J.P. Morgan Investment Banking Associate Interview Questions

Updated May 14, 2015

3.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at J.P. Morgan (New York, NY).

Interview

Positive experience . Very focused process standard interview process: 1 phone screening with the hiring manager with veto on the hiring process. Most important I would say, 2 technical onsite interviews with guys from different teams. Mostly technical questions and resume questions. If you have a financial background or experience, one of the interviewers will ask about it. Algorithms, OOP, Design patterns, system design questions.

Interview Questions

• Describe one of the system you was working on.   Answer Question
  • Give example of 2-3 design pattern you used in your code.   Answer Question
  • Write a Fibonacci function with recursion.   Answer Question
  • You have an array with n number find 2 numbers from this array with given sum.
    Can you do it in O(nlogn), O(n) time ?

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for J.P. Morgan

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at J.P. Morgan (Houston, TX).

Interview

They have preferred placement vendors; who will test you over and above, what is required for the role. (eg) They pay for couple online exams for DBA, etc.,
    Then the manager and few team members invited for telephone interview, in which they went over my resume and asked technical questions based on the skills: RDBMS, Unix, Windows, Shell scripting, Business Objects, etc.,
    Then the vendor arranged for an in person interview.

Interview Questions

• ** In person interview gave me the surprise, that the job was for application support and not really DBA. :) Same manager and team members, explained the job role.
      Two more managers from different teams, interviewed me individually, pretty much intended to check the attitude, to fit the company culture.
      Overall my interview was not tough.

Answer Question

Negotiation

I just asked for some additional moving expense. No issue. They offered.

Investment Banking Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at J.P. Morgan.

Interview

Process involves a lot of networking, both with your school's alumni base and with people in the group you're interested in. It is almost impossible to get into the bank if you don't come from a target school or don't find alumni who will push you through.

Interview Questions

• Variety of technical questions - Walk me through a DCF, Qualities of a good LBO, etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Coming through the MBA recruiting process there is very little negotiation. You come in with a class of 60-80 other MBAs all at the same salary/signing bonus/start date

Investment Banking Associate Interview

Interview

Just called walked in said a few things we had a drink and I got the job

Investment Banking Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at J.P. Morgan in April 2014.

Interview

First round has both technical and situational types of questions. Second round was basically random talk with interviewers, and exchange views about current economy and investment etc. Most of our interviews are based on competency, so be prepared to think on your feet. Also, be prepared to answer questions about previous jobs and your experience solving problems and leading teams. Take the time to think before you answer.

Investment Banking Associate Interview

Interview

Very Professional interview and I liked they way the interviewer asked questions closely and candidly. He really took an interest in what I had to say and listened very patiently to answer to all of the questions.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Investment Banking Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at J.P. Morgan in October 2013.

Interview

This was a first round interview made in a target business school for a summer associate position. Unfortunately it seems that the process was extremely biased and decision had been made prior of the interview. We only got 15 minutes of time to pitch ourselves, tell why banking, and ask questions. There were presumptions made already about me even before I entered, which might be because I am an international candidate. I got cut in the middle of a question and received even less than the 15 minutes of allocated time since the interviewer was running behind her schedule.

Investment Banking Associate Interview

Interview

The interview process at JP Morgan was very well run and very informative and helps understanding the different aspects of the jobs and requirements. I appreciated the great interaction with the different people that I met and the sense of teamwork that I got. The work balance in these jobs is a real challenge and I was pleased that it was not concealed at the time that I interviewed.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at J.P. Morgan (New York, NY) in December 2012.

Interview

First round interview at university. Second round on site in NYC.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J.P. Morgan (New York, NY) in February 2011.

Interview

I was invited to interview and did okay on it but then they asked me for transcripts and additional background information.

Interview Questions

• Pre-deal situation
      BuyCo plans to acquire 100% shares of SellCo in a stock-for-stock transaction.
      BuyCo has a net income of $300,000 and 100,000 shares outstanding
      Market shareprice of SellCo is $60.0
      Pre-deal EPS = $2.0
      Pre-deal P/E = 30.0x

The deal
      BuyCo agrees to pay a premium for control of 30%, so the offer price for one SellCo share is 1.3*$60.0 = $78.0
      Stock-for-stock exchange ratio is $78/$50 = 1.56 of BuyCo shares for one SellCo share
      BuyCo issues 1.56*50,000 = 78,000 new shares to exchange them for all the SellCo shares outstanding
      Total shares of NewCo = 100,000 (pre-deal shares of BuyCo) + 78,000 (new shares) = 178,000 shares
      NewCo expected EPS = Total net income/Total shares outstanding = ($300,000+$100,000)/178,000 = $2.25
      NewCo expected shareprice = (P/E of BuyCo)*(expected EPS) = 16.7x*$2.25 = $37.45

Post-deal situation
      EPS of NewCo fall from $3.0 to $2.25, so the deal is 25% dilutive for BuyCo shareholders
      BuyCo shareholders own 100,000/178,000 = 56.18% of NewCo