J Sainsbury General Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Jul 10, 2014

2.4

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

General Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at J Sainsbury.

I applied online and a week later was asked to arrange and interview which I went to two days later. My interview was with one of the department managers and he was really friendly. Also watched a DVD and answered questions about what I saw. What problems I saw, how to handle a situation, basic maths questions and some simple personality questions.

Interview Questions
  • Simple questions, just one question caught be off guard ''why do you want this role in particular?''   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for J Sainsbury

General Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bromley, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bromley, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at J Sainsbury in May 2014.

I applied online on the website and received an email saying I was sucessful the day after my application! I was invited for an interview the following week. I was asked questions about the company, my previous experience, flexibility etc. I think there was another part of the assessment regarding a video but I only had a face to face interview with the section manger. I was told that I was successful after the interview and received an email 2 days later to confirm this.
    My induction was in another store as there is no trainer in this store and it lasted for two days.

Interview Questions
    • What can you tell us about the link about fairtrade and Sainsbury's.   View Answer

General Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lewisham, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lewisham, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J Sainsbury in October 2013.

First you have to make an account online and do the online assessment, after you pass that you will get an email asking you to call them for a phone interview. The interview lasted 10 mins and ask typical questions to show evidence of teamwork, why do you want to work for sainsburys and what interested you about the job. During each question the interviewer wrote down my responses. Within an hour, I got an email inviting me to an assessment which consisted of the a dvd assessment about errors, and what you would do in situations and basic maths and a personality questionnaire. After that had a one on one interview where i was asked common questions such as teamwork questions and why I want the job. I think overall it was not a difficult interview.

General Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huddersfield, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Huddersfield, England (UK)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at J Sainsbury in May 2013.

First of all I had a phone conversation which resulted in a face to face interview 3 days later, the interview process was pretty quick and they offered me the job afterwards.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you will fit into the working environment. How are your social skills/working with others? What makes you suited for this particular job.   Answer Question

General Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at J Sainsbury.

Applied online and was then given a phone interview.
    Simple questions such as leadership and when have you made something easier?
    after this brought to a gorup interview where you are given a case study and told to review it as a group.

Only negotiation on shifts

General Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Derby, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Derby, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at J Sainsbury in May 2012.

Applied online, got a text offering an interview, arranged that over the phone and went to the store for a quick maths test followed by a casual interview. Then got a text within the week offering me the job. Next up was a 2 day induction before starting work the next day.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was fairly casual and just asked about myself, why I've applied for the job and what I knew about the company/retail.   Answer Question

General Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at J Sainsbury in May 2011.

Applying for the position required filling in an application form and a personality test. I received a phone call about a week later telling me I had been selected for interview and arranged a date and time.

When I arrived for the interview I was given a pass at the Customer Service Desk and had to wait at the front of the store near the checkouts until I was called. I then had to go to the staff canteen and sit with a few other interviewees before being called into a bigger room with a seat for each of us.

We were each given tests revolving around customer situations and how we would deal with these, including meal suggestions which I found a little strange. We had to fill these test in silently but the interviewer left the room at one stage enabling us to discuss it with each other. The questions contained answers which were all suitable, so we had to number the answers from "most suitable" to "least suitable". When chatting with the other interviewers we compared answers and I had answered some questions slightly differently, however I kept them as they were as I knew they were right haha.

We then had to wait back in the staff canteen before being called in to be interviewed individually. There was one interviewer and one notetaker and both were quite professional but not unfriendly. There were a few standard interview questions but nothing difficult at all. I was then asked to explain why I had answered each question in the test as I did.

I received a phone call a few days after the interview offering me a job and arranging the start time and date.

Each colleague is expected to attend two full days of training before starting the job which is a killer, but all you have to do is try not to fall asleep. There are no more tests or questions at this stage. None of the other people I had met at the interview stage ended up working there so I don't know if they weren't offered the job or if they didnt accept.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you answer the questions on the test paper as you did?   View Answer

General Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at J Sainsbury in December 2010.

I applied online and was contacted by email the same day and was asked to complete a couple of competency based tests. Next day got an email saying I had passed the initial screening test and I should look forward to receiving a call from their recruitment team, after that just had to go to the store I was going to be working in for a short 15 minute interview and that was it.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was basically to see if I was numerate and had a bit of common sense.   Answer Question