working independently? What makes you choose this company and be more specific about it?   Answer Question

Joplin, MO

I applied online and interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview Details – I had two interviews in one day and was asked to train the following week. There was really no training involved. they took me on a tour, then had me watch a video and take a test on my first day of training. On my second day, I was asked to work on the floor.

Interview Question – When I started, everything was unexpected because I never got a chance to learn anything. To me the most difficult was having to ask everyone the same question 100 times.   Answer Question

Sales Associate

The process took 5 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview Details – After applying online, I was called a couple days later to come in for an interview. There were three other applicants present. We were told that the interview would consist of exercises instead of the traditional question/answer format. For the first exercise, we were shone an image of a structure consisting of wooden blocks. Then we were instructed to take turns giving the other applicants direction to build the image using the same wooden blocks spread out on the table before us. For the second exercise, we were each given a set of four unique marketing ideas then told to pick one and pitch it to the other applicants. We then had to decide which one idea we could all support. The entire interview process took about an hour and a half. I was told they were conducting more interviews but that if I was selected to be hired, I would get a call and an offer letter within the next few days. I received a call the next day offering me the position.

Interview Question – Interview format was a bit of a surprise but I think it was less stressful than a traditional one.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offered a rate I thought was acceptable for my level of experience. Did not negotiate.

Very Easy Interview

Slidell, LA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney in April 2012.

Interview Details – No interview, was just told i was going to be payed $8.50 and to wear casual clothes, then if that was okay, afterwards told me to come in at 9:45 the next morning for training.

Negotiation Details – If $8:50 was okay; i said yeah that fine

Very Easy Interview

Vernon Hills, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney in May 2014.

Interview Details – I filled out an application online and was called the next day. I was asked when I would be available to come in for an interview. Since I was at school, I had to wait two weeks before I could come in. Before I had the chance to call and set up an interview time, I received a call to set up a time. I went in two days later. I thought that the my interview flowed very well. It was scary or intimidating. After talking about my availability and a few other questions I was offered the job on the spot. I'm soo excited to be starting next week!

Interview Question – I did not really think that there were any tough questions. I was asked where I would prefer working?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate because this is my first job so I was happy to just have a job.

King of Prussia, PA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney in August 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online and actually they called me the next day. I had a group interview scheduled for a couple days later and there were 4 other people in the interview. they asked questions about experience and asked about a time where there was bad customer service and why.

Interview Question – You have to sell your self at the end of the group interview.   Answer Question

Katy, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at J. C. Penney in May 2014.

Interview Details – Called to set up an interview fairly quick. It was a group interview of 6 people and it was in 2 parts. The first part was setting up blocks. Each interviewer would go look at a picture of a block structure for 30 seconds and then have to tell the other interviewers how to build it without touching the blocks. After each interviewer had their turn then you would do it again but this time you could touch the blocks. The second part was a presentation. They gave you a sheet with 6 ideas and you had to pick which idea was the best for JC Penny; you then had to present your idea and say why it was the best. I was interviewed by the manager and HR but manager was only in for the first part.

Interview Question – The blocks were the most difficult thing for me   Answer Question

Rockwall, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J. C. Penney in May 2012.

Interview Details – Typical asked scenarios

Interview Question – Who else did you apply for and why   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Great

Interviewed at J. C. Penney

Interview Details – Be up front about your goals and don't let them promise you things and get your hopes up. Go into the interview with knowledge that they may not care about your needs at all but just want you to work hard and be dedicated no matter what.

Interview Question – Explain a time when you gave excellent customer service and went above expectations.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I got a higher hourly pay but they promised that I would get a chance at management which is why I took the job, and have been 3 years with no promotion.

Interviews for Top Jobs at J. C. Penney