J.P. Morgan Personal Banker Interview Questions

Updated May 5, 2014

2.9

148 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bronx, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at J.P. Morgan in June 2011.

I was called by a recruiter, she asked basic questions about my resume. Set me up with a regional manager interview. She said they were going to set an interview with the branch manager, never happened. Never received a call back from them. I wish they would at least sent me an email in order to tell me i was not chosen or anything that reflected that.

Other Interview Reviews for J.P. Morgan

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at J.P. Morgan in May 2011.

First, a phone interview. After the phone interview with the HR representative an interview with a District Manager was scheduled. Most people meet with two people at this interview, but because I didn't I was contacted a week after the DM interview by a branch manager who I interviewed with that day. It was not long after this that I received the offer. The first interview ALWAYS involves role play.
    The interview with the DM sells the job very well and makes you think you'll earn $60,000+ and of course doesn't mention "call night" where personal bankers have to stay until 8:00 on Tuesdays to call and harrass customers. The BM I met with on the 2nd interview was great, unfortunately I was not put in his branch. When I received the offer I was told that I'd be working at a certain branch.. I decided to go one day before I started just to see how long it'd take from home, only to find out that the branch had burned down a year prior. After calling back, I received my actual branch.

Interview Questions
    • I told her I used to work in a shoe store, she said, "Sell me a shoe."
      This was the role play portion of interview
        Answer Question
    I didn't even think to negotiate, but I do know someone who did and was able to raise the base salary by $3,000. It's not an extravagant amount but why not earn more if you can?

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at J.P. Morgan in May 2011.

I went to the first interview but forgot my resume. The guy interviewing me was turned off at that point. He became aggressive and blunt with his comments. Chase than called me back for a second interview which I was surprised. When I went there the lady had went on vacation so I wasted my time going out there. The second time, she wasnt there again so someone else had to interview me. It was so quick, not even 10mins. Never got a call from them but later learned from a friend who got the job that even though Chase does not want you, they call everyone back just to finish the interview process. But thats such a waste of time for people really looking for work. Dam* Chase just be real and say you forgot your resume and its unforgivable and let me move on with my life. Dont send me on a Chase for no reason.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake in the Hills, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lake in the Hills, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at J.P. Morgan in May 2011.

The phone interview was approximately 25 minutes in length, and the questions were pretty generic: Why do you want to work for Chase? What is your sales background?

After answering the recruiter's questions, she gave information about the position requirements, salary, etc. I was then informed the next step would be to interview with the Branch Manager.

Interview with Branch Manager took place a few days later. This interview was a lot more in-depth (i.e., role playing scenarios, behavioral-based questions).

The Branch Manager told me that he would contact the recruiter with his feedback, and that the recruiter would contact me if the process would or would not go further.

Interview Questions
    • I have been referred to you by one of your current clients to provide a specific service. Please go through the scenario of you selling your services and closing the deal.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bronx, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J.P. Morgan in May 2011.

Initially interviewed for a teller position but was refereed to personal banker position after meeting with assistant manager. Was then require to complete online personal banker assessment. Interviewed with branch manager then was district manager a few days latter.

Interview Questions
    I did not bother to negotiate being I was extended this position after initially applying for a lesser position. I was asked at the final interview with the district manager what my current pay rate. I was honest and had no leverage being i was given a higher offer then what I currently made.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Anaheim, CA

It was an extensive interview process, which I found a good one. I was recommended to work by an existing manager (which has no pull) so I went online, filled out a profile, took an aptitude test, and applied for a specific job in a specific city. I was contacted within a week by a very friendly and easy to talk to recruiter. She was very busy and told me to anticipate a longer wait than usual. I was invited to interview with a branch manager and she loved me. All the questions seemed normal except for the one about the PVC's (points towards commissions) she said it was expected that a banker make between 500-1000 pvc's and if I didn't reach that what would I expect her to do... Ok so I knew already to expect high pressure sales. After that I was invited in for another interview with the regional manager, she was so busy. She was on her cell phone during half the interview not looking me in the eye for a good portion, complaining that someone got her coffee instead of hot chocolate. So I figured her to be a diva and as any good salesman could do adjusted my approach and catered to her "diva" style. Needless to say I got an offer letter a week later and came in for an orientation where I was fingerprinted and then asked to go take a drug test. I would not be able to start work until both were complete. The background check took 4-5 days and the drug test was required to be taken before then. I did like that they did not require me to go within 24 hours for the drug test. I was also working at another job and had very little extra time. So I was able to go on a day off and take an urine test.

