JET Program

JET Program Interview Questions

Updated Feb 18, 2015
Updated Feb 18, 2015

Assistant Language Teacher (ALT) Interview

I applied online – interviewed at JET Program.

Applied and got interview in spring, interviewed in front of 3 person panel, very friendly, not as intimidating as I heard they would be. Japanese language section was difficult, but they were understanding.

Assistant Language Teacher (ALT) Interview

I applied online – interviewed at JET Program.

I interviewed in Miami. They were really friendly and mostly based their questions off my statement of purpose. Since I had put a year of Japanese language class on my application, part of my interview was in Japanese where they wanted to test my knowledge.

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied online – interviewed at JET Program in February 2015.

I was interviewed by three people. One was a very sweet Japanese woman and two were middle-aged men who were both alums of JET. I researched on Glassdoor before my interview and felt very intimidated by what I saw. Do not be intimidated but DO be prepared! Be confident in your abilities and make sure your personality shows.

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

I applied online – interviewed at JET Program in February 2015.

Interviewed by three individuals, one Japanese woman and two American men. Not quite good cop/ bad cop scenario, but one was stern the entire time while another was more open. Spit fire questioning for about 25 minutes. If you come prepared (Google how to prepare for JET interview) then you should be able to anticipate most questions. I prepared about 40 questions ahead of time and only had one question that took me off guard.

My general advice: you cannot prepare too much. Come in knowing some Japanese even if you put zero on your application. Dress professionally and conservatively. It is definitely expected of you. If in doubt, just smile. Even if you are nervous.

I still have a month until I hear back, but I think I will receive an offer.

Interview Questions
    • I was so extremely nervous that I know I don't remember some of the questions, but here are some of the ones I do remember:

Tell us about your interest in Japan/JET.

View Answer
    • What did you do to prepare for this interview?   Answer Question
    • How many characters do you know in Japanese?   View Answer
    • Prepare a sample lesson.   View Answer
    • What cultural things about Japan are you interested in?   Answer Question

Assistant Language Teacher (ALT) Interview

You will be interviewed by mainly JET alumni of around 2 to 3. That is the only interview for the entire application. There may or may not be any a Japanese speaker there to test your Japanese, but it's only for their information, so they know how to place you in Japan.

Interview Questions
    • What will you do if you're just being used as a tape recorder?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at JET Program.

The application process is very long. The interview itself is very formal and you must wear a suit and be ready to bow and follow appropriate Japanese etiquette. In my interview there was a panel of 4 interviewers, they were very serious and did not smile or try to give off a friendly/casual vibe. Some questions will be easy while others will be difficult. It is important to remain up beat and positive.

Interview Questions
    • Please put together a short 5 minute lesson plan using the materials in this room for a class of 20, 8-10 year olds wanting to learn English on the topic of your favorite snack.

As a Japanese-American you may face certain situations in which you could be treated unfairly compared to your peers, how would you deal with that situation?

How would you explain the atomic bombing of Nagasaki and Hiroshima to an 8 year old student?

Answer Question

Assistant Language Teacher (ALT) Interview

I interviewed for the JET Programme twice and was waitlisted both times. The common feature of both interviews was that they'll ask you sometimes strange questions to throw you off. Basically they are looking for you to get flustered. Don't be surprised if you leave the interview not having any idea how it went. I think this is their way of seeing how you adapt to strange questions or situations. If you stay calm, polite, and friendly, you should be fine.

Interview Questions
    • I taught public health in Kenya prior to JET and they asked me if I thought that was more important than teaching English in Japan.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

You will be contacted by your local consulate if you qualify for an interview. You will be interviewed by a tribunal of a former JET, an employee of the consulate, and a third party. They will most likely be behind a desk, and you will be given a chair in the open.

There is no negotiation phase.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at JET Program in February 2014.

The entire process takes about 6 months, so be patient.

JET has an extensive paper application process that occurs in the fall. There are a lot of forms to fill out, plus you need two recommendations as well as the all important Statement of Purpose (SOP). You must be very meticulous to make sure everything is completed correctly or you will not receive an interview.

I submitted my application in late November and heard that I been granted an interview in January. My interview was at the Japanese consulate in Atlanta in late February. My panel consisted of three people - a consulate employee (Japanese), a university professor, and a former ALT. The interview was relatively relaxed and not too difficult overall. Be sure to demonstrate your passion for teaching! Be very outgoing and SPEAK SLOWLY when you are "teaching the class." Also, specific interests/skills are a plus. I really played up my musical background and expressed my interest in helping out with Japanese bands while working as an ALT. I didn't have any Japanese language experience, but I demonstrated extensive knowledge of Japanese history and culture (talking about film and music, among other things), which is a plus. Above all, be courteous and smile!

After my interview I heard back roughly 4 weeks later that I had been offered a position. Unfortunately I had to turn it down, but overall the application/interview process was a pleasant experience.

Interview Questions
    • Imagine you have to introduce a famous American historical figure to a group of Japanese students. Now talk about that figure as if we were your students.   View Answer

While the JET program looks like a fantastic experience, it wasn't my first choice. I received a great offer from my first choice employer, so I had to turn down JET.

Assistant Language Teacher (ALT) Interview

The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at JET Program in February 2014.

I was advised to knock three times on the door before entering. I sat down facing a panel of three interviewers. One a former JET (female), one was a governmental, and one person was native Japanese. I was asked about if I keep up with current events, how I will handle culture shock, and (in Japanese) what I ate that morning. (I mentioned in my application that I had taken 2 years in college). It went by so fast! I felt I could have done a little better, and fitting, I was offered an alternate position. I'm going to accept it and hope they have a position for me, because I hear that a lot of people decline the offer due to finding other jobs, marriage, etc.

Interview Questions
    • We are 4th graders. Teach us a lesson about one of your hobbies.   Answer Question