J. Walter Thompson Worldwide Interview Questions in New York City, NY

Updated May 21, 2015

2.7

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at J. Walter Thompson Worldwide (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

I only had a phone interview with them, but it was not very difficult. It was straightforward and lacked depth. However, they did ask me about work specifically done by the company. They asked questions regarding past experiences.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite piece of work done by J. Walter Thompson?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. Walter Thompson Worldwide (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied online and then received a phone interview followed by an offer. Most interns have some sort of a connection to someone that works here. They take around 30 interns each summer.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected... "If you could host one party, what would the theme be?" and loads of Qs about my resume   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation... One of the few NYC PAID internships

Account Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at J. Walter Thompson Worldwide (New York, NY).

Interview

Basically I had a recruiter bring me in, pump me up, sell me as a genius and then it was the easiest process I've ever been through. My boss informed me in the interview that he was leaving, which was weird.

Interview Questions

• What brands do you follow? Really? Who asks a questions like that? Someone who doesn't know.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Three to four offers and counters.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at J. Walter Thompson Worldwide (New York, NY).

Interview

HR was really friendly -- got a phone interview through a connection

Interview Questions

• Tell me something about yourself that not a lot of people know   Answer Question

Assistant Producer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

interviewed at J. Walter Thompson Worldwide (New York, NY) in March 2013.

Interview

I met with JWT for the first time for what I thought was an informational meeting with one of their executive producers. By the end of the that meeting, I realized that JWT had just been awarded a couple big new accounts and were looking to staff up. That night I got a call to come in the next and meet with the Head of Production. A couple weeks later, after various emails back and forth, I got a call from the Head of Production giving me an offer

Interview Questions

• If your life is a screenplay, pick one page that you think best describes who you are as a person and why?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was not much negotiation. I was asked my salary requirements before the offer was given, and ended up being offered the upper end of the salary range I provided. Fairly accommodating on start date.

Digital/Social Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. Walter Thompson Worldwide (New York, NY) in April 2012.

Interview

The process took about two weeks. HR (which has changed since then) was great: smart, attentive, INFORMED and professional. The account team and junior staff were all smart and energetic and focused. The Director of Digital Strategy was a mess. She was late with no apology, she had no idea who I was or why I was there, and asked my age not once but TWICE. (Crazy illegal.) She also seemed to have not read the job description, as what she said she was looking for (design, project management, developer) and what everyone else said they were looking for (copy, strategy) did not match up in the slightest.

Interview Questions

• "How old are you?" and "When did you graduate college?" - both illegal questions.   Answer Question

Account Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. Walter Thompson Worldwide (New York, NY) in August 2011.

Interview

Seemed to go smoothly - very professional. They have a very nice office space. I was impressed with everyone on the team - account people, creatives, planner. Only the HR person seemed a bit cold and uptight. But then again, she scheduled all the interviews. I had 5 in total.

Interview Questions

My company counter-offered. Seemed like JWT was also going through turmoil at the time and I wasn't sure I wanted to join an agency in chaos.

Business Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at J. Walter Thompson Worldwide (New York, NY) in August 2010.

Interview

Pretty open to hiring people outside the industry with varied backgrounds. Met initially with HR based on recommendation from a friend in a senior position. Follow-up included interviews with four other fairly senior business heads. Stayed in contact with the recruiter until they were able to make a provisional offer for freelance, which converted to full-time without any additional interviews or verification.

Interview Questions

• None; basic questions on managing projects, and personality fit.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Came in as a freelancer, and was able to make an offer that was accepted for a 3-month period. Then converted to Full Time and took a fairly significant pay cut, but top pay allowed for the position. Countered to ask for addition $2K and was denied.

IT Support Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at J. Walter Thompson Worldwide (New York, NY) in May 2010.

Interview

Pretty easy due to the fact I had worked at another agency. There person I met was very nice. She seemed to very knowledgeable about the company and what my role would entail.

Negotiation

There wasn't really much room for negotiation.

Vice President, Learning and Development Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at J. Walter Thompson Worldwide (New York, NY) in January 2010.

Interview

Met a few people, but no one seemed to know how to describe the "new" position or give a salary range. Di not like the HR people at all. Too clinical and very disorganized. I wouldn't take the job if it were offered. It would be like going from the frying pan and directly into the fire. Not worth it, even tho this is a prestigious company.