J. Crew Interview Questions

Updated Mar 23, 2015

2.3

Vice President Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at J. Crew.

Got in through executive search firm. After 2 rounds of interviews, including one with the hiring manager, was told the role was being redefined.

Great atmosphere in the NYC office. Very bright people. Interview with HR more structured, but with hiring manager very conversational and casual. Was not in a typical conference room. We were sitting on couches.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. Crew.

You have to pick up the application in store and may be asked some questions on the spot. After filling out the application I got a call back about a week later and set up an interview for the next day. Interviewed with manager and it was all very standard, relaxed, and casual. Dress preppy and have a good understanding of the brand.

Interview Questions
    • "Why do you want to work for J. Crew?"
      "What would you do if you saw someone stealing?"

Answer Question

Declined because I was offer a better paying position somewhere else.

Customer Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I applied online – interviewed at J. Crew in October 2014.

Applied online. Took an assessment online and got an email asking to call in for a phone screen interview with recruiter. Recruiter was fast paced. Haven't received a job offer yet, Will update with results.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think of our fashion design?   View Answer

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. Crew in October 2014.

An ad was listed on craigslist, I responded via email around ten in the evening and had heard back by the next morning to schedule an interview. Interview took place in a Starbucks over coffee with the local manager and a regional recruiter. I wore business casual attire, but nothing from J. Crew. It was laid-back, both interviewers were focused and easy to speak with. Typical HR questions such as "What is the best customer service experience you've had?", "What are some of your strengths?", "Have you dealt with disgruntled customers & how have you handled it?"

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult or surprising questions. Standard retail interview.   Answer Question
    I asked for more than I expected from retail, and ended up acceoting $0.25 less than I asked (which was still more than I anticipated).

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. Crew in October 2014.

Phone interview with HR regarding my previous and current experience. Asked to highlight key areas on my resume. Was asked about salary and what I was expecting. Company decided not to move forward even though telling me I was a strong candidate.

Seasonal Sales Associate Interview

I dropped off my application at the store and they contacted me soon after for an interview. We had a short interview with normal interview questions and it was a very easy process.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work in retail, and more specifically, why J. Crew?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Texas City, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Texas City, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at J. Crew in August 2014.

The interview was very basic, relaxed, and laid back. The person interviewing me seemed very casual and didn't ask any difficult questions. She told me upfront that J. Crew hires people not necessarily according to experience, but personality. After the interview, they called me a week later with the job offer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time where you had to turn a bad situation into a good outcome.   Answer Question

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. Crew.

I saw a posting outside of a new J. Crew store to open in my city and sent in a resume to the email address. I was contacted back within a few days to schedule an interview. I went in for an interview that was mostly fit--asked me about who I was, what my interests were, why J. Crew, what my favorite style was, what was my personal style, my greatest strengths and weaknesses, all pretty straightforward and what you would expect from a reasonable fit interview. My employer called me back within a few days to give me the offer but said that the background check needed to formally go through before he could extend the official offer. The background check came back clean, I was extended the offer, and went to training and work fairly shortly afterwards.

Selector Interview

I applied online – interviewed at J. Crew.

The process was very easy and very short. I was only brought in once for a single interview and was practically given the position on the spot. They reviewed the job functions and salary and asked me if I was okay with everything that they had outlines

Sales Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. Crew in July 2014.

Application is submitted in-store only. At submission of application a manger will ask basic questions such as availability, why J Crew, and work experience. Following, a manager will reach out for an interview. My interview for a small store was pretty quick and one-on-one, with the HR manager asking many questions such as why J Crew, basic selling strategy, etc. Nothing out of left field. Then the store manager also does an interview. Few personal questions are asked, but the managers are very attentive to responses.

Interview Questions
    I was able to request a schedule I liked and negotiated a possible raise in the future based on performance.