J.P. Morgan Business Systems Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Mar 6, 2015

3.2

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Interview

First round mostly behavioral followed by superday (behavioral, technical, and presentation)

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for J.P. Morgan

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at J.P. Morgan (Chicago, IL) in February 2013.

Interview

One 30- minute phone interview with a senior manager who asked basic interview questions about your résumé and experience. 2nd round interview was at JP Morgan in Chicago with about 7-10 other interviewees. This consisted of two 30-minute interviews and a 10-15 minute presentation in which you present on any technology-based project that you have worked on. Interview process and questions was rather basic.

Interview Questions

• They asked a lot about coding experience and what servers I have worked on. Most of them I have never even heard of, but it was fine because they still gave me an offer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I did not even try to negotiate because the compensation package was a lot better then my other offers.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at J.P. Morgan (Tampa, FL) in January 2012.

Interview

I applied under the university programs at JPMorgan Chase career page for 2012 Technology Analyst Development Program on November 21, 2011. The campus recruiter will receive your application. If the recruiter is interested in you they will send a email asking you to fill out this spreadsheet application and to send your most current resume. I received this email on December 1, 2011. A week later on December 8, 2011, I received an email from the recruiter asking my location preference. Then the recruiter will select who gets phone interview by hiring managers. I received an email about scheduling a phone interview on December 13, 2011. I received another email from the recruiter confirming the date and time of the phone interview. My phone interview was on December 21, 2011. It was very technical with some behavioral based questions. On January 4, 2012, I received an email that I was selected for the Super final (2nd) round interview which was on January 11, 2012 from 1pm - 4:30pm. After your phone interview if selected for 2nd round interviews you will go to Super Day on campus (JPM worksite) for the final (2nd) round interviews which consists of two interviews and one 10-15 minute presentation on a technical project of your choice. Final rounds were more behavioral based than technical. The final round interviews and presentation was a lot more relaxed than I had anticipated. I was notified on the same day by the recruiter that I had received a offer. But they say it can take up to one week to be notify whether you got a offer or rejection. I say normally it takes one to two days for notification of offer. But the hiring managers and recruiter will make decisions on the same day as the interviews who will get a offer or rejection. It took about a week to receive actually offer letter. Throughout whole interview process you will interview with hiring managers usually in your choice of position if that role is available.

Interview Questions

• Describe SDLC and all the phases?   Answer Question
    • What would you do in a situation that two of your stakeholders have conflicting requirements?   Answer Question

Negotiation

None

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Syracuse, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at J.P. Morgan (Syracuse, NY) in November 2011.

Interview

i applied through my school's website and received a phone call for interview. The interviewer in Syracuse was very knowledgeable and open minded. He would hire students from various majors and place them in a positions that have little or no resemblance. I had a 1 on 1 interview in Lyman Hall. Based on my experience, it was an average level interview. Primarily he asked me questions related to my resume and relevant coursework. He would also ask what I know about JPMC. Some advices is to research about the position you're applying for and try to know as much as you can regarding the business lines JPMC owns. Know a little bit about the history of the company as well. JPMC likes candidates who are proactive, professional, and constantly wanting to learn.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose to applying to JPMC?   1 Answer
    • What do you think you can bring to the table?   Answer Question

Negotiation

You should not negotiate unless you are applying for management positions. Compensation are based on average taken from websites like monsterlot.com. Although the compensation in the corporate sector is already pretty good.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at J.P. Morgan (Chicago, IL) in October 2011.

Interview

Expect a lot of interviews. HR screening phone, Manager phone, Peer phone, 4 managers in functional areas candidate would be working with phone, Peer Phone, Manager face to face, Peer face to face. Expect Logic problems, questions around problem solving, Project management, Systems Analysis and design, SDLC. Managing peers and managing managers and execs expectations on top of the regular interview questions around handling difficult situations, tell me little about yourself etc.

Interview Questions

• You have 3 gallon container and 5 gallon container, how do you get exactly 4 gallons.   1 Answer
    • Monkey climbing a slippery pole problem. Also describe a typical SDLC project you were involved in end to end.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They ask what you are expecting (know what you are worth use glassdoor and other resources) their offer was in line with what market dictates and I got a little extra (probably because of my experiece and MBA). The offer process(after I knew that they were going to be making me an offer) took weeks, needed CIO approval but they came back with only 2000 less than what I had asked for but offered another additional 7000 in bonus based on performance.

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at J.P. Morgan in September 2011.

Interview

Expect a lot of interviews, one with each functional area you will work with (Business, QA, Architecture, App Dev, UAT, a few peers, hiring manager, and 2 levels up.) keep in touch with the recruiter, Approval and offer can take time.

Interview Questions

• A few logic problems asked to solve them during interview. Handed printed out mock email string and asked to read thru and asked how would you handle this situation. Expect to be grilled over SDLC, Agile methodology, sharing experience and examples of problem solving using analytical, communication, and leadership skills.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Had a good idea of the range thanks to GlassDoor, prior experience and prior discussions with external headhunters, asked for a number recruiter came back with only $3k less than what I had asked for, along with the caveat that the avg bonus was around 6k. My 1st yr bonus ended up being more than double that.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at J.P. Morgan (Jacksonville, FL) in August 2011.

Interview

Very throurough, asked the basic questions and left me room to expound on what I could bring to the position.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There wasn't one.

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at J.P. Morgan in August 2011.

Interview

Straight forward process. 2 phone calls.. typical phone screening questions related skills, technology, salary expectations etc 3 in person interviews presentation on board skills related questions management related questions typical HR questions. salary negotiations final interview with the senior manager

Interview Questions

• Questions about technologies. Questions about banking why are you leaving current employer? management related questions typical HR questions salary expectations etc   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at J.P. Morgan (New York, NY) in February 2011.

Interview

Be prepared to back up everything that is on your resume. Do some research about the company and department before going into the interview. Take a portfolio of work that you have completed for your past or present employee so that the interviewer can see concrete examples of your work.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Salary. show how you stand out compared to others in terms of your skills and abilities in order to strengthen your negotiating position.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at J.P. Morgan (Columbus, OH) in February 2011.

Interview

My communication with the company from start to finish was very professional. They came to my school through the career services, and met many candidates, of which they only took two to work in Columbus. It was a very rigorous interview, but the two recruiters were very amiable. Columbus is the area of their tech hub, and is a very great place to work.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a problem you considered while in your consulting job when you could not find an immediate solution, and what steps you took to resolve it.   Answer Question