J.P. Morgan Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Mar 8, 2015

3.2

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in City of London, England (UK)

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at J.P. Morgan (City of London, England (UK)) in March 2011.

Interview

met with the Head of the Desk, ED and VP and VP of another desk
4h interview
why sales, why you
a lot of technical questions, went really in details, obviously if you choke on one question they will try to eff you up even more.

even though i didn't get the job, it helped a lot experience wise, i realised what i needed to work on and how they would actually conduct an interview of the kind.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for J.P. Morgan

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J.P. Morgan (Houston, TX) in January 2012.

Interview

Interview process is unbelievably long. Attended Quiz. Then I heard, it is going to be one interview and I will be done. Interview lasted for about exact 30 mins. Then they said, another interview, which supposed to last for 30mins, but took around55 mins. Back and forth, he asked questions. Then received an email saying they were impressed with 2 interviews. Got info that they want to do another 2 more interviews. I wanted the job. So, I said ok. I attended the 3rd interview. He was also drilling me like with lots of questions. He said, in another 30mins another person will be calling. He called and it was also the technical round. He was drilling me like anything. Told me to take a paper and pen and told me write down the commands. Whatever i answered, he argued for everything. Finally he got into my nerves, made me frustrated. Yelled at him finally saying a person with 10 years of real experience cannot even write this in a matter of 2 mins. Finally i did not get the job because of his feedback. You had to convince all the developers, i guess. I am a certified persons. Maybe they did not appreciate my certification. They would have thought that I am going to take up his job.

Interview Questions

• Refer to above. They should not go by one person's feedback. That person might not appreciate me on the current job.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online – interviewed at J.P. Morgan (New York, NY) in February 2011.

Interview

Very thorough, very friendly people, a bit quant

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Accept it, amazing company

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online – interviewed at J.P. Morgan (New York, NY) in October 2013.

Interview

This process is a joke. The job ad went up on a Friday afternoon, and I applied on a Sunday night. So the ad had literally been up only 48 hours. I had precisely the experience they asked for. Every bullet point they had, I hit. Keep in mind, this particular role required some very obscure skills, which I had as well.

One day later "Sorry you were not chosen to interview". OK. So are you telling me that after 48 hours (on a weekend, no less) you somehow got all the applicants for the role that intended to apply, looked over all their resumes, got in touch with the hiring managers, and then made your choice, choosing from the best applicants? Right. I just don't see how that is possible, because it's not. How do you reject someone before other people have even applied? Who are you rejecting them against?

My guess, is that there is some not too bright person who is not able to grasp what the role really is all about, and how many people out there can actually do that job, and just pushes the "reject" button without knowing who or what they are rejecting. Or maybe some higher ups are not too bright either and don't want someone with more experience to make themselves look bad. Either way. Yuck.

Interview Questions

• None, because I am not convinced they even read your resume   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at J.P. Morgan (London, England (UK)) in May 2014.

Interview

3 interviews, 1 with hiring manager, 6 with their colleagues including MDs, PMs, VPs, Head of Research. Most questions were nice chats about investment style, strategy, holding period in current job, approaches, how stock selection is done and on what criteria. Interviews too approximately 5 hours. The last round was a presentation which I didn't get to do reason being my weak analytical skills (which was rather a misunderstanding I think as I believe for most part they are fine and performance is there to prove it) and investment style (always thought the style is taken over as you join the firm but I think they are looking for a very specific person there).

Interview Questions

• Describe why you would set a specific cost of equity for a bank in specific region when using GGM / have absolutely full understanding of valuation process theory.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at J.P. Morgan (New York, NY).

Interview

Lengthy process meeting around ten people in the team, from other analysts to MD. Each interview was different, with some being more technical than others. Overall, it had a good mix of technical (corporate finance, capital markets, and math/statistics/brain teasers, etc.) as well as behavioral questions. Overall process was pretty smooth.

Interview Questions

• From basic "Tell me about yourself" to brain teasers/capital markets related questions   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at J.P. Morgan in October 2013.

Interview

I applied online after recruiters at my university's information session encouraged me to apply. About a week or so after I applied, I received a phone call from an analyst who asked me basic behavioral questions and my interest in S&T. Shortly thereafter I received a follow up email from JPM telling me that I had been selected for a super day in NYC where I had four back to back interviews.

Interview Questions

• Interviewer asked how my major related to the position I was applying for and after I responded he then said he didn't believe my answer   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at J.P. Morgan.

Interview

2 rounds, telephone then face to face in the JP Morgan london office. Took 2 weeks for the phone interview then 2 weeks to hear back. I went for a face to face interview 2 weeks after that.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at J.P. Morgan (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2010.

Interview

Rigorous interview process to meet across many teams. You first have to get a first screening. Then you go in to meet with the hiring manager. Then you meet with the senior level on the team. Then you meet with all the analysts.

Interview Questions

• What is the theory behind the capital assets pricing model   1 Answer

Negotiation

Did not try to negotiate

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at J.P. Morgan.

Interview

applied through school recruiting site, received interview invitation couple days after submitting resume, I had enough time to prepare for interview. I felt the recruiting process goes really fast (resume-interview invitation-interview)

Interview Questions

• interviewer asked me something very technical in regards to internal control   1 Answer