J.P. Morgan Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Aug 26, 2014
2,256 interviews

2.9

Oracle Database Administrator Interview

Phone interview and skype phone interview with strong accent and difficult to understand. The technical questions are not the way to looking for people. It is do it for process. Not really want to hire anyone.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in May 2014.

3 interviews, 1 with hiring manager, 6 with their colleagues including MDs, PMs, VPs, Head of Research. Most questions were nice chats about investment style, strategy, holding period in current job, approaches, how stock selection is done and on what criteria. Interviews too approximately 5 hours. The last round was a presentation which I didn't get to do reason being my weak analytical skills (which was rather a misunderstanding I think as I believe for most part they are fine and performance is there to prove it) and investment style (always thought the style is taken over as you join the firm but I think they are looking for a very specific person there).

Interview Questions
    • Describe why you would set a specific cost of equity for a bank in specific region when using GGM / have absolutely full understanding of valuation process theory.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in November 2012.

Applied online and had an assessment centre day in their London office. It went almost perfectly but because they're the best you have to be perfect. I was let down by my performance in the Group Discussion despite the other areas scoring very highly.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in October 2013.

This process is a joke. The job ad went up on a Friday afternoon, and I applied on a Sunday night. So the ad had literally been up only 48 hours. I had precisely the experience they asked for. Every bullet point they had, I hit. Keep in mind, this particular role required some very obscure skills, which I had as well.

One day later "Sorry you were not chosen to interview". OK. So are you telling me that after 48 hours (on a weekend, no less) you somehow got all the applicants for the role that intended to apply, looked over all their resumes, got in touch with the hiring managers, and then made your choice, choosing from the best applicants? Right. I just don't see how that is possible, because it's not. How do you reject someone before other people have even applied? Who are you rejecting them against?

My guess, is that there is some not too bright person who is not able to grasp what the role really is all about, and how many people out there can actually do that job, and just pushes the "reject" button without knowing who or what they are rejecting. Or maybe some higher ups are not too bright either and don't want someone with more experience to make themselves look bad. Either way. Yuck.

Interview Questions
    • None, because I am not convinced they even read your resume   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in October 2013.

There was online testing, competency questions and then a first round interview at their offices in London. Also I had to submit my CV. I had previously undertaken an insight visit at JPM, but this didn't help at interview, although I think it was important in me being able to get to interview in the first place
    The first round interview consisted of two 45 minute competency based interviews.

Interview Questions
    • How much money would a buffet car on a train travelling from Glasgow to London make, on average   Answer Question

Business Intelligence Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Jersey City, NJ
    Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I interviewed online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in August 2013.

Asked me a lot of questions on LOS cockpit etc

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I interviewed online. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in August 2013.

Initial communication came from a recruiter who reviewed my online application. An email with potential interview times was given to choose from and an appointment was set. Interview in Downtown Dallas (Plaza of the Americas) with the Hiring Manager. It seemed very disorganized as the floor and room were not reserved; pretty unprofessional for the potential career.

The interview questions were very standard which included situational and behavioral questions along with a little back and forth between myself and the manager. Make sure your ideas and examples are well thought out and aggressive as she had a tendency to over-speak everything I said. She also informed of the School that she went to and noted that almost every person on her team was from the same school. There were many trick questions thrown in about the company structure; my personal favorite was "What is the first and last name of our CEO?" -- hit or miss. The competition for this position was also very stiff with a noted "8 other applicants" I would be compared against.

The position requirements were 1-2 years of banking experience with a degree in business, prefferably Finance or Accounting. The posting also informed that only "recent college graduates" would be asked to provide their transcripts for review. However, this was plainly not true as I have several years of experience and they still requested the transcripts.

Several weeks went by before any word, then another email from the recruiter came through asking if I would be interested in another interview. We scheduled a time for what I understood was the initial position not knowing that she indeed filled the position and brought me in as a runner up. It was clear that she had no intention on pursuing my candidacy as she raced through the questions and cut me off multiple times; the manager even brought a 250 page 10K to the interview and asked me to explain to her what certain parts of it meant. After about 10 minutes of very awkward interviewing, she brought me to another room where I was administered a test and was given 30 minutes to calculate debt service coverage (dsc) ratios for a given company. Once that was finally over, she went through the test marking everything that was right or wrong and escorted me out of the building.

I was not offered the position, and frankly am delighted as I can see it would have been a very difficult place to deal with. The atmosphere was not welcoming in the least; I strongly encourage all potential applicants to really consider the benefits of the position to the stresses that you may endure.

Interview Questions
    • You have 30 minutes to complete this debt service analysis sheet given the company's 2012 YE financials. This is your calculator and definitions to some commonly used ratios; please inform me once you have completed.   View Answer

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 5 days - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in February 2013.

Phone interview, then two-three in person interviews. I didn't make it past the phone interview. The interview was with a brand new associate, he had to reschedule the phone interview 4 times because he either didn't have time to call or had forgot to do so. we finally had the interview at 9 pm.

Interview Questions
    • name the three main modules used to value companies, break down the DCF model and explain all its parts. There was also one accounting question he asked, if company A makes x amount of income over 5 years at a tax rate of X etc.   Answer Question

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at J.P. Morgan.

Went through college career services program. Info sessions were well-organized, and interview process straightforward

Interview Questions
    • Interviewer asked for a detailed walkthrough of all possible reasons of the subprime mortgage crisis. Difficult because of the scope of the question; no easy 30 second answer, and the fact that the interviewer knew a lot more about the actual situation than I could have.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Newark, DE
    Anonymous Employee in Newark, DE

I interviewed online - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in May 2010.

Tough Interviews - quizzed on excel forumlas and random finance questions.

Interview Questions
    • Asked about a VERY specific excel function to extract area of a spreadsheet....for a temp to hire position   Answer Question

Worked for J.P. Morgan? Contribute to the Community!