J. Crew Interview Questions in Boston, MA

Updated Aug 20, 2015

1.7

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at J. Crew (Boston, MA).

Interview

20 minutes, pretty informal, I sat down with a manager and we talked for a while. She interviewed me and asked me if I had any questions, I had a few prepared. I asked about specific job duties, holiday schedules, informed her about an upcoming professional obligation at my full-time job to give her a heads up.

Interview Questions

• Why J. Crew?   1 Answer
    • Have you ever dealt with a less than ideal customer and how did you handle it?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at J. Crew (Burlington, MA).

Interview

My interview process was quick since the store had just opened in this location. I filled out an application and was interviewed on site, and was hired on the spot. They asked me to begin working later that week.

Anonymous Employee in Wrentham, MA

Interview

A friend that was working at the outlets brought me to help the store with their floorset, and I was hired on the spot. Once you get hired at one store (regardless if it is the outlet or even Madewell) you can transfer to any other store you want.

Anonymous Employee in Braintree, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at J. Crew (Braintree, MA) in November 2013.

Interview

The hiring process was relatively easy. I was hired as seasonal so it was initially a group interview. I believe it was moreso to evaluate our appearance and ability to sell. The initial interview was more informational and then I had a separate interview with the Store Manager. She asked me typical questions about selling such as tell me a situation when you went above and beyond the call of duty...

Interview Questions

• All of the questions are canned questions so they were relatively easy...how do you handle conflict, etc...   Answer Question

Sales Support Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J. Crew (Boston, MA) in April 2013.

Interview

The interview process for retail was very laid back. I walked into the store, asked to fill out an application, and had a short chat with the manager about why I was interested in working at J.Crew. They were very friendly and the conversation was casual. I was then contacted for a second interview a week or so later, and was asked basic questions about sales and customer service.

Interview Questions

• N/A - the interview questions were all very simple and straight-forward.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chestnut Hill, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at J. Crew (Chestnut Hill, MA) in June 2012.

Interview

Completed a lengthy paper application in-store, then asked back within 2 weeks for an interview. Asked about the value of customer service, value of attention to detail, past work experience, people skills, why you love shopping at J.Crew. During interview, told about salary, hourly sales requirements, discount, dress code and expected number of weekly hours. Given a stipend to buy clothes for work! Multiple days of group training/orientation before start date.

Interview Questions

• "Do you like interacting with customers, or not?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not able to negotiate salary. At-will employment.

Anonymous Employee in Wrentham, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at J. Crew (Wrentham, MA) in April 2011.

Interview

Filled out an application and was asked to come back two days later for an interview. Did one interview and was then hired, came in the following day to start training and working

Interview Questions

• How would you help a customer who needed to find something in the store   1 Answer

Associate Store Manager ASM Interview

Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at J. Crew (Burlington, MA) in February 2010.

Interview

I was an internal candidate. The best thing I can recommend is to tell everyone above you that you are interested in applying. Just one of your 4/5 peers/supervisors can have an effect and will challenge you about not coming to them. Even if this means moving to a different location, everyone you work with could be asked.

Interview Questions

• What are your superiors strengths and weaknesses?   1 Answer

Lead Cashier Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at J. Crew (Boston, MA) in July 2009.

Interview

Pretty standard. Two interviews, retail experience desired. In the end, they desire happy, friendly, helpful people who look well put together. If not, they'll settle for 3 of the 4, especially if it's around holiday. It's all about service - going the extra mile, smiling, being friendly and helpful. Competence is expected, but customer service is the deal-breaker. It's retail, and it's not going to change.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected. They asked quite a bit about past retail experiences and how they were handled.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Not too much negotiating goes on, but you can counter if you'd like - but it'll delay the process which may become an issue if you need training (schedule wise)

Anonymous Employee in Wrentham, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at J. Crew (Wrentham, MA) in July 2008.

Interview

The interview lasted about 45 minutes asking why I was interested in the industry, my past experience, and knowledge of clothing. This was for a position over the summer and they were looking to hire in order to meet demand at the outlet. I received an offer about a week later.