J.P. Morgan

Average Difficulty
33 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Columbus, OH

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan.

Interview Details – Was asked to apply through a friend. Had an hour long phone interview with technical lead. They asked me to write a sample fully functional application using Ruby on Rails. A little background on me I have coded in Ruby for less than a year and have never coded in Rails. I successfully completed the assignment in a couple of days. The team reviewed my code and brought me in for a face to face group setting interview with over 10 people. Each person then asked technical and personal details related to the application they were working on. During the interview several people cursed and one playfully threw a notebook at another team member (not me). After the interview the team lead pressured me very hard to give him my current salary which I did not do. The entire process never spoke to an HR person or the hiring manager. In the end they said my skills in Ruby were not up to par.

Interview Question – What is the difference between dependency injection and inversion control?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in March 2014.

Interview Details – Referred by a friend, received phone interview two days letter, and then interviewed at JP Morgan for 3 and half hours with 4 people one week later. At first, I thought the interview to be a OO focused one, so I prepared a lot for OO design question since the team used SmallTalk as the programming tool. It turned out the question is more focused on what I have learnt in maths and finance, not too much OO.

Interview Question – Met 4 different levels and groups of people. Each person focused on different aspects. Derive BS PDE, some probability questions, design parking lot and their daily management process (I don't quite understand what he really wanted, so I was struggled with this question), some financial derivative questions like yield curve and pricing bond.   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in July 2013.

Interview Details – HR Screen followed by management and team phone interview followed by face-to-face series of interviews.
HR interview was basic verification that I could say yes or no to matching the job posting requirements.
The phone interview was very one way with both the managers and team members. They didn't ask if I had questions once and didn't answer them when I asked at the end, they turned them back into questions to me. Managers where vague about what role required and focused on what I had done, not how I had accomplished any of it. The team interview was like a multiple choice question exam where the answers where obvious.
The Face-to-Face interview was LONG. Started at 1:00, left at 5:45. The Management portion was more about getting to know personality than skills. Most job questions were about describing specifics to things on resume and if they made the experience relevant to the position. In hind site, the description of the role and the requirements for it were drastically different than the reality. They stated the position was intended to take advantage of existing skills and allow for development of skills that were new or dated over a long period of time. The reality was that after 2 months I was expected to know all the technology equally, and even though my contribution was very high where my expertise was very high the notion that time would be allowed to develop new skills was simply not true.
Interview with team members was different depending on their background. Some where very straight forward and verifying that level of expertise was where it was stated to be. Others where asking for examples of how specific situations where handled in the past, a lot of discussion about how I would deal with situations that were very standard and led to sharing war stories more than interviewing.

Was not encouraged to ask questions and when I did the replies where vague and did not answer the questions. After starting understood they didn't know the answer but didn't simply tell me that.

Interview Question – Describe a situation when I had to fire someone for a code of ethics violation. I never have and that response led to the question "why?". I've never had anyone violate a code of ethics rule so it has never come up. They seemed to get stuck on that even though this wasn't even a management position making that portion strange.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I said yes.

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in January 2014.

Interview Details – HR sets up an Interview with the Manager, after that I had three technical Interviews on Phone. Once all interviews are cleared final processing of recruitment done by Business before finalizing on the offer

Interview Question – How do you execute thread pool   View Answer

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in October 2013.

Interview Details – Found on college career site, went to a panel on campus and met some people at the career fair, then did a next day interview on campus (after they scanned my resume for 30 seconds and said I looked alright). That interview was an hour long and mostly resume-based and behavioral, with one technical question.

The college "super day" was really only a few hours (they payed for transportation to Chicago), which consisted of two half hour interviews, and a presentation to one other guy that I had been told to prepare. These interviews were essentially behavioral and there wasn't too much preparation on the part of the interviewers.

In general, the process left me uninspired.

Interview Question – What's the difference between a linked list and an array?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – The offer was a bit lower than 'cooler' companies, and I got the sense that it's a place for suits and that people didn't really enjoy their jobs. Also, spending six weeks in Columbus for training didn't sound that exciting.

Applications Developer

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at J.P. Morgan.

Interview Details – 3 phone interview and 1 face-to-face interview

Interview Question – a brain teaser question: you have two balls and one 100-story building. What is minimum tries to figure out which floor will break the ball if a ball is dropped from that floor.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – package being offered is below the target

Very Easy Interview

Applications Developer

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in August 2011.

Interview Details – I had two interviews. The team was very friendly and helpful. They understood the more they helped and taught you the quicker you can contribute to the team.

Interview Question – Why do you want to be an applications Developer?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – You can ALWAYS negotiate your salary. It never hurts to ask. Unless you are the cream of the crop, they will try to lowball you.

Very Easy Interview

Jacksonville, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at J.P. Morgan.

Interview Details – In my case, my interview went very smoothly and very quickly because my experience matched perfectly for the position for which I was applying. Generally interviews are thorough and the hiring process can take longer, anywhere from 2 weeks to a month. I would say for the company this size, it is not too bad.

Interview Question – None in my case.   Answer Question

Applications Developer

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at J.P. Morgan.

Interview Details – First round with Technical Recruiter
Second round Technical Interview
Third round Behavioral interview

Interview Question – Straight forward   Answer Question

Columbus, OH

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in December 2012.

Interview Details – Very professional recruiter contacted me and the process was very smooth

Interview Question – Most of the question was based on my experience and some algorithms and data structure question.
Question on java exceptions , concurrency and collections.
  Answer Question

Worked for J.P. Morgan? Contribute to the Community!