Jackson Laboratory Interview Questions in Maine

2.6

4 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Fire Protection Systems Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bar Harbor, ME

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Jackson Laboratory.

Received a very pleasant call from their HR office to schedule an interview. Was a bit of a panel interview; first sat down with the same woman from the phone; just as nice in person as on the phone- an excellent person for HR. She had standard personal questions; my background, why I applied for Jackson Labs, what I know about their organization, etc (It helps to do your homework, but I learned enough to ace that just by looking at the brochures and tv in their waiting area.) Be enthusiastic and excited about what they are accomplishing as an organization, and emphasize that you would love to be a part of that.

Next was interviewed by the position supervisor and the person I would be replacing. They asked some of the mid-level questions; what do you know about the position, what is your background, how does it pertain to the position. They will ask about past projects in your portfolio- that is, something you've done that you're proud of, etc. as well as something you're not so proud of. Overall it went well.

Next I was brought to be interviewed by the manager, who is former Navy- which I think helped my coming out of the military slightly. He had more in depth questions about my background, but he also talked a lot about the position and what they do there. Again, show enthusiasm and convey that you're excited about the position and you want to be an asset for them. He did ask what was something that happened at work where you messed up or things went very wrong, what did you do to respond to it, and what did you learn from it. He also did a basic check on learning, having me identify a BNC connector on a cable for a vibration detector and a bearing as well. He gave me a very lengthy tour of the facility, which made me more excited about the place. As we went along we spoke to other employees. I didn't meet anyone who had been there less than 5 years, most more than 10- which says a lot about the company. All in all I was interviewed by four people in about 3&1/2 hours and left at the very end of the day with a great feeling. I asked what the next step was, and was told that they would be interviewing other people for the position and would call the best two in for second interviews.

I got a call at 9am the next morning asking me to come in again; which I thought was all-but a guarantee in. Turned out to not be an interview, but a sort-of meet-and-greet with the other employees in the section. Basically to see if you get along with them and how well you would work with them. It was much more informal. I kept it professional, but somewhat relaxed. I thought it went well, but I got an email a few days later saying they "were pleased with the caliber of applicants," and that "I was most notable of the applicants, but they had chose to continue their search at this time." Ouch.

At least they had the professionalism to follow up and let you know though. In my job search I have had agencies who not only don't let you know when it's a no, but go as far as to avoid your calls when you follow up on it yourself. Overall Jackson seems like an outstanding facility and a great place to work- if you can get in.

Interview Questions
    • -What's an example of something professional that you're most proud of?
      -What's an example of a time when you messed up at work or things went really wrong? How did you react to it? What did you learn from it?
      -How would you handle a difficult coworker who is behaving in a poor or bad manner?
        Answer Question

Senior Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bar Harbor, ME

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Jackson Laboratory in September 2012.

Extensive telephone interviews, first with search firm, then two with hiring manager.
    Flown to Boston for first in person interview with hiring manager and search firm.
    Second interview at the main office with tours of the labs and surrounding area. Very nice, very comfortable.
    Third interview in Philadelphia with CEO.

Interview Questions
    • Do you feel that your enthusiasm regarding this position and its responsibilities might be a negative?   View Answer

Customer Service Representative I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bar Harbor, ME

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Jackson Laboratory in July 2011.

Started with a preliminary phone interview asking basic questions clearing qualifications. First face to face interview was with HR discussing work ethic, approach to customer service and prior work history. After this one it was a panel interview with several supervisors in the customer service department. Again, just asking about approach to customer service. This was followed by a writing test.

Interview Questions
    • The writing test was unexpected. Just a basic scenario in which you are replying in an email to a customer.   Answer Question

Data Warehouse Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bar Harbor, ME

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Jackson Laboratory in October 2008.

Had an initial technical interview over the phone. Weeks later, was invited to visit the facility for a day of interviews. Due to the distance and flight schedules, the Jax Lab (as some call it) paid travel expenses. Maine was cold at the time. I was very impressed by the facility, the technical skills and friendliness of the people, as well as the work-life atmosphere at the lab. Participated in 6 or 7 interviews in one busy day... mostly groups of 2 - 4 people each. It seemed to go well, but I was sad to learn that I wasn't the best-fit candidate for this opportunity.

As I spoke with several people locally (Bar Harbor and Ellsworth, Maine) no one had anything but praise for Jackson Laboratory. They are definitely an 'employer of choice'.

Interview Questions
    • Are you familiar with the Kimball methodology for data warehousing?   View Answer

Worked for Jackson Laboratory? Contribute to the Community!