J. Crew Interview Questions

Updated Sep 17, 2014

2.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Wrentham, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wrentham, MA

A friend that was working at the outlets brought me to help the store with their floorset, and I was hired on the spot. Once you get hired at one store (regardless if it is the outlet or even Madewell) you can transfer to any other store you want.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at J. Crew in April 2014.

For Jcrew and Madewell you have to apply in person, so I asked the sales associate if they were hiring and she directed me to a manager at the register who had me fill out an application. She looked it over and scheduled an interview with me for the next day. The interview was pretty standard. Be sure to dress in Jcrew's style (preppy, layered, etc.) and they really value knowledge of their products and any interest you have in fashion.

No negotiations.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at J. Crew in April 2014.

Was shopping in store with a friend and asked if they had any openings. They handed me an app and I was introduced to the hiring manager who arrange an interview for the next day. Gave them my app during my interview and they asked me to describe my previous work experience (no previous experience in retail) and a few questions. They mostly stressed 'Why J. Crew?', but nothing out of the ordinary. They really seemed to want to get a sense of the person and how they would work in their store. The only question that caught me off guard was 'Describe yourself in two words.' Filled out paperwork for a background check and was told that it would take up to a week to hear back because of the background check being a little slow. Heard back today (so a total of about 4 or 5 days for the whole process) and I accepted!

Interview Questions
    Did not negotiate as I had no previous retail experience and I was offered more than I was expecting.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Durham, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at J. Crew.

I delivered my application in store and asked to speak with a manager. I had a quick talk with the manager and scheduled another appointment to have an interview with the other manager.

Sales Support Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at J. Crew in October 2011.

I hit it right on time when they were hiring, but its not always easy to get a job at J.Crew.
    Tip : dress the part, do you research, express how much you love the brand !

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think you will do better at J.Crew than past jobs.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at J. Crew.

When you apply you have to come to the store, no online applications for sales associates, although managerial positions are online. Once you return to the store and turn it in they run a back round check. I was asked only one question. The whole process took about 8 business days because the back round checks take a few days to a week, mine was the latter.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, was happy as is.

Supervisor Interview

Interview was good - easy but aimed directly at pulling in the best.

2014 Merchandising Planner Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. Crew.

Applied online, contacted in about a week had a phone interview

Interview Questions
    • not too difficult, needed to know what the job entailed.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. Crew.

Applied in person. Filled out paper application and attached resume. It took a couple weeks to get the interview process started but the interview was very relaxed and felt more like a conversation.

Squad Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at J. Crew in April 2013.

The interview process was relatively painless. I met with a few different recruiters and didn't have to wait very long to hear back from them.

Interview Questions
    • What would you as a consumer change about the company?   Answer Question
    There was not much room for negotiation