J Sainsbury Night Shift General Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Aug 22, 2015

2.5

General Assistant Night Shift Interview

Anonymous Employee in Epsom, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (Epsom, England (UK)) in August 2015.

Interview

Completed online test. Passed and had to call to arrange interview. Spoke to lovely lady in HR who was very friendly and very helpful. Actual Interview was about 20-30 mins long. Talked through the role and asked a general questions. Assessment was to stack shelves as shown by another member of staff who was friendly, chatty and made me feel really comfortable. Very relaxed and friendly interview.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for J Sainsbury

General Assistant Night Shift Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (London, England (UK)).

Interview

I had a telephone interview after applying online. I received an email with the phone number to call. I called and was asked around 6 questions. I was then told to go for an interview in store

Interview Questions

• Give previous experience of customer service How did you deliver customer service   Answer Question

General Assistant Night Shift Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at J Sainsbury in May 2015.

Interview

Came in, filled out some security paperwork including documentation, then was told that I need to put on a uniform and go around the store, identifying good and bad points about the store. Was then told I would pack a customer bag (But didnt do it in the end) then went back to the office to discuss the points that I had written down. Was then asked loads of questions and he told me that I am not allowed to use the words 'We or Us'.. Asked him some questions and experiences. Interview finished. Was offered position but not for the hours that I applied for. Declined offer as the hours were awful compared to what I was originally applying for.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you gave good customer service   Answer Question
    • What do you think the role will involve   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you dealt with a difficult customer, and how did you resolve this   Answer Question
    • Tell me about the time you worked in a team   Answer Question
    • How would you deal with another member of staff, if they were under performing. how would that make you feel and how would you resolve this?   Answer Question

General Assistant Night Shift Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (London, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

Filled in the online application which consisted of some background information about myself, then some scenario based questions. The next day, I got an email saying I would get a telephone interview and to call within 24 hrs Was asked a few simple competency questions over the phone; whether I can serve alcohol etc. at the end I was told I was successful and would be invited to an in-store interview Arrived there where they first took me and around 5 other candidates around the store with a clipboard and we were told to write down good and bad aspects of the store. Then, I was individually interviewed and asked similar questions to those from the phone interview, had to fill in some forms. The interviewer was really friendly; she took the time to explain the questions properly and was generally a nice person.

General Assistant Night Shift Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at J Sainsbury.

Interview

I applied for a General Assistant Nighshift position. I was successful with the online application, which included a situation questionnaire: that is a series of questions asking you to choose the best response to a given situation. The following day, I received a text asking me to contact them for a telephone interview. I was successful with the telephone interview. I was asked easy questions on customer service skills such as ‘Give me an example of when you gave excellent customer service’. At the end of the telephone interview, I was told that I had been successful and that I would need to attend an assessment/interview at the store for which I had applied. My store interview was scheduled at 23:00 but I was kept waiting for 20 minutes. I was met and greeted by two people, but only one of them interviewed me and he was not the person nominated in the invite to interview email. Firstly, I was asked generic questions, most of which I had already answered online, but the interviewer’s accent was so strong I had to concentrate very hard, to understand him: on two occasions I asked him to repeat the question. Then the interviewer gave me a clipboard and asked me to walk around the store and write about the things that were done well and those that needed improvement. Then, he gave me a basket containing five items and told me to put them back on the shelves in the right place. I completed the shelving task quickly and accurately but the interviewer only followed me around while I shelved the first two items and then stopped to chat with another member of staff. Following these exercises, I was asked to comment on what I had written on the clipboard notes and specifically, what I would do to improve the things that were not working well. I started to answer, but the interviewer interrupted me robustly and asked me whether I knew how fast I would need to work. He said: ‘Do you know how many cases of coca cola you must stock in an hour?’ He didn’t wait for my reply and told me that I would need to open 50 cases an hour. I asked how many bottles were in each case but he completely ignored me and moved on to the next question. By this time, his irritation was almost palpable. He gave me the strong impression that he was not interested in me or in anything I had to say and that he was just going through the motions. Finally, he asked whether I had any questions for him. Advice books on job interviews explain how sometimes, a well-placed question can cause the answerer to give away much more than they realise. I asked the interviewer whether the role could lead to progression. He forgot his irritation for a few seconds, beamed with pride and said: “When I joined Sainsburys, I couldn’t speak English. Look at me now!” I refrained from asking how he had managed to get through the online application form or the job interview, with no English. Nor did I enquire as to why *all* the night staff I saw (that is the staff working after store closure) where young, male and mostly white in a vibrant urban area where the white population is less than 50 per cent. In my opinion, while the central HR system at Sainsbury’s may operate on modern principles of fairness, equality and best practice, individual stores work like little fiefdoms, especially when it comes to night shifts, as these offer a higher pay per hour. In my opinion, if you want to work on the night shifts at Sainsbury, you need the ability to be male and strongly developed skills in being young. I strongly feel that my chances of securing this role disappeared the second the interviewer noticed that I was neither male nor in my twenties.

