JCP Portraits

Relevance Date Difficulty

Studio Team Member Interview

Studio Team Member
Fredericksburg, VA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at JCP Portraits in July 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online, got a call a few days later from the studio manager asking for a phone interview. A few days afterwards, I went in for a group interview, talked about experiences in previous jobs, life, etc... During the group interview, we watched a short video about the job experience and also went into the camera room to test our photography skills. Got the job a few days later.

Interview Question – Describe a difficult experience and how you solved the issue.   Answer Question

Sale Associate & Photographer Interview

Sale Associate & Photographer

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at JCP Portraits.

Interview Details – Very simple. Know how to talk to people. And how to push a button. The rest is pretty much given to you via a bunch of really boring videos and computer training stuff.

Negotiation Details – It's not a negotiable job.

Sale Associate & Photographer Interview

Sale Associate & Photographer

I interviewed at JCP Portraits in October 2012.

Interview Details – I emailed my resume after seeing a posting on a job site, I was given a call the next day and asked to come in for a group interview. We were asked about our experiences as well as personal backgrounds.

Interview Question – She handed us a camera and asked each one of us to take a picture of another girl, the key was to take three different shots without moving the person.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation, it was basically, this is it do you want it as is?

Tukwila, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at JCP Portraits.

Interview Details – Applied online through Lifetouch photography's website (they provide photographers to JCP and several other studios) I received a call within an hour and the interview was scheduled that day. The interview and job seemed very focused on sales rather than photography. I didn't have experience in sales so the manager asked me to sell him his pen. A few other general questions. I received a call on monday (interview was on saturday) offering me the job, but I declined.

Interview Question – What would you add to our team/why should we hire you?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I declined the offer because while I was there I was waiting for my interview I was able to witness how the studio operated. The associates were unhelpful and the customers were angry. One employee refused to help some customers because she "didn't feel like it." All around, everyone at the location created a pretty toxic work environment that I didn't want to be apart of.

Photographer Interview

Photographer
Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at JCP Portraits in August 2011.

Interview Details – I filled out an application and the Store Manager called me in for a face to face interview. We talked for about an hour and a half. She told me about the job and I told her a little about my experience. SM called me back the next day and asked me to call and make an appointment to interview with another SM in the district. That lasted about 45 min. And she invited me into the camera room to assess my camera knowledge.

Interview Question – There really weren't ant unexpected questions. I hate the what's your weakness question.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Studio Team Member Interview

Studio Team Member
Chino, CA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at JCP Portraits in July 2012.

Interview Details – I was lurking on Monster.com at about 3AM when I found photography listings in my area. I submitted to all of them. Literally, all of them. Started to call around to the photo studios in the area and asking if they were actually hiring - JcPenney Portraits was. I walked into the studio, armed with my laptop, a printed portfolio and my resumé and asked to speak to the manager. Started to speak a million words a minute as to why she should hire me - and I gave them all to her. She took me into the camera room, gave me the camera and told me I had no rules, to take five shots. I took the five shots, she was impressed, submitted me for the background check and I was hired the next day.

Interview Question – The only question I had was "Can you fill out this application? It's a formality."   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations; it's a minimum wage job and you certainly feel it.

Very Easy Interview

Sterling Heights, MI

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at JCP Portraits in June 2012.

Interview Details – I dropped my application off in person. 1 week later I got a call saying that the manager would like to interview me. She asked why I wanted to work there. How was I with children. How do you deal with a screaming child. What's your background in photography. What's my availability. The manager was kind and didn't ask hard questions. She said she had to do a background check but that if that came back clean then I had the job.

Saint Paul, MN

The process took a day - interviewed at JCP Portraits in January 2010.

Interview Details – it was bland.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – not enough pay.

Sales Manager Trainee Interview

Sales Manager Trainee
Greensboro, NC

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at JCP Portraits in March 2011.

Interview Details – I meet with several Store Managers, then had to meet with two store mangers, then a month later a phone call, all in all after two months of meeting and greeting, I was denied the job due to me not willing to relocate out of state for the job, interview consisted of the basic behavior interview questions, I will say however to know, "what inspires you to wake up each morning" this threw me, there rest were the basic, tell me what you did in this situation, and questions about my previous employers

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – I was not willing to relocate out of state

Photographer Interview

Photographer
Rego Park, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at JCP Portraits in January 2008.

Interview Details – It was my first experience applying for a job and I really couldn't have asked for a friendlier interviewer. She was going through a tough time. I believe her mother was in the hospital. However, she was nothing but nice to me from the start of the interview. She reviewed the information I had written down on a paper questionnaire, before giving me an overview of what would be expected of me in the position. She also made me sell her back her own pen, as part of an exercise to see how well I could push a product. After that, we walked into a separate room and practiced shooting subjects (a teddy bear and various other objects). Thankfully, she had a sense of humor about my poor focusing and gave me helpful tips right off the bat. My technique improved within ten minutes. The next day, I got a call asking me when I wanted to start.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for JC Penney Portrait Studios?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I had no concrete work experience at that point, so there was no room to negotiate. Still, the pay was above minimum wage and it turns out that I was making more than some people who had been there longer.

Worked for JCP Portraits? Contribute to the Community!