J Sainsbury

J Sainsbury Team Leader Interview Questions

2.0

4 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)
Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J Sainsbury in June 2014.

Applied online on 03/06/14, general info & multiple choice of different situations & choose best/worse choice. Got a text on 05/06/14 giving a ref no & asking me to call an 0845 number for a phone interview which would last approx 20 mins. They asked for confirmation of my 2 references and basic questions like why do you want to work for sainsburys, any holidays dates booked etc...really basic stuff about your past work experiences.....Their HR department sounded like a call centre!!! I could hear other staff asking the same questions to others!! I was told I was successful & invited to a face to face interview which I had today.
I obviously got there 15mins early to make a good impression & then was kept waiting in the staff room for another 15 mins. (I think the manager who was interviewing me had to suspend someone!!!) The first question I was asked was why Sainsburys (big surprise there!!!) then I had to tell her my work history, I told her where I had worked & why I left but no other details. Then she asked me 3 scenario based questions which they leave you to read & complete on your own & write in yourself so you don't get stressed out/panic which are basic & I think a really good idea to allow you to do yourself. She did say she would come back in 10mins & discuss the reasons and results of my actions but I managed to write those down too - if your a slow reader/writer ask for more than 10 mins!!!
The final part of it was a role play!!! I almost panicked @ this but then I thought what the hell- I'm here anyway-might as well try my best. My scenario was to deal with a member of staff that had a complaint against him by a customer through a letter-how would I deal with it, what would I say etc. Gave me 10 mins to read through the letter & think of what I would say & do. I highlighted the problems raised in the letter & then had to 'deal' with the collegue in person whilst the interviewer observed.
Luckily (or not) I've had to deal with this kind of situation before & they were impressed by my approach-mid way through the guy i was 'dealing' with (another store manager) said to the interviewer -I like her style!!
I didn't let it make me big headed though & carried on. after it was all done she said that the process was to mark up the points i got & then inform HR.
I was told it's very rare but she's gonna tell them yes for sure!!! Yippee!!! I won't hold my breath until I sign a contract & pass the probation period which is 12 weeks (standard).
In my opinion it was one of the easiest interviews i've ever had.
I think they look at your personality more than anything else & whether or not you are a genuine person who will fit in to their teams.
Good luck to anyone who applies & don't panic!!!!

Interview Questions
  • None - I wasn't asked much at all as I gave a clear history of my experiences & it seemed to be enough. Shame cos I did a ton of research!!!
    She only really asked why Sainsburys?

View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for J Sainsbury

Team Leader Interview

Interview is as easy as pie. Basic questions on subjects like organisational skills and experience leading a team. They'll also ask about experience, go through a simple role-play and a 'what-would-you-do' task. May talk a little about Sainsbury's values too. Make sure you smile and speak clearly. They want to know that you can serve customers well.

Interview Questions
    • A customer breaks an (already purchased) bottle of wine in the car-park. What do you do?   View Answers (2)

Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cardiff, Wales (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at J Sainsbury in January 2010.

Job appears on online recruitment portal. The first round included the online application process. It includes giving the answer to few job related situations and giving the best and worst behavior in those situations. After the online application, there is telephonic interview with a HR from head office. If cleared, there is face to face interview with the Store HR Manager.

Team Leader Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at J Sainsbury in September 2009.

Filled online application form and questionaire, received email from central HR inviting me for an interview. Phoned them to arrange a time/date.they were very friendly and efficiant. Went the following week to the Store. Greeted very well and sat with another interviewee to wait for managers. Went individually for DVD test which consisted of 4 parts. The Manager provided water and pencils etc and the booklet for answers. Completed and was taken to another room to wait while my answers were checked. I passed 3 out of 4 including the maths which meant I had passed overall apparently. He then asked me general questions re nationality, criminal record, explained company benefits discount etc and checked my passport. He explained briefly the role but said the days/hours shown online were wrong. Nice pleasant bloke but it didnt feel like an interview. He ended it by saying he had one other to interview in a few days so I would have to wait for a decision.

SO I am waiting but dont feel positive as the 1 to 1 interview wasnt actually an interview. Just going through the motions I felt. I got the impression that the 2 managers that were interviewing candidates were run off their feet.

Interview Questions
    • the DVD questions re Customer Service were worst, I felt the ABC options didnt always cover the scenario   Answer Question