J. Crew Keyholder Interview Questions

Updated Aug 17, 2015

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at J. Crew (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

Easy interview process even though I was nervous. Management was willing to give me a chance! I had two 1:1; one with the assistant store manager, then with the store director herself. I had to follow up though on the phone to see what was happening.

Interview Questions

• What is the J. Crew style? Walk me through your resume. Who are your fashion inspirations/where do you shop? Tell me about a time when you were in a difficult situation with people. How did you solve it?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for J. Crew

Keyholder Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview

initially recruited from another retailer by the store director. total of 5 interviews and process started and then disappeared. reappeared 5 months later. in person interview with store director(2), and phone interviews with the regional recruiter, district manager, and regional director before an offer was made by the store director.

Interview Questions

• would you give up your freelance personal consulting business if it was viewed as a conflict of interest?( this was a specific question tailored to my individual situation)   1 Answer

Negotiation

money is low and there are ranges for each job tier. try to get as close to the top of your tier as possible up front. bonuses are based on whole store performance, so there is no guarantee that bonus is forthcoming. there was not much room for negotiating in the lower management tier. I was able to land in the middle of the salary tier based on prior experience.

Keyholder Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview

I turned my application in the store and set up an initial interview with the store manager. She was very friendly and laid back but got pulled away a lot because there was only one other person working that day. Shortly after meeting with her, I set up a time to meet with the market manager, who was also very laid back and easy to talk to. When that interview was over, I was told that I would hear back in two weeks. About two weeks went by and I didn't hear anything so I called to get feedback and I got nothing but positive comments and was told I would get a call from his manager to do one more interview since there were a few people they were interviewing and they had a couple positions open in the area. I never got a call from his manager and when I emailed the store manager at the store I applied to, I never got a response. I was really disappointed that they didn't follow up with me because I thought they were all wonderful and I really like J.Crew as a company.

Interview Questions

• All the questions were to be expected, nothing challenging at all.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Ocean City, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at J. Crew (Ocean City, MD) in June 2013.

Interview

The interview process was very long yet very detail-oriented and organized. The process started with a phone interview with a recruiter. Next, an in-person interview with 2 Store Directors (the Store Director of the store that I was interviewing for, scheduled to open later that season and the Store Director for the closest J. Crew retailer to me). The next step was a phone interview with the District Manager. All 4 interviews were very detailed but the process was extremely organized. I knew what to expect from each step and when to expect the next part of the process. Upon clearing of a background check, the recruiter ended the process with an offer. I was very impressed by the overall process and how organized it was.

Interview Questions

• What qualities do you think that a great HR or training manager should possess?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase. I was offered the highest amount that was possible for that position along with full-time benefits and the perks of being a J. Crew employee. It was a perfect offer.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at J. Crew (Dallas, TX).

Interview

They took a long time to get back to me and when they finally did they were very unprofessional about it. I felt like there was this one big blind over myself and the interviewer. Nobody in the company would contact me except for my interviewer. I don't understand the big secrecy in their interviews. Why can't people ask me questions as fellow future co-workers?

Interview Questions

• They asked if I had any experience directing people to do things. If I had any issues telling people what to do. The stupidest question asked was; how well can you fold clothes? Really...what kind of question is that. What if I didn't have an arm or no arms does that mean that I would of been disqualified from the job for the lack of arms? What does me being a keyholder have to do with folding clothes? I understood that I had to fold clothes now and then but I didn't think it was going to be all the time because of other employees being too lazy to do their own work.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No there was not and I wish there would of been.