J.D. Irving

Updated Aug 17, 2014
Updated Aug 17, 2014

2.8

Sales Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at J.D. Irving.

4 interviews of between 30 minutes - 1 hr each. The first one was about my experience in my field. The branch manager unfortunately didn't know anything about my field, he was the manager of a branch that sold in 5 divisions and mine was completely foreign to him. The second one was a series of IQ tests, competency tests and speed/intelligence tests.
    The 3rd one was with the division manager. Very intelligent person, and very much to the point, almost intimidating, however lots of insight on what I was going to be doing in my role.
    4th one was with the general manager. He was basically giving the thumbs down or thumbs up.

Interview Questions
    • 10 yrs in my industry, didn't have a question I wasn't expecting.   Answer Question

Programmer Interview

very smooth process. interview is through video call. a web screen with camera is required. interview normally with 3 people. one HR, one manager and one senior programmer. They are very nice and not very picky about questions. prepare to answer question about your previous projects achievement etc.

Interview Questions
    • 1. tell me about yourself
      2. what do you know about our company
      3. what do you see yourself in next 5 years

Answer Question

Machine Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at J.D. Irving in July 2013.

Not hired. No feedback why. 2 months process: 3 tests, informal hr interview, 3 managers interview, criminal, medical and anti drug screening, employer references, waited for a second interview 3 weeks only to be told I am not a good candidate.
    My former employer closed down and they had nothing but the best to say about my work ethic and reliability.

Interview Questions
    • Not sure if one should reveal they have a part time job. Management may not be open to candidates who work already even if it is a part time job. I recently landed a part time job to help me pay the bills until I find full time. Now I am wondering if I should have revealed.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Co-op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint John, NB (Canada)

I applied through other source. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at J.D. Irving in April 2013.

The interview process was quite like everywhere else. There was a brief phone interview followed by an interview with your manager, director, and HR representative. The would ask your typical questions. they make you write the wonderlik test as well as behavioural and personality questionnaire. The results help further determine your suitability. There is a drug test that they will give you, be forewarned the company is extremely conservative.

Systems Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at J.D. Irving in December 2011.

First phone interview than called in for 1:1

Interview Questions
    • Provide an example when you had to conform to a policy with which you did not agree.   Answer Question

Dispatcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint John, NB (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at J.D. Irving in May 2011.

My neighbor sent my resume to a few different channels in the company and I received a call from one of the trucking divisions. Before going in for the interview I had to complete an on-line personality test at home. The interview itself was very informal - between an HR rep and the Manager. They basically just asked me to walk them through my resume and they asked a few simple questions. They did not ask any of the typical behavioural questions that I am accustomed to. At the end of the process, the HR person had me alone in a room and asked me to complete their aptitude test (Wonderlic). The test had more questions than I could complete, but she instructed that I would only be graded on the ones I finished. You can practice some of these Wonderlic tests on-line. Two weeks later, I was called in to talk to the General Manager. That went really well and he made me feel like they had a position for me. I should mention that this whole time, they were only speculating on opening a new dispatcher job. A week after that meeting, I was called in for a third meeting with the General Manager and HR and they basicially told me all of the benefits and salary range of $35,000 to 50,000, and two weeks vacation. I was told to go home and think about it. I counteroffered with some extra vacation time and asked for $52,000. After not hearing back from HR in over a week, I called and she basically told me that I must have misunderstood ... there was no job and no job offer. Shocking! I was told that they decided to downgrade the position to a an Admin job. This was a very disappointing and confusing process. I have talked to several other people who had similiar experiences with Irving. My advice is to not feel too confortable until you have a written letter of offer.

Interview Questions
    • There were no questions that stood out as difficult or unexpected.   View Answer