Interview Questions

• Do you know how many cases of coca cola you must stock in an hour?   1 Answer

General Assistant Night Shift Interview

Anonymous Employee in Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (Welwyn Garden City, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

I applied online and received an email 2 days later letting me know I have been accepted for and interview. Interview was not long and the interviewer was very kind and made me feel comfortable, I had to do a store assessment and find things are done well and stuff that could be improved on. 3 days later I got an email saying I was hired.

General Assistant Night Shift Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (London, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

After taking the online test, I received a text message asking to call their HR for a telephone interview. Their question were pretty straightforward; the first part of the telephone interview they asked general questions such as do you have a proof of address, any criminal convictions etc. The second part of the telephone interview they asked competency based questions e.g. when have you had to deal with a difficult customer. After the telephone interview had finished, they informed me I had passed the telephone interview and would be invited to the assessment centre. I arrived 20 minutes before, I was then given a visitors badge and taken to the canteen and asked to fill out a form of previous work experience, available hours, national insurance number, why I would fit in at Sainsbury’s Etc. After about 20 minutes I was taken into a room by a HR Manager for a one-to-one interview and asked general retail questions. The interview lasted for about 30 minutes and was really relaxed and chatty.

Interview Questions

• Telephone- what do you think you will find difficult working at Sainsbury's? why do you want to work at Sainsbury? why did you apply for this particular shift? Assessment Centre- tell me about yourself? what are the pros and cons of the Sainsbury's store, and what would you bring/do to change these cons? give an example of when you have worked within a team? give an example of dealing with difficult customers? give an example of when you have provided an excellent customer service? why do you want to work at Sainsbury's? what skills could you bring to Sainsbury's?   Answer Question

General Assistant Night Shift Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J Sainsbury.

Interview

Filled in online application, which included a multiple choice test where a scenario based in the store was described, and you were asked to give the best and worst response to the scenario. I then received a text and email inviting me for an initial interview. This consisted of an hour long video, which contained more in store scenarios like those in the online test, a simple maths test, and a personality test. These were all multiple choice and very simple. After passing the test, I was invited back for the second part of the interview, which was conducted by the night shift manager. This was very relaxed, and mostly consisted of her taking down my details and talking me through the role. I was told that they would hope to get back to me in a weeks time. As it has been just over a week, I phoned up HR earlier today, and I was told that they had decided that I'd be a better fit for a different role (I had worked on the deli counter at a different store several years a go) and that they will be contacting me in the next few days to discuss an opening they have on the counter.

Interview Questions

• What was your degree in? So why aren't you doing that?   1 Answer

General Assistant Night Shift Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at J Sainsbury in January 2015.

Interview

did the on-line test in august and passed had interview but they employed in house. since then haven't got pass the on-line test. my daughters friend who's in H R didn't pass either.

Interview Questions

• getting pass the on-line test. I really don't know how to answer the questions. I've tried answering as a team player customer friendly. how can you answers things that its not your place to so but would be the correct answer. is it that they reach the required applicants and your going fail every time. would love to know.   2 Answers

General Assistant Night Shift Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sheffield, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at J Sainsbury (Sheffield, England (UK)) in September 2014.

Interview

I applied for the position online.The interview was relaxed and was easy. We were taken into a room and watched a DVD whilst answering various questions on what we were watching. I was then taken for a reasonably informal 1 on 1 interview. I was then told I would hear from them within 2 days with the outcome of my application.