J. Crew Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jun 26, 2015

2.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. Crew (Seattle, WA).

Interview

I applied in-store with the application that they give out. I was called in for a first-round interview with a manager and then a second round interview with another manager. The questions were typical retail-related behavioral questions. Overall, the interview process was fairly casual.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for J. Crew

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Hartford, CT

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. Crew (West Hartford, CT).

Interview

J. Crew contacted me one week after I applied in store. The interview was brief. As long as you are strong about customer service, well spoken and well dressed with a positive attitude, it'll be great. It was quick and on time, so arriving early is best.

Interview Questions

• Name a past customer service experience (good and bad) and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Vegas, NV

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at J. Crew (Las Vegas, NV).

Interview

I dropped off my resume, and I followed up. They called me in for an interview with the Store Manager and the two other managers. I came in and they showed me around the store, then we walked out of the store down to a table outside a coffee shop and began the interview. They asked my my previous retail experience and why I wanted to work for their company. They also asked me what I can offer to them. After asking questions, they wanted to get to know me and get to know my hobbies. They wanted to know what I liked to do and if there was anything that I was committed to that would hinder my job performance.

Interview Questions

• What were my accomplishments in sales in my previous job?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview

Got hired on the spot at a Job Fair. Submitted my application then the manager asked me a few questions, "why do you want to work here?", "what do you do during your free time?", "do you have customer service experience?". Easy questions, took 8 minutes, then finally told me I got the job. Signed paperwork afterwards.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at J. Crew.

Interview

It was a group interview, lots of people. You really had to make sure you stood out from the group. Made weeding out less friendly, quiet people easy. A little weird only because the interview was around other customers.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cypress, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at J. Crew (Cypress, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

Turned in application at store, received phone call for interview week after, interview the next week with store manager, hired on the spot, started working after the background check cleared. (No drug testing)

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had to be a leader in a situation?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview

Manager went over my resume and asked about my past experiences with customers. Gave me situational questions about customer experiences to see how I would respond. Also asked where I get my style/fashion inspiration. Overall pretty easy interview just to gauge how well you can work with customers and sell product (somewhat commission based job)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greensboro, NC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at J. Crew (Greensboro, NC) in March 2015.

Interview

I went in the store to shop one day and as I was checking out I was having a conversation with the lady and she was saying they needed help in the store. I took an application home and filled it out, which took about 30 minutes, and brought it back into the store three days later. The manager that I handed my application to asked if I knew anything about the brand right when I gave him my application. He then said that he would call to set up an interview. I got the call three days later and I went in the next day. The interview only lasted around fifteen minutes and the questions were fairly simple. He told me they would be in touch within the next few days. The day after I got a call to set up a phone interview with a manager from another store. I did the phone interview the next day. It lasted about fifteen minutes as well but had more questions. At the end of the call he said he would let the store manager that interviewed me that he was okay with me. I heard from the store manager two days later (when my background check had came in) and was hired. I go in tomorrow to try on all of the clothes to understand the fit and materials. The process was a little lengthy for a sales associate position but I understand they only want serious people working for them.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at J.Crew? What led you here?Asked about previous work experience that related to the sales associate position.   Answer Question
    • What was a time that you experienced positive customer service while shopping? What made it positive? How did the people working make you feel while you were there?   Answer Question
    • Where do you get your fashion inspiration? How do you keep up with the latest trends in fashion?   Answer Question
    • How would the people at your last job describe you? When was a time that you gave good customer service and made the customer happy? Have you ever had to deal with a difficult customer and what did you do about it? Did you have to deal with product knowledge in your previous jobs?   Answer Question
    • Who are J.Crew's biggest competitors and why?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview

I applied in store during the holiday season so it was a bit hectic. Was given an interview on the spot by the manager. They liked me and had me fill out a background check that same day. I was told they'd follow up with me once my background check cleared. As I said before, I applied two weeks before Christmas so it was busy for them and the total hiring process took about 2 months. I followed up with them every two weeks just to show interest in the position and was called in once the season was over. For the initial walk in I wore a fitted Oxford button down shirt, colored chinos and leather boots. I was offered the position and I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Previous experience, any experience in retail? What do you know about the brand? What days would you be available to work?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview

The process took about a week. I was called to come in for an interview and it was a group interview with one of the girl in myself. It was cool because I never been in a group interview before and I found it to be interesting.

Interview Questions

• Who are J.Crew competitors?
      What amazes J.Crew different from other places

Answer Question