J. Crew

Updated Dec 15, 2014
Updated Dec 15, 2014

2.3

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. Crew in June 2014.

I applied to J.Crew by calling the stores directly at first. I was then told that i would have to come in and apply by getting paperwork in-store. Took me a good 30 minutes to complete the application. I was given a call about 2 weeks later to set up a interview. The interview was group based. Questions were very general pertaining to the work environment and how one would react in a situation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. Crew in June 2014.

I applied through the store and filled out the paper application. After a week I received a call to have an interview in the store. The interview was with one of the store managers and it was very casual and informal. Some of the questions that were asked were: how would describe Jcrews style? what stores do you buy your clothes at? who would you say Jcrews competitors are? where do you get your fashion inspiration from?

Interview Questions
    • The questions were very straight forward and easy to answer.   Answer Question

My work load for school became to heavy.

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at J. Crew.

I saw the listing online on the mall's website. I called to ask if the position was still available and was instructed to pick up an application in store (no online apps) at which time the hiring manager would review it with me. Once I filled it out and went turned it in I was expecting an informal interview right on the spot; instead the manager just made sure all the right things were clear and filled out, shook my had and I left. I went away on holiday and called about a week later to see when I was to expect to hear back. I promptly called the following week as well just to stay in-front of them and at which time they scheduled an interview two days from then. The interview itself was relatively relaxed and he asked a lot of valid question regarding past employment and how it would relate to J Crew: strengths, duties, difficult customer service experiences, etc. He also had a very inspiring bit about how he was asking these questions to utilize everyones personal strengths within their team, I was very impressed with their perfect balance of casual and professional. I filled out a background check and was to be expecting to hear back in a week.

Interview Questions
    • What would one thing your last employer (or in my case, intern manager) could say was your strong suit?   View Answer
    • Describe a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer. How did you handle the situation?   View Answer
    • How would you go about helping customers? How would you adjust case by case?   View Answer
    It was my first time in retail and they pay very fairly so I did not negotiate; although they do have a section on the application for what you expect to earn there. Not to mention the benefits are INCREDIBLY generous. Greatly looking forward to working here.

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at J. Crew.

I had one interview with the hiring store manager, who was very friendly and helpful. I called a week later on the phone to follow up with the manager who told me what the hiring rate they could provide me was.There was a great working environment there.

Interview Questions
    • most of the questions were about my previous working experience and about how i felt about working with clients   Answer Question

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at J. Crew.

It was fine, I came in asked for a application, they gave me one and I filled it out. Then I turned it into the manager and chatted with her for a while. I got a call back a couple days later, for an interview the next day. The interview was fine, really nice managers. Was called again like 2-4 days later, for an on boarding. Although, I have a feeling they could have withdrawn the offer if they didn't like the second meeting.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions posed to me.   View Answer
    It was my first job in retail so I didn't think it was appropriate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. Crew in May 2014.

It was a group interview, about 5 people. The store manager was very nice. No difficult question. But I'm not a native speaker. I think that's why I didn't get the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wrentham, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wrentham, MA

A friend that was working at the outlets brought me to help the store with their floorset, and I was hired on the spot. Once you get hired at one store (regardless if it is the outlet or even Madewell) you can transfer to any other store you want.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at J. Crew.

I delivered my application in store and asked to speak with a manager. I had a quick talk with the manager and scheduled another appointment to have an interview with the other manager.

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at J. Crew.

When you apply you have to come to the store, no online applications for sales associates, although managerial positions are online. Once you return to the store and turn it in they run a back round check. I was asked only one question. The whole process took about 8 business days because the back round checks take a few days to a week, mine was the latter.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, was happy as is.

Supervisor Interview

Interview was good - easy but aimed directly at pulling in the best.