James Hardie

3.3

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at James Hardie.

Started off with phone interview with recruiter. Fairly simple questioning about past work history etc. After passing that I had to take several assessments online. After those scores were received, I was asked to do a video interview, where you record your questions. From there I had a phone interview with the regional sales manager. I found his line of questioning aggressive. I'm not sure if he was just seeing how I would react to the situation, or how I handled it, but it caught me off guard. The manager was 45 minutes late to the call, which wasn't a problem as it was in the evening, but when I asked if I had the correct time, he was aggressive in his response and made me feel bad for questioning him. The interview was more of the same, where he asked a lot of the same questions, different ways. I kept responding and I don't know if I was just not clear in my responses or again he wanted to see how I handled the questions, but I could sense some frustration from him. When it was my turn to ask questions at the end, I simply asked him why the position was open, trying to figure out if it was a new position or if the previous person had been promoted (showing me they promote their people and provide advancement opportunities). He took offense to that question and quickly snapped back asking why it matters? This was the final red flag to me. I thought the interview went horrible, one of the worst in my career, however yet again I got a call from the recruiter the next day letting me know I was on to the next round.

I politely declined and withdrew from consideration for the job.

Interview Questions
  • Nothing difficult or unexpected. Pretty standard questions about past work history, sales objectives met, etc.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for James Hardie

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at James Hardie.

JH contacted me via a career website for a sales position in the New York city area. I had one phone interview which went well, winning me a second interview in California (JH paid travel expenses). The interviews took place in a hotel meeting room across from John Wayne Airport. Prior to the interview, I was seated with several other candidates in another meeting room. When it was my time to interview, I was greeted by the person from HR who conducted my phone interview. He greeted me with the standard, "Wow, you are not as tall as I expected" to which I replied, "I didn't know there was a heighth requirement for the job." Once in the interview, it was the typical "good cop, bad cop" scenario". The interviewers were obviously trying to put you in a uncomfortable situation to see how you would react under pressure. At one point in the interview, they were making fun of me being from the South. Finally, I decided to leave the interview because I had made the hiring decision for them. As I was leaving, one of the interviewers said, "Send me a postcard if you ever get a job in New York City." After speaking with several other candidates following the interview, I realized that my experience was not unique.

Interview Questions
    • How would you sell our products to a general contractor?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Savannah, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Savannah, GA

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at James Hardie in April 2010.

I was contacted by the hiring manager at JH and passed his phone screen and was sent on to a phone interview with the hiring manager. They were looking for someone very numbers detailed and not so much into relationship building. The initial manager I talked to made it seem that it was more of a relationship building position, than a hunter position, so I focused on those abilities in my second interview. During which I learned that it was actually more of a chasing numbers job and they didn't really care about my abilitiy to build a relationship with my clients.

Interview Questions
    • What would you like me to know about your resume?   Answer Question
    • What you have experience selling to dealers or just end users?   Answer Question