J. Crew

Average Difficulty
100 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Hackensack, NJ

I interviewed at J. Crew in May 2013.

Interview Details – Pros – The discount is great! 50% off all sale items that end in .99
Depending on what store you are at the hours may not be that bad
The managment was relaxed but strict when they needed to be

Cons – You need to have pateinces to deal with the clients that come into the store
Many will mess up a pile of freshly folded clothes that you have to go back and continue to fix

Interview Question – compare jcrew to other retailers.   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J. Crew in June 2014.

Interview Details – First thing, you have to go into the store and ask for an application. The Store Manager will give a quick interview you on the spot, but their question will most likely be " Why do you want to work at Jcrew?

About a week later, I received a call about coming in for an interview, and while I got that information, the manager interviewed me over the phone. I came into the store two days later and interviewed again with the store manager and the HR rep. a few days later, I got the call about them extending the job offer.

Interview Question – Most questions are customer service based, so you have to answer anything related to " going above and beyond for the customers"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No-negotiation

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J. Crew in May 2014.

Interview Details – It was a group interview, about 5 people. The store manager was very nice. No difficult question. But I'm not a native speaker. I think that's why I didn't get the job.

Interview Question – If you saw someone steal   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Jacksonville, FL

I applied in-person - interviewed at J. Crew in April 2014.

Interview Details – Went in for an application and spoke with one of the managers. Another manager called me 10 minutes later scheduling an interview for the next day. The interview went well. Simple questions. Nothing unexpected. I was told that I would find out the results in 3-5 days. A week later I hadn't heard anything so I called to follow up and they told me they would let me know by the end of the week. About a month later I received a letter in the mail saying that they weren't going to hire me.

Interview Question – What would you do if you saw someone stealing?   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview Details – It was fine, I came in asked for a application, they gave me one and I filled it out. Then I turned it into the manager and chatted with her for a while. I got a call back a couple days later, for an interview the next day. The interview was fine, really nice managers. Was called again like 2-4 days later, for an on boarding. Although, I have a feeling they could have withdrawn the offer if they didn't like the second meeting.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions posed to me.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It was my first job in retail so I didn't think it was appropriate.

New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J. Crew in March 2014.

Interview Details – On the day of your interview you talk to the hiring assistant who stand at the door and they'll tell you to wait up stairs until your interview time is up or until the person before you is done with their interview. When you finally get to your interview the hiring manager at the time will ask you things like "what brings you to J.Crew?" and based on your job experience they'll ask you "how that ties into j.crew?" "What's you thought on customer relations? "If a customer came in and didn't know what they wanted to buy how would you get them to leave with something?" "What interest you in fashion?" "What is the j.crew aesthetic and what draws you to it?" "Explain your outfit choice" after they're done with the interview they'll send you a letter in a bout 3 days to tell you if you have another interview or not.

Interview Question – At the end they might ask you where you're heading so they can get a feel of the demographic you hang around to see if they're the right kind of people that you might bring to the store.   View Answer

Wrentham, MA

Interviewed at J. Crew

Interview Details – A friend that was working at the outlets brought me to help the store with their floorset, and I was hired on the spot. Once you get hired at one store (regardless if it is the outlet or even Madewell) you can transfer to any other store you want.

Interview Question – I did not have to have an interview for this position   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J. Crew in April 2014.

Interview Details – For Jcrew and Madewell you have to apply in person, so I asked the sales associate if they were hiring and she directed me to a manager at the register who had me fill out an application. She looked it over and scheduled an interview with me for the next day. The interview was pretty standard. Be sure to dress in Jcrew's style (preppy, layered, etc.) and they really value knowledge of their products and any interest you have in fashion.

Interview Question – Describe Jcrew's stye in one word   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations.

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at J. Crew in April 2014.

Interview Details – Was shopping in store with a friend and asked if they had any openings. They handed me an app and I was introduced to the hiring manager who arrange an interview for the next day. Gave them my app during my interview and they asked me to describe my previous work experience (no previous experience in retail) and a few questions. They mostly stressed 'Why J. Crew?', but nothing out of the ordinary. They really seemed to want to get a sense of the person and how they would work in their store. The only question that caught me off guard was 'Describe yourself in two words.' Filled out paperwork for a background check and was told that it would take up to a week to hear back because of the background check being a little slow. Heard back today (so a total of about 4 or 5 days for the whole process) and I accepted!

Interview Question – Describe yourself in two words.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate as I had no previous retail experience and I was offered more than I was expecting.

Durham, NC

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview Details – I delivered my application in store and asked to speak with a manager. I had a quick talk with the manager and scheduled another appointment to have an interview with the other manager.

Interview Question – What makes you qualified to work here.   Answer Question

Worked for J. Crew? Contribute to the Community!