J. C. Penney

Average Difficulty
4 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney in November 2011.

Interview Details – Interview took a few weeks total. I was first given a phone interview where they asked basic personality questions such as "Where do you see yourself in 5 years" and "What kind of retail experiences you have". Questions such as what is sales margin, and retail formulas were asked. Then they flew me out to their corpoate offices in Dallas and we went through a panel, and then more interviews and questions.

Interview Question – Please list 3 strengths and 3 weaknesses.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I had a better offer with their competitors

Tucson, AZ

The process took 3 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney in February 2010.

Interview Details – You will first either apply online or submit your resume to a manager at a career fair. You will first be contacted by a recruiter from the home office, and he will conduct the preliminary interview. Then, you will be set up with a one-on-one interview within a store with a store manager. After this second interview, you will find out within a few weeks if you got the job or not. You give them your top three location preferences, and they are never honored. You will likely get placed somewhere you do not want to be.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had to go against company policy in order to please a customer.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Set salary. If you are thinking about accepting an offer, really weigh the options with the other, likely better companies you are interviewing with. JCPenney is definitely on the low-end of the payscale for recent college graduates. If you are going for an in-store job, be aware that there is very little opportunity for promotion after you become a department manager. My store manager had been with the company almost 25 years, and had only received the one promotion from department manager to store manager. The district manager had been with the company over 40 years, which is the next step up. And the pay differences are nothing special.

Sales Manager Trainee

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney in August 2008.

Interview Details – The interview was a five day process, from the time I was first contacted till I was offered the position. Much of the interview focused on personality and how I would handle situations with customers. The interview was about hour long, the second half of the interview was the perks of the position, such as hours, every three weeks a 3 day weekend, vacation time and how they handle promotions.

Interview Question – How would you handle an angry customer   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Salary and pending vacation time. My former position I had 4 weeks vacation and was told they would match it, after working for 3 month they told me that they could not match it and I would not be eligible for any vacation time until I was made a permanent sales manager

Sales Manager Trainee

Interview Details – the interview process is conducted over the phone by a recruiter. The recruiter ask a few personal questions and about your accomplishments, and then asks behavioral based questions. Make sure you know how to answer the behavioral/ STAR method of interviewing.

Interview Questions

• When is a time you had to change your communication style to fit and audience?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time where you had multiple tasks to accomplish?   Answer Question

Worked for J. C. Penney? Contribute to the Community!