J. C. Penney

Average Difficulty
18 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Support Specialist

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J. C. Penney in May 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online for the support specialist position at J.C. Penney. Was contacted by phone about a week later and had a very short five minute, fairly easy phone interview with HR. Basic questions consisted of why do you want to work at J.C. Penney, current job status, what are some of your strengths. Then we went over what the job entails, salary expectations and hours. I initiated a lot of those questions so I'm not sure what normally takes place. Scheduled for in person interview for two days later.

Went in two days later sat down in office was immediately met with HR person that had phone interview with. She handed out name tags for the group of four people waiting to be interviewed. Had no idea this would be a group interview. We were all lead into this office and sat down surrounding a table with building blocks on it. Given some quick instructions with an ipad and were given 10 seconds at a time to look at the structure then without ipad give out instructions and lead others into recreating the structure. This process went on for several rounds and we were given five minutes total as a group. This is when they're observing how well you interact with the others on your team, your skills, if you're passive, if you take initiative, how do you deal with adversity, treat others etc. (They do want the structure color coordinated and similar to whats on the ipad, just getting it "done" doesn't cut it even if that is the group's approach)

We were then introduced to one of the department managers who was there to sit along and observe along with the HR person. (Didn't say much but noticed how this person and HR person passed around the ipad during interview most likely going over notes on who they liked or didn't for the job whilst the interview was taking place.) We were given another task of picking an event or new product that JC Penney could promote. Each were given a sheet with four options. Each person picked the best option and had to elaborate why it would be the best option for the store, the benefits, the cons of the others etc. We were then instructed to select the best option out of the four each of the members had selected. Again this is when they're going to observe your leadership and interaction skills. How you came to the decision, etc.

The interview ended shortly afterward. Total process took about one hour. We were told they'd get back to us, had to go through background checks, drug test etc. However as with any job interview if interested they will let you know or give some sort of indication before you leave that office that they are interested. Two of the individuals were held back for some sort of questioning on their application. It was pretty easy to read between the lines that they would be offered the job.

Interview Question – The group interview aspect was unexpected and a surprise. Definitely a learning experience.   Answer Question

Fort Smith, AR

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney in September 2012.

Interview Details – I filled out the application on the net. I was called to set up an interview. During the interview what the job entailed was explain more thoroughly. He thought by my application I would work well in another position, but I declined. He relented, and we discussed salary. I was told it would be about a week before I could start. A week later I was a JC Penney employee.

Interview Question – I applied for Support Specialist. I was asked if I would work in Loss Prevention instead.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I have skills he was looking for. He offered me a good wage, and I took it.

Very Easy Interview

Rockford, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and was contacted by an HR worker two weeks later. The day after the initial call, the department supervisor called saying that she would like to meet me in person. I was surprised that she said that instead of saying the term "interview". The interviewing process was extremely easy. Because I am a college student, she asked when I will return to school. I will be trained next week and w

Interview Question – These questions were very obvious and expected. As I have never been employed, she wanted me to tell her more about myself. I described my past experiences with community service and how I dealt with difficult situations. She also asked what it satisfactory customer services means and I provided her with specific examples. Finally, she asked if I had any questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate.

Very Easy Interview

Support Specialist

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview Details – I received a phone call 3 days after applying, and was given a phone interview right away. Here she asked the majority of the questions (previous job experience, why I wanted to work at JCP, etc.). I scheduled a group interview for the next day, and arrived 15 minutes early. No one else was there until about 5 minutes before the interview time. We started with stating our name, and a little bit about ourselves. Next, we had a team building exercise involving blocks, which was challenging, but fun. Then we each gave a one minute presentation on an assigned topic, and then we gave a one minute group presentation. Afterwards, everyone else was called into another room one by one. I was asked again why I wanted the position, and then brought out onto the sales floor where I was given 15 minutes to display items on a rack. Then, I was brought back into the interview room, where I was offered a job, which I accepted. I believe there were 2 of us hired. I was told I'd receive a call or email (the interview was today) to schedule the training date, which will most likely be day after tomorrow. I was also told that I'd probably start in a week! Everyone was extremely nice, and I'm excited to start!

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions.
-Where have you worked in the past?
-What were your duties?
-What was your favorite part about the job?
-Why did you leave?
-Why would you like to work at J. C. Penney?
-What would your previous employer say your strengths are?
-What could you improve upon (what are your weaknesses)?
-What are your future plans?
-Are you going to college?
-Will you be available to work mornings and weekends?
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was offered a job at the end of the interview. They want detail-oriented people for this position, so make sure you try to show that in the different exercises. I was asked during the phone interview what wage I thought was fair, and I said minimum wage. However, I was offered $8.00 an hour when I was hired, which I gladly accepted.

Support Specialist

I applied online and interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview Details – There were two parts to the interview process all in one day and not everyone makes it to the second part. Good luck!

Interview Question – Interview was just how you would sell different products not so much questions.   Answer Question

Stillwater, OK

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J. C. Penney in November 2013.

Interview Details – Three part interview process. First part is a team-work exercise which, while it can be fun, is rather tedious and awkward, with little foreseeable application to the job. The second part is a sales test. Your hiring manager gives you several minutes to look around the store, and then begins a scenario situation where the manager plays a customer. You recommend a product based on the situation. You are also required to re-arrange a clothing rack. On the last interview, you meet with your hiring manager and "1," the store supervisor. You are asked a series of questions which pertain to your previous experience and your work ethic/goals. Then you are contacted regarding your job application status.

Interview Question – I was asked about a gap in my work experience.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was asked my anticipated compensation, which I offered. I was counter-offered with a higher wage than I had offered. I accepted the proposed wage.

Plano, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney in September 2013.

Interview Details – I just had a group interview on Tuesday and was told I will receive a call Friday. Now I have a second interview hoping I will get the job! :)

Interview Question – Very interesting   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I accepted the second interview, I'm still waiting what the results will be.

Marquette, MI

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J. C. Penney in June 2009.

Interview Details – Applied online via jcp.com. Got a call back within a week for a interview. The interview consisted of the store manager asking your typical interview questions. What are your strengths/weaknesses and lots of "tell me about a time."

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had to tell your boss something he/she did not want to hear.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Salary was based on experience in retail. The better you are at selling yourself the more you will be offered.

Salisbury, MD

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney in May 2013.

Interview Details – I first applied online and was called back the next day after applying online. I went in and was very prepared for anything that could possibly happen during my interview. I first met with the training supervisor and then had an interview with the store manager then finally with my supervisor for the Support Specialists.

Interview Question – What does the Fair and square motto mean?   Answer Question

Support Specialist

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview Details – Applied online and received a call back within two weeks. During the call there were basic questions asked as far as availability; weekends were emphasized as these are the busiest days for the store. I was also asked why I would like to work for J.C. Penny. The in person 1:1 interview was 3 days later. I went in bright and early prepared for whatever was going to be thrown my way. I was asked about a time when a customer was upset and what I did. I was asked if I could start work right now, what department or section of the store I would like to be placed in. I was asked about a time when someone ruined to opportunity to gain a consistent customer. I just gave a personal experience about a time I had as a customer. Also, I was asked about a time where I had to deal with a major change and how I dealt with it. The interview process went very well. Now I wait for the background check to go through and then receive a call of when to come in and do paperwork and then start working.

Interview Question – Not very difficult questions. Just be able to talk about yourself and your experiences.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. I accepted the offer as it was given. Keep in mind, this is a part-time position in retail. You must be logical.

Worked for J. C. Penney? Contribute to the Community!