J Sainsbury

Updated Jan 27, 2015

2.4

Customer Service Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at J Sainsbury.

I applied online for the customer service assistant position at Sainsburys. Did the assessment online, the questions were based on customer service skills, not that hard nor easy.
    Two days after, I received an email from the HRM informing to book a telephone interview. Then had the telephone interview that same day. And I passed the telephone interview, then they booked me in for an interview at the Sainsburys I applied for.
    The interviewer was welcoming and friendly, that I didn't feel like I was in an interview. She asked me about myself, my career path, my experiences and some competency questions.
    Finally, she took me around the store for the final part of the interview, where she asked me to jot down all the good points about the store and the improvements which could be made. It was quite easy I must say, I mentioned about the customer service skills the staffs provided and also the the presentation of the store.
    After three days I heard from the hrm saying that I passed the interview, additionally, they would like me to do commercial and cash office instead. I was extremely happy!

Interview Questions
    • When did you receive a bad customer service?
      When did you give an excellent customer service?
      Tell me about yourself?
      Why work for Sainsburys and what do you know about three sainsburys?
      Why work as a customer service assistant?

Answer Question

Central Graduate Scheme Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at J Sainsbury.

Initial online application covering my background, one long question on why I want to work for Sainsbury's and a little bit on my background and why it's appropriate and suitable for this role.
    Then online SHL tests - verbal and numerical. Standard, same as every graduate scheme.
    Phone Interview (supposed to last 20 minutes, actually lasted a lot longer). This covers your motivation for working for Sainsburys as well as your professional experience and your key skills.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me why I want to work at Sainsburys, and I gave quite a long answer covering my motivation for this specific grad scheme as well what attracts me to the company itself. Then the guy asked me 2 more questions covering exactly the same information I'd just given, he was clearly working from a script and had to ask the questions even though I had just answered them.   Answer Question

Central Leaders Grad Scheme Interview

I applied online – interviewed at J Sainsbury.

Online application, numerical and situational judgement test. The online application asks standard questions - why Sainsbury's, what are your extra curricular achievements etc. Phone interview is completely competency based and asks a couple of questions - you have to give an example, explain what you did and then explain the impact. First they ask you why you want to work for Sainsbury's and why this particular scheme. If you get through that stage you get to an assessment centre.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of when you have gone the extra mile to offer outstanding customer service.   Answer Question

General Assistant Night Shift Interview

I applied online – interviewed at J Sainsbury.

Filled in online application, which included a multiple choice test where a scenario based in the store was described, and you were asked to give the best and worst response to the scenario.

I then received a text and email inviting me for an initial interview. This consisted of an hour long video, which contained more in store scenarios like those in the online test, a simple maths test, and a personality test. These were all multiple choice and very simple.

After passing the test, I was invited back for the second part of the interview, which was conducted by the night shift manager. This was very relaxed, and mostly consisted of her taking down my details and talking me through the role. I was told that they would hope to get back to me in a weeks time.

As it has been just over a week, I phoned up HR earlier today, and I was told that they had decided that I'd be a better fit for a different role (I had worked on the deli counter at a different store several years a go) and that they will be contacting me in the next few days to discuss an opening they have on the counter.

Interview Questions
    • What was your degree in? So why aren't you doing that?   View Answer

General Assistant Night Shift Interview

I applied online – interviewed at J Sainsbury in January 2015.

did the on-line test in august and passed had interview but they employed in house. since then haven't got pass the on-line test. my daughters friend who's in H R didn't pass either.

Interview Questions
    • getting pass the on-line test. I really don't know how to answer the questions. I've tried answering as a team player customer friendly. how can you answers things that its not your place to so but would be the correct answer. is it that they reach the required applicants and your going fail every time. would love to know.   View Answers (2)

Customer Assistant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at J Sainsbury in January 2015.

So applied online which ended with a test asking general multiple choice questions about customer service scenarios. I passed that then received a text to call head office. I called head office and done a over the phone interview, again based around customer service questions - name a time when you have provided great customer service. What do you think is good customer service etc. I passed that then got given a date to attend an interview in store. This part was very easy, consisted of watching a dvd and answering multiple choice questions then I spoke with a HR manager just about my hours, uniform size. Right to work in the UK etc. I was then told if chosen, the manager would like to meet with me and if she likes you, then you would be offered the job. Got a call to ask me to meet with the manager, went well, question were asked about why sainsburys, what have you done previously and then a talk about what would be expected from you in your role. Got told there and then that í had got the job :)

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you have provided exceptional customer service   Answer Question

General Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at J Sainsbury in January 2015.

