J.P. Morgan

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
58 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Analyst
City of London, England (UK)

The process took a day - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in March 2011.

Interview Details – met with the Head of the Desk, ED and VP and VP of another desk
4h interview
why sales, why you
a lot of technical questions, went really in details, obviously if you choke on one question they will try to eff you up even more.

even though i didn't get the job, it helped a lot experience wise, i realised what i needed to work on and how they would actually conduct an interview of the kind.

Interview Question – decompose and explain each component of the B/S model   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in January 2012.

Interview Details – Interview process is unbelievably long. Attended Quiz. Then I heard, it is going to be one interview and I will be done. Interview lasted for about exact 30 mins. Then they said, another interview, which supposed to last for 30mins, but took around55 mins. Back and forth, he asked questions. Then received an email saying they were impressed with 2 interviews. Got info that they want to do another 2 more interviews. I wanted the job. So, I said ok. I attended the 3rd interview. He was also drilling me like with lots of questions. He said, in another 30mins another person will be calling. He called and it was also the technical round. He was drilling me like anything. Told me to take a paper and pen and told me write down the commands. Whatever i answered, he argued for everything. Finally he got into my nerves, made me frustrated. Yelled at him finally saying a person with 10 years of real experience cannot even write this in a matter of 2 mins. Finally i did not get the job because of his feedback. You had to convince all the developers, i guess. I am a certified persons. Maybe they did not appreciate my certification. They would have thought that I am going to take up his job.

Interview Question – Refer to above. They should not go by one person's feedback. That person might not appreciate me on the current job.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in February 2011.

Interview Details – Very thorough, very friendly people, a bit quant

Interview Question – Some brain teasers   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Accept it, amazing company

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in October 2013.

Interview Details – This process is a joke. The job ad went up on a Friday afternoon, and I applied on a Sunday night. So the ad had literally been up only 48 hours. I had precisely the experience they asked for. Every bullet point they had, I hit. Keep in mind, this particular role required some very obscure skills, which I had as well.

One day later "Sorry you were not chosen to interview". OK. So are you telling me that after 48 hours (on a weekend, no less) you somehow got all the applicants for the role that intended to apply, looked over all their resumes, got in touch with the hiring managers, and then made your choice, choosing from the best applicants? Right. I just don't see how that is possible, because it's not. How do you reject someone before other people have even applied? Who are you rejecting them against?

My guess, is that there is some not too bright person who is not able to grasp what the role really is all about, and how many people out there can actually do that job, and just pushes the "reject" button without knowing who or what they are rejecting. Or maybe some higher ups are not too bright either and don't want someone with more experience to make themselves look bad. Either way. Yuck.

Interview Question – None, because I am not convinced they even read your resume   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in May 2014.

Interview Details – 3 interviews, 1 with hiring manager, 6 with their colleagues including MDs, PMs, VPs, Head of Research. Most questions were nice chats about investment style, strategy, holding period in current job, approaches, how stock selection is done and on what criteria. Interviews too approximately 5 hours. The last round was a presentation which I didn't get to do reason being my weak analytical skills (which was rather a misunderstanding I think as I believe for most part they are fine and performance is there to prove it) and investment style (always thought the style is taken over as you join the firm but I think they are looking for a very specific person there).

Interview Question – Describe why you would set a specific cost of equity for a bank in specific region when using GGM / have absolutely full understanding of valuation process theory.   View Answer

Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in January 2010.

Interview Details – Rigorous interview process to meet across many teams. You first have to get a first screening. Then you go in to meet with the hiring manager. Then you meet with the senior level on the team. Then you meet with all the analysts.

Interview Question – What is the theory behind the capital assets pricing model   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Did not try to negotiate

Tokyo (Japan)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in November 2009.

Interview Details – First round interviewees are selected based on the resume drop. In Japan, students need to submit a letter of intent that describes why the student thinks she is a good fit for the company and why the company is a good fit considering her career goals.

First round interview:
1) One group interview (problem solving together) --> points being watched are how the candidate interacts in a group, how convincing the candidate is and how the group came to a mutually agreed conclusion/solution for the given problem.
2) Three back to back interviews with managers from different groups within the department. Questions were mainly about why this role, why this company, long term career goals, leadership example, teamwork example.

Second Round Interview:
5 back to back interviews. Four in English, one in Japanese. Some technical question (regarding equities business, algorithm trading etc. - very basic level). Standard questions otherwise - strength, weakness, academic and extracurricular experiences etc.

Interview Question – What was the most constructive feedback you have received? How did you respond to that feedback?   View Answer

Mumbai (India)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in May 2011.

Interview Details – Aptitude test, followed by interview with Manager and the last is Interview with HR

Interview Question – Is social networking the cause of falling human relations?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was given a choice to join any section of a particular department.

Columbus, OH

The process took 3 days - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in April 2012.

Interview Details – It started off with a phone interview that consisted of going over my credentials in my resume. That was followed up with a 1:1 interview where more in depth questions were asked and they asked for my opinions. It is good to have follow up questions. And then in the last interview, I talked to a group of people about the team I would work with and it worked out well from there.

Interview Questions

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in March 2009.

Interview Details – started with why should I hire you, went through my resume, and then asked technical question like Java polymorphism, threading, deadlock and some database question like index, candidate key and normalization. I answered all the questions along with some examples, but it did get back to me after the interview.

Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at J.P. Morgan

Worked for J.P. Morgan? Contribute to the Community!

J.P. Morgan Videos

J.P. Morgan – Why Work for Us?

J.P. Morgan has been doing first-class business in a first-class way for more than 200 years. We have been a leading player in helping companies grow and markets develop throughout our history. We work in collaboration… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at J.P. Morgan Analyst interview questions and advice. All 58 interview reviews posted anonymously by J.P. Morgan employees and interview candidates.