J Sainsbury

Updated Dec 16, 2014
Updated Dec 16, 2014

2.3

Bakery Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at J Sainsbury in December 2014.

I thought I'd post this as I was looking for the same answers before I went to the interview and couldn't find much!

First of all, I applied via Sainsbury's website by filling out the application form. This form was relatively straightforward, except for the test at the end. The test is purely about customer service, so I would recommend possibly going through the questions and thinking about them before actually applying to a position that you are interested in. This test asks for the best and worst answers to potential situations, and is fairly obvious if you try to think logically from a retail perspective.

For the interview, I went to Customer Services and signed in, then waited for my interviewer. My interviewer took me to a room (I think it was a meeting room) and told me that he would ask me a series of questions, and then play a DVD which I needed to answer questions about.

The series of questions were incredibly easy. I was asked:
    - How flexible I was with hours.
    - Whether I had worked for the company before.
    - What my uniform sizes were.
    - When I could start work.
    - What interested me about the position.
    - My mode of transport.
    - Whether I knew anyone who worked there.
    - If I had done the online application myself.
    - What I had done since leaving school.
    - Whether I had the right to work in the UK.
    - What documents I have brought along to the interview for ID.
    - If I had any other jobs.

After this, I was set a DVD and given a work booklet, two pencils, an eraser, and was offered a drink of water, which I accepted. The DVD/booklet consisted of four parts:
    - Customer service
    - Scenarios
    - Maths
    - Personality

The customer service part required me to watch a short clip of someone working in Sainsbury's interacting with a customer (or about to), and then I needed to rank the three answers of what to do given on my worksheet with 1 being the best thing and 3 being the worst. An example of this was:
    - A woman is struggling with her trolley and bags near her car. Do you:
    --- Stop what you're doing and help them.
    --- Ask them if they want help.
    --- Ignore them and continue with your work.
    This section was by far the most difficult of the four.

The scenario part required me to watch a short clip and identify what was wrong within it. The example question showed discarded boxes on the floor, and a spillage which hadn't been cleaned up.

The maths part required me to answer simple maths questions, such as; if a customer has 5 bunches of flowers with 10 flowers in each bunch, how many flowers do they have in total? These questions were multiple choice, and, even if you didn't really know the answer, you can take an educated guess (but they were extremely simple).

The personality part was the final part of the interview process, and required me to choose an option ranging from "Strongly Disagree" to "Strongly Agree". I was advised at this point to choose either of those options, and not to go for the ones in between - I guess they don't like anyone sitting on the fence about things!

I found out the same day that I had passed and been given the job. Good luck to everyone out there who is thinking of applying, and I hope this helped you guys out!

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't one! I was expecting all sorts, but it was incredibly easy :)   View Answer

Sales Assistant Clothing Department Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dunblane, Scotland (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dunblane, Scotland (UK)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at J Sainsbury in November 2014.

Applied online and had to answer questions for different situations on what would be the best option and then the worst. Got a text and email saying I had been invited to interview. Rang HR to organise this, they were very helpful. Had my interview on the Friday, lasted just under an hour. First discussed my right to work in the UK etc, uniform sizes, where I lived and then just general background information on me. Then did a tour of the shop floor and had to note down things that were good and things that were bad and then discuss them with the Clothing Manager. Then had to pack someone's shopping for them which was pretty simple. Then finally had to answer a few questions on why I chose Sainsbury's, what I would bring to the store in terms of experience etc and factors regarding trust, things like that. I then received an offer the next day saying I got the job!

Interview Questions
    • Discussing elements of trust in the workplace, I.e how could I trust others to do their jobs properly, ensure they trust me etc. Used examples of trust in cheerleading and my previous work experiences where large amount of cash handling was involved. It's entirely up to you in what examples you use.   Answer Question

General Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chingford, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chingford, England (UK)

Applied online and got a text the next day to invite me for an interview. In the interview was asked basic questions about what do I know about sainsburys, when have I shown teamwork and when have I shown good customer service? I then had to do a walk through of the store picking out things they were doing well and things I would improve. Lastly I had to approach people at the checkouts and ask if they needed any help.

Interview Questions
    • n the interview was asked basic questions about what do I know about sainsburys, when have I shown teamwork and when have I shown good customer service? I then had to do a walk through of the store picking out things they were doing well and things I would improve. Lastly I had to approach people at the checkouts and ask if they needed any help.   Answer Question

General Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lewisham, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lewisham, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at J Sainsbury in November 2014.

