J.P. Morgan

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Average Difficulty
2,222 candidate interviews

New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in February 2011.

Interview Details – Very thorough, very friendly people, a bit quant

Interview Question – Some brain teasers   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Accept it, amazing company

New York, NY

I applied online - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in October 2013.

Interview Details – This process is a joke. The job ad went up on a Friday afternoon, and I applied on a Sunday night. So the ad had literally been up only 48 hours. I had precisely the experience they asked for. Every bullet point they had, I hit. Keep in mind, this particular role required some very obscure skills, which I had as well.

One day later "Sorry you were not chosen to interview". OK. So are you telling me that after 48 hours (on a weekend, no less) you somehow got all the applicants for the role that intended to apply, looked over all their resumes, got in touch with the hiring managers, and then made your choice, choosing from the best applicants? Right. I just don't see how that is possible, because it's not. How do you reject someone before other people have even applied? Who are you rejecting them against?

My guess, is that there is some not too bright person who is not able to grasp what the role really is all about, and how many people out there can actually do that job, and just pushes the "reject" button without knowing who or what they are rejecting. Or maybe some higher ups are not too bright either and don't want someone with more experience to make themselves look bad. Either way. Yuck.

Interview Question – None, because I am not convinced they even read your resume   Answer Question

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in May 2014.

Interview Details – 3 interviews, 1 with hiring manager, 6 with their colleagues including MDs, PMs, VPs, Head of Research. Most questions were nice chats about investment style, strategy, holding period in current job, approaches, how stock selection is done and on what criteria. Interviews too approximately 5 hours. The last round was a presentation which I didn't get to do reason being my weak analytical skills (which was rather a misunderstanding I think as I believe for most part they are fine and performance is there to prove it) and investment style (always thought the style is taken over as you join the firm but I think they are looking for a very specific person there).

Interview Question – Describe why you would set a specific cost of equity for a bank in specific region when using GGM / have absolutely full understanding of valuation process theory.   View Answer

Houston, TX

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in January 2012.

Interview Details – Interview process is unbelievably long. Attended Quiz. Then I heard, it is going to be one interview and I will be done. Interview lasted for about exact 30 mins. Then they said, another interview, which supposed to last for 30mins, but took around55 mins. Back and forth, he asked questions. Then received an email saying they were impressed with 2 interviews. Got info that they want to do another 2 more interviews. I wanted the job. So, I said ok. I attended the 3rd interview. He was also drilling me like with lots of questions. He said, in another 30mins another person will be calling. He called and it was also the technical round. He was drilling me like anything. Told me to take a paper and pen and told me write down the commands. Whatever i answered, he argued for everything. Finally he got into my nerves, made me frustrated. Yelled at him finally saying a person with 10 years of real experience cannot even write this in a matter of 2 mins. Finally i did not get the job because of his feedback. You had to convince all the developers, i guess. I am a certified persons. Maybe they did not appreciate my certification. They would have thought that I am going to take up his job.

Interview Question – Refer to above. They should not go by one person's feedback. That person might not appreciate me on the current job.   Answer Question

Analyst
City of London, England (UK)

The process took a day - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in March 2011.

Interview Details – met with the Head of the Desk, ED and VP and VP of another desk
4h interview
why sales, why you
a lot of technical questions, went really in details, obviously if you choke on one question they will try to eff you up even more.

even though i didn't get the job, it helped a lot experience wise, i realised what i needed to work on and how they would actually conduct an interview of the kind.

Interview Question – decompose and explain each component of the B/S model   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied online and the process took 2+ months - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in May 2008.

Interview Details – 2 rounds:
- 1st round: 1 numerical test and 2 one-to-one interviews with analysts or associates.
- 2nd round: 1 presentation, 1 meeting with 4 other people in the assessment center (you need to defend your point of view on the presentation you did before), and 2 one-to-one interviews with associates or VPs.

Interviews contained brain teasers, background questions, motivations, behavioral questions, etc.. Check the Vault Guide to finance interviews to get prepared!

Interview Question – You must defend this given point of view against the other candidates.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation at all.

Technical Analyst Interview

Technical Analyst
Syracuse, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in September 2013.

Interview Details – Gave my resume to a recruiter at career fair at university and was called soon after to schedule an interview.

Interview Question – How to list files inside a folder with SQL Server?   View Answer

Teller Interview

Teller

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in January 2012.

Interview Details – asked about sales experience and resume

Interview Question – Describe a time when you have had to deal with a difficult customer.   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Senior Business Analyst

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in May 2011.

Interview Details – There was an initial IQ test at the job HR site. Then there was a HR screening test. Then the hiring manager scheduled and interview, All this took about 3 weeks. Then the second interview was a phone interview with my managers co manager or boss.

Interview Question – What value can you add to the company?   View Answer

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Senior Business Analyst
Dallas, TX

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in June 2010.

Interview Details – Phone interview was 35 minutes. In person was 2 hours, mostly conversations, got offer the next day.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – easy.

Worked for J.P. Morgan? Contribute to the Community!