J. C. Penney

Getting the Interview

14 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

I applied online and interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview Details – There were two parts to the interview process all in one day and not everyone makes it to the second part. Good luck!

Interview Question – Interview was just how you would sell different products not so much questions.   Answer Question

Stillwater, OK

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J. C. Penney in November 2013.

Interview Details – Three part interview process. First part is a team-work exercise which, while it can be fun, is rather tedious and awkward, with little foreseeable application to the job. The second part is a sales test. Your hiring manager gives you several minutes to look around the store, and then begins a scenario situation where the manager plays a customer. You recommend a product based on the situation. You are also required to re-arrange a clothing rack. On the last interview, you meet with your hiring manager and "1," the store supervisor. You are asked a series of questions which pertain to your previous experience and your work ethic/goals. Then you are contacted regarding your job application status.

Interview Question – I was asked about a gap in my work experience.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was asked my anticipated compensation, which I offered. I was counter-offered with a higher wage than I had offered. I accepted the proposed wage.

Plano, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney in September 2013.

Interview Details – I just had a group interview on Tuesday and was told I will receive a call Friday. Now I have a second interview hoping I will get the job! :)

Interview Question – Very interesting   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I accepted the second interview, I'm still waiting what the results will be.

Marquette, MI

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J. C. Penney in June 2009.

Interview Details – Applied online via jcp.com. Got a call back within a week for a interview. The interview consisted of the store manager asking your typical interview questions. What are your strengths/weaknesses and lots of "tell me about a time."

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had to tell your boss something he/she did not want to hear.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Salary was based on experience in retail. The better you are at selling yourself the more you will be offered.

Salisbury, MD

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney in May 2013.

Interview Details – I first applied online and was called back the next day after applying online. I went in and was very prepared for anything that could possibly happen during my interview. I first met with the training supervisor and then had an interview with the store manager then finally with my supervisor for the Support Specialists.

Interview Question – What does the Fair and square motto mean?   Answer Question

Support Specialist

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview Details – Applied online and received a call back within two weeks. During the call there were basic questions asked as far as availability; weekends were emphasized as these are the busiest days for the store. I was also asked why I would like to work for J.C. Penny. The in person 1:1 interview was 3 days later. I went in bright and early prepared for whatever was going to be thrown my way. I was asked about a time when a customer was upset and what I did. I was asked if I could start work right now, what department or section of the store I would like to be placed in. I was asked about a time when someone ruined to opportunity to gain a consistent customer. I just gave a personal experience about a time I had as a customer. Also, I was asked about a time where I had to deal with a major change and how I dealt with it. The interview process went very well. Now I wait for the background check to go through and then receive a call of when to come in and do paperwork and then start working.

Interview Question – Not very difficult questions. Just be able to talk about yourself and your experiences.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. I accepted the offer as it was given. Keep in mind, this is a part-time position in retail. You must be logical.

Very Easy Interview

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at J. C. Penney in April 2013.

Interview Details – Group interview of 3. No questions at all besides accepting my pay.

New York, NY

I applied online and interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview Details – I applied online and within a few days I got a call back asking to come in for an interview. I arrived about 30 mins early expecting to be one of the first ones, NOPE! There were atleast 25 people already sitting there, and more people kept pouring in there was about 50 of us in total. There were so many people that they had to split us up into two groups. It was a GROUP interview in which they wanted you to get to know everyone, basically step outside of your comfort zone and introduce yourself to everyone, mingle, all while they were observing us. I was offered a position that day. I just had to wait a few days before going in for orientation because they had to wait for my background check to clear. They basically want bubbly, outgoing, friendly people. They consider JCP a neighborhood rather than just a workplace.

Interview Question – There were no real "questions" per say, just why'd you pick JCP, do you have any experience, just basically telling them about yourself.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation.

West Covina, CA

I applied online and interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview Details – The Hiring process was really easy. There was no problems what so ever and it was great.

Interview Question – The questions where not very unique. It was the standard questions that many companies ask. Forgot what it was.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Winston-Salem, NC

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney in December 2012.

Interview Details – I submitted an application online along with many others to both J.C.Penney's and other companies. I was very pleased to get a phone message from a JCP trainee manager within a week of my submission. I called her back as soon as I got the message, and she asked me when I could come in for an interview. I took the first slot she offered me, which was 10am the following morning. I showed up dressed in business casual attire- pin striped slacks and a silk navy blouse. I felt comportable without being too dressed up. I was met by a different woman than the one I talked to on the phone, but she was very nice and ran the interview smoothly and quickly. I made sure to be myself, answer questions honestly and modestly- and made sure to make eye contact and smile. The questions were very routine, and there were no curve-balls that had me stumped. I know one thing I had going for me was the fact that I can help myself from constantly straightening things, and I talk to people I have never met almost on a daily basis. I watched her scribble some things down, and then she asked me my availability and when I could start. I walked out of the store straightening the racks as I left- giddy from having landed the job.

Interview Question – I think it must have been the one about naming an example of a time I had to multitask in a very stressful situation that turned out well and then elaborate on it. It's hard to dig up experiences like that in detail. I may have combined more than one experience into the same example in my answer, but all I know is that I went for the memories that triggered stress responses and followed them through with their resolution. I cared for a 93 year old woman with dementia in my home for 9 months. The day the ambulance came to pick her up and take her to hospice, my brother in law moved out of our house in a temper tantrum completely unrelated, I had a paper to complete with a deadline, and there was an appointment I needed to make that afternoon. I ended up delaying the appointment with a phone call, dealt with the ambulance and hospice smoothly, finished the paper, and let go emotionally of my brother in law for the time being. I couldn't believe I made it through that day, but I did. I can't believe that example came to mind with that question, but I ran with it, and it seemed to have worked.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – It was a seasonal position, and the pay was what it was. I am about to attempt a negotiation soon to be hired as a full time regular employee. I don't know what the maximun pay is at this particular JCP, but I need to find out before I have that meeting.

Interviews for Top Jobs at J. C. Penney

Worked for J. C. Penney? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at J. C. Penney Support Specialist interview questions and advice. All 14 interview reviews posted anonymously by J. C. Penney employees and interview candidates.