J. Crew Part Time Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Aug 21, 2015

2.4

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at J. Crew (Boston, MA).

Interview

20 minutes, pretty informal, I sat down with a manager and we talked for a while. She interviewed me and asked me if I had any questions, I had a few prepared. I asked about specific job duties, holiday schedules, informed her about an upcoming professional obligation at my full-time job to give her a heads up.

Interview Questions

• Why J. Crew?   1 Answer
  • Have you ever dealt with a less than ideal customer and how did you handle it?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for J. Crew

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at J. Crew (Colorado Springs, CO) in July 2015.

Interview

Paper Application with standard information, requires three professional references. In-person interview with Store Director after turning in the paper application and speaking with a store manager. It is wise to wear J.Crew clothing, reference the latest catalog for the companies current stylization as it changes from season to season.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in five years? Why J. Crew, other than the fashion? Describe a negative and positive experience you have had with a customer, how was it resolved?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Salary is granted based upon experience, obviously retail experience is desired, but customer service background and cash register experience should be emphasized.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boulder, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at J. Crew (Boulder, CO) in May 2015.

Interview

I applied online, and was asked to come into the store for an interview a week later. It was straight-forward and somewhat formal. I had two managers that interviewed me, and I was excited that I was wearing the same top as one of the women! They asked me mainly about fashion and the company, although a couple of the 'icebreaker' questions seemed to be more about my experience. I would absolutely recommend wearing as much J.Crew as you can without going overboard. The women certainly noted that I was wearing a shirt and necklace from this season and it was well-received. Also, wear high-heels. My interviewers had noted that there had been a couple women before me wearing flats and they hadn't viewed it as a positive. I'm thrilled to start working in a week!

Interview Questions

• How would you describe your personal style?   Answer Question
    • What differentiates J.Crew from other retailers?   Answer Question
    • What fashion blogs/websites/accounts/etc. do you follow?   Answer Question
    • Describe your experience with selling items at a higher price point.   Answer Question
    • What would you contribute to our store that no one else can?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alpharetta, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J. Crew (Alpharetta, GA) in March 2015.

Interview

The hiring process was very easy. It's not a 2 step process like most job (at least not for me). Because I worked for J.Crew before it was treated like a rehiring process so it didn't take too long. Their main concern is knowing that you have retail experience and can dress the part for J.Crew.

Interview Questions

• Are you good at selling women's clothing?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Howell, MI

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at J. Crew (Howell, MI) in March 2015.

Interview

I originally handed in my application when the manager was unavailable to speak with me at the moment, the associate manger took my application and asked me a few questions such as "why do I want to work at J. Crew?" Later that day the head manger called and apologized for not meeting me in person and said she would file for my background check that day. Two days later I called after not hearing anything and asked about my application process, the associate manger said that me background check had just came in today and that the head store manger would call me the following day to schedule a formal interview. After hearing nothing the following day I went into the store in person the next day and spoke to the store manger. She was very polite and kind, she gave me a formal interview in the office of the store that day and we discussed availability and pay and she told to to come in the upcoming Friday to finalize some paperwork and to find a start date.

Interview Questions

• Why do I want to work at J. Crew?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was given room to negotiate my wage, but I did not want to push my luck and seem demanding so I accepted J. Crews base wage which is $9.10 an hour which is much more than my states minimum wage. They were also very flexible about my hours given the fact that I am a full time student.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at J. Crew (Saint Louis, MO).

Interview

I went into a local store one day and asked the manager if I could fill out a job application. The application is very typical: education level, previous employment, background, etc. Then I was told that someone would get in touch with me the following week to set up an interview. That never happened. So I called the manager, and I set up an interview with the hiring manager. The interview was very informal. I wore business casual attire (all J. Crew) and answered very typical interview questions: how would I deal with an angry client, how would I handle a confrontation with a coworker, etc. I was told to expect a call within the week informing me of their decision, but one never came. I called the manager again. She was very nice, but told me no decision has been made. She called the next day informing me that I had the job. I was very proactive during this process: I called the manager to set up the interview and then again to find out my status. I believe this helped me land the job. When I worked there, we had a lot of people come in and fill out applications, so I think it would be impossible to give them all interviews. So I think only the proactive applicants were able to land interviews and receive a job offer.

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took a week. I interviewed at J. Crew in October 2014.

Interview

An ad was listed on craigslist, I responded via email around ten in the evening and had heard back by the next morning to schedule an interview. Interview took place in a Starbucks over coffee with the local manager and a regional recruiter. I wore business casual attire, but nothing from J. Crew. It was laid-back, both interviewers were focused and easy to speak with. Typical HR questions such as "What is the best customer service experience you've had?", "What are some of your strengths?", "Have you dealt with disgruntled customers & how have you handled it?"

Interview Questions

• There were no difficult or surprising questions. Standard retail interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I asked for more than I expected from retail, and ended up acceoting $0.25 less than I asked (which was still more than I anticipated).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Texas City, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at J. Crew (Texas City, TX) in August 2014.

Interview

The interview was very basic, relaxed, and laid back. The person interviewing me seemed very casual and didn't ask any difficult questions. She told me upfront that J. Crew hires people not necessarily according to experience, but personality. After the interview, they called me a week later with the job offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time where you had to turn a bad situation into a good outcome.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at J. Crew (New York, NY) in August 2014.

Interview

there were two interviews. the first went smoothly with the store director. after meeting the regional manager, the second interview left me feeling extremely unsure about life and insignificant. however i still got the job. but overall it was a comfortable situation

Interview Questions

• how did you hear about the position? why do you think you'll do well here? whats your experience...   Answer Question

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview

I saw a posting outside of a new J. Crew store to open in my city and sent in a resume to the email address. I was contacted back within a few days to schedule an interview. I went in for an interview that was mostly fit--asked me about who I was, what my interests were, why J. Crew, what my favorite style was, what was my personal style, my greatest strengths and weaknesses, all pretty straightforward and what you would expect from a reasonable fit interview. My employer called me back within a few days to give me the offer but said that the background check needed to formally go through before he could extend the official offer. The background check came back clean, I was extended the offer, and went to training and work fairly shortly afterwards.