J. C. Penney Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Oct 22, 2014

1.9

181 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

Applied online, contacted by the assistant store manager to come in for an interview a few days later. Went in for the interview; one on one interview with the assistant store manager; asked me a few questions regarding previous sales experience; nothing too specific; also asked about some persona experiences.

no negotiations

Other Interview Reviews for J. C. Penney

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. C. Penney in September 2013.

There are three interviews. They will ask basic and common interview questions. Dress nice, be polite, don't give stupid answers and you'll get the job.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. C. Penney.

I applied online and they took around 3 weeks to respond. Finally they called and gave an appointment for the interview. The interview went smoothly. The HR manager was very nice and friendly. It went on for around 30 mins and right after that she asked me if I have time. I said yes and she called the store manager for my second interview right then and there. They were quite impressed with my attention to details, knowledge about the company and appearance. Its been 7 month now and to this day my store manager compliments my shoes.
    Tip: Be yourself, open up and be friendly.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was difficult or unexpected. Most of them were experienced based questions.   Answer Question
    Awesome. Wasn't much of a negotiation. She said something and I agreed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Downey, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Downey, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at J. C. Penney.

They called me up after about a week later after applying on their website. Came in for an on-site interview and was hired on the spot.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at J. C. Penney.

The interview and hiringprocess was easy. you go in and talk to the assistant manager who is very nice and you get basic interview questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in King of Prussia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in King of Prussia, PA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. C. Penney in August 2013.

I applied online and actually they called me the next day. I had a group interview scheduled for a couple days later and there were 4 other people in the interview. they asked questions about experience and asked about a time where there was bad customer service and why.

Interview Questions
    • You have to sell your self at the end of the group interview.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennesaw, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennesaw, GA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. C. Penney in July 2013.

I had no work experience and had been applying for jobs for a really long time and coming up with nothing. I'd applied at JCP several times over the years never hearing back at all. On a whim I applied there again not expecting a call back but they actually called. Spoke briefly with a manager on the phone (previous experience, goals with company, availability, departments i'd like to work in). She asked me at the end of our call if i wanted to come in for a group interview that Thursday (it was tuesday) i accepted. Showed up about 20 minutes early and walked around, notified an associate about 10 mintues til that i was there for an interview, i was told to wait near customer service. It was supposed to be 5 people interviewing but only 3 of us showed up and we were interviewed by 2 managers. It was a really laid back interview...in fact it was fun, we started of going around the room answering tell me about yourself, an unique quality about you, and why jcp? We then did a communication exercise where we had to build a structure out of blocks by memory from looking at a picture for 10 seconds a person in 15 minutes. While instructing the others on what to do/use to build you could NOT touch the blocks to help. Afterward we were given papers with different departments with 4 choices of events that could drive sales and had to pitch them to the managers. At the end we were told we would hear back by 5pm that evening.

No negotiation, offered me 8.00 an hour. (I only asked for minimum wage, which is 7.25)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied in-person – interviewed at J. C. Penney in July 2013.

Short interviewing at the job fair. I was looking for informational interview so it was very easy and the interview was very open and willing to give all the details about the position and what someone could expect

only personal reasons

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. C. Penney.

They can give you a few situational questions, like a customer is looking for some dress, you don't have it in stock. What will you do? Also they can ask some behavioral questions.

N/A

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Very quick, asked a few basic questions, then hired on the spot

Because of my previous experience I was able to get 9.25/hour, that was the maximum they said they could offer.