J Sainsbury Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Sep 5, 2014

2.3

48 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Customer Service Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J Sainsbury in September 2014.

I applied for the job on the 18th of August. Heard back from the HR department within 2 days asking for me to contact them for a telephone interview. I phoned them the next day (21st) and I was asked general questions such as what is good customer service, name a time when you have given/seen good customer service, why do you want the position etc. I was told that I had passed this interview whilst still on the phone and I was given the details of the assessment centre interview. I went to my assessment centre interview on the 1st of September. After reading online, I was expecting 2 parts, one part full of videos and questions and then a one on one interview. However I just had the one on one interview. I was asked general questions such as my age, what I was doing outside of work (college), if I had any holidays etc... Then I was given a booklet with 3 questions/scenarios and I was told to write notes and then after 10 minutes I would feed back to the interviewer. My questions were when have you given good customer service (what it entailed etc), when have you helped someone with a task (what did you do to help) and when have you had several tasks to do and how have you prioristed them. The interviewer was really friendly and it helped me stay confident and relaxed. It only lasted 20-30 minutes. The next day I was sent an email saying I had passed and to call HR to talk to them about the job they were offering me. I will be attending an induction on the 5th!

Interview Questions
    • The when have you helped someone with a task question was the most difficult to me as I have not had a job before so I had to rely on educational times and you had to make sure that you had not done the task for them (that you had only helped them).   Answer Question

STY Shopper Interview

I applied online - interviewed at J Sainsbury.

Applied online and did a short question round about what I would do in certain situations for the job, then I was invited in to do an interview with HR where they ask a variety of questions to get to know you as well as more situational problems for you to solve. They offered me a job at the end of the interview

Interview Questions
    • Some of the situation ones can be unexpected but just require common sense e.g. what would you do if someone wanted alcohol but looked under 25   Answer Question

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Banbury, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Banbury, England (UK)

I applied online - interviewed at J Sainsbury in August 2014.

The online application was straightforward including a test of multiple choice questions, choosing the best and worst answers.

After completing my online application I heard back a day later. I had been successful and phoned the HR department to arrange an interview.

The first part of the interview lasted for 40 minutes, watching a DVD and answering the booklet of questions. Section one was to watch the different scenarios within the store, ranking the best answer at one, second best two and three the worst. Section two was attention to detail, writing down the two errors from each scene, e.g. a spillage in the isle and no stock on shelf. Section three gave you 10 minutes to work out basic mathematical sums (There are 5 bunches in 1 bouquet of flowers, how many bunches are in 5 bouquets?). The final section was choosing wether you agree or disagree on statements regarding yourself.

The second part was a face to face interview roughly lasting 15 minutes. Questions were asked like What would you be expecting to do in this role? Why do you want to work at Sainsburys? How would you provide good customer service? They went through the job details, asked for my clothing sizes and checked my relevant documents (passport and car insurance certificate).

The HR department sent me an email one week later stating I had been successful in the interview stage and offered me the job.

I found the whole process smooth and Sainsburys were very quick to reply back to me with what was happening, job details and instructions were clear. The interview was interesting and gave me an insight into the job role and the people interviewing me were kind and helpful.

Interview Questions
    • Not quite a difficult question but section. I found section two- attention to detail a bit difficult. When writing the errors down from the scenes I struggled putting across what I had seen, which did make me miss key details from the next scene afterwards.   Answer Question

Customer Service Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sheffield, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sheffield, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at J Sainsbury in August 2014.

Applied online last week (answered online questions), and the next day I was offered a telephone interview. Basic questions, such as why do you want to work for Sainsburys? and give an example of good customer service you have given. The telephone interview was conducted from a call centre, and you could hear other people asking questions to other applicants. Got an email offering a one-to-one interview a few days later. I had read all about the tasks you are supposed to do for the interview, but instead this was just a simple one-on-one interview with the deputy store manager. I was asked just two questions, including tell me about yourself, and when have you had to take on several tasks and how have you prioritised them? Interview was really short and simple, and felt really at ease. I was offered the job 3 days later.

Interview Questions
    • When you have had to take on several tasks and prioritise them.   Answer Question
    Asked to attend an induction in two weeks.

Customer Service Assistant Interview

I applied online - interviewed at J Sainsbury in August 2014.

Applied online through the website on Sunday 31st. Got a telephone interview Monday 1st morning, it was a very short interview just asked a couple questions about customer service and my own experiences. Received an email a couple hours later saying I was successful and had a face to face interview the next day. I went for the face to face interview it was a very casual conversation with the store manager just spoke about my availability, flexibility etc. And I got a call on Thursday saying I got the job. Had my training Friday and start on Monday!:).

Interview Questions
    • Show a time when when you've helped someone with a challenge? How?   Answer Question
    • When have you provided excellent customer service? Why? How?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Holborn, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Holborn, England (UK)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J Sainsbury.