So applied online which ended with a test asking general multiple choice questions about customer service scenarios. I passed that then received a text to call head office. I called head office and done a over the phone interview. I passed that then got given a date to attend an interview in store. This part was very easy, consisted of watching a dvd and answering multiple choice questions then I spoke with a HR manager just about my hours, uniform size. Right to work in the UK etc. I was then told if chosen. which i didnt

User Experience Architect Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J Sainsbury in December 2014.

Online application, followed brief by telephone chat with recruiter, then a follow up call by a different recruiter to confirm interview date and time.

Travel expense at own cost – 1 hour interview split between lead recruiter and UX Manager

Interview Questions
    • Why I had not worked across multiple platforms – this was something already discussed on the telephone screening call with the recruiter. Felt as though I had been wrongly placed for this interview – clearly looking for experience that I had already explicitly explained I wouldn’t have.   Answer Question

Bakery Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at J Sainsbury in December 2014.

I thought I'd post this as I was looking for the same answers before I went to the interview and couldn't find much!

First of all, I applied via Sainsbury's website by filling out the application form. This form was relatively straightforward, except for the test at the end. The test is purely about customer service, so I would recommend possibly going through the questions and thinking about them before actually applying to a position that you are interested in. This test asks for the best and worst answers to potential situations, and is fairly obvious if you try to think logically from a retail perspective.

For the interview, I went to Customer Services and signed in, then waited for my interviewer. My interviewer took me to a room (I think it was a meeting room) and told me that he would ask me a series of questions, and then play a DVD which I needed to answer questions about.

The series of questions were incredibly easy. I was asked:
    - How flexible I was with hours.
    - Whether I had worked for the company before.
    - What my uniform sizes were.
    - When I could start work.
    - What interested me about the position.
    - My mode of transport.
    - Whether I knew anyone who worked there.
    - If I had done the online application myself.
    - What I had done since leaving school.
    - Whether I had the right to work in the UK.
    - What documents I have brought along to the interview for ID.
    - If I had any other jobs.

After this, I was set a DVD and given a work booklet, two pencils, an eraser, and was offered a drink of water, which I accepted. The DVD/booklet consisted of four parts:
    - Customer service
    - Scenarios
    - Maths
    - Personality

The customer service part required me to watch a short clip of someone working in Sainsbury's interacting with a customer (or about to), and then I needed to rank the three answers of what to do given on my worksheet with 1 being the best thing and 3 being the worst. An example of this was:
    - A woman is struggling with her trolley and bags near her car. Do you:
    --- Stop what you're doing and help them.
    --- Ask them if they want help.
    --- Ignore them and continue with your work.
    This section was by far the most difficult of the four.

The scenario part required me to watch a short clip and identify what was wrong within it. The example question showed discarded boxes on the floor, and a spillage which hadn't been cleaned up.

The maths part required me to answer simple maths questions, such as; if a customer has 5 bunches of flowers with 10 flowers in each bunch, how many flowers do they have in total? These questions were multiple choice, and, even if you didn't really know the answer, you can take an educated guess (but they were extremely simple).

The personality part was the final part of the interview process, and required me to choose an option ranging from "Strongly Disagree" to "Strongly Agree". I was advised at this point to choose either of those options, and not to go for the ones in between - I guess they don't like anyone sitting on the fence about things!

I found out the same day that I had passed and been given the job. Good luck to everyone out there who is thinking of applying, and I hope this helped you guys out!

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't one! I was expecting all sorts, but it was incredibly easy :)   View Answer

Sales Assistant Clothing Department Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dunblane, Scotland (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dunblane, Scotland (UK)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at J Sainsbury in November 2014.

Applied online and had to answer questions for different situations on what would be the best option and then the worst. Got a text and email saying I had been invited to interview. Rang HR to organise this, they were very helpful. Had my interview on the Friday, lasted just under an hour. First discussed my right to work in the UK etc, uniform sizes, where I lived and then just general background information on me. Then did a tour of the shop floor and had to note down things that were good and things that were bad and then discuss them with the Clothing Manager. Then had to pack someone's shopping for them which was pretty simple. Then finally had to answer a few questions on why I chose Sainsbury's, what I would bring to the store in terms of experience etc and factors regarding trust, things like that. I then received an offer the next day saying I got the job!

Interview Questions
    • Discussing elements of trust in the workplace, I.e how could I trust others to do their jobs properly, ensure they trust me etc. Used examples of trust in cheerleading and my previous work experiences where large amount of cash handling was involved. It's entirely up to you in what examples you use.   Answer Question