J. Crew Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jul 30, 2014

2.2

104 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. Crew in June 2014.

I applied to J.Crew by calling the stores directly at first. I was then told that i would have to come in and apply by getting paperwork in-store. Took me a good 30 minutes to complete the application. I was given a call about 2 weeks later to set up a interview. The interview was group based. Questions were very general pertaining to the work environment and how one would react in a situation.

Other Interview Reviews for J. Crew

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at J. Crew in June 2013.

Went into the factory store and overheard the store director talking about a need for employees to work in the men's section, so I asked for an application. Filled it out, brought it back in, and the store director set up an interview right then. Came back for my interview on a Friday, and it was nothing extremely difficult. A good bit of personal questions. He told me once the interview was finished that I should hear from him by Monday if I got the job or not. Monday came and no call, so I waited until Tuesday and called the store and the store director finally told me that I was hired.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation that didn't go exactly as planned, but you made work despite the issues.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Manchester, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, CT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at J. Crew in May 2010.

I was referred by a friend so the actual hiring process was expedited for me. Because I had a strong resume the interview seemed more about ensuring I was a good fit (i.e. personable, well-spoken, polished, etc.)

Interview Questions
    • Nothing too difficult or unexpected, it was a fairly easy and straightforward interview.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. Crew in June 2014.

I applied through the store and filled out the paper application. After a week I received a call to have an interview in the store. The interview was with one of the store managers and it was very casual and informal. Some of the questions that were asked were: how would describe Jcrews style? what stores do you buy your clothes at? who would you say Jcrews competitors are? where do you get your fashion inspiration from?

Interview Questions
    • The questions were very straight forward and easy to answer.   Answer Question

My work load for school became to heavy.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hackensack, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hackensack, NJ

interviewed at J. Crew in May 2013.

Pros – The discount is great! 50% off all sale items that end in .99
    Depending on what store you are at the hours may not be that bad
    The managment was relaxed but strict when they needed to be

Cons – You need to have pateinces to deal with the clients that come into the store
    Many will mess up a pile of freshly folded clothes that you have to go back and continue to fix

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at J. Crew in June 2014.

First thing, you have to go into the store and ask for an application. The Store Manager will give a quick interview you on the spot, but their question will most likely be " Why do you want to work at Jcrew?

About a week later, I received a call about coming in for an interview, and while I got that information, the manager interviewed me over the phone. I came into the store two days later and interviewed again with the store manager and the HR rep. a few days later, I got the call about them extending the job offer.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions are customer service based, so you have to answer anything related to " going above and beyond for the customers"   Answer Question
    No-negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at J. Crew in May 2014.

It was a group interview, about 5 people. The store manager was very nice. No difficult question. But I'm not a native speaker. I think that's why I didn't get the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

I applied in-person - interviewed at J. Crew in April 2014.

Went in for an application and spoke with one of the managers. Another manager called me 10 minutes later scheduling an interview for the next day. The interview went well. Simple questions. Nothing unexpected. I was told that I would find out the results in 3-5 days. A week later I hadn't heard anything so I called to follow up and they told me they would let me know by the end of the week. About a month later I received a letter in the mail saying that they weren't going to hire me.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at J. Crew.

It was fine, I came in asked for a application, they gave me one and I filled it out. Then I turned it into the manager and chatted with her for a while. I got a call back a couple days later, for an interview the next day. The interview was fine, really nice managers. Was called again like 2-4 days later, for an on boarding. Although, I have a feeling they could have withdrawn the offer if they didn't like the second meeting.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions posed to me.   View Answer
    It was my first job in retail so I didn't think it was appropriate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at J. Crew in March 2014.

On the day of your interview you talk to the hiring assistant who stand at the door and they'll tell you to wait up stairs until your interview time is up or until the person before you is done with their interview. When you finally get to your interview the hiring manager at the time will ask you things like "what brings you to J.Crew?" and based on your job experience they'll ask you "how that ties into j.crew?" "What's you thought on customer relations? "If a customer came in and didn't know what they wanted to buy how would you get them to leave with something?" "What interest you in fashion?" "What is the j.crew aesthetic and what draws you to it?" "Explain your outfit choice" after they're done with the interview they'll send you a letter in a bout 3 days to tell you if you have another interview or not.

Interview Questions
    • At the end they might ask you where you're heading so they can get a feel of the demographic you hang around to see if they're the right kind of people that you might bring to the store.   View Answer

Worked for J. Crew? Contribute to the Community!