J. Crew Interview Questions

Updated Oct 8, 2014

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at J. Crew in July 2014.

I applied this position on their hiring system, and it took me a while to finish all the process. Next day, I got a call to have my first interview, and during the interview, I filled up the application form and asked many questions about my previous working experiences, what did I learn, and why I left...etc., and the most related questions are about why choose J.Crew. After a few days, they called me to set up the second interview with another supervisor, he asked me my personal style, what are my favorite shops, and what do you think of J.Crew...etc. The result came out for a long time, it took about 2 weeks to process and check background.

Interview Questions
    • If your friends don't know J.Crew, how would you introduce the brand to them? What is different between J.Crew and other competitors?   Answer Question
    Working schedule

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at J. Crew.

it was a group orientation initially. Went well, but waited about a month, called and was told i wasn't the ideal candidate. I finally got in when i submitted an application at job fair at my school. Went for another group interview and got the job soon after. I guess I was a little more comfortable this time around because I knew what to expect.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. Crew in June 2014.

I applied through the store and filled out the paper application. After a week I received a call to have an interview in the store. The interview was with one of the store managers and it was very casual and informal. Some of the questions that were asked were: how would describe Jcrews style? what stores do you buy your clothes at? who would you say Jcrews competitors are? where do you get your fashion inspiration from?

Interview Questions
    • The questions were very straight forward and easy to answer.   Answer Question

My work load for school became to heavy.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. Crew in June 2014.

First thing, you have to go into the store and ask for an application. The Store Manager will give a quick interview you on the spot, but their question will most likely be " Why do you want to work at Jcrew?

About a week later, I received a call about coming in for an interview, and while I got that information, the manager interviewed me over the phone. I came into the store two days later and interviewed again with the store manager and the HR rep. a few days later, I got the call about them extending the job offer.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions are customer service based, so you have to answer anything related to " going above and beyond for the customers"   Answer Question
    No-negotiation

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. Crew in June 2014.

I applied to J.Crew by calling the stores directly at first. I was then told that i would have to come in and apply by getting paperwork in-store. Took me a good 30 minutes to complete the application. I was given a call about 2 weeks later to set up a interview. The interview was group based. Questions were very general pertaining to the work environment and how one would react in a situation.

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at J. Crew.

I saw the listing online on the mall's website. I called to ask if the position was still available and was instructed to pick up an application in store (no online apps) at which time the hiring manager would review it with me. Once I filled it out and went turned it in I was expecting an informal interview right on the spot; instead the manager just made sure all the right things were clear and filled out, shook my had and I left. I went away on holiday and called about a week later to see when I was to expect to hear back. I promptly called the following week as well just to stay in-front of them and at which time they scheduled an interview two days from then. The interview itself was relatively relaxed and he asked a lot of valid question regarding past employment and how it would relate to J Crew: strengths, duties, difficult customer service experiences, etc. He also had a very inspiring bit about how he was asking these questions to utilize everyones personal strengths within their team, I was very impressed with their perfect balance of casual and professional. I filled out a background check and was to be expecting to hear back in a week.

Interview Questions
    • What would one thing your last employer (or in my case, intern manager) could say was your strong suit?   View Answer
    • Describe a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer. How did you handle the situation?   View Answer
    • How would you go about helping customers? How would you adjust case by case?   View Answer
    It was my first time in retail and they pay very fairly so I did not negotiate; although they do have a section on the application for what you expect to earn there. Not to mention the benefits are INCREDIBLY generous. Greatly looking forward to working here.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at J. Crew.

I had one interview with the hiring store manager, who was very friendly and helpful. I called a week later on the phone to follow up with the manager who told me what the hiring rate they could provide me was.There was a great working environment there.

Interview Questions
    • most of the questions were about my previous working experience and about how i felt about working with clients   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at J. Crew.

It was fine, I came in asked for a application, they gave me one and I filled it out. Then I turned it into the manager and chatted with her for a while. I got a call back a couple days later, for an interview the next day. The interview was fine, really nice managers. Was called again like 2-4 days later, for an on boarding. Although, I have a feeling they could have withdrawn the offer if they didn't like the second meeting.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions posed to me.   View Answer
    It was my first job in retail so I didn't think it was appropriate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. Crew in May 2014.

It was a group interview, about 5 people. The store manager was very nice. No difficult question. But I'm not a native speaker. I think that's why I didn't get the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wrentham, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wrentham, MA

A friend that was working at the outlets brought me to help the store with their floorset, and I was hired on the spot. Once you get hired at one store (regardless if it is the outlet or even Madewell) you can transfer to any other store you want.