J.P. Morgan Interview Questions in London, England

Updated Jul 7, 2015

3.2

Interest Rate Derivatives Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at J.P. Morgan (London, England (UK)) in July 2015.

Interview

Two interviews. Both of them very technical, all about interest rates, yield curves and investment strategies according to the current economic situation. A few about previous experience. Some questions about dies and puzzles. Each interview lasted about 30 minutes. This was just the first stage, second stage was three interviews, half an hour each.

Interview Questions

• How would you implement a steepening or flattening strategy? If Greece defaults which bonds would you buy? How would you hedge a 2 year bond with 10 year bonds? If the interest rate curve is upward sloping, is the forward curve above or below the yield curve?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at J.P. Morgan (London, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online then contacted by the hiring manager for a phone interview which lasted about half an hour. Talked about background and motivation for applying to the job and JP Morgan. A week later was invited for an interview on site, which lasted an hour. Mixture of motivation and competency questions. The interviewers were nice and friendly, which gave me postive experience of the company.

Interview Questions

• How good are you with Excel? Why this role/department in particular?   1 Answer

Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at J.P. Morgan (London, England (UK)).

Interview

2 interviews, phone then on site questions on: Team work communication skills analytical skills Initiative taken knowledge about firm and industry simple brainteasers case study: 3 retail food stores - brief descriptions of each- only 1 page quite concise - some charts ( quite unreadable) -some tables - with balance sheet. Analyse: pitch sell/long/hold.

Technology Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at J.P. Morgan (London, England (UK)).

Interview

This was the first round of interviews (after an initial application screening). It consisted of two interviews - both interviewers were from technology teams. The first one focussed on my prior experience and the kind of projects I have worked on before. The second one was focussed on competency questions.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever made compromises in projects? How did that go?   Answer Question
    • Have you ever had to change the way that you deal with people for a particular team member?   Answer Question
    • Long description of one of my projects.   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at J.P. Morgan (London, England (UK)) in January 2015.

Interview

I applied for the Summer Asset Management Internship - Sales and Business Development (which is the UK Fund Sales Division). I had to fill in the usual application, including a cover letter and attaching a CV. There was no online testing. Therefore, it took a lot longer to hear a reply than most other banks, as they sort through all the applications manually. I got an email telling me I got through to the first round, which was a 15 minute phone interview. The interview was with an MD in the division. Although the MD did ask me some questions, a lot of it was to do with the programme and he talked for the majority of it. In the interview, he described the four main sections with the UK Fund Sales division you can get an internship in - take note of the divisions and what they do as they may ask you which of the divisions they have mentioned best suits you (although the info is available on their internship website, with a bit of digging around). I heard back the next day and got invited to an assessment centre for a weeks time. The first exercise was a 'thinking/brain teaser' exercise, which you cannot really prepare for. They give you 8 sets of cards and each set is a different colour. A set has around 20 cards with information on them. Some cards have blanks on them and you have to use the information on the other cards to fill in the cards with the blanks. The second part of the day was a presentation. You were taken to a room and given 40 minutes to read and plan to present to some JPM employees. The booklet you were given contained some information about a company and some possible smaller companies they could invest in. They point of the exercise was to rank the smaller companies in order of your preference and say why you like it and why you don't etc. The next part of the day was a group exercise. You are split into teams of up to 6 and taken to a board room, where there were three JPM employees. In the room was a piece of paper with four possible projects your team could undertake. After lunch is the individual interviews. You have three individual interviews with three different members of the team, from different levels. All my interviewers were so nice and I never felt uncomfortable. They will ask you the basics, why JPM, why asset management, what does an asset manager do, what does JPM asset management do, what is sales and business development, what role would you prefer being part of in the sales and business development team. The other questions were mainly based on personality and like work experience, societies, teamwork, leadership, individual projects you've done etc. In my last interview, I got asked about what I would invest in .. stocks, bonds, emerging markets etc and I kind of fluffed that up but if you prepare for this question really well then you could be very impressive. Overall I would say that the successful candidates who got the internship, in my opinion, got it due to their past work experiences etc. The two people I knew who got a place had either done a year in industry, or worked in an asset management firm before deciding to come to university. So what they're looking for is technical knowledge, existing experience and a good personality rather than top grades from a top university. Obviously this is just my own opinion.

Interview Questions

• What would you invest in? How is JPMAM structured? Which part of UK fund sales would you like to work in?   Answer Question

Quantitative Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at J.P. Morgan (London, England (UK)) in January 2015.

Interview

3 stages, 2 Phone interviews and one on-site interview. First 2 interview are over the Phone las about an hour and a half each. Its a very technical interview solely quantitative. One is expected to read John Hull, 8th edition

Interview Questions

• Phone interviews concentrate quant question, mathematics, programming. Very technical interview. Eg. What is Brownian Motion? Characteristics of Brownian Motion, Derivatives Modelling and Pricing related question.   Answer Question

Quantitative Research Interview

Application

Interview

I applied online in december and got a email deux one months later. I had four phone interviews, two math based and two computer science based with interviewers from different teams. All of them were of average difficulty and I had to wait a whole week between each interview. The interviewers were either friendly or very neutral.

Interview Questions

• How would you find the continuous subarray within an array which has the largest sum.   Answer Question

Winning Women Spring Week Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at J.P. Morgan (London, England (UK)) in January 2015.

Interview

Application involved uploading a CV and an optional cover letter. However, you had to answer two questions about what you would gain from the experience. Applicants that passed this was offered a phone interview. Interview was with a senior member of staff for around 20-30 minutes. Typically you are told three days before the interview the specific date, time and the employee who is interviewing you.

Investor Services Summer Interview

Application

Interview

Got an invitation for interview in November for end of January; 2 x 30 min interviews with VP and exec, very friendly and was a great experience talking to them! :) Just competency and motivation questions. Didn't get accepted for final round assessment centre :( Still my dream company, will try again next year, hopefully!

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time when you had to go against your principles? What do you want to achieve at J.P. Morgan? Example of an achievement you're particularly proud of.   Answer Question

Investor Services Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J.P. Morgan (London, England (UK)) in January 2015.

Interview

1. Interview with two members of the department. Basic competency based questions. Teamwork, leadership. One important achievement for you. What do you think we do in investor services. 2. Assessment day. Two interviews. Again competency based + brain teasers (How many windows are there in this building, how many airplanes land on Heathrow in a day, probability that a pregnant woman has a baby girl). Second part was the group exercise. You are given three subjects and have to choose which one to discuss. Very subjective and dependant on the team's composition.