J. Crew Interview Questions & Reviews

2.3

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at J. Crew.

I had one interview with the hiring store manager, who was very friendly and helpful. I called a week later on the phone to follow up with the manager who told me what the hiring rate they could provide me was.There was a great working environment there.

Interview Questions
    • most of the questions were about my previous working experience and about how i felt about working with clients   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at J. Crew.

It was fine, I came in asked for a application, they gave me one and I filled it out. Then I turned it into the manager and chatted with her for a while. I got a call back a couple days later, for an interview the next day. The interview was fine, really nice managers. Was called again like 2-4 days later, for an on boarding. Although, I have a feeling they could have withdrawn the offer if they didn't like the second meeting.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions posed to me.   View Answer
    It was my first job in retail so I didn't think it was appropriate.

Associate Store Manager ASM Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Burlington, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at J. Crew in February 2010.

I was an internal candidate. The best thing I can recommend is to tell everyone above you that you are interested in applying. Just one of your 4/5 peers/supervisors can have an effect and will challenge you about not coming to them. Even if this means moving to a different location, everyone you work with could be asked.

Interview Questions
    • What are your superiors strengths and weaknesses?   View Answer

Sales Support Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. Crew in April 2013.

The interview process for retail was very laid back. I walked into the store, asked to fill out an application, and had a short chat with the manager about why I was interested in working at J.Crew. They were very friendly and the conversation was casual. I was then contacted for a second interview a week or so later, and was asked basic questions about sales and customer service.

Interview Questions
    • N/A - the interview questions were all very simple and straight-forward.   Answer Question

Client Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lynchburg, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lynchburg, VA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. Crew in August 2010.

Before receiving a face to face interview every employee must go through a phone interview which is basically a screening process. Once you pass the phone interview they ask you to come in for an in person interview. The interview is very informal and normally conducted with many other interviews going on at the same time. J.Crew has its "peak" seasons, like any retail store, and often does mass hiring drives. So the face-to-face interview is very brief and they ask you a few standard questions and then if you get the job they offer it to you the same day.

Interview Questions
    • They ask every potential employee to give a sales pitch for a random item of clothing which doesn't have to be a great pitch, but they want to see if you even have potential to sell an item to a customer.   View Answer
    They're is no wages negotiation, you basically sign a few forms and pick the hours you are able to work.

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at J. Crew in March 2014.

On the day of your interview you talk to the hiring assistant who stand at the door and they'll tell you to wait up stairs until your interview time is up or until the person before you is done with their interview. When you finally get to your interview the hiring manager at the time will ask you things like "what brings you to J.Crew?" and based on your job experience they'll ask you "how that ties into j.crew?" "What's you thought on customer relations? "If a customer came in and didn't know what they wanted to buy how would you get them to leave with something?" "What interest you in fashion?" "What is the j.crew aesthetic and what draws you to it?" "Explain your outfit choice" after they're done with the interview they'll send you a letter in a bout 3 days to tell you if you have another interview or not.

Interview Questions
    • At the end they might ask you where you're heading so they can get a feel of the demographic you hang around to see if they're the right kind of people that you might bring to the store.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Wrentham, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wrentham, MA

A friend that was working at the outlets brought me to help the store with their floorset, and I was hired on the spot. Once you get hired at one store (regardless if it is the outlet or even Madewell) you can transfer to any other store you want.

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at J. Crew in April 2014.

For Jcrew and Madewell you have to apply in person, so I asked the sales associate if they were hiring and she directed me to a manager at the register who had me fill out an application. She looked it over and scheduled an interview with me for the next day. The interview was pretty standard. Be sure to dress in Jcrew's style (preppy, layered, etc.) and they really value knowledge of their products and any interest you have in fashion.

No negotiations.

Sales Associate Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at J. Crew in April 2014.

Was shopping in store with a friend and asked if they had any openings. They handed me an app and I was introduced to the hiring manager who arrange an interview for the next day. Gave them my app during my interview and they asked me to describe my previous work experience (no previous experience in retail) and a few questions. They mostly stressed 'Why J. Crew?', but nothing out of the ordinary. They really seemed to want to get a sense of the person and how they would work in their store. The only question that caught me off guard was 'Describe yourself in two words.' Filled out paperwork for a background check and was told that it would take up to a week to hear back because of the background check being a little slow. Heard back today (so a total of about 4 or 5 days for the whole process) and I accepted!

Interview Questions
    Did not negotiate as I had no previous retail experience and I was offered more than I was expecting.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Durham, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I interviewed in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at J. Crew.

I delivered my application in store and asked to speak with a manager. I had a quick talk with the manager and scheduled another appointment to have an interview with the other manager.