J. C. Penney Sales Associate Interview Questions

1.9

175 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Beavercreek, OH
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beavercreek, OH

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney in November 2013.

Took about 2 weeks after filling out an application to get an interview. took another week and a half to get called back for a job offer. The interview went well and was about as basic as could be expected. I hadnt had retail experience before but i had done research on what types of questions were gonna be asked. The training process was a bit much, as there are 2-3 days of doing paperwork, watching videos and whatnot. When you are on the floor for the first time they kind of just "throw" you down there and you are on your own, usually with a "trainer" who has been an associate for awhile. They are no specifics or information given on your first actual workday on the floor. I just went down the escalator and felt lost walking down to my department not knowing what to do or what to expect.

Interview Questions
  • I don't think there were any difficult or unexpected questions. They were all basic interview questions. Where do you see yourself in 5 years, whats your experience etc etc   Answer Question
I was told what they would start me at and i accepted as i had been jobless since being laid off months before and really needed whatever i could get

Other Interview Reviews for J. C. Penney

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bloomington, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, IL

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney in November 2013.

Group interview with 4 others, it was a team building, using skills type of interview.

N/A

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney.

I tried applying online, but that didn't work because an error happens somewhere along the line. It was like Obamacare - impossible. So I had to actually go to the store and apply at the kiosk there. It took three days before they called me back to schedule an interview that would then happen a week later. In the interview, the hiring manager asked me to tell her about myself, what my greatest strength and weakness are, why I thought I'd be a good fit at the company, where I see myself in ten years, and a few more basic hiring questions that I can't remember. At the end, I was then told that there would be a second interview, and this happened about a week later. This manager basically asked me the same kind of questions, but this manager asked me why he should hire me specifically, and not any of the other applicants. What set me apart from the rest of the sheep? I winged it, but somehow I still got the "welcome to JCP" handshake. I then started working immediately that same day.

Interview Questions
    • What was the toughest decision you've ever had to make?   Answer Question
    Yes, but since I had no previous experience, they said they would start me off at minimum wage, and give me tiny raises as I showed improvement.

Sales Associate Interview

I went through one interview to get the job. It was mainly based on behavioral questions.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time when you took a leadership position and really had an impact on the people around you.   Answer Question
    It was a part time job, so there was no negotiation on hourly wages.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Goldsboro, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Goldsboro, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at J. C. Penney.

The interview went by pretty smooth. I was asked questions such as "Why should we hire you?" and questioned about my previous retail experience. Previous retail experience is always a plus because it can affect your starting pay rate. The interview was an average job interview, just be prepared to answer questions and dress very professional!

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions in my opinion, they were all relatively standard.   Answer Question
    The manager hired me on the spot after the interview and we began to discuss pay.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney in October 2013.

I received a phone call asking for an interview and was able to come in 4 days later. On the phone the associate I spoke to seemed very friendly and interested in seeing my for an interview. When I went in for the interview I was wearing black pants, boots, a nice shirt and a cardigan and I thought I was almost overdressed. When I went into the store I was asked to find an associate on the floor and ask him/her where to go. When I reached the area I was supposed to go I was almost immediately greeted by my interviewer Jenn. She was very friendly and the interview was really relaxed. She did read questions off of a sheet but she also was sure to share a story or two about herself. She immediately told me she was interested with me working there and let me know that although I was being hired as a seasonal worker, 80-90% of employees hired as seasonal were kept long term.

Interview Questions
    • Be sure to know about the credit card options, and the new happenings in J.C. Penny.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation, I accepted the offer. It was a bit higher than minimum wage.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney in October 2013.

i was called and asked if i wanted to be interviewed for a seasonal position. it was a group interview, there was 11 of us. they just basically asked us two questions. describe ourselves in two words. why should we hire you.

no negotiation. set pay rate.

Sales Associate Interview

Applied online, contacted by the assistant store manager to come in for an interview a few days later. Went in for the interview; one on one interview with the assistant store manager; asked me a few questions regarding previous sales experience; nothing too specific; also asked about some persona experiences.

no negotiations

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at J. C. Penney in September 2013.

There are three interviews. They will ask basic and common interview questions. Dress nice, be polite, don't give stupid answers and you'll get the job.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at J. C. Penney.

I applied online and they took around 3 weeks to respond. Finally they called and gave an appointment for the interview. The interview went smoothly. The HR manager was very nice and friendly. It went on for around 30 mins and right after that she asked me if I have time. I said yes and she called the store manager for my second interview right then and there. They were quite impressed with my attention to details, knowledge about the company and appearance. Its been 7 month now and to this day my store manager compliments my shoes.
    Tip: Be yourself, open up and be friendly.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was difficult or unexpected. Most of them were experienced based questions.   Answer Question
    Awesome. Wasn't much of a negotiation. She said something and I agreed.