Interview Questions
    • What would you expect of me if you do not hit your numbers? What would you expect of me if you continuously do not hit your numbers.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Staten Island, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Staten Island, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at J.P. Morgan in April 2011.

tell them about yourself, experience, ALOT OF SCENARIOS
    what would you do to please customers and make great customer service

Interview Questions
    • what would you do to please customers and make great customer service   View Answer
    none

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at J.P. Morgan in April 2011.

I had the first interview on campus, and a few weeks later i was invited to the super day second interview along with 10 other student candidates. We were interviewed by one of the district managers. Next, they drove us to an in-store bank to check out the atmosphere. Be prepared to sell your favorite product during interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took a dayinterviewed at J.P. Morgan in March 2011.

I applied for the job a week ago. I got a phone call from the chase recruiter. She took my brief interview of what I do at my current job, how do i handle customer conflicts. She told me she will forward my info and resume to a branch manager who will then contact me. Same day few hours later, I got a phone call from the branch manager and we set up an interview for the next week. Week later which was yesterday, I had an interview. I was interviewed only by the branch manager, he asked me a few questions. here is what I rmr:
    1. Why you want to work for chase?
    2. What is your selling approach?
    3. Sell me something that you have sold before (role playing). He was the customer and I was suppose to sell him.
    4. Has it ever been that you failed because of your team member and what did you do about it?
    5. Has it ever been that you were not able to meet goals at your previous work and what did you do about it?
    6. How did you promote your product to make sales meaning what marketing steps did you take to increase revenue.
    5. Why should I choose you over other candidates I have interviewed already? what sets you apart?
    6. What do you want to do in future like career wise...?
    7. What do you like about selling? or like about selling the most?

In the end he asked me do you have any questions for me and of course as I am suppose to I did ( I asked him about 3).

If I can be a help to anyone, I will be pleased to help. Let me know. Just respond to this and I Will respond back.
    BTW I wore a nice suit with tie. Remember managers are also human they go for looks too :) Be as professional and confident as possible. Be yourself.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverside, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Riverside, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at J.P. Morgan in March 2011.

I applied online and was asked to schedule an interview with a recruiter. During this first interview, it was a bit rushed, seeing as it was supposed to be 30min; however at the 15min mark someone, presumably her boss, knocked on the door and pointed at his watch. After seeing this, she then rushed me out the door, as there were other candidates waiting to be interviewed. The bad part about the interview was that she gave me no chance to ask questions, and did not have business cards. She asked me questions regarding my selling ability and thats pretty much the extent of her questioning. She also asked questions about my resume, asked me to "sell her this pen", and even asked me "tell me about a time in which you sold something to someone, and you knew they didnt need it?" The last question was strange to say the least! I get an email like 2 weeks later saying they want me for a second interview however the name on the email was addressed to a completely different person, and when I replied to ask if they made a mistake and used the wrong email address, I received a response back apologizing for mistaking me name. I then received a new email, saying the same exact thing, just with my correct name. A week or so later I had an interview with a district manager. He seemed easy going, and asked me the same questions, and more role-playing. He wanted to take me out to the lobby to greet customers but he said the "time was up". He told me that the recruiter will contact me for more information about the interview process. I have yet to hear from anyone and my last interview was in early March. My perception of this specific district is one of disorganization, however I doubt most Chases' are as disorganized as this one. Had I been offered employment, I'd decline and apply to a Chase in a different district.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time in which you sold something to someone, and you knew they didnt need it?   View Answer