J.P. Morgan Interview Questions in New York, NY

Updated Apr 22, 2015

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at J.P. Morgan (New York, NY) in August 2014.

Interview

Two phone interviews followed by an in-person (Half day, 4 people)

Location was in Brooklyn--they recently moved a lot of people to MetroTech Center. I didn't like the area surrounding the office, but the office itself was pretty nice. Pretty quiet, low-key atmosphere. There is no business presence in Brooklyn as far as I can tell, so no trading floors etc.

People were nice and relaxed.

Interview Questions

• 2 eggs and a building problem. A building has height n and you have 2 eggs. At a certain floor N, an egg dropped from this floor will break. Find a strategy to find the floor N at which eggs will start breaking, while minimizing the number of drops. Note that the key is that you have 2 eggs.   1 Answer
    • Given a list and bucket size, write an algorithm which returns a list of lists each of which contains [bucket size] number of items. It's not guaranteed that the bucket size will evenly divide into the length of the list. How can you unit test this? What are the base/edge cases?   1 Answer
    • Given an unsorted list of size n-1 that contains all but one number between 1 and n, write an algorithm that will detect the missing number. Can you do this in constant time? What about if there were k numbers?   1 Answer
    • Implement a deadlock in any programming language.   1 Answer
    • Implement list comprehension in Python. (Assume they are simple ones-nothing fancy)   1 Answer

Had a better offer

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at J.P. Morgan (New York, NY).

Interview

*Submitted resume to career center at school
    *Received email from JP Morgan (on a Sunday night) informing me that they would like to interview me over the phone on the upcoming Friday
    *Interview process was two 30 minute phone interviews back to back with VPs in operations
    *Asked standard behavioral questions and if I knew microsoft excel
    *1.5 weeks after the interview, received phone call with offer

After accepting offer:
    Needed to complete background checks, pass a drug test, and get fingerprinted

Interview Questions

• *Where do you get your news from
      *How competent are you in excel (pivot tables, if statements, macros, working with large datasets)
      *Why operations
      *What classes have you taken in school; when do you graduate
      *Prior work experience; how many hours a week do you work
      *How you solved a dilemma when two managers required you to complete conflicting tasks
      *Community service; volunteer activities; extra-curricular clubs

Answer Question

Risk Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at J.P. Morgan (New York, NY) in June 2014.

Interview

Some of the interviewers knew me from a previous job. Met several people for 30 minutes each. 3 week process from first interview to offer. I also know others at jpmc and got a positive view on the working culture.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not overly tough.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at J.P. Morgan (New York, NY).

Interview

Initial communication from the recruiter was quick and good. My 2 interviews were scheduled back-to-back on the same day and no additional interviews. My group does not foster a good environment professionally or personally. My office floor is very basic, no perks. Work culture within my group is terrible, but it might not be the same everywhere else.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was not able to negotiate.

Compliance At I Chase Plaza Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at J.P. Morgan (New York, NY) in May 2014.

Interview

An agency firm called about this role. Stated it was contract to hire and gave job description. 48 hours later I learned it was JPMC and they wanted an interview in person.

Interview Questions

• What would be an asset that makes you a unique candidate for this role?   1 Answer

Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at J.P. Morgan (New York, NY) in May 2014.

Interview

I had someone give me his direct number & email after seeing the posting online. The secretary shot me down. Had a brief phone interview from a nice lady, and then scheduled a meeting in Fidi the same week. He rescheduled for meeting at the midtown office last minute. This is the very end of May, so things were quick. He had me brought in. Basically, he liked my grit. It was a 15 minute conversation over coffee with little meaningful dialogue. I told him the truth when he asked why I applied to his job opening; that it was the only summer internship posted(this was end of May). He didn't know why he received 100+ apps in a week. He promised to call me back in a week and said that whoever he interviews will be included in the 2 yr Ops Development program later on. He never followed up. Never answered/replied to calls/emails.

He tried to label me an 'adrenaline junkie'.

Interview Questions

• He asked me "Why Operations?" about 5 times. Have a good example for why you're a team player. What do you do for stress relief?   Answer Question

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at J.P. Morgan (New York, NY) in May 2014.

Interview

3-4 weeks. Phone interviews with entire team for lateral hire. Spoke with various team members as to their current work and how I would be integrated into the team. They were interested in why I would want to work at JP Morgan and whether I could hit the ground running from day one.

Interview Questions

• Please speak to one of your deals and how did you contribute?   1 Answer

Received a different offer.

Credit Risk Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at J.P. Morgan (New York, NY) in May 2014.

Interview

five people gave me interview. one of them is the director of the team. questions are very easy. Basically about your resume and previous experience. one or two trick questions, like you have one 5-litter bottle and one 3-litter bottle, how to get 4 litter water.

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at J.P. Morgan (New York, NY).

Interview

One on Campus Interview 1 hour,30 mins with each interviewer.

Interview Questions

• If you noticed an error in a deck 5 minutes before the presentation what would you do?   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation with internships.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J.P. Morgan (New York, NY) in April 2014.

Interview

Pretty straight forward process. Met with a few different members of the group and talked mostly about my experience and what my views were on the market. Some of the questions caught me by surprise but if you work in the industry they shouldn't be too hard to answer.

Interview Questions

Was offered another position at another firm