Jackson Laboratory Interview Questions in Maine

Updated Jun 19, 2015

Bioinformatics Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bar Harbor, ME

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Jackson Laboratory (Bar Harbor, ME) in December 2014.

Interview

I applied to jax in october for computational bioinformarics position. After a week, i had been contacted from hr department. Interview lasted 20 minutes asking me about my background, future plans and why jackson After two weeks, contacted by hiring manager who is in charge of Computational group for telephone intetview. Asked about my projects and few technical questions After a week, I got invitation for an onsite interview at bar harbor site. Jax arranged hotel and travel. Interview started at 7.30am and ended at 7.30 pm with dinner. Interacted with nearly 20 people in group with one-one and group panel interviews. Finally hiring manager asked me to send recommendations. Interviews were primarily about past skills and hr questions Still hasn't heard after a month. Most likely they choose another candidate

Director Online and Digital Technology Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bar Harbor, ME

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Jackson Laboratory (Bar Harbor, ME) in September 2014.

Interview

The interview process had several rounds and was very thorough. My face to face interview was laid back but had high expectations. The process was very fair throughout until one final phone call to which the interviewer asked questions that were too detailed without me first being prepared for. This last phone call went poorly. It was a lesson for me and I would suggest all people interviewing over the phone to have a detailed list of their work history down to the specific works done throughout their work history. Seems like a great group to work for.

Interview Questions

• Overall work history and detailed questions about my works, grants, projects, certifications, etc.   Answer Question

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bar Harbor, ME

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Jackson Laboratory (Bar Harbor, ME) in April 2014.

Interview

I was contacted for a phone interview and then later called back to arrange an in-person interview at the lab. That in-person interview consisted with mini-interviews with supervisors, me giving a talk on my research experience, and had a long interview with the primary investigator. The in-person portion was a full day.

Interview Questions

• How have your research and other experiences prepared you for this position?   1 Answer

Fire Protection Systems Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bar Harbor, ME

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jackson Laboratory (Bar Harbor, ME).

Interview

Received a very pleasant call from their HR office to schedule an interview. Was a bit of a panel interview; first sat down with the same woman from the phone; just as nice in person as on the phone- an excellent person for HR. She had standard personal questions; my background, why I applied for Jackson Labs, what I know about their organization, etc (It helps to do your homework, but I learned enough to ace that just by looking at the brochures and tv in their waiting area.) Be enthusiastic and excited about what they are accomplishing as an organization, and emphasize that you would love to be a part of that. Next was interviewed by the position supervisor and the person I would be replacing. They asked some of the mid-level questions; what do you know about the position, what is your background, how does it pertain to the position. They will ask about past projects in your portfolio- that is, something you've done that you're proud of, etc. as well as something you're not so proud of. Overall it went well. Next I was brought to be interviewed by the manager, who is former Navy- which I think helped my coming out of the military slightly. He had more in depth questions about my background, but he also talked a lot about the position and what they do there. Again, show enthusiasm and convey that you're excited about the position and you want to be an asset for them. He did ask what was something that happened at work where you messed up or things went very wrong, what did you do to respond to it, and what did you learn from it. He also did a basic check on learning, having me identify a BNC connector on a cable for a vibration detector and a bearing as well. He gave me a very lengthy tour of the facility, which made me more excited about the place. As we went along we spoke to other employees. I didn't meet anyone who had been there less than 5 years, most more than 10- which says a lot about the company. All in all I was interviewed by four people in about 3&1/2 hours and left at the very end of the day with a great feeling. I asked what the next step was, and was told that they would be interviewing other people for the position and would call the best two in for second interviews. I got a call at 9am the next morning asking me to come in again; which I thought was all-but a guarantee in. Turned out to not be an interview, but a sort-of meet-and-greet with the other employees in the section. Basically to see if you get along with them and how well you would work with them. It was much more informal. I kept it professional, but somewhat relaxed. I thought it went well, but I got an email a few days later saying they "were pleased with the caliber of applicants," and that "I was most notable of the applicants, but they had chose to continue their search at this time." Ouch. At least they had the professionalism to follow up and let you know though. In my job search I have had agencies who not only don't let you know when it's a no, but go as far as to avoid your calls when you follow up on it yourself. Overall Jackson seems like an outstanding facility and a great place to work- if you can get in.

Interview Questions

• -What's an example of something professional that you're most proud of? -What's an example of a time when you messed up at work or things went really wrong? How did you react to it? What did you learn from it? -How would you handle a difficult coworker who is behaving in a poor or bad manner?   Answer Question

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bar Harbor, ME

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Jackson Laboratory (Bar Harbor, ME) in September 2012.

Interview

Extensive telephone interviews, first with search firm, then two with hiring manager. Flown to Boston for first in person interview with hiring manager and search firm. Second interview at the main office with tours of the labs and surrounding area. Very nice, very comfortable. Third interview in Philadelphia with CEO.

Interview Questions

• Do you feel that your enthusiasm regarding this position and its responsibilities might be a negative?   1 Answer

Postdoctoral Associate/Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bar Harbor, ME

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jackson Laboratory (Bar Harbor, ME) in December 2011.

Interview

I applied the position by directly sending the application to the PI. The PI I applied did not have any position open at that time, and forwarded my CV to another PI who does similar research. And later they managed to get a panel (about 10 peoples) to interview me through a teleconference, as i was overseas.

Interview Questions

• First talked to the PI who was recruiting for about 30 min. Then about 1 hour (45 min presentation and 10+min Q&A) talk through a teleconference. If I was in the States I believe that should be an on-site interview instead. Then talk to the recruiting PI again.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Postdoc salary follows the NIH standard

Customer Service Representative I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bar Harbor, ME

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jackson Laboratory (Bar Harbor, ME) in July 2011.

Interview

Started with a preliminary phone interview asking basic questions clearing qualifications. First face to face interview was with HR discussing work ethic, approach to customer service and prior work history. After this one it was a panel interview with several supervisors in the customer service department. Again, just asking about approach to customer service. This was followed by a writing test.

Interview Questions

• The writing test was unexpected. Just a basic scenario in which you are replying in an email to a customer.   Answer Question

Data Warehouse Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bar Harbor, ME

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Jackson Laboratory (Bar Harbor, ME) in October 2008.

Interview

Had an initial technical interview over the phone. Weeks later, was invited to visit the facility for a day of interviews. Due to the distance and flight schedules, the Jax Lab (as some call it) paid travel expenses. Maine was cold at the time. I was very impressed by the facility, the technical skills and friendliness of the people, as well as the work-life atmosphere at the lab. Participated in 6 or 7 interviews in one busy day... mostly groups of 2 - 4 people each. It seemed to go well, but I was sad to learn that I wasn't the best-fit candidate for this opportunity. As I spoke with several people locally (Bar Harbor and Ellsworth, Maine) no one had anything but praise for Jackson Laboratory. They are definitely an 'employer of choice'.

Interview Questions

• Are you familiar with the Kimball methodology for data warehousing?   1 Answer