J.P. Morgan Applications Developer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 22, 2015

2.8

Applications Developer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at J.P. Morgan.

Interview

Got invited to on campus interview. The interview lasted 45 minutes, including a brief introduction of the program, discussion about project experience and easy code questions. After that they brought me to an onsite panel interview. There were 3 rounds of interviews. Mostly focusing on projects, plus some of the knowledge based programming questions. Not very hard.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for J.P. Morgan

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tallahassee, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at J.P. Morgan (Tallahassee, FL) in January 2015.

Interview

There were two 30 minute interviews, the first one just trying to get to know me, the 2nd one some behavioral and technical questions. They want you to be yourself in the interview, that is what the interviewer told me when I asked what his biggest piece of advice was.

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at J.P. Morgan (Baltimore, MD) in October 2014.

Interview

I met them at my school career fair. I got an interview two weeks after. There were two hiring managers that were going to interview me consecutively. They said they would get back in a week or two time

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between a pass by Variable and Pass by reference   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at J.P. Morgan (Bloomington, IN) in September 2014.

Interview

I chatted with them at a career fair and got a next day interview. During that interview, I spoke with two people. The first was a more technically-oriented interview. The guy asked me about past development experience and a few questions about object-oriented programming. The second one was more of an HR type of thing.

Interview Questions

• "What is a static variable?" Should be simple for you studious ones, but I actually couldn't remember precisely what the definition was because I hadn't written any code involving static variables.

"Why shouldn't I hire you?" Now here's a head-scratcher, haha. I said, "Because I'm brand new and have very little experience." Fair enough.

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at J.P. Morgan (Columbus, OH).

Interview

Was asked to apply through a friend. Had an hour long phone interview with technical lead. They asked me to write a sample fully functional application using Ruby on Rails. A little background on me I have coded in Ruby for less than a year and have never coded in Rails. I successfully completed the assignment in a couple of days. The team reviewed my code and brought me in for a face to face group setting interview with over 10 people. Each person then asked technical and personal details related to the application they were working on. During the interview several people cursed and one playfully threw a notebook at another team member (not me). After the interview the team lead pressured me very hard to give him my current salary which I did not do. The entire process never spoke to an HR person or the hiring manager. In the end they said my skills in Ruby were not up to par.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between dependency injection and inversion control?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J.P. Morgan (New York, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

Referred by a friend, received phone interview two days letter, and then interviewed at JP Morgan for 3 and half hours with 4 people one week later. At first, I thought the interview to be a OO focused one, so I prepared a lot for OO design question since the team used SmallTalk as the programming tool. It turned out the question is more focused on what I have learnt in maths and finance, not too much OO.

Interview Questions

• Met 4 different levels and groups of people. Each person focused on different aspects. Derive BS PDE, some probability questions, design parking lot and their daily management process (I don't quite understand what he really wanted, so I was struggled with this question), some financial derivative questions like yield curve and pricing bond.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at J.P. Morgan (Houston, TX) in January 2014.

Interview

HR sets up an Interview with the Manager, after that I had three technical Interviews on Phone. Once all interviews are cleared final processing of recruitment done by Business before finalizing on the offer

Interview Questions

• How do you execute thread pool   1 Answer

Applications Developer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at J.P. Morgan.

Interview

3 phone interview and 1 face-to-face interview

Interview Questions

• a brain teaser question: you have two balls and one 100-story building. What is minimum tries to figure out which floor will break the ball if a ball is dropped from that floor.   2 Answers

package being offered is below the target

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at J.P. Morgan (Chicago, IL) in October 2013.

Interview

Found on college career site, went to a panel on campus and met some people at the career fair, then did a next day interview on campus (after they scanned my resume for 30 seconds and said I looked alright). That interview was an hour long and mostly resume-based and behavioral, with one technical question.

The college "super day" was really only a few hours (they payed for transportation to Chicago), which consisted of two half hour interviews, and a presentation to one other guy that I had been told to prepare. These interviews were essentially behavioral and there wasn't too much preparation on the part of the interviewers.

In general, the process left me uninspired.

Interview Questions

• What's the difference between a linked list and an array?   1 Answer

The offer was a bit lower than 'cooler' companies, and I got the sense that it's a place for suits and that people didn't really enjoy their jobs. Also, spending six weeks in Columbus for training didn't sound that exciting.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at J.P. Morgan (Jacksonville, FL).

Interview

In my case, my interview went very smoothly and very quickly because my experience matched perfectly for the position for which I was applying. Generally interviews are thorough and the hiring process can take longer, anywhere from 2 weeks to a month. I would say for the company this size, it is not too bad.