J.P. Morgan

Average Difficulty
28 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in October 2012.

Interview Details – The first round interview were held at my campus recruiting center and was half behavioral/fit and half math. I come from a history background so they didn't ask anything too technical. They were really looking for the way you think and approach problems so don't worry if you don't come from a finance or business background.

The second round was at one of JPM's NY offices and consisted of two back-to-back half-hour interviews. Again, these were mostly behavioral with some math problems thrown in. In the second interview my interviewer gave me a kind of mini-case (like what you would get in a consulting interview) but it was very straightforward (you own a small coffee shop on a college campus, business is going bad: why is that and how can you fix it). They said I'd hear back from them in two weeks but I actually got an email asking to meet for a "follow up" a day later.

I think this follow up was actually a kind of secret third round, just judging by what the people I spoke with (who had been hired into this position two years before) said. I just meet three JPM employees for coffee at one of their NY offices. This "round" was entirely fit questions (Why finance? Why JP Morgan Chase?) and was really just a good chance for the candidate to build rapport with the "interviewers" and ask questions. A little nerve-racking but the people I spoke with were very nice so that helped.

Interview Question – Probably "Why finance" seeing as I am a history major, but I have genuine interest in finance so I think that showed. Don't try to fake on this one, have an honest answer or else you might as well just say "I want a nice salary."   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Basically no room for negotiation as I am coming an undergraduate entering into a program so the salary/benefits are basically set.

Newark, DE

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in January 2012.

Interview Details – Two back to back phone interviews

Interview Question – You have a bat and a ball. The bat is 1 dollar more than the ball and they both add up to 1.50. How much are each?   View Answers (5)

Negotiation Details – offer through the phone then email confirmation

Wilmington, DE

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in January 2012.

Interview Details – had three 1:1 interviews.. all pretty straight forward off your resume

had one technical question from a senior mgr

Interview Question – no difficult questions   Answer Question

Wilmington, DE

The process took a day - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in September 2009.

Interview Details – My interviewers were very nice people and they pretty much asked personality and behavioral questions. Also, they asked about my Excel skills.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Nope

Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in October 2009.

Interview Details – JPMorgan was recruiting at my University for a commercial banking analyst position. It started off by applying through my University's system. They required a minimum GPA or 3.5 a finance degree, and they preferred extra hours of accounting, which I had. I was invited to meet with two bankers at my University. It was mostly a screening process. I was then told a couple of days later that I was invited to the final round in Houston. The interview started at 9 and lasted until 2. It was several rounds of interviews with different groups of bankers (each had a different market). There was one stress interview where I was asked this question.

First the set up: There was a man and woman interviewing me. The man was wearing a black tie.

Woman: My colleagu here is wearing a pink tie, but he swears to me that he is wearing a black tie. Would you please convince him that he is wearing a pink tie.

That was one of the oddest questions I've ever had, and I froze. It took me a while to come up with something, and it was just awkward. I think it is the main reason why I wasn't given an offer. So heads up on some weird questions. They are just looking for you to keep your cool and keep talking calmly.

Interview Question – Why banking?   View Answer

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in November 2010.

Interview Details – First phone screening. Then one-on-one campus interview. Then a Superday at JP Morgan's headquarters. Mostly fit questions, there are a few brain teasers and technicals here and there. Interviews aren't too hard but some of the interviewers have very unpleasant personalities.

Interview Question – Why should we choose you instead of a 4.0 from Harvard?   Answer Question

New York, NY

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in November 2009.

Interview Details – The interview process lasted 1 day but was lengthy. I interviewed with the entire team which consisted of 5 people. The interviews last 30 minutes each. They all ask similar questions about your education, strengths, weaknesses, job experience, and skills. They stress honesty. They will likely go with the most experience candidate from what I have seen in this climate.

Interview Questions

Financial Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in November 2008.

Interview Details – The interview was average difficulty, but they did want me to know certain financial concepts to be able to have a discussion about my future duties. People at the company are quite pleasant and easy to talk to. The interviews went well, but another candidate got selected for the position due to her higher qualifications. JPM did not contact me after the 2nd interview to update me on the status - had to follow up myself eventually.

Interview Question – Technical questions. I was asked to define & explain certain terms/concepts.   Answer Question

Geneva (Switzerland)

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in December 2012.

Interview Details – Online application followed by online tests and a phone itnerview

Interview Question – Ask me 3 questions in order to define a portfolio strategy   Answer Question

Interviewed at J.P. Morgan

Interview Details – Received a request to schedule a phone interview after submitting my application online. We scheduled it for the following week. Spoke to a very nice person from HR for about 15 minutes. It turned out the job wasn't really what I was looking for and we decided it was best not to proceed.

Interview Question – Describe a time where you took a leadership role.   Answer Question