J. Crew

Very Difficult Interview

Supervisor Intern Interview

Supervisor Intern
Asheville, NC

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at J. Crew in May 2013.

Interview Details – I went in for a series of panel interviews all in one day. The first interview they really drilled me with difficult situations that there was no way I could have had the answers to. They just wanted to see how well I responded to stressful situations. The second interview was more laid-back; it was with different people and it was more of a getting-to-know-me type deal.

Interview Question – They were all situational-based questions specific to their company. Obviously, there was no way I could know the correct answer, but they wanted to see how I responded to it all. After I answered the questions, they would say, "very good. Here is how we would handle the situation."   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Merchant Interview

Merchant
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at J. Crew in August 2012.

Interview Details – A lengthy process involving multiple visits. HR provided little background info to asset in prepping. First round I met with 4 different people. Second round I had a surprise style-out with a Merchant and then met with the VP and EVP of Merchandising. On my third round, I met with people from outside of the area I was interviewing for and then finally met with Mickey Drexler. It was a very abnormal interview, as they typically are with him.

Interview Question – Mickey fired off questions non-stop asking me about biggest risks I'd taken with follow ups on how much I bought, why didn't I buy more, how did this impact my business. His final question was "are you a good merchant?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was not told what my actual job would be and therefore had little room to negotiate. They feel that so many people want to get in with the company that little negotiating happens.

Keyholder Interview

Keyholder

I applied through other source and the process took 6 months - interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview Details – initially recruited from another retailer by the store director. total of 5 interviews and process started and then disappeared. reappeared 5 months later. in person interview with store director(2), and phone interviews with the regional recruiter, district manager, and regional director before an offer was made by the store director.

Interview Question – would you give up your freelance personal consulting business if it was viewed as a conflict of interest?( this was a specific question tailored to my individual situation)   View Answer

Negotiation Details – money is low and there are ranges for each job tier. try to get as close to the top of your tier as possible up front. bonuses are based on whole store performance, so there is no guarantee that bonus is forthcoming. there was not much room for negotiating in the lower management tier. I was able to land in the middle of the salary tier based on prior experience.

Bloomington, MN

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at J. Crew in March 2011.

Interview Details – I turned in an application and within a week, I got a reply back! had two interviews in the span of a week, and three weeks after turning in my application I was on the sales floor. They are very efficient.

Interview Question – "What is the nicest thing you've ever done for someone?"   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation phase.

Design Interview

Design
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at J. Crew in February 2008.

Interview Details – They wanted to know your previous experiences and how you can deliver outstanding service.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Take it in this economy.....J. Crew is amazing!

Key Holder Interview

Key Holder
Buford, GA

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at J. Crew in October 2011.

Interview Details – Came in on a Tuesday morning to drop off my application. Talked to the Assistant Manager. Scheduled and interview for the following week. When the day came i showed up. Was well prepared. The store manager asked me questions like. What is your current store intake? How do you communicated to your employees? How long have you been with your current company? Why Jcrew?

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Jcrew?   View Answer

J Crew Sales Interview

J Crew Sales
Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at J. Crew in May 2012.

Interview Details – It was a group interview in a conference centre, it will take you at least 3 hours.

Interview Question – What would ask J.Crew a company ?   Answer Question

Front-End Developer Interview

Front-End Developer
New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at J. Crew in October 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process was misleading. They refused to tell me what job title I was applying for until the middle of the interview to which I realized I was not a fit. None of the interviewers seemed prepared nor did they take time to read my credentials. A couple were rather cold and checked out. I met over six people who asked the same questions over and over, more than half of which I could not answer because I was blindsided by the undisclosed job title.

Interview Question – What skills can you bring to this position?   View Answer

King of Prussia, PA

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at J. Crew in July 2012.

Interview Details – Filled out an paper application. Called few days later to check the status and they gave me the hiring manager. She gave me an interview, on interview, she asked "What is the typical J.crew customer?" and a few other practical questions. Then had me pick out 2 looks.

Interview Question – What is the typical J.Crew customer?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They ask was the pay rate ok with me(9/hr + commission) I tried to negotiate but the said the rate was set in stone. I took it anyway because I love the store and plan on working my way up. Gotta start from somewhere. :-)

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J. Crew in August 2011.

Interview Details – I applied and got called in a month later. Hiring in the summer is very slow. They called and did a one on one interview where they asked about things on my resume, and how i would take care of customers given a difficult situation. I was then called for a group interview with managers. We were more briefed than interviewed. J.Crew paid us for training and after I week I was placed on the floor.

Interview Question – If a customer is returning an item that is really ragged or damaged would you let them return it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – You put your salary requirements in the initial paper application. 10/hr is starting salary.

Interviews for Top Jobs at J. Crew

Worked for J. Crew? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at J. Crew interview questions and advice. All 195 interview reviews posted anonymously by J. Crew employees and interview candidates.