J.P. Morgan Personal Banker Interview Questions

Updated Jul 1, 2015

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (Sacramento, CA) in June 2011.

Interview

Two part interview process. Met with the branch manager for the first interview and then was called a few days later for a secondary interview with the district manager. Can be single part with only the branch manager, varies. Once hired on had to do a criminal background check via fingerprinting with another company and then a drug test with a 3rd party as well.

Interview Questions

• Asked how I handled difficult customers.   1 Answer

Negotiation

After the second interview, I received a call with what my yearly base salary would be before tax and additional commission, probably could have negotiated it but didn't. Negotiated start date.

Other Interview Reviews for J.P. Morgan

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (New York, NY) in May 2011.

Interview

I went to the first interview but forgot my resume. The guy interviewing me was turned off at that point. He became aggressive and blunt with his comments. Chase than called me back for a second interview which I was surprised. When I went there the lady had went on vacation so I wasted my time going out there. The second time, she wasnt there again so someone else had to interview me. It was so quick, not even 10mins. Never got a call from them but later learned from a friend who got the job that even though Chase does not want you, they call everyone back just to finish the interview process. But thats such a waste of time for people really looking for work. Dam* Chase just be real and say you forgot your resume and its unforgivable and let me move on with my life. Dont send me on a Chase for no reason.

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (Brooklyn, NY) in May 2011.

Interview

First, a phone interview. After the phone interview with the HR representative an interview with a District Manager was scheduled. Most people meet with two people at this interview, but because I didn't I was contacted a week after the DM interview by a branch manager who I interviewed with that day. It was not long after this that I received the offer. The first interview ALWAYS involves role play. The interview with the DM sells the job very well and makes you think you'll earn $60,000+ and of course doesn't mention "call night" where personal bankers have to stay until 8:00 on Tuesdays to call and harrass customers. The BM I met with on the 2nd interview was great, unfortunately I was not put in his branch. When I received the offer I was told that I'd be working at a certain branch.. I decided to go one day before I started just to see how long it'd take from home, only to find out that the branch had burned down a year prior. After calling back, I received my actual branch.

Interview Questions

• I told her I used to work in a shoe store, she said, "Sell me a shoe." This was the role play portion of interview   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't even think to negotiate, but I do know someone who did and was able to raise the base salary by $3,000. It's not an extravagant amount but why not earn more if you can?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake in the Hills, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (Lake in the Hills, IL) in May 2011.

Interview

The phone interview was approximately 25 minutes in length, and the questions were pretty generic: Why do you want to work for Chase? What is your sales background? After answering the recruiter's questions, she gave information about the position requirements, salary, etc. I was then informed the next step would be to interview with the Branch Manager. Interview with Branch Manager took place a few days later. This interview was a lot more in-depth (i.e., role playing scenarios, behavioral-based questions). The Branch Manager told me that he would contact the recruiter with his feedback, and that the recruiter would contact me if the process would or would not go further.

Interview Questions

• I have been referred to you by one of your current clients to provide a specific service. Please go through the scenario of you selling your services and closing the deal.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Bronx, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (Bronx, NY) in May 2011.

Interview

Initially interviewed for a teller position but was refereed to personal banker position after meeting with assistant manager. Was then require to complete online personal banker assessment. Interviewed with branch manager then was district manager a few days latter.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not bother to negotiate being I was extended this position after initially applying for a lesser position. I was asked at the final interview with the district manager what my current pay rate. I was honest and had no leverage being i was given a higher offer then what I currently made.

Anonymous Employee in Anaheim, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (Anaheim, CA) in May 2011.

Interview

It was an extensive interview process, which I found a good one. I was recommended to work by an existing manager (which has no pull) so I went online, filled out a profile, took an aptitude test, and applied for a specific job in a specific city. I was contacted within a week by a very friendly and easy to talk to recruiter. She was very busy and told me to anticipate a longer wait than usual. I was invited to interview with a branch manager and she loved me. All the questions seemed normal except for the one about the PVC's (points towards commissions) she said it was expected that a banker make between 500-1000 pvc's and if I didn't reach that what would I expect her to do... Ok so I knew already to expect high pressure sales. After that I was invited in for another interview with the regional manager, she was so busy. She was on her cell phone during half the interview not looking me in the eye for a good portion, complaining that someone got her coffee instead of hot chocolate. So I figured her to be a diva and as any good salesman could do adjusted my approach and catered to her "diva" style. Needless to say I got an offer letter a week later and came in for an orientation where I was fingerprinted and then asked to go take a drug test. I would not be able to start work until both were complete. The background check took 4-5 days and the drug test was required to be taken before then. I did like that they did not require me to go within 24 hours for the drug test. I was also working at another job and had very little extra time. So I was able to go on a day off and take an urine test.

Interview Questions

• What would you expect of me if you do not hit your numbers? What would you expect of me if you continuously do not hit your numbers.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (Chicago, IL) in May 2011.

Interview

3 interviews total- first a phone interview, then an in person at the college campus, and the final was a multistep process. We met everyone we were interviewing with (around 15) and introduced ourselves and what we knew that was interesting about the company- then we interviewed with the district manager (1:1), then we had a luncheon with corporate members.

Interview Questions

• Wanted to know what makes us special, and how to sell something we cannot live without   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Staten Island, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (Staten Island, NY) in April 2011.

Interview

tell them about yourself, experience, ALOT OF SCENARIOS what would you do to please customers and make great customer service

Interview Questions

• what would you do to please customers and make great customer service   1 Answer

Negotiation

none

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (Detroit, MI) in April 2011.

Interview

I had the first interview on campus, and a few weeks later i was invited to the super day second interview along with 10 other student candidates. We were interviewed by one of the district managers. Next, they drove us to an in-store bank to check out the atmosphere. Be prepared to sell your favorite product during interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at J.P. Morgan (Chicago, IL) in March 2011.

Interview

I applied for the job a week ago. I got a phone call from the chase recruiter. She took my brief interview of what I do at my current job, how do i handle customer conflicts. She told me she will forward my info and resume to a branch manager who will then contact me. Same day few hours later, I got a phone call from the branch manager and we set up an interview for the next week. Week later which was yesterday, I had an interview. I was interviewed only by the branch manager, he asked me a few questions. here is what I rmr: 1. Why you want to work for chase? 2. What is your selling approach? 3. Sell me something that you have sold before (role playing). He was the customer and I was suppose to sell him. 4. Has it ever been that you failed because of your team member and what did you do about it? 5. Has it ever been that you were not able to meet goals at your previous work and what did you do about it? 6. How did you promote your product to make sales meaning what marketing steps did you take to increase revenue. 5. Why should I choose you over other candidates I have interviewed already? what sets you apart? 6. What do you want to do in future like career wise...? 7. What do you like about selling? or like about selling the most? In the end he asked me do you have any questions for me and of course as I am suppose to I did ( I asked him about 3). If I can be a help to anyone, I will be pleased to help. Let me know. Just respond to this and I Will respond back. BTW I wore a nice suit with tie. Remember managers are also human they go for looks too :) Be as professional and confident as possible. Be yourself.