J.P. Morgan Investment Banking Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Sep 4, 2014

3.5

36 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan.

Fairly straightforward two-round interview, the first with a handful of VPs and MDs in the FIG group, the second round with all my future team members in the Broker/Dealer subsector. Nothing out of the ordinary, no brainteaser or 'gotcha' questions; a fairly stress-free and pleasant experience, geared more towards determining personal compatibility than technical skill.

Interview Questions
  • In the second round my MD asked about my heritage and veered a little into politics, slightly uncomfortable but overall not a big deal   Answer Question
Nothing to negotiate at the analyst level

Other Interview Reviews for J.P. Morgan

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Newark, DE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, DE

I applied online - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in May 2010.

Tough Interviews - quizzed on excel forumlas and random finance questions.

Interview Questions
    • Asked about a VERY specific excel function to extract area of a spreadsheet....for a temp to hire position   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in January 2008.

The majority of full-time candidates are taken from the summer analyst pool. Interviews for summer analysts can range from two 30 minute interviews to a full slate of six 30 minute interviews.
    Potential candidates are expected to attend several on-campus events prior to submitting their resumes
    Candidates are usually told day of or next day whether or not they received an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Where do you think the federal funds rate will be in 6 months   View Answer
    Did not negotiate for offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in January 2011.

After applying online, applicants had to go through resume screening then 2 rounds of interviews (one via phone, and another one in-person at the regional office). HR was extremely helpful and responsive to email inquiries, and did a wonderful job of following up with your interview and application process. The 2 interviews consisted both "fit" and technical questions, including basic accounting and finance principles (earnings reports, DCF and WACC calculation, comps...) as well as a few brainteasers and guesstimates. The interviewers were all VP level or above (some EDs and even MDs) and they were all very friendly and professional. I was very impressed with how they portrayed their company and its work culture!

Interview Questions
    • Estimate the amount of snow that fell on Manhattan last night.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in January 2012.

Once you were selected for a phone interview, someone contacted you within about 5 days by both phone and then email if you could not be reached by phone. Then the date and time for the interview was set up and followed through with.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in January 2012.

Two guys interviewed me. Asked the typical "why investment banking?" question and some technical questions. Very short interview. only 20 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • How do you value a your farmhouse if oil was discovered underneath?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in March 2011.

Landed the interview through the University Career Center. Over all good experience. J.P. Morgan was very open and honest through the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Walk me through your resume.   Answer Question
    • What separates you from all the other candidates that will be interviewing today?   Answer Question
    J.P. Morgan is a top firm that takes care of their employees.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in January 2011.

2 1:1 interviews that focused on personality traits as well as resume checks and questions that focused on past experience.

1 Group problem solving interview which consisted of a skills test centered around the ability to manage

Interview Questions
    • In order to improve overall performance at a bank, what programs would you implement?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in February 2011.

Very nice guy. Asked no technical questions. Interested in whether I was in it for the long term.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in June 2009.

I interviewed for an investment banking summer internship and they asked me many mathematics questions such as: What is 87^3 to see how fast I could do it? Then they asked me about difficulties I had in the past and the ways that I dealt with them? They also wanted to know if I could work with a team.

Interview Questions
    • What is one experience from which you have grown personally?   Answer Question