J. C. Penney Support Specialist Interview Questions

Updated Jul 22, 2015

2.1

Support Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview

It took 2 weeks for the hiring process.. I applied online, got a call like a week later for an interview. Supervisor was nice and made the interview easier and relaxed, I got the job in the spot. After the interview I waited another week to start working.

Interview Questions

• I was asked about my past work experiences, the typical 'describe yourself' question and why JC Penney.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for J. C. Penney

Support Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at J. C. Penney in April 2015.

Interview

Got the call from the HR Supervisor to set an interview in 2 days. Got in the store and saw other people waiting on an uncomfortable couch for their name to be called. Got called in approximately 20 minutes later and was interviewed by the person I spoke with on the phone along with another person who was writing down all of the answers I gave. It was pretty quick as I was expecting it to be longer. The interviewer didn't even ask me if I had any questions about the job. When the interview was over, she told me that I would get a response the next day to see if I got the job.

Interview Questions

• So tell me about yourself. Why J.C. Penney? What does support specialist mean to you? Name one strength and weakness. Would you be willing to work at another position? How would you describe great customer service?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Hill, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at J. C. Penney (Cedar Hill, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied online and weeks went by, I would say about 2 weeks and I got a call to set up a group interview the next day. I arrived at the interview and we did a block exercise to see how we did with working with a group. I got a called a week later saying my background came back clean and I go in tomorrow to sign paperwork

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lumberton, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at J. C. Penney (Lumberton, NC) in October 2014.

Interview

It was a group interview with a group activity & innovative questions. You have to be knowledgeable about the industry and sound enthusiastic without being fake. You also have to demonstrate how you'll work as a team to be considered for this position otherwise you won't be considered.

Interview Questions

• Read a list of innovative ideas and choose one that suits JCPenney   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was told not to negotiate but I stated that I worked for JCP before and I had a raise while working with them. I also stated that I made .25 more since working in retail. I was granted the wage I was "worth". The background check took about 5 days but I called them to speed things up.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at J. C. Penney (Tempe, AZ) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview process consisted of 4-5 other people sitting at the table and the interviewer. There was a building block set on the table and we were tasked with building it based on a shown picture. The catch was that we had 10 minutes to do so and 1 person of the 5 to supervise and not touch the blocks while the other 4 built the building. To make it difficult, the supervisor changed every minute and the supervisor had only 15 seconds to look at the picture. After this was done, the interviewer talked to us one by one about the position they were applying for.

Interview Questions

• There were not many questions besides those that were about shift times and physical hindrances one might have that would affect doing the job.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Fresno, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. C. Penney (Fresno, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

I applied and got a call to come in for an interview about a week after applying. I had a group interview with 4 other girls an another person who didn't show up. We did the citiblock activity and then talked a little to see how we communicate with one another. Then was told we would hear back on Friday if we got the job. Interview was on Tuesday. Its been 2 weeks already and I haven't heard back. So I'm guessing I didn't get the job I hope I'm wrong could really use the job.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions. Just asked How could we say how can i help you in a different way.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Downey, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at J. C. Penney (Downey, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

I applied at the end of July and got a callback for Support Specialist five days later. The lady on the end of the phone was really friendly let me know that she liked what she saw on my resume and proceeded to ask me a few questions. Since I have worked retail experience, she asked me about my job duties, pros and cons, do I easily get frustrated, and what I have to offer as a support specialist, and other basic questions about school and career choices since I graduated college recently. She then stated that she liked what she heard and would like to invite me to interview for some "Talent Tryouts" for the following week at 8am. She then just went over the job description and I accepted to interview. I did my research and prepared myself for the interview by reading other questions posted on here and based on my prior experience interviewing. The interview I arrived half hour early was told we were expecting 7 other people, however, they did not show up until past 8am. Which I thought to myself where's the professionalism in that, but whatever none of my business I am here early and that's what counts. So, as soon as everyone was in the room, two ladies came in and introduced themselves and their job title and what they do. One was lead support and other lead pricing, I believe. Proceeding that, we went around the room introducing ourselves and any experience we may have in support. They took notes, then asked "what can we offer to the support team?". After that, she stated the important qualities they seek then walked us out to the floor, split us in teams of two, and as a team had us put clothes in the racks and organize a table (*they want to see communication between you and your partner*). After that they told us what we did good, and what it should look like. Afterwards they led us back to the room and told us that usually they would call us in a few days or so to let us know if we got the job or not, however, that for today they would let us know right there and then. So one by one they called us into another room. They called my name and walked me over to the other room, sat me down, and she told me you got the job. She let me know what I would be doing, talked salary, and that in 5 days they would call me for training. I was super excited and thanked her.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Considering that the minimum wage in Cali went up to $9, I didn't negotiate because I was making less before. So I agreed to $9.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Freehold, NJ

Application

I applied online – interviewed at J. C. Penney (Freehold, NJ) in August 2014.

Interview

I was called 8/6/2014, after having applied three or four days prior, by a manager of the J.C. Penney store I applied to so as to setup an interview. The interview was held 5 days after, and was conducted primarily by a department supervisor of the support specialists. The interview consisted primarily of simple questions, like "why did you choose to apply at J.C. Penney?" and also included information regarding the position for which I had applied. Overall, the interview process was fairly simple and lasted about 20 minutes.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Offered minimum wage and accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brandon, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at J. C. Penney (Brandon, FL) in August 2014.

Interview

group interview, watch series of videos explaing about the company. We introduce ourselves and gave a little background. As a group we walked the sales floor and was showed the layout then was asked to perform simple task such as folding or recovering merchandise.. this was short. Interview is about an hour long but is very simple not hard at all!!

Support Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. C. Penney in July 2014.

Interview

I've never participated in an interview process like J.C. Penney's before this experience. I had to come in for a "Talent Tryout", which consisted of myself and three others spending an hour interacting and working on tasks. I admit I was nervous because honestly it just felt weird to me. Two employees, the store leader and a HR employee, observed us working on the two tasks but did not really interact with us. We had to instruct each other how to build a block structure first, then we had to pitch a sales idea to the group. Unless J.C. Penney is really your ideal place to work, I wouldn't recommend putting in the effort. I really needed a job, but did not receive an offer. At the end of the interview, the store leader informed us only two people would be hired. Two people would not be hired. In my opinion, it's a bad interviewing process that wastes valuable time. I do not feel the hiring manager or store leader got any real sense of who I was from this experiment. Weird.

Interview Questions

• Unconventional "talent tryout" interview; no questions   Answer Question