J.P. Morgan Investment Banking Associate Interview Questions & Reviews

10 interviews

3.5

10 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Investment Banking Associate Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at J.P. Morgan.

Process involves a lot of networking, both with your school's alumni base and with people in the group you're interested in. It is almost impossible to get into the bank if you don't come from a target school or don't find alumni who will push you through.

Interview Questions
  • Variety of technical questions - Walk me through a DCF, Qualities of a good LBO, etc.   Answer Question
Coming through the MBA recruiting process there is very little negotiation. You come in with a class of 60-80 other MBAs all at the same salary/signing bonus/start date

Other Interview Reviews for J.P. Morgan

Investment Banking Associate Interview

Just called walked in said a few things we had a drink and I got the job

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 months - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in January 2010.

Interviewed as an MBA student. Process was high touch and I probably had 10+ informal interviews before the formal process started. Formal process involved a first round interview with 2 senior bankers and then second round was 2 interviews with MDs.

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed through a recruiter - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in December 2012.

First round interview at university. Second round on site in NYC.

Investment Banking Associate Interview

Very Professional interview and I liked they way the interviewer asked questions closely and candidly. He really took an interest in what I had to say and listened very patiently to answer to all of the questions.

No negotiation.

Investment Banking Associate Interview

I interviewed through college or university - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in October 2013.

This was a first round interview made in a target business school for a summer associate position. Unfortunately it seems that the process was extremely biased and decision had been made prior of the interview. We only got 15 minutes of time to pitch ourselves, tell why banking, and ask questions. There were presumptions made already about me even before I entered, which might be because I am an international candidate. I got cut in the middle of a question and received even less than the 15 minutes of allocated time since the interviewer was running behind her schedule.

Investment Banking Associate Interview

The interview process at JP Morgan was very well run and very informative and helps understanding the different aspects of the jobs and requirements. I appreciated the great interaction with the different people that I met and the sense of teamwork that I got. The work balance in these jobs is a real challenge and I was pleased that it was not concealed at the time that I interviewed.

Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in February 2011.

I was invited to interview and did okay on it but then they asked me for transcripts and additional background information.

Interview Questions
    • Pre-deal situation
      BuyCo plans to acquire 100% shares of SellCo in a stock-for-stock transaction.
      BuyCo has a net income of $300,000 and 100,000 shares outstanding
      Market shareprice of SellCo is $60.0
      Pre-deal EPS = $2.0
      Pre-deal P/E = 30.0x

The deal
      BuyCo agrees to pay a premium for control of 30%, so the offer price for one SellCo share is 1.3*$60.0 = $78.0
      Stock-for-stock exchange ratio is $78/$50 = 1.56 of BuyCo shares for one SellCo share
      BuyCo issues 1.56*50,000 = 78,000 new shares to exchange them for all the SellCo shares outstanding
      Total shares of NewCo = 100,000 (pre-deal shares of BuyCo) + 78,000 (new shares) = 178,000 shares
      NewCo expected EPS = Total net income/Total shares outstanding = ($300,000+$100,000)/178,000 = $2.25
      NewCo expected shareprice = (P/E of BuyCo)*(expected EPS) = 16.7x*$2.25 = $37.45

Post-deal situation
      EPS of NewCo fall from $3.0 to $2.25, so the deal is 25% dilutive for BuyCo shareholders
      BuyCo shareholders own 100,000/178,000 = 56.18% of NewCo
      SellCo shareholders own 78,000/178,000 = 43.82% of NewCo

View Answer

Investment Banking Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I interviewed online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at J.P. Morgan.

Online application. Then online tests. Then two interviews on site. Then a full day assessment centre, testing number skill, presentation skills, debating skills, soft skills.

Interview Questions
    • Questions included - why do you want to do this, tell me about yourself, tell me a time you achieved more than was asked, tell me a time you worked with difficult colleagues and how you resolved the situation, tell me how you saw the global financial crisis, tell me how you think the industry and the bank should respond to it, tell me a person you admire and why, tell me what inspires you, do you have any questions for me... also heard of "how many ping pong balls would fit on the deck of the Titanic"... "what was JPM's lowest share price in the last 12M"   View Answer
    Phone call to tell me I had the job, with salary details. Accepted on the spot.

Investment Banking Associate Interview

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at J.P. Morgan in September 2011.

First investment banking interview, asked about markets in East Asia.

Interview Questions

Worked for J.P. Morgan? Contribute to the Community!