J D Wetherspoon

Updated Jan 14, 2015
Updated Jan 14, 2015

2.6

Team Leader Interview

I applied through other source – interviewed at J D Wetherspoon.

Email to pub manager to say I was interested in the role. Why I am interested and what would make me a job team leader. Gave examples of how I integrated into the team, people ask me questions, have my respect. Lead by example etc. Gave brief overview of my employment history and the skills that I gained from the jobs. Followed by a F2F interview. Lots of questions about customer service, teamwork, training, expectations, how are you going to alter from bar associate to team leader, gain trust from team etc.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you think it is important to be kitchen trained - unexpected.
      Helps you understand the kitchen, what it can ad more importantly CAN NOT do. So you can help in the kitchen if needed.

Answer Question

Kitchen Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brigg, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brigg, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at J D Wetherspoon in December 2014.

Went online to apply where I had to enter lots of information about my previous experience in hospitality and other relevant information. I then had to complete four online tests; Numeracy, Literacy, Situation Questionnaire and a Personality Questionnaire. After this I received an email which confirmed that they had received my application and that if I don't hear from them within 14 days then the application was unsuccessful. I received an email 5 days later inviting me for an interview in 4 days. The evening of the day after the interview I received a phone call saying that I had got the job and that I was to attend a documentation interview in 5 days time.

Interview Questions
    • When has working as a team been most satisfying?   View Answer
    • What qualities do you have which are relevant to the job role?   View Answer
    • What do you know about JD Wetherspoons   View Answer
    There was negotiation but they asked what size uniform I would require as they are currently organising ordering the uniform for all staff

Bar Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J D Wetherspoon in November 2014.

I applied online and took an online questionnaire. The questions were relatively basic and involved personality questions and multiple choice questions. E.g what would you do if children were being too loud in the restaurant?

I was then called for an interview which I believe was quite informal. They asked me about previous experience and why I want to work at wetherspoons.

No negotiation, min wage

Bar Staff Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at J D Wetherspoon in November 2014.

Online application was easy, followed by a few online tests, again pretty easy, I applied on a saturday afternoon and had a phone call on sunday morning asking to come for an interview on the tuesday.

The interview was unlike any interviews I've read about for this company before, the manager seemed hostile towards me and sat with crossed arms, writing down everything I said. The interview was very structured, with the manager reading out questions and me answering as best I could. Despite being reassured that previous experience isn't necessary the manager seemed taken aback that I didn't have any experience.

Interview Questions
    • How many pubs does J D Wetherspoon run?
      What is the name of the CEO?
      What year was J D Wetherspoon founded as a company?

View Answer

Bar Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at J D Wetherspoon in October 2014.

online stages, had to fill out a questionnaire, very simple. Once that was completed I was asked to attend an interview which took place at the front of the pub on a normal table. I was told there and then I was successful and was informed to attend an "introduction day" which was filling out a booklet all day, 10-4. Didn't get to see around the pub, and one half an hour break. After this was done I started my first shift.

Interview Questions
    • "In your previous job explain to me a difficult situation you had to deal with"   Answer Question

Bar Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartlepool, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartlepool, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at J D Wetherspoon in October 2014.

I applied online and was invited to interview via email. I was asked questions about my previous experience and what I thought was good customer service. I was asked how I would feel about asking people for proof of age and working busy and late shifts. The interview only took about 15 minutes.

Kitchen Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leek, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leek, England (UK)

EASY! interview went very quickly as the interviewer said the interview sheet was rubbish. Went off topic a lot and just had a fun chat. They were easy questions and was not asked to answer any of the sanario questions as there was no point. very friendly relaxed environment with a free drink.

Interview Questions
    • why do you want to work here?
      what is your best quality?

Answer Question

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J D Wetherspoon.

Hiring is quite straight forward. Once you have secure an interview slot you are invited to an interview. The main theme is the role play where you are given data to analyse, remember and use during the interview. Depending on your performance you are either offered a position or not.

Interview Questions
    • Trying to memorise the relevant numbers and names to be able to answer due qustions more fluently.   View Answer
    No negotiation was possible at this stage as the role in question is too junior.

Bar Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Leeds, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J D Wetherspoon in August 2013.

Applied online, the first part was OK and pretty quick but the assessments (Customer Service and Maths) took me a lot longer. I was offered an interview pretty much straight away by email and was given a week to prepare. During the interview the woman seem quite off and distant and wasn't much interested in what I was saying. She took a few notes and then left me to find my own way out.

Interview Questions
    • Why are you interested in doing bar work and why specifically and J D Wetherspoon?   Answer Question

Felt the interview was rude and the staff were not that friendly.

Bar Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oxford, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at J D Wetherspoon in January 2013.

Online application followed by a face to face interview and a work trail. Asked questions about the companies history and was marked on how many times I smiled during the interview. Manager was quite unpleasant and made me feel uncomfortable.

Interview Questions
    • I am a customer and I have just finished a main meal how would you sell me a dessert?   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation.