J Sainsbury

49 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Customer Assistant Interview

Customer Assistant

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at J Sainsbury in June 2014.

Interview Details – Completing online questions, arranging an interview over the phone with HR, doing the interview the following day.

The interview was conducted in a group, so I had the ability to talk to other applicants waiting as well.

In the first stage, we watched a DVD which was roughly half an hour in length, with four sections.
The first section was a multiple choice, very similar to the online assessment, except it had a video to go alongside it. We had a lot of time to think and answer the questions (about 20 seconds after the scenario was played on the DVD and the multiple choice answers were read out). We also got an example question on each of the four sections.
The second section was 'attention to detail', where we had to find up to two things that were wrong on the DVD.
The third was a numeracy test which was very, very simple. Questions were like 'I have 5 apples but I want 7 more, how many do I have now?'. There was only one question which involved times rather than adding or subtracting.
The last section was a personality test which didn't take very long at all. We had about 10 minutes to do it. I had some time to look over the answers.

In the second stage, one at a time, we were interviewed with basic legal checks, making sure we knew what the job role required, and our clothing sizes and other similar things.
Questions asked included 'why do you want to work at Sainsbury's', 'why do you want to be a (what you applied for)' and 'tell me about yourself'.

The whole process takes up to an hour and you have nothing to worry about! The staff were very nice, including the person interviewing me.

Interview Question – A couple of questions on the 'attention to detail' section (you had to find two things in each question).   View Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Holborn, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J Sainsbury.

Interview Details – Sent CV to MD via email., received call back next day. Brief discussion. Arranged a London meet up. General chat. About Cv, work history, education, how do iplan to stay. Living arrangements as I would have to re locate. 2nd interview with Manager at the head office, holborn. Started 3 week later.

Interview Question – Give 3 strengths?   Answer Question

Bromley, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 6 days - interviewed at J Sainsbury in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online on the website and received an email saying I was sucessful the day after my application! I was invited for an interview the following week. I was asked questions about the company, my previous experience, flexibility etc. I think there was another part of the assessment regarding a video but I only had a face to face interview with the section manger. I was told that I was successful after the interview and received an email 2 days later to confirm this.
My induction was in another store as there is no trainer in this store and it lasted for two days.

Interview Question – What can you tell us about the link about fairtrade and Sainsbury's.   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Team Leader Interview

Team Leader
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J Sainsbury in June 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online on 03/06/14, general info & multiple choice of different situations & choose best/worse choice. Got a text on 05/06/14 giving a ref no & asking me to call an 0845 number for a phone interview which would last approx 20 mins. They asked for confirmation of my 2 references and basic questions like why do you want to work for sainsburys, any holidays dates booked etc...really basic stuff about your past work experiences.....Their HR department sounded like a call centre!!! I could hear other staff asking the same questions to others!! I was told I was successful & invited to a face to face interview which I had today.
I obviously got there 15mins early to make a good impression & then was kept waiting in the staff room for another 15 mins. (I think the manager who was interviewing me had to suspend someone!!!) The first question I was asked was why Sainsburys (big surprise there!!!) then I had to tell her my work history, I told her where I had worked & why I left but no other details. Then she asked me 3 scenario based questions which they leave you to read & complete on your own & write in yourself so you don't get stressed out/panic which are basic & I think a really good idea to allow you to do yourself. She did say she would come back in 10mins & discuss the reasons and results of my actions but I managed to write those down too - if your a slow reader/writer ask for more than 10 mins!!!
The final part of it was a role play!!! I almost panicked @ this but then I thought what the hell- I'm here anyway-might as well try my best. My scenario was to deal with a member of staff that had a complaint against him by a customer through a letter-how would I deal with it, what would I say etc. Gave me 10 mins to read through the letter & think of what I would say & do. I highlighted the problems raised in the letter & then had to 'deal' with the collegue in person whilst the interviewer observed.
Luckily (or not) I've had to deal with this kind of situation before & they were impressed by my approach-mid way through the guy i was 'dealing' with (another store manager) said to the interviewer -I like her style!!
I didn't let it make me big headed though & carried on. after it was all done she said that the process was to mark up the points i got & then inform HR.
I was told it's very rare but she's gonna tell them yes for sure!!! Yippee!!! I won't hold my breath until I sign a contract & pass the probation period which is 12 weeks (standard).
In my opinion it was one of the easiest interviews i've ever had.
I think they look at your personality more than anything else & whether or not you are a genuine person who will fit in to their teams.
Good luck to anyone who applies & don't panic!!!!

