J.P. Morgan

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
33 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Wilmington, DE

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in April 2011.

Interview Details – I applied the position on JPMorgan Chase career website, and then got the first interview with hr in a month. Technical phone interview was set a few days later, and then invited to onsite. The onsite included 1 hour group panel technical interview, 1.5 hour one to oen with hiring manager, and 30 mins face to face with hr.

Interview Question – how to do sql tuning?   Answer Question

Mumbai (India)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 4 days - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in December 2009.

Interview Details – Good telephonic interview for two hours and then reporting for personal interview. The personal interview was technical come managerial interview of 1.5 hours.

The HR interview was one hour more. Then was given breakout. later was asked to collect offer letter later.

Chicago, IL

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in July 2013.

Interview Details – HR Screen followed by management and team phone interview followed by face-to-face series of interviews.
HR interview was basic verification that I could say yes or no to matching the job posting requirements.
The phone interview was very one way with both the managers and team members. They didn't ask if I had questions once and didn't answer them when I asked at the end, they turned them back into questions to me. Managers where vague about what role required and focused on what I had done, not how I had accomplished any of it. The team interview was like a multiple choice question exam where the answers where obvious.
The Face-to-Face interview was LONG. Started at 1:00, left at 5:45. The Management portion was more about getting to know personality than skills. Most job questions were about describing specifics to things on resume and if they made the experience relevant to the position. In hind site, the description of the role and the requirements for it were drastically different than the reality. They stated the position was intended to take advantage of existing skills and allow for development of skills that were new or dated over a long period of time. The reality was that after 2 months I was expected to know all the technology equally, and even though my contribution was very high where my expertise was very high the notion that time would be allowed to develop new skills was simply not true.
Interview with team members was different depending on their background. Some where very straight forward and verifying that level of expertise was where it was stated to be. Others where asking for examples of how specific situations where handled in the past, a lot of discussion about how I would deal with situations that were very standard and led to sharing war stories more than interviewing.

Was not encouraged to ask questions and when I did the replies where vague and did not answer the questions. After starting understood they didn't know the answer but didn't simply tell me that.

Interview Question – Describe a situation when I had to fire someone for a code of ethics violation. I never have and that response led to the question "why?". I've never had anyone violate a code of ethics rule so it has never come up. They seemed to get stuck on that even though this wasn't even a management position making that portion strange.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I said yes.

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in March 2014.

Interview Details – Referred by a friend, received phone interview two days letter, and then interviewed at JP Morgan for 3 and half hours with 4 people one week later. At first, I thought the interview to be a OO focused one, so I prepared a lot for OO design question since the team used SmallTalk as the programming tool. It turned out the question is more focused on what I have learnt in maths and finance, not too much OO.

Interview Question – Met 4 different levels and groups of people. Each person focused on different aspects. Derive BS PDE, some probability questions, design parking lot and their daily management process (I don't quite understand what he really wanted, so I was struggled with this question), some financial derivative questions like yield curve and pricing bond.   Answer Question

Columbus, OH

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan.

Interview Details – Was asked to apply through a friend. Had an hour long phone interview with technical lead. They asked me to write a sample fully functional application using Ruby on Rails. A little background on me I have coded in Ruby for less than a year and have never coded in Rails. I successfully completed the assignment in a couple of days. The team reviewed my code and brought me in for a face to face group setting interview with over 10 people. Each person then asked technical and personal details related to the application they were working on. During the interview several people cursed and one playfully threw a notebook at another team member (not me). After the interview the team lead pressured me very hard to give him my current salary which I did not do. The entire process never spoke to an HR person or the hiring manager. In the end they said my skills in Ruby were not up to par.

Interview Question – What is the difference between dependency injection and inversion control?   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in January 2014.

Interview Details – HR sets up an Interview with the Manager, after that I had three technical Interviews on Phone. Once all interviews are cleared final processing of recruitment done by Business before finalizing on the offer

Interview Question – How do you execute thread pool   View Answer

Wilmington, DE

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at J.P. Morgan.

Interview Details – I Contacted a recruiter of JPMC through Linkedin and talked to him thorugh phone about my salary requirements and my experience.Later,I was set up with Phone interview.
It was full of C++,JAVA -Vtable,Virtual functions,Virtual base class,polymorphism etc.
I was asked to attend telepresence interview at their Chicago office to connect with the team director in Delware.The interview was pretty the same -OOP,Design pattern etc.

Interview Question – No difficult questions.it was easy   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Still going

Mumbai (India)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in March 2010.

Interview Details – After I submitted an online application the HR called and setup a technical phone interview with the architect and hiring manager. After that I was interviewed in person by a panel of 4 people.

Interview Question – It was about writing a code on the white board. Also they asked me to write few select SQL statements involving joins.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The offer exceeded my expectations so I didn't have to negotiate.

Application Developer Interview

Application Developer
Hyderābād (India)

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan.

Interview Details – i had applied to one of the openings listed on the company website, later was contacted by the HR regarding the initial set of details.
Later they scheduled a Technical Interview, in which the questions started off with
Introduction
Logical questions combined with technical skills
Later too much technical. The interviewer was pretty much satisfied.
Next day HR contacted me for a F2F interview. which was scheduled next week.
Had introduction with the hiring manager, he asked questions about my work, and told about his LOB in the company.
Then had small meeting with HR & he said that will get back to me soon. A week later got the call from HR that i have been selected for the Position. :D Made my day !!!!

Interview Question – Why you want to leave current organization?
Why Relocating to Hyderabad, since i was put up some where else.
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – i got what i asked for , they didn't leave any room for negotiations.

Columbus, OH

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in December 2012.

Interview Details – Very professional recruiter contacted me and the process was very smooth

Interview Question – Most of the question was based on my experience and some algorithms and data structure question.
Question on java exceptions , concurrency and collections.
  Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at J.P. Morgan

Worked for J.P. Morgan? Contribute to the Community!

J.P. Morgan Videos

J.P. Morgan – Why Work for Us?

J.P. Morgan has been doing first-class business in a first-class way for more than 200 years. We have been a leading player in helping companies grow and markets develop throughout our history. We work in collaboration… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at J.P. Morgan Applications Developer interview questions and advice. All 33 interview reviews posted anonymously by J.P. Morgan employees and interview candidates.