J.P. Morgan

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Getting the Interview

2,068 candidate interviews

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in November 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online and had an assessment centre day in their London office. It went almost perfectly but because they're the best you have to be perfect. I was let down by my performance in the Group Discussion despite the other areas scoring very highly.

Interview Question – Brain teasers   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in October 2013.

Interview Details – There was online testing, competency questions and then a first round interview at their offices in London. Also I had to submit my CV. I had previously undertaken an insight visit at JPM, but this didn't help at interview, although I think it was important in me being able to get to interview in the first place
The first round interview consisted of two 45 minute competency based interviews.

Interview Question – How much money would a buffet car on a train travelling from Glasgow to London make, on average   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Analyst
New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in October 2013.

Interview Details – This process is a joke. The job ad went up on a Friday afternoon, and I applied on a Sunday night. So the ad had literally been up only 48 hours. I had precisely the experience they asked for. Every bullet point they had, I hit. Keep in mind, this particular role required some very obscure skills, which I had as well.

One day later "Sorry you were not chosen to interview". OK. So are you telling me that after 48 hours (on a weekend, no less) you somehow got all the applicants for the role that intended to apply, looked over all their resumes, got in touch with the hiring managers, and then made your choice, choosing from the best applicants? Right. I just don't see how that is possible, because it's not. How do you reject someone before other people have even applied? Who are you rejecting them against?

My guess, is that there is some not too bright person who is not able to grasp what the role really is all about, and how many people out there can actually do that job, and just pushes the "reject" button without knowing who or what they are rejecting. Or maybe some higher ups are not too bright either and don't want someone with more experience to make themselves look bad. Either way. Yuck.

Interview Question – None, because I am not convinced they even read your resume   Answer Question

Business Intelligence Interview

Jersey City, NJ

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in August 2013.

Interview Details – Asked me a lot of questions on LOS cockpit etc

Interview Question – Why should we invest in ECC 7.0   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst
Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in August 2013.

Interview Details – Initial communication came from a recruiter who reviewed my online application. An email with potential interview times was given to choose from and an appointment was set. Interview in Downtown Dallas (Plaza of the Americas) with the Hiring Manager. It seemed very disorganized as the floor and room were not reserved; pretty unprofessional for the potential career.

The interview questions were very standard which included situational and behavioral questions along with a little back and forth between myself and the manager. Make sure your ideas and examples are well thought out and aggressive as she had a tendency to over-speak everything I said. She also informed of the School that she went to and noted that almost every person on her team was from the same school. There were many trick questions thrown in about the company structure; my personal favorite was "What is the first and last name of our CEO?" -- hit or miss. The competition for this position was also very stiff with a noted "8 other applicants" I would be compared against.

The position requirements were 1-2 years of banking experience with a degree in business, prefferably Finance or Accounting. The posting also informed that only "recent college graduates" would be asked to provide their transcripts for review. However, this was plainly not true as I have several years of experience and they still requested the transcripts.

Several weeks went by before any word, then another email from the recruiter came through asking if I would be interested in another interview. We scheduled a time for what I understood was the initial position not knowing that she indeed filled the position and brought me in as a runner up. It was clear that she had no intention on pursuing my candidacy as she raced through the questions and cut me off multiple times; the manager even brought a 250 page 10K to the interview and asked me to explain to her what certain parts of it meant. After about 10 minutes of very awkward interviewing, she brought me to another room where I was administered a test and was given 30 minutes to calculate debt service coverage (dsc) ratios for a given company. Once that was finally over, she went through the test marking everything that was right or wrong and escorted me out of the building.

I was not offered the position, and frankly am delighted as I can see it would have been a very difficult place to deal with. The atmosphere was not welcoming in the least; I strongly encourage all potential applicants to really consider the benefits of the position to the stresses that you may endure.

Interview Question – You have 30 minutes to complete this debt service analysis sheet given the company's 2012 YE financials. This is your calculator and definitions to some commonly used ratios; please inform me once you have completed.   View Answer

Investment Banking Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in February 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview, then two-three in person interviews. I didn't make it past the phone interview. The interview was with a brand new associate, he had to reschedule the phone interview 4 times because he either didn't have time to call or had forgot to do so. we finally had the interview at 9 pm.

Interview Question – name the three main modules used to value companies, break down the DCF model and explain all its parts. There was also one accounting question he asked, if company A makes x amount of income over 5 years at a tax rate of X etc.   Answer Question

Investment Banking Summer Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at J.P. Morgan.

Interview Details – Went through college career services program. Info sessions were well-organized, and interview process straightforward

Interview Question – Interviewer asked for a detailed walkthrough of all possible reasons of the subprime mortgage crisis. Difficult because of the scope of the question; no easy 30 second answer, and the fact that the interviewer knew a lot more about the actual situation than I could have.   Answer Question

Newark, DE

I applied online - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in May 2010.

Interview Details – Tough Interviews - quizzed on excel forumlas and random finance questions.

Interview Question – Asked about a VERY specific excel function to extract area of a spreadsheet....for a temp to hire position   Answer Question

Natural Adabas Developer Interview

Mumbai (India)

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in September 2009.

Interview Details – JPMC have many rounds of interviews. Firstly there are 2 technical telephonic rounds.
After clearing both rounds, you will need to travel (If Out of City) to their office for face to face rounds. First of all they will again take the technical written test. After 2 hours of written test, there were first Project Lead round and Project Manager Round. Even after all these interview rounds, interview process does not end here. If you clear all these face to face and technical written test, then you need to face the onsite client round.
If you satisfy all of them, then only you will be given the offer letter.

Interview Question – Most difficult was their written test. I was having more then 100 questions to be solved.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Houston, TX

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in January 2012.

Interview Details – Interview process is unbelievably long. Attended Quiz. Then I heard, it is going to be one interview and I will be done. Interview lasted for about exact 30 mins. Then they said, another interview, which supposed to last for 30mins, but took around55 mins. Back and forth, he asked questions. Then received an email saying they were impressed with 2 interviews. Got info that they want to do another 2 more interviews. I wanted the job. So, I said ok. I attended the 3rd interview. He was also drilling me like with lots of questions. He said, in another 30mins another person will be calling. He called and it was also the technical round. He was drilling me like anything. Told me to take a paper and pen and told me write down the commands. Whatever i answered, he argued for everything. Finally he got into my nerves, made me frustrated. Yelled at him finally saying a person with 10 years of real experience cannot even write this in a matter of 2 mins. Finally i did not get the job because of his feedback. You had to convince all the developers, i guess. I am a certified persons. Maybe they did not appreciate my certification. They would have thought that I am going to take up his job.

Interview Question – Refer to above. They should not go by one person's feedback. That person might not appreciate me on the current job.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at J.P. Morgan

Worked for J.P. Morgan? Contribute to the Community!

J.P. Morgan Videos

J.P. Morgan – Why Work for Us?

J.P. Morgan has been doing first-class business in a first-class way for more than 200 years. We have been a leading player in helping companies grow and markets develop throughout our history. We work in collaboration… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at J.P. Morgan interview questions and advice. All 2,068 interview reviews posted anonymously by J.P. Morgan employees and interview candidates.