J. C. Penney

Average Difficulty
169 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Minot, ND

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney in August 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online and got called in for an interview. The manager asked questions about what I had done previously in the past, which was childcare, and asked why I wasn't continuing to pursue that career. He made it pretty easy to talk to him and while I didn't have much retail experience per say, he said that he sees my daily interactions with parents as customer service experience and offered me a slightly higher salary. I was asked questions on my availability, and he asked me to tell him some times I had to deal with an unhappy customer and what I did.

Interview Question – Explain your most difficult customer and how you handled them.   Answer Question

Beavercreek, OH

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney in November 2013.

Interview Details – Took about 2 weeks after filling out an application to get an interview. took another week and a half to get called back for a job offer. The interview went well and was about as basic as could be expected. I hadnt had retail experience before but i had done research on what types of questions were gonna be asked. The training process was a bit much, as there are 2-3 days of doing paperwork, watching videos and whatnot. When you are on the floor for the first time they kind of just "throw" you down there and you are on your own, usually with a "trainer" who has been an associate for awhile. They are no specifics or information given on your first actual workday on the floor. I just went down the escalator and felt lost walking down to my department not knowing what to do or what to expect.

Interview Question – I don't think there were any difficult or unexpected questions. They were all basic interview questions. Where do you see yourself in 5 years, whats your experience etc etc   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was told what they would start me at and i accepted as i had been jobless since being laid off months before and really needed whatever i could get

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney in November 2012.

Interview Details – One group interview and then one brief one on one interview with the team lead who hired me. The group interview consisted of questions like "Why do you want to work for J.C. Penney" and "Why are you an ideal candidate?" Asked a few of the candidates to perform a skit pretending to work with a difficult customer.

Interview Question – Wasn't expecting to be asked to pretend I'm dealing with a customer in front of the group. Was a semi awkward experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Pay was negotiated. Try to give a set pay that you're expecting. If you tell them you're flexible, they'll give you minimum pay as default.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney in October 2013.

Interview Details – i was called and asked if i wanted to be interviewed for a seasonal position. it was a group interview, there was 11 of us. they just basically asked us two questions. describe ourselves in two words. why should we hire you.

Negotiation Details – no negotiation. set pay rate.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney in May 2013.

Interview Details – Easy basic questions. Just sakes about myself

Negotiation Details – Started off 8.75

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney in November 2012.

Interview Details – Was pretty standard retail interview process. I applied online two days later I was contacted by one of the managers for an interview. I was asked about my availability and experience and if I was comfortable credits. Was offered a job and took it.

Negotiation Details – no negotation

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview Details – I applied through the J.C. Penney website. I got a call two days later for a 1 on 1 interview with the department manager. I was asked medium difficulty questions, the focus being on how well I would be able to interact with clients and fellow associates.

Interview Question – The skills/personality test   View Answer

Sales Associate

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview Details – phone interview, group interview, then one on one, after that you get the offer.

Interview Question – Are you a customer service type of person?   Answer Question

Lansing, MI

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J. C. Penney in October 2012.

Interview Details – Fill out application; called in for interview same day.

Madison, WI

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney in June 2011.

Interview Details – It was a simple process. I spoke with HR and then the store manager who, after hearing my skills, directed me to work for the jewelry department. Overall it was an easy interview and at the time the staff appeared to be very friendly and supportive of their potential employees

Interview Question – Why do you think you would be a good fit for the jewelry department?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was none