Sent CV to MD via email., received call back next day. Brief discussion. Arranged a London meet up. General chat. About Cv, work history, education, how do iplan to stay. Living arrangements as I would have to re locate. 2nd interview with Manager at the head office, holborn. Started 3 week later.

Customer Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at J Sainsbury in June 2014.

Completing online questions, arranging an interview over the phone with HR, doing the interview the following day.

The interview was conducted in a group, so I had the ability to talk to other applicants waiting as well.

In the first stage, we watched a DVD which was roughly half an hour in length, with four sections.
    The first section was a multiple choice, very similar to the online assessment, except it had a video to go alongside it. We had a lot of time to think and answer the questions (about 20 seconds after the scenario was played on the DVD and the multiple choice answers were read out). We also got an example question on each of the four sections.
    The second section was 'attention to detail', where we had to find up to two things that were wrong on the DVD.
    The third was a numeracy test which was very, very simple. Questions were like 'I have 5 apples but I want 7 more, how many do I have now?'. There was only one question which involved times rather than adding or subtracting.
    The last section was a personality test which didn't take very long at all. We had about 10 minutes to do it. I had some time to look over the answers.

In the second stage, one at a time, we were interviewed with basic legal checks, making sure we knew what the job role required, and our clothing sizes and other similar things.
    Questions asked included 'why do you want to work at Sainsbury's', 'why do you want to be a (what you applied for)' and 'tell me about yourself'.

The whole process takes up to an hour and you have nothing to worry about! The staff were very nice, including the person interviewing me.

Interview Questions
    • A couple of questions on the 'attention to detail' section (you had to find two things in each question).   View Answer

Team Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  London, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at J Sainsbury in June 2014.

Applied online on 03/06/14, general info & multiple choice of different situations & choose best/worse choice. Got a text on 05/06/14 giving a ref no & asking me to call an 0845 number for a phone interview which would last approx 20 mins. They asked for confirmation of my 2 references and basic questions like why do you want to work for sainsburys, any holidays dates booked etc...really basic stuff about your past work experiences.....Their HR department sounded like a call centre!!! I could hear other staff asking the same questions to others!! I was told I was successful & invited to a face to face interview which I had today.
    I obviously got there 15mins early to make a good impression & then was kept waiting in the staff room for another 15 mins. (I think the manager who was interviewing me had to suspend someone!!!) The first question I was asked was why Sainsburys (big surprise there!!!) then I had to tell her my work history, I told her where I had worked & why I left but no other details. Then she asked me 3 scenario based questions which they leave you to read & complete on your own & write in yourself so you don't get stressed out/panic which are basic & I think a really good idea to allow you to do yourself. She did say she would come back in 10mins & discuss the reasons and results of my actions but I managed to write those down too - if your a slow reader/writer ask for more than 10 mins!!!
    The final part of it was a role play!!! I almost panicked @ this but then I thought what the hell- I'm here anyway-might as well try my best. My scenario was to deal with a member of staff that had a complaint against him by a customer through a letter-how would I deal with it, what would I say etc. Gave me 10 mins to read through the letter & think of what I would say & do. I highlighted the problems raised in the letter & then had to 'deal' with the collegue in person whilst the interviewer observed.
    Luckily (or not) I've had to deal with this kind of situation before & they were impressed by my approach-mid way through the guy i was 'dealing' with (another store manager) said to the interviewer -I like her style!!
    I didn't let it make me big headed though & carried on. after it was all done she said that the process was to mark up the points i got & then inform HR.
    I was told it's very rare but she's gonna tell them yes for sure!!! Yippee!!! I won't hold my breath until I sign a contract & pass the probation period which is 12 weeks (standard).
    In my opinion it was one of the easiest interviews i've ever had.
    I think they look at your personality more than anything else & whether or not you are a genuine person who will fit in to their teams.
    Good luck to anyone who applies & don't panic!!!!

Interview Questions
    • None - I wasn't asked much at all as I gave a clear history of my experiences & it seemed to be enough. Shame cos I did a ton of research!!!
      She only really asked why Sainsburys?
        View Answer

General Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at J Sainsbury.

I applied online and a week later was asked to arrange and interview which I went to two days later. My interview was with one of the department managers and he was really friendly. Also watched a DVD and answered questions about what I saw. What problems I saw, how to handle a situation, basic maths questions and some simple personality questions.

Interview Questions
    • Simple questions, just one question caught be off guard ''why do you want this role in particular?''   Answer Question

General Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Bromley, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bromley, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 6 days - interviewed at J Sainsbury in May 2014.

I applied online on the website and received an email saying I was sucessful the day after my application! I was invited for an interview the following week. I was asked questions about the company, my previous experience, flexibility etc. I think there was another part of the assessment regarding a video but I only had a face to face interview with the section manger. I was told that I was successful after the interview and received an email 2 days later to confirm this.
    My induction was in another store as there is no trainer in this store and it lasted for two days.

Interview Questions
    • What can you tell us about the link about fairtrade and Sainsbury's.   View Answer

Worked for J Sainsbury? Contribute to the Community!