I registered online and applied for the job. Received text and email for telephone interview. It was an easy and standard interview and I was asked to attend an assessment at the local store. I attended the interview where I was to produce proof of residence, and passport. I was then asked to go on the shop floor together with the interviewer where I was supposed to note down anything that needed improvement or not. I then attended customers at the check-out point. Lastly we went back to the interview room where I was asked three questions.

Interview Questions
    • When have you provided a great customer experience and how did you do this?   Answer Question

Cafe Worker Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J Sainsbury.

Applied online and had to complete a questionnaire. Pretty long winded. Choice of 4 answers but it's all common knowledge. They take the job down as soon as 2 people get 100%. Those 2 are interviewed for the position. During the interview you have to watch a dvd and complete another questionnaire. After that one of the department managers will conduct a bog standard interview, 'How have you delivered great customer service?' 'What would you do if...?'

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied online – interviewed at J Sainsbury.

applied online , answered questions quite easy.Then I received a text for an interview. The interview was really relaxed and simple. Then I got a text saying I got the job.

Interview Questions
    • none really , just wanted to know past experience and about my personality.   Answer Question

Counter Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Cross, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Cross, England (UK)

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at J Sainsbury in October 2014.

I applied for the position directly through handing my CV into the store. They called me within a few days and asked me to come in for an interview. The interview lasted an hour, and I was asked simple questions about my experiences and why I wanted to join Sainsbury's. It was very easy going. I was then asked to go around the counters a jot down both the positive and negative things I saw. I then discussed this with the interviewer, and proposed some of my ideas for improvement.

Interview Questions
    • What skills from my previous experiences would be beneficial to this role?   Answer Question

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bradford, Yorkshire and the Humber, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at J Sainsbury in October 2014.

I applied online. The online application basically collected together all my personal information, including two references. It also included a short assessment of my customer service knowledge, each question had four multiple choice answers, one of which being the best thing that you could possibly do in the described situation and one being the worst thing you could do. Once two people have answered 100% on the online assessment, Sainbury's takes down the job and invites those two people for an interview.

Sainsbury's sent me an email and a text the day after I applied asking me to call HR so that we could arrange an interview date. The interview consisted of a 45 minute DVD with four sections of questions, you have to answer each question on the answer sheet given. The first part is essentially just a slightly more difficult version of the online assessment, each question has three actions that you have to grade from 1 to 3 in order of how suitable they are in the given situation. The second part is the eye for detail section, you have to watch a clip and pick out two faults with the store (remember the faults should be with the store not the customers). The third part is maths, very straightforward questions if you're good at maths, if you're not then you get scrap paper to work each one out on and you can always go back to this section after the last one because the questions are written as well as being spoken on the DVD. The last section is a personality test, just make sure you answer each question in the way your manager would want you to answer. After the DVD I had a one to one interview with one of the managers which was very informal and just confirmed the job details, how far away I lived, when I could start, if I had any criminal convictions, my previous/current employment, my references and my dress size for the uniform.

I heard back 3 days later with an offer of employment.

Interview Questions
    • The entire process was very straightforward and I can't think of any question or part that was more difficult.   Answer Question

Leadership Graduate Program Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at J Sainsbury in October 2014.

Applied on campus. Submitted online application forms and then received a verbal and math test. (personality test and situational analysis is part of the application form, it's clear that they are looking for a certain type of personality). The verbal is slightly easier than GRE, and the math is definitely harder than I expected. Be prepared and do the easy ones quickly to make sure you have enough time for the hard ones.

Customer Service Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J Sainsbury in September 2014.

I applied for the job on the 18th of August. Heard back from the HR department within 2 days asking for me to contact them for a telephone interview. I phoned them the next day (21st) and I was asked general questions such as what is good customer service, name a time when you have given/seen good customer service, why do you want the position etc. I was told that I had passed this interview whilst still on the phone and I was given the details of the assessment centre interview. I went to my assessment centre interview on the 1st of September. After reading online, I was expecting 2 parts, one part full of videos and questions and then a one on one interview. However I just had the one on one interview. I was asked general questions such as my age, what I was doing outside of work (college), if I had any holidays etc... Then I was given a booklet with 3 questions/scenarios and I was told to write notes and then after 10 minutes I would feed back to the interviewer. My questions were when have you given good customer service (what it entailed etc), when have you helped someone with a task (what did you do to help) and when have you had several tasks to do and how have you prioristed them. The interviewer was really friendly and it helped me stay confident and relaxed. It only lasted 20-30 minutes. The next day I was sent an email saying I had passed and to call HR to talk to them about the job they were offering me. I will be attending an induction on the 5th!

Interview Questions
    • The when have you helped someone with a task question was the most difficult to me as I have not had a job before so I had to rely on educational times and you had to make sure that you had not done the task for them (that you had only helped them).   Answer Question