J Sainsbury Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Apr 22, 2015

2.3

General Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at J Sainsbury.

Interview

If you are actually capable , reliable , hardworking , honest down to earth person and even worked there as a christmas temp then don't bother applying. There quite happy to hire people who don't give a dam about there job. And there interview is a joke , the manager didn't even speak clearly, rushed through, even went on there phone and thought I didn't notice ! They think there gods gift to mankind when there are offering pathetic amount of hours and I do wonder what more they want from an interviewer when I feel I answered all the questions very well EVEN previously working for them as a Christmas temp . I Made sure I was always talking about customer service and being a team player even saying I would more than happy do over time . So all i can suggest here is don't get your hopes up and don't bother applying for Christmas role they won't keep you on and meas nothing in the future.

General Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at J Sainsbury (Birmingham, England (UK)) in April 2015.

Interview

I saw the advert for a job in my local Sainsbury's, went home and applied straight away at around 11pm. Answered some questions about me, references, etc. Then came an online assessment where I had a scenario and was asked which answer is the best thing to do and which is the worst. Just answered these honestly with the customer at mind even though I had no clue with some of them.
    The next morning I got a text and an email saying to call them for an interview time. Was given a time one week later to be at the store. The call lasted about 10mins because they ran through everything like job hours, references, what to bring, and what to wear.
    I dressed in my previous job uniform; black long sleeved shirt, black trousers, black leather closed toe shoes. Did my shopping beforehand because I was too early (the manager saw me shopping so I think that may have been beneficial), then went to the customer service desk and asked for him. I signed in and then was lead to the canteen for 10 minutes waiting, I spoke to some of the women there and then the manager took me into a small room.
    First he ran through the contract and policy, and asked me if I could come in on the Induction days if successful. Then we walked around the shop while I noted down the good and bad things, then I helped a customer with shopping. Then we went back to the room and discussed what I had written down. I was then asked some customer service questions; time when you have worked in a team and helped teammates, time when you have went above and beyond for customer, why Sainsbury's? I was talking too fast and too much and he had to keep stopping me because he was writing everything down. Then he asked if I had any questions.
    Then he walked me out and said hope to see you soon so I know he liked me.
    3 days later I received a text saying they want to offer me a job and to call them. I called and confirmed Induction days and what to bring.

Tips: Smile and be really friendly: the manager was in a bad mood when he first brought me in (he even said he was), he seemed really uninterested. By the end of it he was smiling and joking with me. He doesn't make the decision but he does rate you.
    Think of the customer constantly. Don't be polite when writing down bad things about the store; think of what you as a customer wouldn't want to see, and how you would want people to act.
    Dress well. Bring all correct documents.

Interview Questions

• When did you go above and beyond for a customer? Tell us when something went wrong and how you overcame it for the customer.   1 Answer
    • When have you worked in a team and helped colleagues?   1 Answer

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at J Sainsbury (London, England (UK)) in April 2015.

Interview

applied online, I got a text and email asking me to call HR for a telephone interview. I think its best to do this the same day if possible. The person I spoke to asked me 2 questions 1) tell me about a time when you gave excellent customer service and 2) tell me about a time when you went the extra mile for a customer. the rest of the conversation was about the hours/job and confirming some details ect. I was told on the phone that I was successful and he gave me an interview date which was in 10 days time.
    went to the interview, it was more of a group interview as we had to discuss the three questions and present it individually. we done this. seemed to go well. at the end the interviewer said they would be in contact.

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J Sainsbury.

Interview

Applied Online, doesnt require a CV. Then had a telephone interview with the HR department. Then invited to a face to face interview with the store manager.

Interview Questions

• 3 scenarios given, had to write my experiences and then talk them through with the interviewer   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at J Sainsbury.

Interview

I applied for a General Assistant Nighshift position.

I was successful with the online application, which included a situation questionnaire: that is a series of questions asking you to choose the best response to a given situation. The following day, I received a text asking me to contact them for a telephone interview.

I was successful with the telephone interview. I was asked easy questions on customer service skills such as ‘Give me an example of when you gave excellent customer service’. At the end of the telephone interview, I was told that I had been successful and that I would need to attend an assessment/interview at the store for which I had applied.

