J. Crew

Getting the Interview

91 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Durham, NC

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview Details – I delivered my application in store and asked to speak with a manager. I had a quick talk with the manager and scheduled another appointment to have an interview with the other manager.

Interview Question – What makes you qualified to work here.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview Details – When you apply you have to come to the store, no online applications for sales associates, although managerial positions are online. Once you return to the store and turn it in they run a back round check. I was asked only one question. The whole process took about 8 business days because the back round checks take a few days to a week, mine was the latter.

Interview Question – "Why do you want to work for J. Crew?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, was happy as is.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview Details – Applied in person. Filled out paper application and attached resume. It took a couple weeks to get the interview process started but the interview was very relaxed and felt more like a conversation.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for J.Crew?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Charlotte, NC

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J. Crew in March 2014.

Interview Details – I dropped off an application and a recommendation letter (Just turned 18, so the more the better for me!), and got a call for an interview within the next couple of days. I was hired on the spot. Very easy interview, not many questions asked.

Interview Question – What experience have I had in other jobs.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none due to my age

Richmond, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at J. Crew in August 2011.

Interview Details – I filled out an application in the store and spoke to the manager. The manager called me later in the day to set up an interview. The interview was simple and pretty standard. We spoke about what I liked about the company, why I thought I would be a good fit, etc. They called me within the week to offer me the job starting at a base pay of 8.50 an hour.

Interview Question – The questions were not difficult. Just be honest and sincere. JCrew is a company that likes people.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate. I received a raise during my time with the company.

Washington, DC

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview Details – Came from another retail store, group interview then personal interview then salary negotiations and done

Interview Question – How would you deal with an irate customer   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Almost no room to negotiate

Very Easy Interview

New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at J. Crew in February 2014.

Interview Details – I went to the store with my resume and cover letter and was given an application to fill out. I returned it like 5 minutes before the store closed and the manager looked over it pretty quickly and said, 'okay this is great, you have retail experience, so-and-so will give you a call on Wednesday'. I was skeptical but sure enough, I got a call on Wednesday to come in for an interview the following week. The initial interview with an HR associate was pretty short, only two real questions ('tell me about yourself' and 'why J. Crew?' and just chit chat about retail/availability for the rest). The next day she e-mailed to schedule an interview with the store manager, also the next week. That interview was short as well and included the two questions from before. Was told I'd hear back within the week by either phone or e-mail, which meant they would offer me the position, or by mail, which meant they wouldn't pursue at this time but keep my resume on file for one year. I just got the letter in the mail.

Interview Questions

Sterling Heights, MI

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. Crew in June 2010.

Interview Details – The interview was fairly basic, nothing too out of the ordinary. The interview occurred over the phone, which of course took some of the pressure off. The interviewee was actually the store manager, and she asked me a series of questions. The questions were a mix between being more personal (about my traits and attributes), along with a few questions about the company (who you believed their main competitors were, etc).

Interview Question – What was the nicest thing you've ever done for anyone?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation phase. I accepted the job once I found out I was hired.

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview Details – Went into the store and filled out an application. Returned for an interview with the hiring manager. After that I was interviewed by the Store Director the same day. About a week after my interview I was called that I'd received the position.

Interview Questions

Interviewed at J. Crew

Interview Details – Very few questions. Just asked what I like on their website, then my availability.

Interview Question – What is your favorite merchandise?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Interviews for Top Jobs at J. Crew

Worked for J. Crew? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at J. Crew Sales Associate interview questions and advice. All 91 interview reviews posted anonymously by J. Crew employees and interview candidates.