J.P. Morgan

Relevance Date Difficulty

Applications Developer Interview

Applications Developer
Chicago, IL

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in July 2013.

Interview Details – HR Screen followed by management and team phone interview followed by face-to-face series of interviews.
HR interview was basic verification that I could say yes or no to matching the job posting requirements.
The phone interview was very one way with both the managers and team members. They didn't ask if I had questions once and didn't answer them when I asked at the end, they turned them back into questions to me. Managers where vague about what role required and focused on what I had done, not how I had accomplished any of it. The team interview was like a multiple choice question exam where the answers where obvious.
The Face-to-Face interview was LONG. Started at 1:00, left at 5:45. The Management portion was more about getting to know personality than skills. Most job questions were about describing specifics to things on resume and if they made the experience relevant to the position. In hind site, the description of the role and the requirements for it were drastically different than the reality. They stated the position was intended to take advantage of existing skills and allow for development of skills that were new or dated over a long period of time. The reality was that after 2 months I was expected to know all the technology equally, and even though my contribution was very high where my expertise was very high the notion that time would be allowed to develop new skills was simply not true.
Interview with team members was different depending on their background. Some where very straight forward and verifying that level of expertise was where it was stated to be. Others where asking for examples of how specific situations where handled in the past, a lot of discussion about how I would deal with situations that were very standard and led to sharing war stories more than interviewing.

Was not encouraged to ask questions and when I did the replies where vague and did not answer the questions. After starting understood they didn't know the answer but didn't simply tell me that.

Interview Question – Describe a situation when I had to fire someone for a code of ethics violation. I never have and that response led to the question "why?". I've never had anyone violate a code of ethics rule so it has never come up. They seemed to get stuck on that even though this wasn't even a management position making that portion strange.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I said yes.

Consultant Interview

Consultant
Chicago, IL

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in April 2013.

Interview Details – Overall, interview process was fair and informative. Employees seemed interested in the process, helpful and educated about the position. They asked pertinent questions and gave me time to ask them questions about the job.

Interview Question – How long do you plan to work for the company?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No significant negotiation power for entry level position.

Very Easy Interview

Data Keyer Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in November 2012.

Interview Details – Hired through Randstadt, a temp agency, they were nice, went same day for fingerprints and ID down the street at the chase tower. 2 days later had to go for a urine test and to complete paperwork. Emailed me my start day the following week. Very fast and straightforward.

Interview Question – Nothing, they just wanted bodies in there basically and as long as long as you were not a complete idiot you got in. Revolving door this place is, very sad!   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None, it was for 12.00 an hour, take it or leave it. When this job ended suddenly 1 month later, we were offered less hours as a mail extractor at 10.00 an hour:(

QA Analyst Interview

QA Analyst
Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in December 2012.

Interview Details – They wasted no time in hiring process .... 4 days after I submitted my resume, had a phone interview and 4 more days later, an onsite. Offer was given 4-5 days after the onsite. There was very little room in offer negotiation though. Interview was not hard, most questions were expected ... Met with 4 interviewers and spent 30 minutes with each.

Interview Question – How do you give estimation on QA effort?   Answer Question

Transition Specialist Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J.P. Morgan.

Interview Details – There was a phone interview with the recruiter, then two face to face interviews with the overall hiring manager/over all project manager and also the project lead. The second face to face was more of a confirmation with other project leads and of the same type of questions. I did not feel the interview fully described the tasks involved because I do not think they knew, as the project was just developing at the time.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a current event that interest you and why?   View Answer
  • He also included a math question with time zone in the mix.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Since I worked with a recruiter I negotiated through him.

Mortgage Banker Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 days - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in February 2011.

Interview Details – Production focused. 2 interviews, 1 with lending manager and another with a senior lending manager.

Interview Question – What can you offer   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The initial 6 month additional incentive of .90 bps for payout.

Client Service Representative Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied online and interviewed at J.P. Morgan.

Interview Details – Interviewed with multiple hiring managers. Did not even hear back from or receive any feedback after reaching out to them. Just received a generic email 2 months later that I was no longer under consideration.

Interview Question – Unexpected. Which was your favorite employer and why.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 months - interviewed at J.P. Morgan.

Interview Details – Had to interview with 6 people before reaching the point of being offered a position. The process was long and exceptionally draining having it include 4 interview sessions ranging from 30 minutes (one) to 5 hours with a tremendous amount of redundancy in the questions and answers. I was interviewing in parallel with 3 other companies, my life was interviewing 12 hours 3 days in a row. Hiring process was ridiculously slow. From offer to start was over a month because even though I was "rushed through" they didn't get my drug screen results and took 10 days to contact me to even verify I had taken them, which I did the first day I could.

Interview Question – Who are the other companies you are interviewing and how much money are they offering you?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Simple, but inappropriate. I was made an offer based on knowing what the competition was offering, not what my value is.

Legal Specialist II Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a call within 24hrs. The recruiter was very friendly and informative. I completed a phone screening within 48hrs. My first in-person interview was within the next 5 days. It was a panel. Questions were straightforward, and it was important to tie my previous experience to the job I was applying for. The second interview was via telepresence within another week. Again, straightforward and very candid as to the job requirements and expectations of the person taking the position.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected. Tip: research the job as you are expected to understand the position requirements and tie your experience or lack thereof in a specific area. The recruiter can be very helpful in getting insight. Ask your interviewers questions to get a better feel as to specifics of the job before your 2nd round.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offer came in soon after I completed the final interview. Recruiter was easily reachable throughout the process. The title was changed mid-process from level III to level II. However the actual offer was at market rate and matching my experience, so negotiations were not necessary.

Licensed Personal Banker Interview

Licensed Personal Banker
Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J.P. Morgan.

Interview Details – I applied to this job via campus career website. After 2 days, I got an email from a branch manager in the area and chose two preferences for phone interview. On scheduled day, the same manager called me and asked very basic behavior questions.
1) Briefly explain about yourself
2) Why this position and why Chase
3) Experience in team activities
4) Sales experience
5) Experience in complicated manager
6) Experience in complicated customer and good customer
7) Role playing game - Please sell me anything you want. (iPhone, Mac, or Food, Anything)

So basically, all questions were related to sales oriented behavior because this job position is all about just sales in store.

Two days later, I got another interview request with a regional manager but turned it down because it's entry level sales job. Actually what I thought was a private banker, not a personal banker.

Interview Question – Sell something what you want.
-This was the most difficult question because I didn't have actual information about the product. (Oh, I chose iPhone 5s and said just plain words, like long battery, slick design..etc)
  Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Not the final offer but another interview request.
But I don't want to stand in front of the door to catch walk-in customers and sell bank products. If I want to go with sales job, I might go to insurance companies.

Interviews for Top Jobs at J.P. Morgan

Worked for J.P. Morgan? Contribute to the Community!

J.P. Morgan Videos

J.P. Morgan – Why Work for Us?

J.P. Morgan has been doing first-class business in a first-class way for more than 200 years. We have been a leading player in helping companies grow and markets develop throughout our history. We work in collaboration… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at J.P. Morgan interview questions and advice in Chicago, IL. All 87 interview reviews posted anonymously by J.P. Morgan employees and interview candidates.