J. C. Penney

Getting the Interview

7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Visual Merchandiser

I applied through other source and the process took 4 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview Details – Generally one home office interview, one local interview, one interview from field agent, and final interview with district manager for management positions.

Interview Question – What have you planned and failed?   View Answer

Visual Merchandiser Interview

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney in May 2012.

Interview Details – They do perform group interviews. There were three of us during my hire. They ask many scenario questions...just remember to have the company's best interest in mind when answering.

Interview Question – They ask many scenario questions...just remember to have the company's best interest in mind when answering.   Answer Question

Santa Rosa, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at J. C. Penney.

Interview Details – Got called a day after I applied online to come in for interview. It was a group interview with about 10 people and the first thing that was said was that the position I applied for was filled and they were just looking for holiday temps.

Interview Question – None, all pretty easy.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I was going away for the holidays.

Very Easy Interview

Richmond Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J. C. Penney in July 2012.

Interview Details – Was contacted by phone at 3:30 one afternoon, possibly a week after filling out an application online. The woman asked me a few questions about my schedule and what hours I was comfortable working. She warned me the schedule varies widely and I might only get 15 hours one week and 40 the next. I said okay. She asked if I could go in for an interview at 6:00 and I panicked a little because of the short notice, but I agreed to it anyway. The interview was the best I have ever had. The interviewer was really nice and treated me with a lot of respect. I interviewed with him and the department manager. The department manager was very busy but took the time to meet with me, which was nice. I accepted the position despite the fact that it was $1.00 less an hour than I wanted because I just felt like they treated me so well.

Interview Question – No difficult questions. Describe a time when you worked on a project as part of a team.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I told him I was hoping for more but he assured me if I worked hard I could move up quickly and he seemed authentic. Also, the hours would save me childcare expenses, so it was win-win.

Visual Merchandising Interview

Pleasanton, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at J. C. Penney in October 2010.

Interview Details – This was thye easiest interview I've ever been through. It was actually fun! It wasn't like Kohls - where they went around the table and asked for everybodies answer to thier questions. It was a free for all when they asked the questions. You could respond or not respond. It was great! In the end they went out of the room to discuss between themselves. They came backj and said this group needs to go here- well, that meant - see y7a!. Next, they called us in individually to discuss placement. I applied for full-time and they didn't really accommodate me. I pretty much wasted my time going to this interview because they only offered me part-time employment. WTF?

Interview Question – They gave us 3 different questions with difficult customers.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Applied for full-time. They hired me and only offered part-time. THANK-YOU

Very Easy Interview

Visual Merchandiser

I applied online - interviewed at J. C. Penney in November 2012.

Interview Details – I applied online a month before I was called for an interiew. I was interiewed by the store manager. He didn't ask me any interviewing questions. He only asked questions about previous jobs I had. Took less than 3 min! I was hired on the spot.

Interviewed at J. C. Penney

Interview Details – Why do I want to work there.

Interview Question – Lots of sales questions.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at J. C. Penney

Worked for J. C. Penney? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at J. C. Penney Visual Merchandiser interview questions and advice. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by J. C. Penney employees and interview candidates.