JCP Portraits Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014

2.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 days - interviewed at JCP Portraits in September 2014.

I applied online and got a call for an interview shortly after. The interview was the next day. The questions were simple, they asked about photography and sales experience. They'll have you show your sales skills.

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tucson, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tucson, AZ

I applied in-person - interviewed at JCP Portraits in October 2012.

I filled out the Application at one store, around the beginning of October and got called in for a group interview 3 at a time with 3 different store managers.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if we were swamped and there was a child crying while his/her mom was selecting merchandise?   View Answer
    They offered me 2 stores to choose from.

Studio Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Fredericksburg, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fredericksburg, VA

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at JCP Portraits in July 2013.

Applied online, got a call a few days later from the studio manager asking for a phone interview. A few days afterwards, I went in for a group interview, talked about experiences in previous jobs, life, etc... During the group interview, we watched a short video about the job experience and also went into the camera room to test our photography skills. Got the job a few days later.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a difficult experience and how you solved the issue.   Answer Question

Sale Associate & Photographer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at JCP Portraits.

Very simple. Know how to talk to people. And how to push a button. The rest is pretty much given to you via a bunch of really boring videos and computer training stuff.

It's not a negotiable job.

Sale Associate & Photographer Interview

interviewed at JCP Portraits in October 2012.

I emailed my resume after seeing a posting on a job site, I was given a call the next day and asked to come in for a group interview. We were asked about our experiences as well as personal backgrounds.

Interview Questions
    • She handed us a camera and asked each one of us to take a picture of another girl, the key was to take three different shots without moving the person.   Answer Question
    There was no negotiation, it was basically, this is it do you want it as is?

Photographer/Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Lancaster, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lancaster, PA

I applied online - interviewed at JCP Portraits.

The first question was: Do you like kids?. I answered yes. Obviously you need to like children to work here. Be sure that you can deal with all kinds of kids. I was honest with my interviewer and had also brought a portfolio of my other photography work.

Dress for the occasion. If you go into the interview in ripped jeans and a t-shirt, you will make a bad impression. You are going to be dealing with the public. So dress nice.

No negotiation.

Studio Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tukwila, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tukwila, WA

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at JCP Portraits.

Applied online through Lifetouch photography's website (they provide photographers to JCP and several other studios) I received a call within an hour and the interview was scheduled that day. The interview and job seemed very focused on sales rather than photography. I didn't have experience in sales so the manager asked me to sell him his pen. A few other general questions. I received a call on monday (interview was on saturday) offering me the job, but I declined.

Interview Questions
    • What would you add to our team/why should we hire you?   Answer Question

I declined the offer because while I was there I was waiting for my interview I was able to witness how the studio operated. The associates were unhelpful and the customers were angry. One employee refused to help some customers because she "didn't feel like it." All around, everyone at the location created a pretty toxic work environment that I didn't want to be apart of.

Photographer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days - interviewed at JCP Portraits in August 2011.

I filled out an application and the Store Manager called me in for a face to face interview. We talked for about an hour and a half. She told me about the job and I told her a little about my experience. SM called me back the next day and asked me to call and make an appointment to interview with another SM in the district. That lasted about 45 min. And she invited me into the camera room to assess my camera knowledge.

Interview Questions
    • There really weren't ant unexpected questions. I hate the what's your weakness question.   Answer Question

Studio Team Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chino, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chino, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at JCP Portraits in July 2012.

I was lurking on Monster.com at about 3AM when I found photography listings in my area. I submitted to all of them. Literally, all of them. Started to call around to the photo studios in the area and asking if they were actually hiring - JcPenney Portraits was. I walked into the studio, armed with my laptop, a printed portfolio and my resumé and asked to speak to the manager. Started to speak a million words a minute as to why she should hire me - and I gave them all to her. She took me into the camera room, gave me the camera and told me I had no rules, to take five shots. I took the five shots, she was impressed, submitted me for the background check and I was hired the next day.

Interview Questions
    • The only question I had was "Can you fill out this application? It's a formality."   View Answer
    No negotiations; it's a minimum wage job and you certainly feel it.

Studio Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sterling Heights, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sterling Heights, MI

I applied in-person. The process took 1 week - interviewed at JCP Portraits in June 2012.

I dropped my application off in person. 1 week later I got a call saying that the manager would like to interview me. She asked why I wanted to work there. How was I with children. How do you deal with a screaming child. What's your background in photography. What's my availability. The manager was kind and didn't ask hard questions. She said she had to do a background check but that if that came back clean then I had the job.

Interview Questions

Worked for JCP Portraits? Contribute to the Community!