J H Darbie &Co

Updated Jan 20, 2015
Updated Jan 20, 2015

2.8

Stockbroker Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at J H Darbie &Co.

They hire practically anyone as long as you show up in time looking appropriate, show interest in being a broker, and have minimum finance knowledge (down the road they actually do a great job training their interns, so I would say it is a very valuable experience for finance dummies); however, the environment is pretty intense and many interns/trainees quit within a short period of time.

Interview Questions
    • Multiple general market review questions.   View Answer

Stockbroker Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at J H Darbie &Co.

They will give you a Bs from to fill up to try and scar you, but they will take anybody that steps in.
    then they will take you to an old room and try and scare you with technical questions, i said anything that came through my head and they believed it/

Interview Questions
    • the guys working there are verry cluless about to market so they will ask you basic questions.   Answer Question

heard bad review, dont want to wast my time

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at J H Darbie &Co.

The interview began with a test including accounting, finance and analytical questions; then, you will talk with Arthur, the big boss. He seems nice. Arthur will ask you whether you've read Wall Street Journal or not. Then, he will ask you about the market. I did not get behavior questions.

Sales Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at J H Darbie &Co in August 2014.

Interview was a joke, this place is a total chop shop. Make you take a pointless paper test that they don't even look at when you first walk in. Talk about an unprofessional environment. The office is in shambles, there are boxes and trash all over the place. Then they take you back to a tiny storage area and spend the whole rest of the interview talking down to you and trying to intimidate you into taking their sweatshop-style unpaid internship. They don't even have working AC in this place! Nobody else on the Street even knows who these clowns are. Don't let the Wall Street address fool you, it almost fooled me.

Interview Questions
    • "How would you get out of a blender if you were shrunk and put inside of it?"   Answer Question

Broker Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at J H Darbie &Co in August 2014.

Had a pre-interview quiz full of brain teasers and questions that barely applied to finance. In the interview. Interviewers do not make the effort to remember your name after they called you to schedule this interview. They ask you simple finance questions in the interview and easy questions that you would face in any normal interview.

Interview Questions
    • They make you sell them a random item they found in the room   Answer Question

Would not have liked the work atmosphere

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at J H Darbie &Co in July 2014.

I was first contacted regarding my internship application by phone. The recruiter asked me questions about my interest in the internship, what I saw myself doing, etc... I was invited to come in for an interview. The day of the interview, I was given an exam with an assortment of questions; the first part covered the basics of finance and the second part was more of a brain teaser. The interview was a group interview, and we were told what the internship would consist of and what to expect.

Interview Questions
    • Sell me an invisible pen. Tell me what you know about what's going on in the economy today.   Answer Question
    Because the internship is unpaid, this did not apply.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at J H Darbie &Co.

Very unethical and unprofessional interview process. Workers there posses a low level of intellect. Walked in, and they gave me a written exam for 30 minutes then interviewed me after that. Arthur is a guy who thinks he knows how to run a show. I was laughing inside myself during the entire interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Written Test: (30 min)
      4 pages long
      About 10 MC questions about calculating market cap given number of outstanding stock etc., t bonds, tax liability, real vs nominal interest, Dow theory

Extended response:
      -Square root of 2000?
      -Math problem about speed and distance
      -How many guesses to find a number from 1-1000 if your are told "higher or lower" each time you guess
      -How far is Russia from US?
      -How to cut cake into 8 pieces from three slices
      -Tell me about what happened in US in last 10 years
      -Tell me about your life from Kindergarten onwards
      -Would you accept NO from 7 out of 10 customers?
      -Whats your dream job and where?

In person interview:
      Why should we hire you?, What are your interests? Tell me one thing from the Wall Street Journal that effects the stock market? Pitch me a stock? Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Answer Question

This job is for people who have high work ethic, low level intellect and can be easily manipulated by higher management. They look for just that.

Intern Interview

The man was so rude and keep asking terms on the wall street.

Interviewee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at J H Darbie &Co in March 2013.

The interviewer tried to make this interview sound hard and the firm perfect, but there seem to be lies. The hiring process seemed shady and I believe what they wanted were unpaid slaves that do cold callings for them all day.

Interview Questions
    • They gave us a pop quiz and asked us whether we read WSJ.   View Answer

They seem to take anyone who shows up at their interviews and again the hiring process is shady.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at J H Darbie &Co in March 2013.

They ask questions to see if you know anything about the financial world. They try and figure out if you are a hard worker because the last thing they want to do is waste their time on someone who isn't willing to give it everything they have.

Interview Questions
    • Why should we choose you specifically for the internship program?   Answer Question
    No negotiation. Show up and be prepared to learn and work.