J. Crew

Average Difficulty
201 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview Details – Applied in person. Filled out paper application and attached resume. It took a couple weeks to get the interview process started but the interview was very relaxed and felt more like a conversation.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for J.Crew?   Answer Question

Squad Associate Interview

Squad Associate
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at J. Crew in April 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process was relatively painless. I met with a few different recruiters and didn't have to wait very long to hear back from them.

Interview Question – What would you as a consumer change about the company?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was not much room for negotiation

Very Easy Interview

Charlotte, NC

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J. Crew in March 2014.

Interview Details – I dropped off an application and a recommendation letter (Just turned 18, so the more the better for me!), and got a call for an interview within the next couple of days. I was hired on the spot. Very easy interview, not many questions asked.

Interview Question – What experience have I had in other jobs.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none due to my age

Richmond, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at J. Crew in August 2011.

Interview Details – I filled out an application in the store and spoke to the manager. The manager called me later in the day to set up an interview. The interview was simple and pretty standard. We spoke about what I liked about the company, why I thought I would be a good fit, etc. They called me within the week to offer me the job starting at a base pay of 8.50 an hour.

Interview Question – The questions were not difficult. Just be honest and sincere. JCrew is a company that likes people.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate. I received a raise during my time with the company.

Personal Shopper Interview

Personal Shopper

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview Details – There was 2 separate interviews in store done by different managers and then a phone call to let me know I received the Job.

Interview Question – It was a pretty comfortable and easy process.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I requested a certain hourly rate and it was accepted and I also received commission on top of that for every sale.

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Visual Merchandiser

Interviewed at J. Crew

Interview Details – The process takes a little while to complete. First you meet with the store director. Next you meet with the market director. The final interview is with the regional director.

Washington, DC

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview Details – Came from another retail store, group interview then personal interview then salary negotiations and done

Interview Question – How would you deal with an irate customer   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Almost no room to negotiate

Very Easy Interview

New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at J. Crew in February 2014.

Interview Details – I went to the store with my resume and cover letter and was given an application to fill out. I returned it like 5 minutes before the store closed and the manager looked over it pretty quickly and said, 'okay this is great, you have retail experience, so-and-so will give you a call on Wednesday'. I was skeptical but sure enough, I got a call on Wednesday to come in for an interview the following week. The initial interview with an HR associate was pretty short, only two real questions ('tell me about yourself' and 'why J. Crew?' and just chit chat about retail/availability for the rest). The next day she e-mailed to schedule an interview with the store manager, also the next week. That interview was short as well and included the two questions from before. Was told I'd hear back within the week by either phone or e-mail, which meant they would offer me the position, or by mail, which meant they wouldn't pursue at this time but keep my resume on file for one year. I just got the letter in the mail.

Interview Questions

Sales Support Interview

Sales Support
Houston, TX

I applied online - interviewed at J. Crew in March 2013.

Interview Details – Found about new store hiring via Craigslist. Was e-mailed by store manager and had an interview the next day. Was offered position at the end of the interview.

Interview Question – Why would you like to work at J.Crew?   Answer Question

Sterling Heights, MI

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. Crew in June 2010.

Interview Details – The interview was fairly basic, nothing too out of the ordinary. The interview occurred over the phone, which of course took some of the pressure off. The interviewee was actually the store manager, and she asked me a series of questions. The questions were a mix between being more personal (about my traits and attributes), along with a few questions about the company (who you believed their main competitors were, etc).

Interview Question – What was the nicest thing you've ever done for anyone?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation phase. I accepted the job once I found out I was hired.