J.P. Morgan Applications Developer Interview Questions & Reviews

34 interviews

2.8

34 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Applications Developer Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in January 2012.

Since I was in India, all 3 interviews were on phone. They asked about core java, collections, multithreading, jms messaging. The interviewer were friendly and gave few hints. There were few database SQL queries too.

I didn't negotiate

Other Interview Reviews for J.P. Morgan

Anonymous Employee  in  Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan.

Was asked to apply through a friend. Had an hour long phone interview with technical lead. They asked me to write a sample fully functional application using Ruby on Rails. A little background on me I have coded in Ruby for less than a year and have never coded in Rails. I successfully completed the assignment in a couple of days. The team reviewed my code and brought me in for a face to face group setting interview with over 10 people. Each person then asked technical and personal details related to the application they were working on. During the interview several people cursed and one playfully threw a notebook at another team member (not me). After the interview the team lead pressured me very hard to give him my current salary which I did not do. The entire process never spoke to an HR person or the hiring manager. In the end they said my skills in Ruby were not up to par.

Interview Questions
    • What is the difference between dependency injection and inversion control?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in March 2014.

Referred by a friend, received phone interview two days letter, and then interviewed at JP Morgan for 3 and half hours with 4 people one week later. At first, I thought the interview to be a OO focused one, so I prepared a lot for OO design question since the team used SmallTalk as the programming tool. It turned out the question is more focused on what I have learnt in maths and finance, not too much OO.

Interview Questions
    • Met 4 different levels and groups of people. Each person focused on different aspects. Derive BS PDE, some probability questions, design parking lot and their daily management process (I don't quite understand what he really wanted, so I was struggled with this question), some financial derivative questions like yield curve and pricing bond.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in July 2013.

HR Screen followed by management and team phone interview followed by face-to-face series of interviews.
    HR interview was basic verification that I could say yes or no to matching the job posting requirements.
    The phone interview was very one way with both the managers and team members. They didn't ask if I had questions once and didn't answer them when I asked at the end, they turned them back into questions to me. Managers where vague about what role required and focused on what I had done, not how I had accomplished any of it. The team interview was like a multiple choice question exam where the answers where obvious.
    The Face-to-Face interview was LONG. Started at 1:00, left at 5:45. The Management portion was more about getting to know personality than skills. Most job questions were about describing specifics to things on resume and if they made the experience relevant to the position. In hind site, the description of the role and the requirements for it were drastically different than the reality. They stated the position was intended to take advantage of existing skills and allow for development of skills that were new or dated over a long period of time. The reality was that after 2 months I was expected to know all the technology equally, and even though my contribution was very high where my expertise was very high the notion that time would be allowed to develop new skills was simply not true.
    Interview with team members was different depending on their background. Some where very straight forward and verifying that level of expertise was where it was stated to be. Others where asking for examples of how specific situations where handled in the past, a lot of discussion about how I would deal with situations that were very standard and led to sharing war stories more than interviewing.

Was not encouraged to ask questions and when I did the replies where vague and did not answer the questions. After starting understood they didn't know the answer but didn't simply tell me that.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation when I had to fire someone for a code of ethics violation. I never have and that response led to the question "why?". I've never had anyone violate a code of ethics rule so it has never come up. They seemed to get stuck on that even though this wasn't even a management position making that portion strange.   View Answer
    I said yes.

Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in January 2014.

HR sets up an Interview with the Manager, after that I had three technical Interviews on Phone. Once all interviews are cleared final processing of recruitment done by Business before finalizing on the offer

Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in October 2013.

Found on college career site, went to a panel on campus and met some people at the career fair, then did a next day interview on campus (after they scanned my resume for 30 seconds and said I looked alright). That interview was an hour long and mostly resume-based and behavioral, with one technical question.

The college "super day" was really only a few hours (they payed for transportation to Chicago), which consisted of two half hour interviews, and a presentation to one other guy that I had been told to prepare. These interviews were essentially behavioral and there wasn't too much preparation on the part of the interviewers.

In general, the process left me uninspired.

Interview Questions
    • What's the difference between a linked list and an array?   View Answer

The offer was a bit lower than 'cooler' companies, and I got the sense that it's a place for suits and that people didn't really enjoy their jobs. Also, spending six weeks in Columbus for training didn't sound that exciting.

Applications Developer Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at J.P. Morgan.

3 phone interview and 1 face-to-face interview

Interview Questions
    • a brain teaser question: you have two balls and one 100-story building. What is minimum tries to figure out which floor will break the ball if a ball is dropped from that floor.   View Answer

package being offered is below the target

Applications Developer Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in August 2011.

I had two interviews. The team was very friendly and helpful. They understood the more they helped and taught you the quicker you can contribute to the team.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to be an applications Developer?   View Answer
    You can ALWAYS negotiate your salary. It never hurts to ask. Unless you are the cream of the crop, they will try to lowball you.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

I interviewed in-person. The process took 5 days - interviewed at J.P. Morgan.

In my case, my interview went very smoothly and very quickly because my experience matched perfectly for the position for which I was applying. Generally interviews are thorough and the hiring process can take longer, anywhere from 2 weeks to a month. I would say for the company this size, it is not too bad.

Applications Developer Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at J.P. Morgan.

First round with Technical Recruiter
    Second round Technical Interview
    Third round Behavioral interview

Interview Questions

Worked for J.P. Morgan? Contribute to the Community!