J. Crew Interview Questions

Updated Aug 21, 2015

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cypress, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at J. Crew (Cypress, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

Turned in application at store, received phone call for interview week after, interview the next week with store manager, hired on the spot, started working after the background check cleared. (No drug testing)

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had to be a leader in a situation?   1 Answer

Associate Manager Interview

Interview

The process began with a phone interview from HR Corporate, followed by 2 separate interviews, one with the new store director and one with the store director at a different location. Did not interview with the District Manager, which I expected for the position.

Interview Questions

• Interview was more conversational than the standard interview questions   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview

Manager went over my resume and asked about my past experiences with customers. Gave me situational questions about customer experiences to see how I would respond. Also asked where I get my style/fashion inspiration. Overall pretty easy interview just to gauge how well you can work with customers and sell product (somewhat commission based job)

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at J. Crew (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

I first talked with an HR recruiter in January (20 min conversation) about my background and then was emailing with her until March when I went into the corporate offices for a group interview. The group interview consisted of 3-4 individual interviews with different merchants (this was for a merchandising intern) and then as a group, we were interviewed by the CEO Mickey Drexler. Definitely be prepared to answer what J.Crew could do better, your favorite stores and why, and other industry questions.

Interview Questions

• What could J.Crew do better?   1 Answer

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Howell, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at J. Crew (Howell, MI) in March 2015.

Interview

I originally handed in my application when the manager was unavailable to speak with me at the moment, the associate manger took my application and asked me a few questions such as "why do I want to work at J. Crew?" Later that day the head manger called and apologized for not meeting me in person and said she would file for my background check that day. Two days later I called after not hearing anything and asked about my application process, the associate manger said that me background check had just came in today and that the head store manger would call me the following day to schedule a formal interview. After hearing nothing the following day I went into the store in person the next day and spoke to the store manger. She was very polite and kind, she gave me a formal interview in the office of the store that day and we discussed availability and pay and she told to to come in the upcoming Friday to finalize some paperwork and to find a start date.

Interview Questions

• Why do I want to work at J. Crew?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was given room to negotiate my wage, but I did not want to push my luck and seem demanding so I accepted J. Crews base wage which is $9.10 an hour which is much more than my states minimum wage. They were also very flexible about my hours given the fact that I am a full time student.

Help Desk Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J. Crew (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Started out with a phone screen with a recruiter. Then met with the recruiter I spoke with on the phone, as well as his colleague. Then Met with Tech Recruiter one one one. Then met with 3 members of the help desk team. One of which was part of their internship program prior to be hired.

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J. Crew (Alpharetta, GA) in March 2015.

Interview

The hiring process was very easy. It's not a 2 step process like most job (at least not for me). Because I worked for J.Crew before it was treated like a rehiring process so it didn't take too long. Their main concern is knowing that you have retail experience and can dress the part for J.Crew.

Interview Questions

• Are you good at selling women's clothing?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greensboro, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at J. Crew (Greensboro, NC) in March 2015.

Interview

I went in the store to shop one day and as I was checking out I was having a conversation with the lady and she was saying they needed help in the store. I took an application home and filled it out, which took about 30 minutes, and brought it back into the store three days later. The manager that I handed my application to asked if I knew anything about the brand right when I gave him my application. He then said that he would call to set up an interview. I got the call three days later and I went in the next day. The interview only lasted around fifteen minutes and the questions were fairly simple. He told me they would be in touch within the next few days. The day after I got a call to set up a phone interview with a manager from another store. I did the phone interview the next day. It lasted about fifteen minutes as well but had more questions. At the end of the call he said he would let the store manager that interviewed me that he was okay with me. I heard from the store manager two days later (when my background check had came in) and was hired. I go in tomorrow to try on all of the clothes to understand the fit and materials. The process was a little lengthy for a sales associate position but I understand they only want serious people working for them.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at J.Crew? What led you here?Asked about previous work experience that related to the sales associate position.   Answer Question
    • What was a time that you experienced positive customer service while shopping? What made it positive? How did the people working make you feel while you were there?   Answer Question
    • Where do you get your fashion inspiration? How do you keep up with the latest trends in fashion?   Answer Question
    • How would the people at your last job describe you? When was a time that you gave good customer service and made the customer happy? Have you ever had to deal with a difficult customer and what did you do about it? Did you have to deal with product knowledge in your previous jobs?   Answer Question
    • Who are J.Crew's biggest competitors and why?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview

I applied in store during the holiday season so it was a bit hectic. Was given an interview on the spot by the manager. They liked me and had me fill out a background check that same day. I was told they'd follow up with me once my background check cleared. As I said before, I applied two weeks before Christmas so it was busy for them and the total hiring process took about 2 months. I followed up with them every two weeks just to show interest in the position and was called in once the season was over. For the initial walk in I wore a fitted Oxford button down shirt, colored chinos and leather boots. I was offered the position and I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Previous experience, any experience in retail? What do you know about the brand? What days would you be available to work?   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview

Applied online, and heard back the next day. Asked me to walk them through my resume and work experience. Interview Process was smooth, and the people I talked with were very nice. Followed with basic interview questions, like why I chose my major, and why I think I'm a good fit etc.