J. C. Penney

Average Difficulty
5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Columbus, OH

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney in March 2011.

Interview Details – 1st I had an interview with a manager and former supply chain trainee on campus. This was followed by an online test. After the test I had a day of interviews/tour at a DC. Finally, one last phone interview. Pretty basic interviews, however, I never interviewed with the people I will be working with.

Interview Question – give me an example of someone you think is a good leader and why   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much negotiation power for a new college grad.

Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney in October 2010.

Interview Details – First part of the interview was with an individual who started as a supply chain trainee, was given the opportunity to get more information about the program.

Second part was with an HR person who asked a series of behavioral questions, no surprises. Then talked more in-depth about the program, responsibilities, career patch and such.

Interview Question – Tell about a situation where you faced a deadline and had to decide how best to handle not being able to finish a task in time.   View Answer

Supply Chain Trainee

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney in February 2012.

Interview Details – I applied on my school's job search site and was contacted a few days later to set up a phone interview. The phone interview consisted of a few behavioral questions and a description of the position. At the end of the interview I was told that I should take a few assessments online and that after those were completed I would be scheduled for an onsite interview.

About 2 weeks later I had the onsite interview at one of their DC's. This interview consisted of 2 one on one behavioral interviews and a tour of the DC. The first one was with an HR person and the second was with a manager of the DC. The whole process lasted about 2 hours. A few days later I was contacted saying they got good feedback from the 2 interviewers at the DC and I scheduled one final phone interview.

This final phone interview was short and consisted of a few more behavioral interviews. The interviewer explained the position some more and at the end of the interview said I did well in the interview.

A week later I was contacted and told that I did not get an offer. They stated that I did very well in my interviews and I would have gotten an offer but that they had filled up all the positions. This seemed very unprofessional to me because I hadn't even been told that this was a possibility. The entire process went smoothly but in the end was fairly long. It ended up being a waste of my time and I was very disappointed by the way the end of the process went. They stated that if someone dropped out of the program that I would be contacted but up to this point I have not heard anything yet.

Interview Question – Why J.C. Penney?   Answer Question

Supply Chain Trainee

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney in October 2011.

Interview Details – We started out with a brief introductory interview where we just went over my resume a little and then talked about the job and what would happen next, and then set up a date for the next phone interview that would be behavioral based. The interview got pushed back a few times, so that may have been a bad sign, but when it finally happened I know that I didn't do as well as I could have.... it was a lot of behavioral questions about team work, working with people older than yourself, facing challenges...just basic stuff. I got a reply the next week that I didn't make it.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you encountered a problem, and how you solved it.   Answer Question

Supply Chain Trainee

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney in February 2011.

Interview Details – Started off with a phone interview, went well and was asked to take an assessment. The phone interview was pretty easy, just basic behavioral questions. Give me a time when... The assessment was super easy, I wasn't really sure I wanted the job and waited 2 weeks to do it (they say do it within 48 hours) and they called me a few days later asking for an in person interview. I interviewed at their Cedar Hill distribution center. There were two one on one interviews that asked pretty much the same questions as the phone interview, so pretty easy. Just ask questions and have an idea of what you want to say.

Interview Question – Give me an example of a time when you did something outside the box?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I was offered to train it Atlanta, which was fine, but the hours and not knowing where I would be after those 4 months didn't appeal to me. The first shift, which is what 95% of new hires go to is from 5am-2pm and you are expected to be there 30 minutes early. Waking up at 3:30 every day didn't really sound appealing. Also the other shifts are no good either, 2:30pm-11:30pm and 9pm-6am. All those seem horrible to me. I declined also because they only gave me 2 weeks to decide and I still had other interviews scheduled. I tried to ask for an extension, but was only given a few days which did nothing. I think taking a job is a huge decision and due diligence should be given, I guess they didn't. When I called to decline I said, "Due to the time constraints I will not be able to give a definite answer in time, so I am going to have to respectfully decline. But I really appreciate the offer and would like to thank you and J.C. Penney for everything." Her response, "OK bye." Maybe I'm young and naive, but I think an interview is a two way road and that I am interviewing them as well. I felt like they thought just because they offered I had to accept.

Interviews for Top Jobs at J. C. Penney

Worked for J. C. Penney? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at J. C. Penney Supply Chain Trainee interview questions and advice. All 5 interview reviews posted anonymously by J. C. Penney employees and interview candidates.