J. Crew Interview Questions

Updated Jun 26, 2015

2.3

Supervisor Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Asheville, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at J. Crew (Asheville, NC) in May 2013.

Interview

I went in for a series of panel interviews all in one day. The first interview they really drilled me with difficult situations that there was no way I could have had the answers to. They just wanted to see how well I responded to stressful situations. The second interview was more laid-back; it was with different people and it was more of a getting-to-know-me type deal.

Interview Questions

• They were all situational-based questions specific to their company. Obviously, there was no way I could know the correct answer, but they wanted to see how I responded to it all. After I answered the questions, they would say, "very good. Here is how we would handle the situation."   Answer Question

Merchant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at J. Crew (New York, NY) in August 2012.

Interview

A lengthy process involving multiple visits. HR provided little background info to asset in prepping. First round I met with 4 different people. Second round I had a surprise style-out with a Merchant and then met with the VP and EVP of Merchandising. On my third round, I met with people from outside of the area I was interviewing for and then finally met with Mickey Drexler. It was a very abnormal interview, as they typically are with him.

Interview Questions

• Mickey fired off questions non-stop asking me about biggest risks I'd taken with follow ups on how much I bought, why didn't I buy more, how did this impact my business. His final question was "are you a good merchant?"   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was not told what my actual job would be and therefore had little room to negotiate. They feel that so many people want to get in with the company that little negotiating happens.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at J. Crew (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

I first talked with an HR recruiter in January (20 min conversation) about my background and then was emailing with her until March when I went into the corporate offices for a group interview. The group interview consisted of 3-4 individual interviews with different merchants (this was for a merchandising intern) and then as a group, we were interviewed by the CEO Mickey Drexler. Definitely be prepared to answer what J.Crew could do better, your favorite stores and why, and other industry questions.

Interview Questions

• What could J.Crew do better?   1 Answer

Keyholder Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at J. Crew.

Interview

initially recruited from another retailer by the store director. total of 5 interviews and process started and then disappeared. reappeared 5 months later. in person interview with store director(2), and phone interviews with the regional recruiter, district manager, and regional director before an offer was made by the store director.

Interview Questions

• would you give up your freelance personal consulting business if it was viewed as a conflict of interest?( this was a specific question tailored to my individual situation)   1 Answer

Negotiation

money is low and there are ranges for each job tier. try to get as close to the top of your tier as possible up front. bonuses are based on whole store performance, so there is no guarantee that bonus is forthcoming. there was not much room for negotiating in the lower management tier. I was able to land in the middle of the salary tier based on prior experience.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bloomington, MN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at J. Crew (Bloomington, MN) in March 2011.

Interview

I turned in an application and within a week, I got a reply back! had two interviews in the span of a week, and three weeks after turning in my application I was on the sales floor. They are very efficient.

Interview Questions

• "What is the nicest thing you've ever done for someone?"   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation phase.

Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at J. Crew (New York, NY) in February 2008.

Interview

They wanted to know your previous experiences and how you can deliver outstanding service.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Take it in this economy.....J. Crew is amazing!

Key Holder Interview

Anonymous Employee in Buford, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at J. Crew (Buford, GA) in October 2011.

Interview

Came in on a Tuesday morning to drop off my application. Talked to the Assistant Manager. Scheduled and interview for the following week. When the day came i showed up. Was well prepared. The store manager asked me questions like. What is your current store intake? How do you communicated to your employees? How long have you been with your current company? Why Jcrew?

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Jcrew?   1 Answer

J Crew Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at J. Crew (Edmonton, AB (Canada)) in May 2012.

Interview

It was a group interview in a conference centre, it will take you at least 3 hours.

Front-End Developer Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at J. Crew (New York, NY) in October 2011.

Interview

The interview process was misleading. They refused to tell me what job title I was applying for until the middle of the interview to which I realized I was not a fit. None of the interviewers seemed prepared nor did they take time to read my credentials. A couple were rather cold and checked out. I met over six people who asked the same questions over and over, more than half of which I could not answer because I was blindsided by the undisclosed job title.

Interview Questions

• What skills can you bring to this position?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in King of Prussia, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at J. Crew (King of Prussia, PA) in July 2012.

Interview

Filled out an paper application. Called few days later to check the status and they gave me the hiring manager. She gave me an interview, on interview, she asked "What is the typical J.crew customer?" and a few other practical questions. Then had me pick out 2 looks.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They ask was the pay rate ok with me(9/hr + commission) I tried to negotiate but the said the rate was set in stone. I took it anyway because I love the store and plan on working my way up. Gotta start from somewhere. :-)