My store interview was scheduled at 23:00 but I was kept waiting for 20 minutes. I was met and greeted by two people, but only one of them interviewed me and he was not the person nominated in the invite to interview email. Firstly, I was asked generic questions, most of which I had already answered online, but the interviewer’s accent was so strong I had to concentrate very hard, to understand him: on two occasions I asked him to repeat the question. Then the interviewer gave me a clipboard and asked me to walk around the store and write about the things that were done well and those that needed improvement. Then, he gave me a basket containing five items and told me to put them back on the shelves in the right place. I completed the shelving task quickly and accurately but the interviewer only followed me around while I shelved the first two items and then stopped to chat with another member of staff. Following these exercises, I was asked to comment on what I had written on the clipboard notes and specifically, what I would do to improve the things that were not working well. I started to answer, but the interviewer interrupted me robustly and asked me whether I knew how fast I would need to work. He said: ‘Do you know how many cases of coca cola you must stock in an hour?’ He didn’t wait for my reply and told me that I would need to open 50 cases an hour. I asked how many bottles were in each case but he completely ignored me and moved on to the next question. By this time, his irritation was almost palpable. He gave me the strong impression that he was not interested in me or in anything I had to say and that he was just going through the motions. Finally, he asked whether I had any questions for him. Advice books on job interviews explain how sometimes, a well-placed question can cause the answerer to give away much more than they realise. I asked the interviewer whether the role could lead to progression. He forgot his irritation for a few seconds, beamed with pride and said: “When I joined Sainsburys, I couldn’t speak English. Look at me now!” I refrained from asking how he had managed to get through the online application form or the job interview, with no English. Nor did I enquire as to why *all* the night staff I saw (that is the staff working after store closure) where young, male and mostly white in a vibrant urban area where the white population is less than 50 per cent.

In my opinion, while the central HR system at Sainsbury’s may operate on modern principles of fairness, equality and best practice, individual stores work like little fiefdoms, especially when it comes to night shifts, as these offer a higher pay per hour. In my opinion, if you want to work on the night shifts at Sainsbury, you need the ability to be male and strongly developed skills in being young. I strongly feel that my chances of securing this role disappeared the second the interviewer noticed that I was neither male nor in my twenties.

Interview Questions

• Do you know how many cases of coca cola you must stock in an hour?   1 Answer

Store Trainer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at J Sainsbury.

Interview

Met manager, given a numeracy and customer service test on a dvd, short interview with the manager discussing the role, asked questions about prior experiences of retail and customer service, the manager explained the particulars of start date, remuneration, time off, uniform, etc. Explained when and how I would hear if I was successful. After the interview the manager saw me out and explained more about the shop floor as we walked through the store.

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J Sainsbury (London, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online, usual boring and silly situational tasks... one week later telephone interview about my professional experience and customer service, same questions like online... last one what I didn't expect "give me an example when you dealt with customer complaint..." but I improvised... the interviewer was very patient and helpful so I passed this stage and get an appointment for a personal interview. The personal interview was also easy, looked around in the store with the manager and had to write a lists about things could be improved and well-functioning, and I also had to go to the tills and ask the customers if they need any help to pack the purchased products... which was a little bit strange situation and of course nobody wanted my help... after this same questions like before and a silly picture where a customer didn't find a product, and I had to explain how to solve this situation. And the joke now follows... after this long procedure the manager said: "to be honest I need a trolley boy at the car park to collect the trolleys and pick up the litter, are you interested in...?" Yes of course... five days later the job offered... I think you know my answer... :)

Interview Questions

• give me an example when you dealt with customer complaint   Answer Question

Customer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at J Sainsbury in March 2015.

Interview

I got a mail offering me a telephone interview with sainsbury's. I called them the next day. A lady picked up the call . Her accent was really hard for me to understand. I asked her twice to repeat her questions. Telephone interview lasted for 20 mimutes. I thanked her for her time. The next moment I got a mail from saisbury's saying I was not selected.

Interview Questions

• Why Sainsbury's? Why not Tesco or Asda?Are you ready to serve Alcohol?   Answer Question

Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at J Sainsbury (Birmingham, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied for the job online and then had a telephone interview. The telephone interview went great as I had done all my research beforehand (most of it on glassdoor.co.uk). I was then invited for a interview in the store. I did more research and prep for this on glassdoor.co.uk. I seemed like they have a set of interview question that do not change much, so I gathered as many of these questions from the reviews and practiced answering them. But on the day of the interview, I went to the store, they made me wait 10-15 mins in the staff room. I was then taken to a small, messy office by the team leader. I would say the interview was unprofessional. He asked me questions about my work history and was jotting down notes as I answered his questions, he then asked me a couple of general questions like, 'describe a time that you had to prioritise your workload' and that's all. The interview was over in around 15 minutes. I feel I was not able to show my full potential as the interview just focused on my work history, previous roles/duties and felt I was just repeating myself, I wasn't able to show what I could possibly bring to this job role etc

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you provided excellent customer service. Describe a time when you had to prioritise workload/deadlines.   Answer Question

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at J Sainsbury.

Interview

So far i have completed the online assessment which was a bunch of competency multiple choice questions, the next day i got an email and sms to do a telephone interview . I was ill so it was hard for the man to hear me but i passed and have an interview at the store for the third part of the process.

Interview Questions

• How did you go the extra mile for a customer?
      why sainsburys? What attracted you to aplly for this role?
      what can you bring?