J. C. Penney Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Aug 27, 2015

1.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Jersey City, NJ) in September 2014.

Interview

Filled out application at store on computer including assesment test (what would you do scenerios). Got a call a few days later for interview, easy, usual questions..."why do you want to work here?" Started training few days later, part in a group, part on "register" program on computer. Better to show up in person, I think they decide what dept they want to put you in based on what you look like...young stylish go to junior dept... Dress business casual for interview and if hired.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for J. C. Penney

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Wales, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (North Wales, PA) in August 2014.

Interview

I applied online. Got called for an interview about 2 months later. They asked typical interview questions. Nothing too difficult. I got offered the job but had to wait to start until my background check came back which took about a day or so.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at J. C. Penney in August 2014.

Interview

The interview was easy. They asked about me and my retail experience. Offered to make me a lead. And hired me on the spot. I was interviewed by the two HR people that the store has.

Interview Questions

• How do I handle conflict with co-workers   1 Answer

Negotiation

not much less than 5 minuets

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at J. C. Penney in July 2014.

Interview

I applied online and received a call about 2 days later asking if I could come in for an interview. The manager also told me that the interview would be a group interview and there would be other people with me trying to get the position as well. I went to the interview and it was super simple. They asked no questions at all. We worked as a team to build these blocks and then had to pitch our ideas that we picked and the interview was over. She announced she would call us back telling us if we got the job or not. I got a call about 2 hours later saying I received the job. I got a background check and started training in 3 days and actually started working a week after the interview.

Negotiation

There was no negotiation at all. She never asked what I would like to be paid. I went in to fill out paperwork and it was already a set amount that everyone started with.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Miami, FL) in July 2014.

Interview

I applied online and within days i was called by the manager for an interview. When i went inside, surprisingly there were 3 other people waiting inside. (Southland Mall in Miami Florida) The manger put us in a room and gave us a sheet of paper and we had to pick 1 out of 4 new business ideas for the company. After that the managers walked out to talk about us i guess. When they came back they gave us a scenario. I had to act like i worked in the footwear department and i had to sell the product to the manager. We were all told to come back tomorrow and meet th manager so im guessing we all got the job.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if your department didnt have the correct shoe size?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was open to any pay. Thats the best way to go

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lynchburg, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Lynchburg, VA) in July 2014.

Interview

First there was a short phone interview. She asked me why I wanted to work at jcp, what my favorite clothing brand was (I said Arizona), and what position I preferred and then she set up my in person interview (I had two) First was the group interview. It was mostly just the interviewer telling us about the company but she did ask us about previous jobs, what was the best example of customer we ever gave, why jcp was different from other stores, ect. Then she gave us a box of blocks and showed us each a picture of what we were supposed to build (but only for a short time) then we had to work together to build the structure from memory. No worries if you didnt get it exactly right, theyre just seeing how you work together. Then I was asked to come back a few hours later to talk to the sotre manager. I sat in his office and he told me a little more about the company and then he urged me to ask as many questions as I could think of and then he pretty much hired me

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at jcp? what is your favorite clothing brand? best example of customer service you ever gave. How do you think jcp is different from other stores?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Interview

Questions was not that difficult. Know about the company values. Know what is on your resume. Hiring manager was nice. I had two in person interviews. Overall it seems like a great place to work.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. Offer given and I accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Roseville, CA).

Interview

Be prepared for group interviews. Tons of example questions, customer service questions, scenario questions. They ask which department you would like to work in and they really do take that into consideration because you might get stuck recovering in it until 12 at night. They will not let you leave until its cleaned

Interview Questions

Negotiation

8.00

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tullahoma, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at J. C. Penney (Tullahoma, TN) in June 2014.

Interview

It was very simple. Application online takes about 30 minutes give or take. They called within a week. The interview was short and they gave me the job at the end of it.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a shopping experience that was bad, and how you would have changed it.   1 Answer

Sale Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at J. C. Penney in June 2014.

Interview

Great experience, the first interview was very different unique and fun. But the second one with the store manager was just a standard interview. The first interview was in a group setting which we did team exercises to see how well we worked together. Then they called me a couple days later and asked if I could come in for an interview with the store manager, I accepted. The interview with the store manager was just your average interview not too hard and good experience I was offered the job on the spot at the end of the interview.