J. C. Penney

2.0

23 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fresno, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fresno, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. C. Penney in October 2014.

I applied and got a call to come in for an interview about a week after applying. I had a group interview with 4 other girls an another person who didn't show up. We did the citiblock activity and then talked a little to see how we communicate with one another. Then was told we would hear back on Friday if we got the job. Interview was on Tuesday. Its been 2 weeks already and I haven't heard back. So I'm guessing I didn't get the job I hope I'm wrong could really use the job.

Interview Questions
  • No difficult questions. Just asked How could we say how can i help you in a different way.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for J. C. Penney

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Downey, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Downey, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at J. C. Penney in August 2014.

I applied at the end of July and got a callback for Support Specialist five days later. The lady on the end of the phone was really friendly let me know that she liked what she saw on my resume and proceeded to ask me a few questions. Since I have worked retail experience, she asked me about my job duties, pros and cons, do I easily get frustrated, and what I have to offer as a support specialist, and other basic questions about school and career choices since I graduated college recently. She then stated that she liked what she heard and would like to invite me to interview for some "Talent Tryouts" for the following week at 8am. She then just went over the job description and I accepted to interview.
         I did my research and prepared myself for the interview by reading other questions posted on here and based on my prior experience interviewing. The interview I arrived half hour early was told we were expecting 7 other people, however, they did not show up until past 8am. Which I thought to myself where's the professionalism in that, but whatever none of my business I am here early and that's what counts. So, as soon as everyone was in the room, two ladies came in and introduced themselves and their job title and what they do. One was lead support and other lead pricing, I believe. Proceeding that, we went around the room introducing ourselves and any experience we may have in support. They took notes, then asked "what can we offer to the support team?". After that, she stated the important qualities they seek then walked us out to the floor, split us in teams of two, and as a team had us put clothes in the racks and organize a table (*they want to see communication between you and your partner*). After that they told us what we did good, and what it should look like. Afterwards they led us back to the room and told us that usually they would call us in a few days or so to let us know if we got the job or not, however, that for today they would let us know right there and then.
           So one by one they called us into another room. They called my name and walked me over to the other room, sat me down, and she told me you got the job. She let me know what I would be doing, talked salary, and that in 5 days they would call me for training. I was super excited and thanked her.

Interview Questions
    Considering that the minimum wage in Cali went up to $9, I didn't negotiate because I was making less before. So I agreed to $9.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Freehold, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Freehold, NJ

I applied online – interviewed at J. C. Penney in August 2014.

I was called 8/6/2014, after having applied three or four days prior, by a manager of the J.C. Penney store I applied to so as to setup an interview. The interview was held 5 days after, and was conducted primarily by a department supervisor of the support specialists. The interview consisted primarily of simple questions, like "why did you choose to apply at J.C. Penney?" and also included information regarding the position for which I had applied. Overall, the interview process was fairly simple and lasted about 20 minutes.

Interview Questions
    Offered minimum wage and accepted.

Support Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. C. Penney in July 2014.

I've never participated in an interview process like J.C. Penney's before this experience. I had to come in for a "Talent Tryout", which consisted of myself and three others spending an hour interacting and working on tasks. I admit I was nervous because honestly it just felt weird to me. Two employees, the store leader and a HR employee, observed us working on the two tasks but did not really interact with us. We had to instruct each other how to build a block structure first, then we had to pitch a sales idea to the group. Unless J.C. Penney is really your ideal place to work, I wouldn't recommend putting in the effort. I really needed a job, but did not receive an offer. At the end of the interview, the store leader informed us only two people would be hired. Two people would not be hired. In my opinion, it's a bad interviewing process that wastes valuable time. I do not feel the hiring manager or store leader got any real sense of who I was from this experiment. Weird.

Interview Questions
    • Unconventional "talent tryout" interview; no questions   Answer Question

Support Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at J. C. Penney.

I received a phone call 3 days after applying, and was given a phone interview right away. Here she asked the majority of the questions (previous job experience, why I wanted to work at JCP, etc.). I scheduled a group interview for the next day, and arrived 15 minutes early. No one else was there until about 5 minutes before the interview time. We started with stating our name, and a little bit about ourselves. Next, we had a team building exercise involving blocks, which was challenging, but fun. Then we each gave a one minute presentation on an assigned topic, and then we gave a one minute group presentation. Afterwards, everyone else was called into another room one by one. I was asked again why I wanted the position, and then brought out onto the sales floor where I was given 15 minutes to display items on a rack. Then, I was brought back into the interview room, where I was offered a job, which I accepted. I believe there were 2 of us hired. I was told I'd receive a call or email (the interview was today) to schedule the training date, which will most likely be day after tomorrow. I was also told that I'd probably start in a week! Everyone was extremely nice, and I'm excited to start!

