J. Crew

197 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Personal Shopper Interview

Personal Shopper

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview Details – There was 2 separate interviews in store done by different managers and then a phone call to let me know I received the Job.

Interview Question – It was a pretty comfortable and easy process.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I requested a certain hourly rate and it was accepted and I also received commission on top of that for every sale.

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Visual Merchandiser

Interviewed at J. Crew

Interview Details – The process takes a little while to complete. First you meet with the store director. Next you meet with the market director. The final interview is with the regional director.

Washington, DC

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview Details – Came from another retail store, group interview then personal interview then salary negotiations and done

Interview Question – How would you deal with an irate customer   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Almost no room to negotiate

Very Easy Interview

New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at J. Crew in February 2014.

Interview Details – I went to the store with my resume and cover letter and was given an application to fill out. I returned it like 5 minutes before the store closed and the manager looked over it pretty quickly and said, 'okay this is great, you have retail experience, so-and-so will give you a call on Wednesday'. I was skeptical but sure enough, I got a call on Wednesday to come in for an interview the following week. The initial interview with an HR associate was pretty short, only two real questions ('tell me about yourself' and 'why J. Crew?' and just chit chat about retail/availability for the rest). The next day she e-mailed to schedule an interview with the store manager, also the next week. That interview was short as well and included the two questions from before. Was told I'd hear back within the week by either phone or e-mail, which meant they would offer me the position, or by mail, which meant they wouldn't pursue at this time but keep my resume on file for one year. I just got the letter in the mail.

Interview Questions

Sales Support Interview

Sales Support
Houston, TX

I applied online - interviewed at J. Crew in March 2013.

Interview Details – Found about new store hiring via Craigslist. Was e-mailed by store manager and had an interview the next day. Was offered position at the end of the interview.

Interview Question – Why would you like to work at J.Crew?   Answer Question

Sterling Heights, MI

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. Crew in June 2010.

Interview Details – The interview was fairly basic, nothing too out of the ordinary. The interview occurred over the phone, which of course took some of the pressure off. The interviewee was actually the store manager, and she asked me a series of questions. The questions were a mix between being more personal (about my traits and attributes), along with a few questions about the company (who you believed their main competitors were, etc).

Interview Question – What was the nicest thing you've ever done for anyone?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation phase. I accepted the job once I found out I was hired.

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview Details – Went into the store and filled out an application. Returned for an interview with the hiring manager. After that I was interviewed by the Store Director the same day. About a week after my interview I was called that I'd received the position.

Interview Questions

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager
Westport, CT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at J. Crew in September 2012.

Interview Details – Interviewed by two store managers first interview. Then District Manager. It was done in a formal way. Wear their clothes if possible. Make sure you dress in a business manner. This company if more formal then many competitors. My experience was that the managers doing the hiring were sincere and made the interview very relaxed but business like. So be relaxed and dress the part. That is most of the battle. But be honest as well.

Interview Question – How do you dress in everyday clothes everyday.   View Answer

Visual Associate Interview

Visual Associate

Interviewed at J. Crew

Interview Details – Two interviews with 2 different managers; mostly just asked background, education/prior work experience, etc.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary, just show up in J.Crew and you're set.   Answer Question

Interviewed at J. Crew

Interview Details – Very few questions. Just asked what I like on their website, then my availability.

Interview Question – What is your favorite merchandise?   Answer Question