J. C. Penney Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jun 28, 2015

1.9

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at J. C. Penney in October 2014.

Interview

First interview done over the phone. Second interview was done as group of six people. During the interview we had five minutes to create a sales pitch to present to the rest of the group. Once every one made their pitch the group had to pick the pitch they believed would be the best for the company, there is no right answer. Once this is over they ask if there is any questions, and let you know they will call if you will get the job.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult thing for myself was pitching to the class but over all it was a simple interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiate

Other Interview Reviews for J. C. Penney

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. C. Penney in October 2014.

Interview

Just an easy interview where they asked why i want to work in J.C Penney and about my experience and stuff.. A easy one and very nice and friendly store manager.

Interview Questions

• A situation where I had dealt with an angry customer.. and how did I solve the issue   Answer Question

Negotiation

Reasonable

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbia, SC

Application

I applied online – interviewed at J. C. Penney (Columbia, SC) in October 2014.

Interview

I applied online and I recieved a call for an interview within 2 days. My interview was on a tuesday and that thursday I recieved a call with my start date. The interview was very short and mainly was the HR person talking about the store. We did have to do an activity where we had to sell her an item.

Interview Questions

• What's your availability?   Answer Question
    • Which department would you like to work in?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for us?   Answer Question
    • A lady come in with no idea on what to purchase and has no clue on who she is shopping for. What do you tell or ask her to help?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Willmar, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at J. C. Penney (Willmar, MN) in October 2014.

Interview

They asked me the simple questions such as: what did you do in your other job, what is the reason you left, and why should we hire you. Just the regular interviewing process. Very easy. Just have confidence, make eye contact, and dress up like you want the job. Hopefully you will get hired.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. C. Penney (Jersey City, NJ) in September 2014.

Interview

Filled out application at store on computer including assesment test (what would you do scenerios). Got a call a few days later for interview, easy, usual questions..."why do you want to work here?" Started training few days later, part in a group, part on "register" program on computer. Better to show up in person, I think they decide what dept they want to put you in based on what you look like...young stylish go to junior dept... Dress business casual for interview and if hired.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at J. C. Penney in August 2014.

Interview

The interview was easy. They asked about me and my retail experience. Offered to make me a lead. And hired me on the spot. I was interviewed by the two HR people that the store has.

Interview Questions

• How do I handle conflict with co-workers   1 Answer

Negotiation

not much less than 5 minuets

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Wales, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at J. C. Penney (North Wales, PA) in August 2014.

Interview

I applied online. Got called for an interview about 2 months later. They asked typical interview questions. Nothing too difficult. I got offered the job but had to wait to start until my background check came back which took about a day or so.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. C. Penney in July 2014.

Interview

I applied online and received a call about 2 days later asking if I could come in for an interview. The manager also told me that the interview would be a group interview and there would be other people with me trying to get the position as well. I went to the interview and it was super simple. They asked no questions at all. We worked as a team to build these blocks and then had to pitch our ideas that we picked and the interview was over. She announced she would call us back telling us if we got the job or not. I got a call about 2 hours later saying I received the job. I got a background check and started training in 3 days and actually started working a week after the interview.

Negotiation

There was no negotiation at all. She never asked what I would like to be paid. I went in to fill out paperwork and it was already a set amount that everyone started with.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at J. C. Penney (Miami, FL) in July 2014.

Interview

I applied online and within days i was called by the manager for an interview. When i went inside, surprisingly there were 3 other people waiting inside. (Southland Mall in Miami Florida) The manger put us in a room and gave us a sheet of paper and we had to pick 1 out of 4 new business ideas for the company. After that the managers walked out to talk about us i guess. When they came back they gave us a scenario. I had to act like i worked in the footwear department and i had to sell the product to the manager. We were all told to come back tomorrow and meet th manager so im guessing we all got the job.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if your department didnt have the correct shoe size?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was open to any pay. Thats the best way to go

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lynchburg, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at J. C. Penney (Lynchburg, VA) in July 2014.

Interview

First there was a short phone interview. She asked me why I wanted to work at jcp, what my favorite clothing brand was (I said Arizona), and what position I preferred and then she set up my in person interview (I had two)
    First was the group interview. It was mostly just the interviewer telling us about the company but she did ask us about previous jobs, what was the best example of customer we ever gave, why jcp was different from other stores, ect. Then she gave us a box of blocks and showed us each a picture of what we were supposed to build (but only for a short time) then we had to work together to build the structure from memory. No worries if you didnt get it exactly right, theyre just seeing how you work together.
    Then I was asked to come back a few hours later to talk to the sotre manager. I sat in his office and he told me a little more about the company and then he urged me to ask as many questions as I could think of and then he pretty much hired me

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at jcp? what is your favorite clothing brand? best example of customer service you ever gave. How do you think jcp is different from other stores?   1 Answer