J. Crew Interview Questions in Boston, MA

Updated Oct 8, 2014

1.7

7 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wrentham, MA

A friend that was working at the outlets brought me to help the store with their floorset, and I was hired on the spot. Once you get hired at one store (regardless if it is the outlet or even Madewell) you can transfer to any other store you want.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Braintree, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Braintree, MA

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. Crew in November 2013.

The hiring process was relatively easy. I was hired as seasonal so it was initially a group interview. I believe it was moreso to evaluate our appearance and ability to sell. The initial interview was more informational and then I had a separate interview with the Store Manager. She asked me typical questions about selling such as tell me a situation when you went above and beyond the call of duty...

Interview Questions
    • All of the questions are canned questions so they were relatively easy...how do you handle conflict, etc...   Answer Question

Sales Support Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. Crew in April 2013.

The interview process for retail was very laid back. I walked into the store, asked to fill out an application, and had a short chat with the manager about why I was interested in working at J.Crew. They were very friendly and the conversation was casual. I was then contacted for a second interview a week or so later, and was asked basic questions about sales and customer service.

Interview Questions
    • N/A - the interview questions were all very simple and straight-forward.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chestnut Hill, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chestnut Hill, MA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at J. Crew in June 2012.

Completed a lengthy paper application in-store, then asked back within 2 weeks for an interview. Asked about the value of customer service, value of attention to detail, past work experience, people skills, why you love shopping at J.Crew. During interview, told about salary, hourly sales requirements, discount, dress code and expected number of weekly hours. Given a stipend to buy clothes for work! Multiple days of group training/orientation before start date.

Interview Questions
    • "Do you like interacting with customers, or not?"   View Answer
    Not able to negotiate salary. At-will employment.

Associate Store Manager ASM Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at J. Crew in February 2010.

I was an internal candidate. The best thing I can recommend is to tell everyone above you that you are interested in applying. Just one of your 4/5 peers/supervisors can have an effect and will challenge you about not coming to them. Even if this means moving to a different location, everyone you work with could be asked.

Interview Questions
    • What are your superiors strengths and weaknesses?   View Answer

Lead Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at J. Crew in July 2009.

Pretty standard. Two interviews, retail experience desired. In the end, they desire happy, friendly, helpful people who look well put together. If not, they'll settle for 3 of the 4, especially if it's around holiday. It's all about service - going the extra mile, smiling, being friendly and helpful. Competence is expected, but customer service is the deal-breaker. It's retail, and it's not going to change.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. They asked quite a bit about past retail experiences and how they were handled.   View Answer
    Not too much negotiating goes on, but you can counter if you'd like - but it'll delay the process which may become an issue if you need training (schedule wise)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wrentham, MA

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at J. Crew in July 2008.

The interview lasted about 45 minutes asking why I was interested in the industry, my past experience, and knowledge of clothing. This was for a position over the summer and they were looking to hire in order to meet demand at the outlet. I received an offer about a week later.