J.P. Morgan

Updated Dec 11, 2014

3.1

30 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Risk Analyst Interview

applied on line, then face to face interview, then AC. 1st round interview: 2 behavior interviews. AC: 2.5hours case study, write a report. then role play. Then lunch and break. then 2 rounds of individual interview.

Other Interview Reviews for J.P. Morgan

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, DE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, DE

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at J.P. Morgan in December 2014.

Bear in mind this is for the Chase Leadership Development Program Risk Management Track.
    Let me precede this review with sharing the fact that I made a glassdoor account simply to give JP Morgan credit where it's due. I enjoyed my experience with the JP Morgan interview process so much that I decided to contribute to glassdoor and share my experience. I first spoke with a campus recruiter at my school's career fair, and he gave me a great perspective on the company and the possibilities that they have to offer. I submitted my resume to him and expressed great interest in moving forward with the application process. We got along great and set the foundation for collaboration. For irrelevant reasons, I didn't have time to submit the application through the JP Morgan Chase website, so I never got the ball rolling in that regard, and no activity happened for about 2 months. Then, the same recruiter I spoke with at the career fair personally reached out to me and invited me to apply, saying the company was interested in me and urging me to apply through their website. The same day, I got an invitation for a phone interview for that week. I interviewed over the phone for half an hour and it went pretty well. It wasn't too structured in the sense that he wasn't simply reading off a list of questions he had. It was very interactive and he was working with my responses and following up on the replies I was making. After about a week and a half, I got invited to the Chase superday in Wilmington, DE. Although they gave me pretty short notice for this, they did provide travel accommodations so it wasn't too stressful. The moment I finally got to the Chase offices the environment was super welcoming. From the head security desk to the cafe workers, everyone had an agreeable way about them. I then met the very hospitable and kind recruiting program coordinator and he escorted all the candidates to a room to wait for our interviews. This is where we got a chance to meet some of the employers and meet some of the other candidates. Everyone in the "holding tank" was kind and enjoyable. I made great friends and had some good laughs, but also got a chance to gain some great insight from some of the current employers who were interacting with us. Then I did my two interviews. The first interview was completely unconventional and we just had a flowing conversation about stuff he wanted to talk about. He quizzed me on some math concepts, which I didn't mind. He started drawing graphs and inquiring about properties of curves, etc. This went great and he told me at the end that he was going to put in a strong recommendation for me. The second interviewer was a bit more structured and he had a list of questions he wanted to ask me, but it wasn't too cut throat or anything. He also seemed to have been pleased from our interview. Overall, from the moment I first talked to anyone in Chase to the moment I waved goodbye to the head security desk, everyone at Chase was very helpful and kind - definitely the kind of environment one would like to work in.

Also, another point I want to make but am too lazy to go and put it in the right place in my piece is the fact that while the human aspect of JP Morgan was outstanding, the professional work that they do also stood out to me. Both my interviewers described to me the work that the department undertakes and it seemed all very interesting and rigorous.

Interview Questions
    • Not difficult just unexpected: He drew a # of units sold vs. cumulative profit curve and asked "If I wanted to find the number of units which start to lose profits, how would I do it?"   View Answer

Risk Analyst Interview

Face to face interview, AC, I am still waiting for coming AC, will update soon after I finish it. two interviewer in the first round interview, general questions, no specific tech, people in JP looks so nice and very enjoyable interview experience.

Risk Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at J.P. Morgan.

referred by an alum and applied online. first contacted by HM but it was more like a pre-screening (no behavioral questions at all) and then forwarded to an AVP one day after for a phone interview focusing on SAS, according to the HM. the AVP was an Indian and had strong accent so he was a bit hard to understand, but he acted very nice and patient throughout the interview, though he was late for more than 10 minutes. He asked me about two projects on my resume with open-ended questions, i.e. you used the term "model fitting" in your first project and tell me what it is, AND you say you know logistic regression so tell me a little about logistic regression. For the LR question at first he clearly said he wanted to hear concepts so I started talking about equations and concepts, but before long he stopped me and said he didn't expect me giving lectures. So I asked whether he wanted me to incorporate concepts in the context of projects but he didn't respond so there was an awkward silence. So I proceeded and talked about the response variable I used and why, 4 predictors, partitioning, and the Data Mining tool I used, etc. Then he asked about model evaluation. When I finished, again he didn't make any sound for a long time, even after i hello-ed him once since I really thought I lost connection or what. All of a sudden he said "Excellent" and started introducing the department and the role. He said he'd finished all his questions and there was the atmosphere to put it an end then he started asking if i had SAS experience (I really have the feeling that he already forgot that part but all of sudden he remembered). Honestly I was surprised because 1) that should be the primary purpose of the interview and Chase is known for its "craziness" about SAS, and 2) I have SAS all over my resume and on top of it I say I have SAS certificates. Especially when I mentioned that I have SAS certificates on my resume he acted as if it was the first he ever noticed that. I was able to answer one of his two questions and he said I shouldn't worry about the second one because it was not important. What disappointed me is today someone I know in his group says he evaluated me bad because he thinks I wasn't prepared at all especially regarding my resume. Explicitly he says that I wasn't familiar with my own resume, and I wasn't able to tell enough about 4 predictors I used in LR so it was a sign that I don't know the project well. What else can I say? You may say I'm not prepared in SAS but in my own resume? Seriously? And never has he ever shown any interest in those 4 predictors after I mentioned them, so I figured maybe even if I said enough about them he would've found other excuses to turn me down.

Interview Questions
    • SAS- if you have a data set of 1000 obs and 2 columns, fist being lengths (?) and second being RGB color. first how can you tell whether lengths are unique to colors and second how can you tell what length corresponding to what color (I wasn't sure about the second question because honestly his accent stopped me from comprehending it. I've tried a few times rephrasing and clarifying it but I failed)   View Answers (3)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westerville, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westerville, OH

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at J.P. Morgan.

I interested with a VP and 2 managers at a round table. Standard situational questions in which most began with, "tell me about a time..."

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you were given an assignment with an impossible deadline and how to you meet it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, DE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Newark, DE

I applied online – interviewed at J.P. Morgan in March 2014.

I applied on the career website, got a call the next day to set up a phone interview, I had phone interview 2 days later which lasted 10 mins, was very simple, why jp morgan? work experience? tell me about your self, what sets you apart from other candidates? salary expectation. got an email 2 days later to go in for an interview the following week, that was also very enjoyable, just a conversation about my strengths & weaknesses, how i handled stressful situation, and my career goals. most behavioral questions.

no negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at J.P. Morgan in December 2013.

Overall, the process was very smooth, and enjoyable. There wasn't really anything particularly unexpected. The first communication I received was an email requesting a time to set up a phone interview. At the end of the phone interview, the person interviewing me invited me in for an in person interview and emailed me some helpful hints. Again, there wasn't really anything out of the ordinary in the in person part. Two people interviewed me, and both were very pleasant. All of the questions are in the S.T.A.R. Format, meaning Situation, Task, Action, Result. So, "Tell me about a time when you had to deal with an angry customer," and other similar questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when something went very wrong, and you were the one held responsible.   Answer Question

Risk Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at J.P. Morgan.

pretty much standard. one presentation and followed by 5 individual face to face interview. not too hard. prepare for the presentation, which is far more important than others

Risk Analyst Interview

Contacted by a recruiter. Asked for the schedule for a short talk, but never heard anything further...

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, OH

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at J.P. Morgan in April 2013.

First phone interview with HR and then second interview with HM. Final on-site interview with VP and AVPs.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions during on-site interview. But keep asking you to ask questions back.   Answer Question