J. Crew

Updated Dec 17, 2014
Updated Dec 17, 2014

2.3

Supervisor Interview

Interview was good - easy but aimed directly at pulling in the best.

2014 Merchandising Planner Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. Crew.

Applied online, contacted in about a week had a phone interview

Interview Questions
    • not too difficult, needed to know what the job entailed.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. Crew in April 2014.

For Jcrew and Madewell you have to apply in person, so I asked the sales associate if they were hiring and she directed me to a manager at the register who had me fill out an application. She looked it over and scheduled an interview with me for the next day. The interview was pretty standard. Be sure to dress in Jcrew's style (preppy, layered, etc.) and they really value knowledge of their products and any interest you have in fashion.

No negotiations.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at J. Crew in April 2014.

Was shopping in store with a friend and asked if they had any openings. They handed me an app and I was introduced to the hiring manager who arrange an interview for the next day. Gave them my app during my interview and they asked me to describe my previous work experience (no previous experience in retail) and a few questions. They mostly stressed 'Why J. Crew?', but nothing out of the ordinary. They really seemed to want to get a sense of the person and how they would work in their store. The only question that caught me off guard was 'Describe yourself in two words.' Filled out paperwork for a background check and was told that it would take up to a week to hear back because of the background check being a little slow. Heard back today (so a total of about 4 or 5 days for the whole process) and I accepted!

Interview Questions
    Did not negotiate as I had no previous retail experience and I was offered more than I was expecting.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

I applied in-person – interviewed at J. Crew in April 2014.

Went in for an application and spoke with one of the managers. Another manager called me 10 minutes later scheduling an interview for the next day. The interview went well. Simple questions. Nothing unexpected. I was told that I would find out the results in 3-5 days. A week later I hadn't heard anything so I called to follow up and they told me they would let me know by the end of the week. About a month later I received a letter in the mail saying that they weren't going to hire me.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. Crew.

Applied in person. Filled out paper application and attached resume. It took a couple weeks to get the interview process started but the interview was very relaxed and felt more like a conversation.

Personal Shopper Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. Crew.

There was 2 separate interviews in store done by different managers and then a phone call to let me know I received the Job.

Interview Questions
    I requested a certain hourly rate and it was accepted and I also received commission on top of that for every sale.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. Crew in March 2014.

On the day of your interview you talk to the hiring assistant who stand at the door and they'll tell you to wait up stairs until your interview time is up or until the person before you is done with their interview. When you finally get to your interview the hiring manager at the time will ask you things like "what brings you to J.Crew?" and based on your job experience they'll ask you "how that ties into j.crew?" "What's you thought on customer relations? "If a customer came in and didn't know what they wanted to buy how would you get them to leave with something?" "What interest you in fashion?" "What is the j.crew aesthetic and what draws you to it?" "Explain your outfit choice" after they're done with the interview they'll send you a letter in a bout 3 days to tell you if you have another interview or not.

Interview Questions
    • At the end they might ask you where you're heading so they can get a feel of the demographic you hang around to see if they're the right kind of people that you might bring to the store.   View Answer

Visual Merchandiser Interview

The process takes a little while to complete. First you meet with the store director. Next you meet with the market director. The final interview is with the regional director.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I dropped off an application and a recommendation letter (Just turned 18, so the more the better for me!), and got a call for an interview within the next couple of days. I was hired on the spot. Very easy interview, not many questions asked.

none due to my age