J.P. Morgan Business Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Mar 26, 2015

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at J.P. Morgan in June 2012.

1. Same day 2 phone interview with a project manager and a senior business analyst lead and 1 in person in NYC office with the group's Executive Director
2. Two phone interviews the same day 3 weeks later as a follow-up
3. A in-person interview as the 3rd round with the actual hiring/reporting manager in NY office location

Interview Questions
  • PM: Describe your leadership style? Describe a difficult scenario you faced as a BA and how you overcame that? Describe your past BA roles? What are your strengths and weakness?

BA Leads: Describe your past projects? How do you gather and analyze requirements? What tools have you used to do uml diagrams? How do you develop use cases and user stories?

Executive Director - Have you written user stories? What would your approach be for developing user entitlement requirements for a global system? What is your career objective? What are you presently doing?

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for J.P. Morgan

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at J.P. Morgan in May 2014.

Internal move from within the firm. It's typically easier to move within the firm because their acquiring you below market value. Once they've decided I was deemed appropriate for the role, it was a matter of getting the transfer approved.

Anonymous Employee in Hoboken, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Hoboken, NJ

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at J.P. Morgan in March 2015.

The interview process was actually more relaxed than I had anticipated. The questions were pretty much very general and had nothing to do with company processes. One of my interviewers said that this was because the whole reason we are interviewing for this company is to one day gain that experience, so they didn't need us to know it off the bat. And while I'm on the topic, I also had two interviewers (about 30 minutes each). They were extremely nice and understanding. One recommendation I do have is to go in and be human. Relax, and talk about your experience as you answer questions. Both interviewers got extremely off topic as we both got lost in an interesting conversation, which might do more for you than all of your "fancy talk." I marked NO on the job offer because I'm still waiting to hear back from them, but I'm optimistic :)

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at J.P. Morgan.

After resume screening, I was invited to an hour-long OCI interview. It was a half hour each with two different executive directors. Mostly behavioral questions, some technical. Overall, not difficult if you find out what JP Morgan is about and tell them why you are truly interested in the position. No superday, got a call 1 week letter with an offer- letter came via email a couple days later and I accepted.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at J.P. Morgan.

Two round interview. One was on campus and the other one was a super day. There will two back to back interview on super day. The difficulty of question mostly depends on who is the interviewer. Some of them prefer behavior question and some of the prefer tech question. Make sure you get prepare for both because you do not know who would be your interviewer on the Super Day. I interviewed last November but get no response after that.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at J.P. Morgan in December 2013.

Two thirty minute interviews with senior level employees. First was with operations managers who gave insights on how a typical day went and the different areas that you attend to. Second was with another senior level operations employee who dove more into a personality test and asked example questions so be prepared with certain stories of leadership, struggle, and achievement as well.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a time you needed to take charge of a team oriented project and how you demonstrated you lead them to success?   Answer Question
    • Give me an example of when you were faced with a challenge and how you overcame that challenge?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at J.P. Morgan.

Two rounds of interviews.
    One with the direct manager and two co-workers.
    The second with upper management.
    Relatively informal and painless. I knew the hiring manager so I'm guessing this had something to do with the laid back nature of the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Basic questions relative to the position. How would I handle a particular situation and why I was interested in the job. No questions on strengths or weaknesses.   Answer Question
    I countered the salary offer and it was declined.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at J.P. Morgan.

I interviewed about a month before the position was posted after being contacted by a manager internally (I work as a contractor). It has now been 4 months, the position continues to be posted as accepting applications - but I've had no feedback other than when it actually posted and that I could formally apply.

Interview Questions
    • Standard interview questions - didn't have a job description for the position but was asked about qualifications for Visio, etc   View Answer

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at J.P. Morgan.

1. After you applied online through company career website, you will get an email from the recruiter. 2. I got a phone call from 2 associates currently working in the team
    3 After finishing a 2-1 interview, you will be told to wait for response

Business Analyst Interview

Question: What is the importance of a flow chart?

Answer: When answering this question you need to make it clear that you understand what this tool is used for. A flow chart is a tool that provides a graphical representation of a process. This chart will make a system easy to understand for everyone that is involved with the project that is underway.

Question: What is a use case model?

Answer: A use case model is a tool that is used to describe the business environment. The goal of the tool is to show the actions and events that take place during a given process that is performed by an actor.

Question: What is UML modeling?

Answer: UML stands for Unified Modeling Language. It is the standard in the industry for visualizing, documenting and constructing various components of a system.

The interviewer will likely want to know that you understand how each of these tools is used in the daily life of a business analyst professional. It is crucial that you can describe the methods and techniques used for each tool in a manner that shows you know what you are talking about. Check out the following course to better understand financial modeling and be informed when you answer questions at your interview.

Question: What is an activity diagram and why is it significant?

Answer: The purpose of an activity diagram is to provide an outline of work flow in the business, including the action and activities that are completed. For example, with a company there is likely to be more than one department, with various access levels to the system. If there are departments including HR, Medical and Accounting, they only have access to the screens that relate to their work. An activity diagram will be used to highlight the differences in the departments, which is extremely helpful for developers when they are coding and designing.

Question: What is the role and responsibility of a business analyst?

Answer: If you are interviewing for the position of a business analyst, you should be able to answer this question without much thought. Some of the jobs of a business analyst will include comparing facts and figures, listening to managers and shareholders to provide effective solutions for problems and the negotiation of issues between departments. Check out the course on business analysis to learn more about your role in this position.