J. C. Penney

1.9

194 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Joplin, MO
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Joplin, MO

I applied online – interviewed at J. C. Penney.

I had two interviews in one day and was asked to train the following week. There was really no training involved. they took me on a tour, then had me watch a video and take a test on my first day of training. On my second day, I was asked to work on the floor.

Interview Questions
  • When I started, everything was unexpected because I never got a chance to learn anything. To me the most difficult was having to ask everyone the same question 100 times.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for J. C. Penney

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vernon Hills, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vernon Hills, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at J. C. Penney in May 2014.

I filled out an application online and was called the next day. I was asked when I would be available to come in for an interview. Since I was at school, I had to wait two weeks before I could come in. Before I had the chance to call and set up an interview time, I received a call to set up a time. I went in two days later. I thought that the my interview flowed very well. It was scary or intimidating. After talking about my availability and a few other questions I was offered the job on the spot. I'm soo excited to be starting next week!

Interview Questions
    • I did not really think that there were any tough questions. I was asked where I would prefer working?   View Answer
    I did not negotiate because this is my first job so I was happy to just have a job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Katy, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Katy, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at J. C. Penney in May 2014.

Called to set up an interview fairly quick. It was a group interview of 6 people and it was in 2 parts. The first part was setting up blocks. Each interviewer would go look at a picture of a block structure for 30 seconds and then have to tell the other interviewers how to build it without touching the blocks. After each interviewer had their turn then you would do it again but this time you could touch the blocks. The second part was a presentation. They gave you a sheet with 6 ideas and you had to pick which idea was the best for JC Penny; you then had to present your idea and say why it was the best. I was interviewed by the manager and HR but manager was only in for the first part.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodbridge, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodbridge, VA

interviewed at J. C. Penney in May 2014.

There are group interviews every Tuesday followed up by an individual interview. It is fairly simple and easy to get hired if you have the right attitude. The HR is very nice, and I actually enjoyed the process.

No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brentwood, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brentwood, CA

they call first and do a over the phone interview, after that over the phone interview they ask if you can come in to do an interview, but little do you know when you get there they have you watch videos with other possible hires then, they put you in groups of two and have yoou play with building blocks, you take a look at the picture and try to build it to the best of your ability. this is just to see if you can work as a team. then if you get it they'll call you later that day and tell you they want to hire you and in which department and the pay rate.

Interview Questions
    they told me what my base pay and department would be in and i took it.

Sales Associate Interview

Be up front about your goals and don't let them promise you things and get your hopes up. Go into the interview with knowledge that they may not care about your needs at all but just want you to work hard and be dedicated no matter what.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a time when you gave excellent customer service and went above expectations.   Answer Question
    I got a higher hourly pay but they promised that I would get a chance at management which is why I took the job, and have been 3 years with no promotion.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashua, NH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashua, NH

I applied online – interviewed at J. C. Penney.

I applied online, I heard back fairly quickly with a phone call from a really friendly woman in management who does the hiring there. She asked me about previous retail experience, what department I would want to work in and if I was applying for a part time or seasonal position. She told me she was interested in an interview. I went in for the interview and dressed professionally. It was a group interview with two other people which I was not aware of until I arrived there. It took place in a tiny office. The store has mens and womens departments and there were men and women in the interview. We were each given a sheet of paper with different sales tactics scenarios that were hypothetical. We each had to choose which one was the best in our opinion for the stores' sales and the customers. The man in the interview chose an awful scenario which was a virtual golf game in the mens department and he said he chose it because it was a good idea for men to have something to do while the women were shopping. The other woman in the interview and myself both chose the same scenario but had different and unique explanations which was great because it showed our individuality and what we could bring to the sales force. We chose a scenario where there was a booth or some sort of computer program that customers could go to that would measure their exact size for shoes, pants, tops, dresses, etc and it would allow them to choose the type of clothes they wanted to buy that were available in the store. I said that it was great because people could be measured privately and were shown actual items they could order and buy in store and would encourage them to come back again to shop. After this scenario activity the manager dumped out a box of blocks on her desk and pulled out an ipad with a photo of what the blocks should look like put together. Each of us being interviewed had to take a turn telling the other two interviewees how to assemble the blocks to make the blocks look like the photo on the ipad. Only the person directing the other interviewees could look at the photo and we would switch every few minutes until the blocks were built into whatever the photo showed. This illustrated our leadership capabilities and our ability to take direction. There wasn't much talk in the interview about our experience and why we should have the job. It was like a big test. After the block activity the manager explained the basic departments we could work in and what the duties are. Asked if we had questions, etc. It was a 45+ minute long experience. We all left not knowing if we got the job. A few days after the interview I got a phone call saying they would love to hire me and they offered me a number for my hourly pay over the phone and asked if i would accept it. After I agreed they told me when to come in for computer training. I showed up for training a week later and the other people i interviewed with were also hired. It was a typical day of training where we put all of our employee info into the system, got our store discount card and had to watch a few hours of videos on what happens when a child goes missing and how to work the registers. After a few days of computer training they send you to the department you will be working with and they paired me with someone who could show me the ropes. They even asked the person they paired me with to take their break at the same time as me so I would have someone to sit with at lunch. The break room is like a mini cafeteria.

Interview Questions
    • I believe they asked me about past stressful experiences and how I handled them.   Answer Question
    They called me over the phone to offer me the job and offered me my hourly rate because of how much past retail experience I had.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. C. Penney.

It was a group tryout. We were given scenarios to brainstorm from and come up with possible solutions.

Interview Questions
    • The total tryout was a unique scenario in itself because it required you to work with the other candidates to complete the tasks. We had to work as a team. I thought it was great.   Answer Question
    It was pretty simple. I received a phone call and was given an offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bourbonnais, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bourbonnais, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. C. Penney.

My sister worked at this company, so I was called to set up an interview shortly after applying online. After the interview, I was told I would be hired pending back ground check, and I was asked which department I would prefer to work in out of Women's Apparel, Children's Apparel, or Sales Support.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about yourself? (I was in high school, so I wasn't sure who I was at the time)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Joliet, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Joliet, IL

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at J. C. Penney in April 2014.

They call you and tell you that they've received your application, ask you a few questions such as: why do you want to work at JCP? Or what department you'd like to work in. After that they'll decide if they want you to come in for an interview. Once your there, the head of that JCP will interview you. :) If you get the job, they'll give you your start date and train you.