J. Crew

Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Support Associate Interview

Sales Support Associate
Boston, MA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. Crew in April 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process for retail was very laid back. I walked into the store, asked to fill out an application, and had a short chat with the manager about why I was interested in working at J.Crew. They were very friendly and the conversation was casual. I was then contacted for a second interview a week or so later, and was asked basic questions about sales and customer service.

Interview Question – N/A - the interview questions were all very simple and straight-forward.   Answer Question

Client Specialist Interview

Client Specialist
Lynchburg, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. Crew in August 2010.

Interview Details – Before receiving a face to face interview every employee must go through a phone interview which is basically a screening process. Once you pass the phone interview they ask you to come in for an in person interview. The interview is very informal and normally conducted with many other interviews going on at the same time. J.Crew has its "peak" seasons, like any retail store, and often does mass hiring drives. So the face-to-face interview is very brief and they ask you a few standard questions and then if you get the job they offer it to you the same day.

Interview Question – They ask every potential employee to give a sales pitch for a random item of clothing which doesn't have to be a great pitch, but they want to see if you even have potential to sell an item to a customer.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They're is no wages negotiation, you basically sign a few forms and pick the hours you are able to work.

New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J. Crew in March 2014.

Interview Details – On the day of your interview you talk to the hiring assistant who stand at the door and they'll tell you to wait up stairs until your interview time is up or until the person before you is done with their interview. When you finally get to your interview the hiring manager at the time will ask you things like "what brings you to J.Crew?" and based on your job experience they'll ask you "how that ties into j.crew?" "What's you thought on customer relations? "If a customer came in and didn't know what they wanted to buy how would you get them to leave with something?" "What interest you in fashion?" "What is the j.crew aesthetic and what draws you to it?" "Explain your outfit choice" after they're done with the interview they'll send you a letter in a bout 3 days to tell you if you have another interview or not.

Interview Question – At the end they might ask you where you're heading so they can get a feel of the demographic you hang around to see if they're the right kind of people that you might bring to the store.   View Answer

Wrentham, MA

Interviewed at J. Crew

Interview Details – A friend that was working at the outlets brought me to help the store with their floorset, and I was hired on the spot. Once you get hired at one store (regardless if it is the outlet or even Madewell) you can transfer to any other store you want.

Interview Question – I did not have to have an interview for this position   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J. Crew in April 2014.

Interview Details – For Jcrew and Madewell you have to apply in person, so I asked the sales associate if they were hiring and she directed me to a manager at the register who had me fill out an application. She looked it over and scheduled an interview with me for the next day. The interview was pretty standard. Be sure to dress in Jcrew's style (preppy, layered, etc.) and they really value knowledge of their products and any interest you have in fashion.

Interview Question – Describe Jcrew's stye in one word   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations.

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at J. Crew in April 2014.

Interview Details – Was shopping in store with a friend and asked if they had any openings. They handed me an app and I was introduced to the hiring manager who arrange an interview for the next day. Gave them my app during my interview and they asked me to describe my previous work experience (no previous experience in retail) and a few questions. They mostly stressed 'Why J. Crew?', but nothing out of the ordinary. They really seemed to want to get a sense of the person and how they would work in their store. The only question that caught me off guard was 'Describe yourself in two words.' Filled out paperwork for a background check and was told that it would take up to a week to hear back because of the background check being a little slow. Heard back today (so a total of about 4 or 5 days for the whole process) and I accepted!

Interview Question – Describe yourself in two words.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate as I had no previous retail experience and I was offered more than I was expecting.

Durham, NC

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview Details – I delivered my application in store and asked to speak with a manager. I had a quick talk with the manager and scheduled another appointment to have an interview with the other manager.

Interview Question – What makes you qualified to work here.   Answer Question

Sales Support Interview

Sales Support

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J. Crew in October 2011.

Interview Details – I hit it right on time when they were hiring, but its not always easy to get a job at J.Crew.
Tip : dress the part, do you research, express how much you love the brand !

Interview Question – Why do you think you will do better at J.Crew than past jobs.   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview Details – When you apply you have to come to the store, no online applications for sales associates, although managerial positions are online. Once you return to the store and turn it in they run a back round check. I was asked only one question. The whole process took about 8 business days because the back round checks take a few days to a week, mine was the latter.

Interview Question – "Why do you want to work for J. Crew?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, was happy as is.

Supervisor Interview

Supervisor

Interviewed at J. Crew

Interview Details – Interview was good - easy but aimed directly at pulling in the best.