J. Crew

Updated Dec 17, 2014

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at J. Crew.

Came from another retail store, group interview then personal interview then salary negotiations and done

Interview Questions
    Almost no room to negotiate

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at J. Crew.

Went into the store and filled out an application. Returned for an interview with the hiring manager. After that I was interviewed by the Store Director the same day. About a week after my interview I was called that I'd received the position.

Visual Associate Interview

Two interviews with 2 different managers; mostly just asked background, education/prior work experience, etc.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary, just show up in J.Crew and you're set.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Very few questions. Just asked what I like on their website, then my availability.

no negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at J. Crew in February 2014.

I went to the store with my resume and cover letter and was given an application to fill out. I returned it like 5 minutes before the store closed and the manager looked over it pretty quickly and said, 'okay this is great, you have retail experience, so-and-so will give you a call on Wednesday'. I was skeptical but sure enough, I got a call on Wednesday to come in for an interview the following week. The initial interview with an HR associate was pretty short, only two real questions ('tell me about yourself' and 'why J. Crew?' and just chit chat about retail/availability for the rest). The next day she e-mailed to schedule an interview with the store manager, also the next week. That interview was short as well and included the two questions from before. Was told I'd hear back within the week by either phone or e-mail, which meant they would offer me the position, or by mail, which meant they wouldn't pursue at this time but keep my resume on file for one year. I just got the letter in the mail.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you faced adversity in the workplace?   View Answer
    • Who are our competitors?   View Answer

Associate Planner Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at J. Crew in February 2014.

Had a great phone interview with HR, the woman said she would pass my resume along to the planning department. Never heard from them again, even after emailing her twice.

Sales Support Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at J. Crew.

I went to the store and applied. I had a minute conversation with the manager. I wasn't really interested in a sales position, which seemed to be what they were currently hiring. Months later, I received a phone call & was asked to come in for an interview. The then manager asked me about my previous experience, what I made at my other retail job, where do I shop, and then what I would do if I saw a customer who seemed upset. After my response he made me an offer higher than my current job, and asked if I would prefer sales or sales support.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if you saw a customer who seemed upset?   Answer Question
    If you need to negotiate or finalize anything, act fast and be persistent! The managers are too busy to remember you or to call you back. You don't want to lose your opportunity because you waited too long!

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at J. Crew.

Three hour interview, met multiple people

Interview Questions
    • Nothing, they seemed to just want to find out if I worked well with their team   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

First, I filled out the generic application and handed it back to the store. Within a few days, I received a phone call asking to schedule an interview. The interview was casual and took place in the office of the store nearby me. The store manager conducted the interview and it was about 10-15 mins. She was very nice and friendly to me.

Interview Questions
    • She asked about my future aspirations at J. Crew and I wasn't sure what I wanted from it.   Answer Question

Inventory Control Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. Crew.

I applied online and was contacted by recruiters. I had a phone interview the following day, went into headquarters 3 days after that. I had a panel interview, individual interview, a math test, and interviewed with the CEO. It was a very busy day, but it was enjoyable that the process was so fats.

Interview Questions
    • Meeting with the CEO was definitely the most unexpected part.   Answer Question