J Sainsbury Customer Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Jul 15, 2014

2.8

6 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Customer Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at J Sainsbury in June 2014.

Completing online questions, arranging an interview over the phone with HR, doing the interview the following day.

The interview was conducted in a group, so I had the ability to talk to other applicants waiting as well.

In the first stage, we watched a DVD which was roughly half an hour in length, with four sections.
The first section was a multiple choice, very similar to the online assessment, except it had a video to go alongside it. We had a lot of time to think and answer the questions (about 20 seconds after the scenario was played on the DVD and the multiple choice answers were read out). We also got an example question on each of the four sections.
The second section was 'attention to detail', where we had to find up to two things that were wrong on the DVD.
The third was a numeracy test which was very, very simple. Questions were like 'I have 5 apples but I want 7 more, how many do I have now?'. There was only one question which involved times rather than adding or subtracting.
The last section was a personality test which didn't take very long at all. We had about 10 minutes to do it. I had some time to look over the answers.

In the second stage, one at a time, we were interviewed with basic legal checks, making sure we knew what the job role required, and our clothing sizes and other similar things.
Questions asked included 'why do you want to work at Sainsbury's', 'why do you want to be a (what you applied for)' and 'tell me about yourself'.

The whole process takes up to an hour and you have nothing to worry about! The staff were very nice, including the person interviewing me.

Interview Questions
  • A couple of questions on the 'attention to detail' section (you had to find two things in each question).   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for J Sainsbury

Customer Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at J Sainsbury.

Only one phone interview and one to one interview with the manager of the store. Nothing too special onlu acouple of competency questions. The hiring was really quick and the most time was spent on the online application because I had to upload all of my details, they didn't accept just a CV. The questionnaire was simple in struxture but kind of long.

Interview Questions
    • Describe one situation where you had to lead one time and what action you took.   Answer Question

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Durrington, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durrington, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at J Sainsbury in December 2012.

everyone applies using their online portal which can occasionally crash. This part of the application is the basic bits plus a quick questionnaire about basic things that will happen in sainsburys - no knowledge is required all the answers just require common sense. Then you get an email saying you've passed and call to arrange a phone interview, my phone interview was about 3 questions long but before the questions started i was offered a 1:1 interview at the store the following day. The interview is basic bits plus a quick 'test' which is basically similar questions to the phone interview - so they seem easier. Finally you wait for an offer - mine came through 3 days after the interview.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where you had to work in a team - does not have to be work related.   Answer Question

Customer Assistant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at J Sainsbury in January 2008.

Jobs ads go through Job centers and the company's official website.

Interview Questions
    • Can you work on night shift if possible?   View Answer
    get a job first, then you can transfer to different role through Personel within the company if luck.

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Brighton, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brighton, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at J Sainsbury in October 2011.

I've applied to this job online, in a month I got called in for an interview. The store manager was relaxed, young, helpful.

Customer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

The process took a day - interviewed at J Sainsbury in December 2010.

First of all you fill up the online Assessment. After passing that you get an email and a SMS message saying that you can call to book an appointment for the interview. At the interview, you are again assessed by a DVD test. In this test you are shown different scenarios and are asked to record your responses in those situations. Once you passed the DVD test as well you are interviewed and after that it is decided whether you get the job or not. If you are successful, you get a call or message saying that you should call Sainsburys to know your induction date, time and place. After that you are part of Sainsburys.

Interview Questions

Worked for J Sainsbury? Contribute to the Community!