J. Crew

Getting the Interview

13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Houston, TX

I applied online - interviewed at J. Crew in March 2013.

Interview Details – Found about new store hiring via Craigslist. Was e-mailed by store manager and had an interview the next day. Was offered position at the end of the interview.

Interview Question – Why would you like to work at J.Crew?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Seattle, WA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J. Crew in September 2012.

Interview Details – Interview was nice, simple and easy. I came out a review, so the questions were easier but still made me think. Hiring process was easy, though the training video a bit dull. We sat at a table in the mall, joked around a lot and had a general easy and good time with the manager. He hired me on the spot and came in a few days later to fill out paperwork.

Interview Question – What was your most difficult experience with a customer, explain how you handled it and if applicable what you could have done better.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Make sure your job description is clear, if possible in writing.

Sales Support

I applied in-person - interviewed at J. Crew in October 2010.

Interview Details – My interview was unusual since the head of store at that time was my old head of store at previous big store experience. I was her right hand man in management team. She called me and said she had a position that I would be perfect for. That was it.

Interview Question – Hours and availability.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – wasn't one

Berkeley, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at J. Crew in October 2012.

Interview Details – Walked into the store and talked to the person at the register. I filled out the application right there; he asked me why I chose J. Crew over the other stores around. After a few questions we parted ways. Looked at how I was dressed, haha. About two days afterwards I got a call from the hiring manager for an interview 3 days later on friday. The same week. We sat down somewhere outside and talked. Why J. Crew again. A Good/Bad customer service experience that I had. What about J. Crew that I like and what makes it stand out. I received a call monday asking for an interview with the store director the next friday. Again, we went somewhere we can sit down. Asked the same question and how I would handle a disappointed customer. Pretty straight forward. Went good, had some laughs. Said they would contact me somewhere between monday- wednesday. Got a call wednesday offering me the job. Really straightforward.

Interview Question – Why and how does J. Crew stand out from stores such as Banana Republic?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Call from the hiring manager and gave me the base pay of $9.00/hr. Would move up from there through experience.

San Jose, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J. Crew in November 2011.

Interview Details – Interviewed in a group of 2 candidates. The interview itself was very short and quick, about 20 minutes. First interview was led by the hiring manager and she was very nice and friendly. We were interviewed outside the store. She asked us basic questions about previous experience, how we define customer service, describe a time where we received great customer service. She also asked us about our fashion style, inspirations, and if we follow fashion blogs, and to name a few. Second interview with the store manager was pretty much the same.

Interview Question – How do you describe J crew?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at J. Crew in November 2010.

Interview Details – I saw an ad calling for seasonal sales associates at JCrew in New York City. I went to an open call in their Columbus Circle location, bringing my resume with me. I was told to fill out an application in the upstairs waiting area (also known as the shoe section) and waited to meet with the busy store manager. She asked me a few simple questions and scheduled me to meet with the HR manager 2 days later.

Interview Question – What makes you think you can and want to work at J.Crew?   Answer Question

New York, NY

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J. Crew in August 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewed for a sales support position. Appearing in the "J.Crew aesthetic" and being outgoing, bubbly, and truly passionate about the brand is really what they seemed to be looking for.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate up a couple dollars from the original offer. The amount still isn't much. I would try to negotiate up no matter what. Most positions are offered with a little room to move around in.

Minneapolis, MN

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at J. Crew in November 2009.

Interview Details – I had an interview and was asked further about my submitted application and resume. Upon completing the interview, I was hired on the spot.

Interview Question – Describe a situation in which a customer was not satisfied with the store's services and how you would handle the situation.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes and no. The application has a space for one to request a certain salary range (paid hourly for part-time). I assume that they go off of this request as well as retail experience.

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at J. Crew in September 2012.

Interview Details – Group interview with about 10 people. Fun experience with style guide and water provided. Conversational setting, speak when you wanted to. Lots of standard questions like what was a tricky customer service situation you had to deal with, why do you want to work at j crew etc

Sales Support

I applied in-person and interviewed at J. Crew.

Interview Details – Why Jcrew?

Interview Question – Please try to be as detailed as possible regarding the technical question, business case, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate but didn't know how to so I accepted what they offered.

Interviews for Top Jobs at J. Crew

Worked for J. Crew? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at J. Crew Sales Support interview questions and advice. All 13 interview reviews posted anonymously by J. Crew employees and interview candidates.