J. C. Penney

Updated Oct 19, 2014

2.7

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Manager Trainee Interview

Contacted by a College Recruiter. Asked different questions to determine leadership skills and work ethic. After phone interview with recruiter, a face to face interview with a store manager is scheduled. If he/she likes you then the recruiter sets up a phone or in-person interview (depending on location) with a District Manager. Pretty standard interviewing through the whole process.

No negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for J. C. Penney

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gaithersburg, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gaithersburg, MD

interviewed at J. C. Penney in February 2012.

You will be required to take one phone interview, one in person interwove and maybe one with district manager. Phone interview is 25 mins, in person is one hour and one hour with the DM. Just be your self and be confident in your answer.

Interview Questions
    you can give an offer and they will negotiate with it, experience can get you more money

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at J. C. Penney in November 2011.

Interview took a few weeks total. I was first given a phone interview where they asked basic personality questions such as "Where do you see yourself in 5 years" and "What kind of retail experiences you have". Questions such as what is sales margin, and retail formulas were asked. Then they flew me out to their corpoate offices in Dallas and we went through a panel, and then more interviews and questions.

Interview Questions

I had a better offer with their competitors

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at J. C. Penney in February 2010.

You will first either apply online or submit your resume to a manager at a career fair. You will first be contacted by a recruiter from the home office, and he will conduct the preliminary interview. Then, you will be set up with a one-on-one interview within a store with a store manager. After this second interview, you will find out within a few weeks if you got the job or not. You give them your top three location preferences, and they are never honored. You will likely get placed somewhere you do not want to be.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to go against company policy in order to please a customer.   View Answer
    No negotiation. Set salary. If you are thinking about accepting an offer, really weigh the options with the other, likely better companies you are interviewing with. JCPenney is definitely on the low-end of the payscale for recent college graduates. If you are going for an in-store job, be aware that there is very little opportunity for promotion after you become a department manager. My store manager had been with the company almost 25 years, and had only received the one promotion from department manager to store manager. The district manager had been with the company over 40 years, which is the next step up. And the pay differences are nothing special.

Sales Manager Trainee Interview

the interview process is conducted over the phone by a recruiter. The recruiter ask a few personal questions and about your accomplishments, and then asks behavioral based questions. Make sure you know how to answer the behavioral/ STAR method of interviewing.

Interview Questions
    • When is a time you had to change your communication style to fit and audience?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time where you had multiple tasks to accomplish?   Answer Question

Sales Manager Trainee Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at J. C. Penney in August 2008.

The interview was a five day process, from the time I was first contacted till I was offered the position. Much of the interview focused on personality and how I would handle situations with customers. The interview was about hour long, the second half of the interview was the perks of the position, such as hours, every three weeks a 3 day weekend, vacation time and how they handle promotions.

Interview Questions
    Salary and pending vacation time. My former position I had 4 weeks vacation and was told they would match it, after working for 3 month they told me that they could not match it and I would not be eligible for any vacation time until I was made a permanent sales manager