JMP Securities

Updated Jun 17, 2014
Updated Jun 17, 2014

2.3

Equity Research Intern Interview

Spoke and interviewed over the phone in two interviews. Mostly behavior questions and what I was involved in at school and why I wanted the position. It was different for me because I was in the Northeast and was interviewing for the position across the country.

Wanted something closer to home.

Investment Banking Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at JMP Securities in September 2012.

Interviewed for Biotech group. Mostly fit questions. Friendly people

Equity Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at JMP Securities in July 2012.

I was hired as an experienced associate. The interview process depended almost entirely on speaking with the senior analyst I would be working with. My interviews with him included discussing the sector in general, discussing specific companies and what I liked and disliked about them. I also had to provide references which was the most important part. Since I had previously worked in research with people he knew their recommendation was more important than anything. I also went into the office to meet a few other people. Some of the other analysts in our vertical mostly to make sure I was reasonably presentable and could talk to people. The interview process would also normally include speaking with a specialty sales person but in my case this individual was out of the office. In addition, he had me update a one of his models for the latest quarter which is easy if you have experience working in models. He emailed it to me and had me email it back so he knew roughly how long it took. I also updated the forecast to be roughly in line with consensus since I didn't know his thesis and whether he would want to be above or below the street.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected. I needed to know the industry and the "stories" of the major players in the large markets and be able to speak intelligently about both and how the macro environment at the time could impact them.   Answer Question
    The pay was drastically below market but several people in the industry recommended I take it anyway as the senior analyst I am working with is very good. HR said they bring in all associates at the same level and they can adjust that after you start based on performance (still waiting to see how this plays out).

Analyst Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at JMP Securities in January 2010.

It was really great. I felt that the people cared about me and the experiences I had.

Research Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at JMP Securities in April 2009.

I reached out to the research analyst who I heard was looking to hire an associate. After interviewing with him for an hour (largely fit questions) I was asked to write a short initiation report on a company under his coverage. After that I conducted one phone interview with head of sales and our DoR. After this process was finished I was given an offer.

Interview Questions
    • Why should we hire you given your lack of writing experience in a research capapcity?   Answer Question
    • Why would you want to make the transition from the buy-side to the sell-side?   Answer Question