Interview Question – None - I wasn't asked much at all as I gave a clear history of my experiences & it seemed to be enough. Shame cos I did a ton of research!!!
She only really asked why Sainsburys?
  View Answer

General Assistant

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at J Sainsbury.

Interview Details – I applied online and a week later was asked to arrange and interview which I went to two days later. My interview was with one of the department managers and he was really friendly. Also watched a DVD and answered questions about what I saw. What problems I saw, how to handle a situation, basic maths questions and some simple personality questions.

Interview Question – Simple questions, just one question caught be off guard ''why do you want this role in particular?''   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

General Assistant Night Shift Interview

General Assistant Night Shift
Bristol, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at J Sainsbury in November 2013.

Interview Details – Firstly type in Sainsbury's jobs in a search bar, check for jobs you are interested in apply answer the questions online, if you get a decent pass rate you will be called for an interview providing you have 2 references and a work permit, the interview is divided in to 2, 1st 15 minutes you are sit and talk to a manager there he asks you few questions about what you think you will do in this job and few questions about Sainsbury's, how far you live away from the store, method of transport and how long it will take you to travel. 2nd phase you will be tested using 2 video movies and a basic mathematics questions. that's basically it good luck.

Interview Question – what do you know about Sainsbury's... an open question   View Answer

Administration Support Interview

Administration Support

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at J Sainsbury in April 2014.

Interview Details – All went well at the start. I applied on-line for an Administration type role. Passed the on-line test and was invited for an interview. When I arrived on the day, I was well greeted and taken to the interview room which was off of the Colleagues Mess room. The process was explained to me and I had to take some more tests which were DVD based. That was OK but the interviewing manager had another meeting / engagement to attend as well so I was shown this DVD, given all the correct writing materials and left on my own to go through the process. The sound on the television / monitor was very low and I was struggling to hear especially when a bus or lorry went pass the window and the racket that was going on in the mess room with the Colleagues / Staff. I do not think I did very well as within 2 days I received an email saying I did not meet the requirements of Sainsbury's recruitment standard.

Interview Question – At the one to one interview stage (following the tests), I discovered that this was not an admin role as advertised but a General Assistant role.   Answer Question

Derby, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J Sainsbury in May 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online, got a text offering an interview, arranged that over the phone and went to the store for a quick maths test followed by a casual interview. Then got a text within the week offering me the job. Next up was a 2 day induction before starting work the next day.

Interview Question – The interview was fairly casual and just asked about myself, why I've applied for the job and what I knew about the company/retail.   Answer Question

Customer Assistant Interview

Customer Assistant

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at J Sainsbury.

Interview Details – Only one phone interview and one to one interview with the manager of the store. Nothing too special onlu acouple of competency questions. The hiring was really quick and the most time was spent on the online application because I had to upload all of my details, they didn't accept just a CV. The questionnaire was simple in struxture but kind of long.

Interview Question – Describe one situation where you had to lead one time and what action you took.   Answer Question

2020 Future Leaders Logistics Programmer Interview

2020 Future Leaders Logistics Programmer
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at J Sainsbury in February 2014.

Interview Details – Online Application, Online Tests, Telephone interview, Assessment Centre (how far I got), Final interview (I think)

Telephone interview asked why this programme, what sets it apart from other programmes like it (i.e. Tesco's or Morrisons etc.), and a few leadership competency based questions.

Assessment centre was about 5 hours long and almost all the exercises were based around a ficticious store refurbishment. There was a group exercise, written exercise, role play presentation, role play talking to colleagues and a final competency based interview.

Interview Question – I found the written exercise hard. It was extremely tight for time and I didn't write much down. It was the worst part of the day for me.   Answer Question

Worked for J Sainsbury? Contribute to the Community!