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions.
      -Where have you worked in the past?
      -What were your duties?
      -What was your favorite part about the job?
      -Why did you leave?
      -Why would you like to work at J. C. Penney?
      -What would your previous employer say your strengths are?
      -What could you improve upon (what are your weaknesses)?
      -What are your future plans?
      -Are you going to college?
      -Will you be available to work mornings and weekends?

Answer Question
    I was offered a job at the end of the interview. They want detail-oriented people for this position, so make sure you try to show that in the different exercises. I was asked during the phone interview what wage I thought was fair, and I said minimum wage. However, I was offered $8.00 an hour when I was hired, which I gladly accepted.

Support Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. C. Penney in May 2014.

Applied online for the support specialist position at J.C. Penney. Was contacted by phone about a week later and had a very short five minute, fairly easy phone interview with HR. Basic questions consisted of why do you want to work at J.C. Penney, current job status, what are some of your strengths. Then we went over what the job entails, salary expectations and hours. I initiated a lot of those questions so I'm not sure what normally takes place. Scheduled for in person interview for two days later.

Went in two days later sat down in office was immediately met with HR person that had phone interview with. She handed out name tags for the group of four people waiting to be interviewed. Had no idea this would be a group interview. We were all lead into this office and sat down surrounding a table with building blocks on it. Given some quick instructions with an ipad and were given 10 seconds at a time to look at the structure then without ipad give out instructions and lead others into recreating the structure. This process went on for several rounds and we were given five minutes total as a group. This is when they're observing how well you interact with the others on your team, your skills, if you're passive, if you take initiative, how do you deal with adversity, treat others etc. (They do want the structure color coordinated and similar to whats on the ipad, just getting it "done" doesn't cut it even if that is the group's approach)

We were then introduced to one of the department managers who was there to sit along and observe along with the HR person. (Didn't say much but noticed how this person and HR person passed around the ipad during interview most likely going over notes on who they liked or didn't for the job whilst the interview was taking place.) We were given another task of picking an event or new product that JC Penney could promote. Each were given a sheet with four options. Each person picked the best option and had to elaborate why it would be the best option for the store, the benefits, the cons of the others etc. We were then instructed to select the best option out of the four each of the members had selected. Again this is when they're going to observe your leadership and interaction skills. How you came to the decision, etc.

The interview ended shortly afterward. Total process took about one hour. We were told they'd get back to us, had to go through background checks, drug test etc. However as with any job interview if interested they will let you know or give some sort of indication before you leave that office that they are interested. Two of the individuals were held back for some sort of questioning on their application. It was pretty easy to read between the lines that they would be offered the job.

Interview Questions
    • The group interview aspect was unexpected and a surprise. Definitely a learning experience.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockford, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rockford, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. C. Penney in May 2014.

I applied online and was contacted by an HR worker two weeks later. The day after the initial call, the department supervisor called saying that she would like to meet me in person. I was surprised that she said that instead of saying the term "interview". The interviewing process was extremely easy. Because I am a college student, she asked when I will return to school. I will be trained next week and w

Interview Questions
    • These questions were very obvious and expected. As I have never been employed, she wanted me to tell her more about myself. I described my past experiences with community service and how I dealt with difficult situations. She also asked what it satisfactory customer services means and I provided her with specific examples. Finally, she asked if I had any questions.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate.

Support Specialist Interview

I applied online – interviewed at J. C. Penney.

There were two parts to the interview process all in one day and not everyone makes it to the second part. Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • Interview was just how you would sell different products not so much questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stillwater, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stillwater, OK

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. C. Penney in November 2013.

Three part interview process. First part is a team-work exercise which, while it can be fun, is rather tedious and awkward, with little foreseeable application to the job. The second part is a sales test. Your hiring manager gives you several minutes to look around the store, and then begins a scenario situation where the manager plays a customer. You recommend a product based on the situation. You are also required to re-arrange a clothing rack. On the last interview, you meet with your hiring manager and "1," the store supervisor. You are asked a series of questions which pertain to your previous experience and your work ethic/goals. Then you are contacted regarding your job application status.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked about a gap in my work experience.   View Answer
    I was asked my anticipated compensation, which I offered. I was counter-offered with a higher wage than I had offered. I accepted the proposed wage.

Support Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at J. C. Penney in October 2013.

There is an online assessment to complete. Based on a predetermined scoring of this aptitude test determines if you get an interview. The hardest part to complete is the personality test (which is easy), especially if seeking a job for seasonal work. Once a call is received for the interview, the process is pretty quick and all happened in a couple of days. Hired during interview and scheduled for first day of training.