J Sainsbury

Updated Feb 25, 2015
Updated Feb 25, 2015

2.4

I applied online – interviewed at J Sainsbury.

So far i have completed the online assessment which was a bunch of competency multiple choice questions, the next day i got an email and sms to do a telephone interview . I was ill so it was hard for the man to hear me but i passed and have an interview at the store for the third part of the process.

Interview Questions
    • How did you go the extra mile for a customer?
      why sainsburys? What attracted you to aplly for this role?
      what can you bring?

I applied online – interviewed at J Sainsbury.

I applied online for the customer service assistant position at Sainsburys. Did the assessment online, the questions were based on customer service skills, not that hard nor easy.
    Two days after, I received an email from the HRM informing to book a telephone interview. Then had the telephone interview that same day. And I passed the telephone interview, then they booked me in for an interview at the Sainsburys I applied for.
    The interviewer was welcoming and friendly, that I didn't feel like I was in an interview. She asked me about myself, my career path, my experiences and some competency questions.
    Finally, she took me around the store for the final part of the interview, where she asked me to jot down all the good points about the store and the improvements which could be made. It was quite easy I must say, I mentioned about the customer service skills the staffs provided and also the the presentation of the store.
    After three days I heard from the hrm saying that I passed the interview, additionally, they would like me to do commercial and cash office instead. I was extremely happy!

Interview Questions
    • When did you receive a bad customer service?
      When did you give an excellent customer service?
      Tell me about yourself?
      Why work for Sainsburys and what do you know about three sainsburys?
      Why work as a customer service assistant?

Customer Service Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at J Sainsbury.

The interview process involved a simple timed mental arithmetic test, involving multiplication, percentages etc. Then involved watching a DVD which showed scenarios and you would have to say what was wrong with the scenario, or what would you do. They actual interview for me was very straight forward, asking questions about what you would think the job would involve, and only lasted around 5 minutes.

General Assistant Night Shift Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at J Sainsbury in February 2015.

I applied online and received an email 2 days later letting me know I have been accepted for and interview. Interview was not long and the interviewer was very kind and made me feel comfortable, I had to do a store assessment and find things are done well and stuff that could be improved on. 3 days later I got an email saying I was hired.

Online Groceries Shopper Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at J Sainsbury in February 2015.

First stage- Telephone Interview - Questions asked:
    - why are you attracted to Sainsburys?
    - can you give an example of good customer service that you have delivered recently?
    - why do you think you are good for this role?
    - what is it that you would find challenging about this role?

If you clear the the telephone interview, you get an email within the next 15 mins or so, informing you of the date and time of th personal interview stage at the store you have applied to.

Interview Questions
    • Personal Interview
      - Telll me something about yourself, what kind of a person are you? your background, your hobbies, your interests?
      - what do you think you will have to do in this role?
      - are you certain that you will be able to come to your shifts on time (early morning 4 am shift)?
      - how will you get here?
      - have you got any other job commitments?
      - have you got any holidays booked/ planned?

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sheffield, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in Sheffield, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at J Sainsbury in February 2015.

I only got as far as the telephone interview: the HR man who answered was miserable and I knew as soon as I heard him speak that this was going to be awful. He asked me 3 or 4 basic questions - why did I want to be a customer services assistant, why did I want to work for sainsburys, what I thought the challenges of working for sainsburys would be etc, which I answered. It's quite difficult to mess questions like that up, so I was a bit annoyed when the minute the phone call ended I got a rejection email. They had obviously already shortlisted and had to interview me because I passed the situational judgement test a couple of hours before the application deadline.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for sainsburys?   View Answer

Central Graduate Scheme Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at J Sainsbury.

Initial online application covering my background, one long question on why I want to work for Sainsbury's and a little bit on my background and why it's appropriate and suitable for this role.
    Then online SHL tests - verbal and numerical. Standard, same as every graduate scheme.
    Phone Interview (supposed to last 20 minutes, actually lasted a lot longer). This covers your motivation for working for Sainsburys as well as your professional experience and your key skills.

Interview Questions
    • They asked me why I want to work at Sainsburys, and I gave quite a long answer covering my motivation for this specific grad scheme as well what attracts me to the company itself. Then the guy asked me 2 more questions covering exactly the same information I'd just given, he was clearly working from a script and had to ask the questions even though I had just answered them.   Answer Question

Central Leaders Grad Scheme Interview

I applied online – interviewed at J Sainsbury.

Online application, numerical and situational judgement test. The online application asks standard questions - why Sainsbury's, what are your extra curricular achievements etc. Phone interview is completely competency based and asks a couple of questions - you have to give an example, explain what you did and then explain the impact. First they ask you why you want to work for Sainsbury's and why this particular scheme. If you get through that stage you get to an assessment centre.

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of when you have gone the extra mile to offer outstanding customer service.   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at J Sainsbury.

Filled in online application, which included a multiple choice test where a scenario based in the store was described, and you were asked to give the best and worst response to the scenario.

I then received a text and email inviting me for an initial interview. This consisted of an hour long video, which contained more in store scenarios like those in the online test, a simple maths test, and a personality test. These were all multiple choice and very simple.

After passing the test, I was invited back for the second part of the interview, which was conducted by the night shift manager. This was very relaxed, and mostly consisted of her taking down my details and talking me through the role. I was told that they would hope to get back to me in a weeks time.

As it has been just over a week, I phoned up HR earlier today, and I was told that they had decided that I'd be a better fit for a different role (I had worked on the deli counter at a different store several years a go) and that they will be contacting me in the next few days to discuss an opening they have on the counter.

Interview Questions
    • What was your degree in? So why aren't you doing that?   View Answer

General Assistant Night Shift Interview

I applied online – interviewed at J Sainsbury in January 2015.

did the on-line test in august and passed had interview but they employed in house. since then haven't got pass the on-line test. my daughters friend who's in H R didn't pass either.

Interview Questions
    • getting pass the on-line test. I really don't know how to answer the questions. I've tried answering as a team player customer friendly. how can you answers things that its not your place to so but would be the correct answer. is it that they reach the required applicants and your going fail every time. would love to know.   View Answers (2)